Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice

Choosing the best wall paint color to coordinate with your living room furnishings can be difficult. This is a guide about living room wall paint color advice.

July 29, 2013 Flag

I had a similar problem when I moved to my older condo 8 years ago. The counter tops were a unique laminate red color, which I absolutely loved. The wallpaper on the walls was horrible. I removed it and then thought about a wall color that would enhance my red counters.

My idea was a success! I went to a paint store and looked at red paints and brought home cards with the paint color samples on it that I thought were closest to my counter. From there, I picked one that was a match! Then I went back to the paint store and found the booklets they have with coordinating color schemes for paint colors . In my case, I was able to find a three-color coordinating scheme that included my red counter top color, and painted my walls with one of those three colors. It resulted in a perfectly harmonious color blend, and an accent to my counter top color! I then used the third color for accent decor ideas.

My suggestion would work if you were trying to coordinate with a piece of furniture too. Just find that color in a paint chip, and look for the coordinating colors offered. Almost every paint brand does this, so if one doesn't have it, you can use your color card to search the other brands, so you don't have to bring home samples from every company.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have cream walls in my living room, can I put up cream lace curtains. The furniture is red and cream and the dining table chairs and table and TV stand are black. Would cream curtains go with a cream wall? It is a council flat, but it is my home. Any ideas?

It sounds like a great idea. Just make sure it is the same exact shade of cream as your walls, because it can look a little 'off' when the colors don't quite match.

November 27, 2016 Flag

I have a large room 700 sq. ft. with 2 burgundy chairs and a light grey couch. What color should I paint the walls?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you want to be very dramatic, you could paint the walls a light to medium charcoal. If that's too dramatic for your taste, you could use the same light grey as the couch to which has been added a small amount of the burgundy in the chairs. That should harmonize the room rather well.

October 29, 2016 Flag

I have a medium sized living room with a dark brown couch and chairs and a deep cherry TV stand, coffee table, and end tables. I have a faux deep cherry fire place as well. I have one regular window and an open adjoining dining room and open adjoining office. Both other rooms have two regular sized windows each. There are similar furnishings in each. I currently have Cascade antique gold curtains with hints of cranberry and hunter green that are shimmery in nature. I'm at an impasse as to what color to paint my walls. Any suggestions?

I first though to paint an accent wall behind the TV opposite my window, a cranberry color and then use a creamy white on the rest of the walls. I have jacquard fabric furniture covers that are burgandy and flip to tan. I'm not sure if this would look right. As of now, my walls are a dull white, almost grey tone and look very dull.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

it would really help to see a picture of the room. So saying, considering the dark, rich colours that you describe, the first thought that comes to me is some sort of light yellow, such as this:

go to link attached and insert first 1215, 127, 155, or 7499. You could even venture towards 9020 C or 9181 U, to take it a different direction

https://www.pan  com/color-finder

October 22, 2016 Flag

My living and dining area is 1 large room. They are painted a harvest gold with white trim, my curtains are gold stripe, and the sofa is tan. I have put down new carpet, mostly grey with a touch of tan that shows in the sunlight. But it is really grey. I want to paint the rooms grey, but will that match the sofa and the curtains? I really don't want to go to the expense of buying new curtains. Should I paint gray or leave gold in your opinion.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you should leave gold. Grey walls sound very overwhelming to me.

Have you thought of going in a different direction? I feel like something in the red spectrum would go really great and liven up the room while contrasting nicely. Something like a salmon or lighter.

October 18, 2016 Flag

I have a terracotta tannish settee, with dark traditional furniture and wooden oak floors. What colour do I paint my walls? The room is not large.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I feel like a light version of the primary colours (red, blue, or yellow) would work really well with this setup. Examples of what I envision are:

light blue - http://0.tqn.co  aleturquoise.png

light red - http://www.colo  olors/FFCCCB.png

light yellow - http://www.free  ream-600x360.png

October 5, 2016 Flag

I have a rather large living room, a white leather sofa (sectional, small), 2 gray swivel recliners, and hardwood floors. My accent furniture is rather dark. What color would I paint my living room? Also, I have a peaked 20 feet ceiling. Upon leaving the living room and entering the kitchen everything in the kitchen is some form of gray. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would stick with the gray. Pale pale on at least three walls and a stronger version on the wall that would visually shorten and soften the room. You can then go a little color crazy on accessories: pillows, area rug (5x7or 8x10) under the coffee table area. If you are not formal,you can even use one of the outdoor rugs that are now on clearance. Solid or patterned, They have finished edges and easy to clean. If you don't want a rug, have fun mwith FullLength drapes please. Patterned drapes are a frame for the window and a cheap smile of color framing the light. Great prints or posters on the wall. A plant or two. Or three clearance "gazing balls" on cheap varied height candle stands?

