Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Nicely decorated living room.

Choosing the best wall paint color to coordinate with your living room furnishings can be difficult. This is a guide about living room wall paint color advice.

Solutions: Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Matching Paint To Existing Colors

I had a similar problem when I moved to my older condo 8 years ago. The counter tops were a unique laminate red color, which I absolutely loved. The wallpaper on the walls was horrible. I removed it and then thought about a wall color that would enhance my red counters.

My idea was a success! I went to a paint store and looked at red paints and brought home cards with the paint color samples on it that I thought were closest to my counter. From there, I picked one that was a match! Then I went back to the paint store and found the booklets they have with coordinating color schemes for paint colors . In my case, I was able to find a three-color coordinating scheme that included my red counter top color, and painted my walls with one of those three colors. It resulted in a perfectly harmonious color blend, and an accent to my counter top color! I then used the third color for accent decor ideas.

My suggestion would work if you were trying to coordinate with a piece of furniture too. Just find that color in a paint chip, and look for the coordinating colors offered. Almost every paint brand does this, so if one doesn't have it, you can use your color card to search the other brands, so you don't have to bring home samples from every company.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice.

Question: Paint Color Advice for Living Room

I have a burgundy, leather couch and a dark brown entertainment stand. My floor is wood, a light brown. It is an open concept room. What colour can I paint my walls?

By CH

Most Recent Answer

By Dena R.09/27/2013

Blues go well with burgundies and browns.

Question: Living Room Paint Color Advice

I have a light gray sofa and love seat. What color is good for the wall?

By Sara

I have a navy blue leather sofa and chair and also a blue recliner and a tan recliner. The rugs are a medium blue. I just tore down wallpaper--left with white walls. What color would look best against all this blue? I have a dark wood fireplace and dark wood furniture as well.

By Marcia N.

Most Recent Answer

By Sharon03/20/2014

I have dark blue furniture too and a fireplace. My walls are a lighter color of yellow that brightens the room. I know it is not the in fashion coloring but it cheers the room up for me. I also have cream colored sheers with cream and dark blue print toile valances. I recommend that you get some paint chips or a small container of paint sample to help you decide. Good luck!

I have just moved into a home which has a grey/sage mix carpet like a fleck. I have cream sofas. There is a fireplace wall I want to paint or paper. Would grey stone paper or brick red look best or what colour would you advise? Also what colour cushions, etc. should I use to tie it all in together? I do not want it to look too masculine. Thanks.

By Pippa F

Question: Wall Colour Advice

I have a plain beige carpet, a beige marble fireplace, and a black leather suite. Half way down my walls there is a white PVC dado rail. My curtains are bold with a beige flower and black background. There's also a black rug with a creamy flower. What colour paint should I do my walls in?

By Trish S.

Most Recent Answer

By Vickye Massey [2]02/21/2014

Red would be beautiful.

Question: Paint Color Suggestion for Living Room

I am looking for a paint color suggestion for a 14 x 19 living room with good light adjoining my dining room which is painted dark olive.

By crhodes

Question: What Color Paint for my Living Room?

I have an orange leather sofa and yellow leather loveseat. What color should I paint the walls?

By Josef F.

Best Answer

By Sheilah Link01/13/2014

Yellow and orange - I would suggest a lighter yellow, or a soft green, but depending on the effect you want, you could even go with a fairly intense blue. What color is the floor/carpet, draperies, etc.? Rugs, pillows, and decorative items will be needed to pull all this together, but would be fun. By changing some accessories as pillows, vases, and such, you can have a new and exciting look several times a year.

Brown couch.I'm still moving in and would like to paint my walls before adding any other furniture. My couches are a paper bag brown leather and my walls are white. I was thinking chocolate brown for the main wall or match all walls in the living room with the couches.