It's so much cheaper and easier to replace or change-by-whim accessories than wall color.

I envy you that spacious room to play with. Don't forget a colorful appropriate throw over the back of the chair. The elegance and warmth depend on you, but I bet DVF has throws in her house too.

August 21, 2016 Flag

I have purchased a new suite and am struggling to think of wall colours. The suite is light - in between cream and grey. I am going for dark wood floor. What colour would you recommend I paint the walls? I would like to wallpaper the chimney breast again struggling to think of what colour. I have mango wood furniture in the room. It is a large and light room. I do like greens and duck egg.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think rich, deep colours would do well here for one wall, in particular am liking maroon or other deep red. YOu could also go navy blue. The remaining walls could be a light cream yellow or, if your 4th wall is maroon, a light rosy cream - or if its' navy, a light robin egg blue.

May 28, 2016 Flag

I have an olive green sofa with a recliner that has a green, gold, and burgundy checkerboard patterned upholstery. What color should I paint the walls in my new house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would use pale gold, or White

July 21, 2016 Flag

My kitchen has grey walls, white cabinets, black worktops, and will have black and white tiles when it's finished and red accessories. I want advice on what color to have in my living room so that both rooms flow as you have to walk through the living room to get to the kitchen. At the moment the walls are a neutral color (we mixed a bit of light brown in with magnolia so that it would be a bit darker) and cream wallpaper with red flowers. The sofas are dark brown with cream cushions and light brown carpet (which might be changing we're not sure yet) and the fireplace is a light brown wood. I was liking the look of a silver wallpaper, but no idea what color to go with it (or if it will be too much). What color wallpaper/paint would you suggest? Sorry for the long post.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just really love the bold choice, black and white is SUCH a great contrasting colour scheme! And the touch of red is just masterful.

So saying, there are two different universes happening in the kitchen and living room. The kitchen seems this mod, almost minimalistic look, but the living room seems more rustic and traditional with the colours and flowers.

One thing you could do (especially if you don't have a huge budget) is have highlights or accents in the kitchen that complement the living room (IE bring in some wooden rustic furnishings, or things with flowers and brown colours), at the same time that you incorporate the monochrome into the living room, through maybe metallic accents, furnishings, or monochrome art.

the silver paper might be great but then you may have to change everything in that room because I dont' see it working with what's there

October 7, 2016 Flag

I have off white colored walls with a black fabric couch with gray and white flowers printed on it. What color curtains would go best with it? I am looking for a double rod curtain set to let sunlight through. Please suggest?

TIA :)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Personally, I would go with solid gray curtains, as near to the gray in the couch to pick up that color. Nothing floral, of course.

June 28, 2015 Flag

I just lost my parents, my mom on Christmas Day 2014 and dad just a few weeks ago. Now have their furniture.

For the living room - I have a primarily white cloth sofa with tiny floral print in red and dark blue flowers with green stems and leaves, a white leather loveseat, and my mother's custom Louis XVI throne chairs (made for her design specs in the late 1950s) of pale "baby blue" (a.k.a "powder blue" or "sky blue") crushed velvet and slightly-lighter shade of same blue tinted wood. Their living room (in the house where I grew up) had wall-to-wall high pile carpeting that was was emerald green when I was a child in the 1960s-'70s, and a light mushroom color when I was an adult in the 1980s, '90s, and early 2000s - always with white walls. It also had a pair of pale yellow tinted wood bookcases, which I also have. The tables are brass with glass tops, and a pecan wood table. I think I also still have my parents' pale yellow throw pillows that used to sit on the patterned sofa. (The white leather love seat was newer, I didn't grow up with that.)

I am moving into a new house. It has golden oak hardwood floors. I own an antique late-1920s/early-1930s Art Deco console bar (a Prohibition-era "hideaway" bar) that is gilded emerald green leather and black lacquered wood, which I would like to put in the living room.

This sounds busy, but since the furniture is almost completely all white upholstery, it's really not so crazy with too many colors. But I am at a loss to figure out what color to paint the walls. The room is darker than either the living room I grew up with or the one in this house that I've lived in for 30 years, and it's smaller than either of the other rooms, too.

I have a textured tall white pottery floor lamp, a few wooden floor lamps (darker woods), and pale yellow with blue ginger jar table lamps, as well as my grandparents' antique Stiffel brass table lamps. Also, we have hubby's family's antique piano - a mid-century dark black-brown lacquered Baldwin Acrosonic spinet - and my family's antique piano - a nearly 200-year old upright piano of red mahogany and hand carving all over it. We don't need two pianos and there isn't room for them at the new house. (We're downsizing, as we're now seniors.) It is likeliest that we'll be able to sell the Baldwin spinet piano faster and easier than my upright piano, so we expect to keep the red mahogany upright instrument.

I really hate white walls, having grown up in a house with nothing but white walls and little artwork hanging on those. My parents preferred other forms of art than paintings or prints. I'd like not to have to paint the walls in my own living room white, unless there's no other good option. I do, however, have plenty of oil paintings from hubby's family home, and a good number of prints, and a lot of original water color paintings, oil paintings, and sketches (hubby's sister was an artist).

Help! What color(s) would look best on the walls of my new living room?
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That was supposed to be "loveseat". lol

Does this help to figure out the color palette?

I just dislike white walls, period. No matter if they are adorned or unadorned with artwork of any kind. I just really dislike white walls much like I prefer white gloss woodwork and hate all-white rooms. I cannot live with an all-white (or even a 95% white) room - especially my living room. sigh

September 22, 2016 Flag

I am painting a room that is 26 feet by 15 feet. I have green and brown plaid furniture, dark floors, and cream walls now. I want something warmer. What color would be best?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I BELIEVE A LOVELY APRICOT, NOT TOO DARK AS TO APPEAR ORANGE THOUGH.;

January 13, 2014 Flag

I have an orange leather sofa and yellow leather loveseat. What color should I paint the walls?

By Josef F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yellow and orange - I would suggest a lighter yellow, or a soft green, but depending on the effect you want, you could even go with a fairly intense blue. What color is the floor/carpet, draperies, etc.? Rugs, pillows, and decorative items will be needed to pull all this together, but would be fun. By changing some accessories as pillows, vases, and such, you can have a new and exciting look several times a year.

May 26, 2016 Flag

My sofa is shades of aqua and white. What color should I paint the walls?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

wow, I love the idea of the monochrome, but it would only work if all your other furniture was aqua/white. If so, you could just paint it a medium shade of aqua, such as this https://s-media  8f6320a26e6c.jpg

July 29, 2016 Flag

I'm getting living room furniture that is gold colored. What might be some wall color options that would complement these pieces? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Navy Blue, at least on one wall, gold is so complimented with gold, google it and see. Linda H.

July 20, 2015 Flag

I will eventually be getting a suede colored recliner and couch. I have a green recliner in the living room. Right now the walls are a tan color. I want to brighten up the room. Do you think a red color would match? Please offer suggestions. Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the sofa set you are getting is brown and the recliner is green, I'm thinking a lighter shade of the recliner green, not necessarily pastel but two to three shades lighter.

November 3, 2015 Flag

I have a brown carpet with caramel flecks in it plus steel grey furniture. What colours should I paint the walls? One wall is very long, but has a fireplace and TV on it.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might also go with a brownish/grey walls. All shades of grey are very trendy now. White trim is often used with the grey. You might do the one wall in a darker shade.

March 1, 2016 Flag

I have brown furniture, cream colored carpet, and black throw rugs. What color should I paint my walls?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

With those colors you could paint the walls just about any color you like. But depending upon the light coming in the room and how much brown furniture you do have. Personally, I'm pretty conservative with wall color in my living room. I know this doesn't help you much but just a thought.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJune 24, 2013
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Can of paint with a spill on white table.
Removing Paint Stains from Wood Furniture
Living Room 2 Different Colors
Painting a Living Room 2 Different Colors
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 10:47:52 AM on 10.0.1.137 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.