By Tiara P

Most Recent Answer

By Elizabeth Kent12/23/2013

Your chocolate couch will go with any color, so pick your favorite color. As a sample, mine is orchid, so we started with that color and cut the shade in half (at the store) and it turned out to be very pale orchid, not a shock to the system. In another room, we have another favorite color, aqua - did the same thing and all of it is very livable. We haven't changed the colors and still love them for 14 years. It's getting time to repaint and we are going for the same colors again. So, seriously consider what are the favorite colors in your family. The wall area closest to the kitty steps is the actual color I was discussing, we have black furniture.

RE: Living Room Paint Color Advice

Beige loveseat with dark base.I got a brown and beige chair and what to know what color should I paint the living room, please?

By Jolaine

Question: Rust Colored Couch with Light Blue Walls

I just painted my walls in the living room "morning breeze" which is a light blue. My friend just gave me a very nice sectional; the only problem is that the color is rust. Is there a way to make it work without having to repaint?

By T.Carreno from LA, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Nightsong10/23/2013

I like the pillow idea. You might also try small throw rugs or curtains with blue, white and rust in them.

What color would look good on my living room walls? I have medium dark brown leather couches, a brown very large entertainment center, vaulted ceilings and orange/yellow terracotta tile. I'm trying to go with a Tuscan/Mediterranean style.

By SR

Question: Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice

I have African mahogany floors by Mirage (Brass) in living room, dining room, and foyers. My furniture is traditional with rust colored sofas. The walls are now yellow/gold. Do I have to repaint the walls a different color?

By Annette K.

I recently moved in a new place. The living room rug is dark green. What colors would go good with it? All I can come up with is a rain forest look. How do I make my living room have a natural outdoors type look? I know I can throw some plants in to feel like nature. Please anyone have any ideas?

By Shay

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi02/03/2013

Green goes well with tan. You can also have a lighter shade of green, like sea foam or moss. Yes, plants always make a room look more homey, plus it gives us more oxygen.

You can get accents in nature like log cabins, moose, bears and such. I am sending you a sample of some really cool accents and if you can, keep all the white you can out of the room. It will look like a hard candy during the holidays.
Good luck,
PBP

https://www.google.com/search?q=cab ... 4a5521b543f&biw=1024&bih=677

RE: Living Room Paint Color Advice

My walls are blue, the drapes are cream with a hint of blue and sage and I wanted to purchase a sage sofa. Do blue gray walls go with a sage sofa?

By Geno

Most Recent Answer

By Kathy12/15/2011

I think it would go together very well also. I agree with the above post to add a splash of bright colors as a bit of surprise.

Question: Living Room and Kitchen Paint Color Advice

Does it matter if each room in my house is a different color? I want to paint my living room a Tiffany blue/chocolate brown, but I can't figure out what color to do the kitchen. I am thinking about a rustic fall red, but I don't want it to look crazy coming from the living room to the kitchen. The living room is closed off from the kitchen, but I'm just unsure if that makes a difference or not.

By Tatirah G.

Most Recent Answer

By Shirley Darby09/23/2011

How boring to have all rooms match or even coordinate! Paint it whatever color you want.

Question: Choosing Accent Colors for a Living Dining Room Combination

I have a combo living/dining room. There are cream walls, a burgundy sectional, black end tables, black/dark wood dining set, and cream carpet. I am looking to put more color in this room but on a low budget. I was thinking turquoise and golden yellow as accents. I would like to paint the walls white, if we went with those accent colors. Any ideas, comments, or advice?

By Jenn

Most Recent Answer

By Elgie07/11/2011

Keep what you have, cream carpet, wall, and furnishings then find some patterned material (style you like) in several patterns that include some of the basic colors you already have plus your desired turquoise and gold. Make pillow shams, seat covers for dining room, lamp shades or whatever.. Also add color in prints on you walls and color in lamps on your end tables. Books and magazines can also add a zip to a room. Go to the thrift store and find hard cover books with the colors you like and stack or add to any bookshelf you may have. Paint old wicker baskets in your fun colors to hold "stuff". My daughter has found great pieces of fabric at thrift stores, and it doesn't always have to be straight yardage. Scarves and dresses, old drapes can give you some great material. Have fun and you do not have to spend much money and it should look smashing!

Question: A Color Scheme for My Living Room and Dining Room

My living room and dining room are one big room from the left side of the house to the right side. I want the living room to be a deep brick red and a light vanilla color, with 2 red walls and 2 vanilla walls. What do I do with the ceiling? Leave it white? The dining room I wanted to include the vanilla color and maybe a soft gold color. I need advice! I need these 2 rooms to flow together yet be separate!

By Texas Scorpio from Orange, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Hallie 12/29/2010

Try doing the ceiling the same vanilla color, because the lighter you go with the ceiling the more space you seem to have, it feels way bigger if you do a light color on the ceiling, and then it will match the walls.

Question: Paint Color Advice for Living Room with Sage Carpet and Graphite Sofa

I am updating my living room with a soft sage carpet and a graphite sofa. What colors would work well for the walls?

By traveler233 from PA

Most Recent Answer

By susan10/29/2010

I would use a shade of the blue from the bedroom or a lighter sage color. Good luck.

Question: Paint Color Advice

I need help with what colour to paint my walls and what accent to use. I recently bought a rust coloured couch with a chocolate brown piping and two mahogany chairs, one is rust/brick red and the other is chocolate brown.

My walls are light blue with a capri blue top skirting. I would like to hear your views on which colour I should paint the walls with an accent wall in a different tone. And what colour rug and pillows should I get? I want the living room to look soft and relaxing. Thank you.

By Medlin from Kenya, Nairobi

Most Recent Answer

By Pam Griffis [4]07/20/2010

I would paint the walls a nice deep cream color (that has a yellow undertone). Then paint an accent wall the same color as the piping on the sofas. Now you can experiment with with throw pillows, lamps, etc. to find an other accent (smaller) colors you like.

I have a dark blue/gray couch and love seat, with a black TV stand and coffee table. I am looking to paint my walls, but I want to put up some black and white photos, too. I have an off white wall now and it seems to be too boring. What color wall would look great? I heard brown or beige would be good. Any ideas?

By Nancy from Houston, TX,

Most Recent Answer

By Lee [4]09/20/2010

Most times you see b&w photos they are on white walls like NY loft type decor, but I do like mauve or brown behind b&w. Love your crown molding. May I suggest leaving your walls white in a flat paint, then paint 6" stripes using semi gloss. Makes the walls look rich. You might also try painting your lamp shades, make them pop. That's a great picture. I think it should stand alone.

Question: Color Ideas for Brown and Light Blue Living Room

I have black furniture in my living room. My decorations are chocolate brown and a light blue color. What colors would look good with my decorations?

By Elizabeth from Berwyn, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Pam Griffis01/15/2010

I would say cream with either a tan or more yellow tint, light green, or coral.

Question: Paint to Coordinate with Navy Couch and Grey Carpet

I need help. I have a navy couch and love seat with grey carpet. Any wall color suggestions? I have two days.

By cab11 from Dearborn, MI

Most Recent Answer

By merlene smith05/22/2009

A bright sunny yellow or golden color would warm up a the coolness of blue and gray.

Question: Paint Color to Match My Couch

What color should I paint my living room with a sage colored couch?

Daowens from Bronx, NY

Most Recent Answer

By (Guest Post)12/02/2008

We used a soft brown Sherwin Williams "down home" with our sage green sofa. I have a fun colorful rug and off-white drapes and we love it.

Question: Need Advice on Remodeling

My future wife and I will be moving into a two family house after we are married owned by her grandparents. It is an older house but looks great. I would be living in the bottom floor. I was thinking of redoing the floor with a rosewood Pergo floor from Lowe's - Link to Floor

Any suggestions about to do or not to do that? The house is set up that as soon as you walk down the stairs you are in a pretty large living room longer than it is wide with two support poles towards the left side and at the end a huge bar spanning the width of the room. My question is what color should I paint this room, if I stick with rosewood floor. It has to be a good living room color but also compliment the bar scene.

Second what color should I paint the kitchen, which would have the same flooring? But the cabinets are a lighter yellow wood almost like this flooring - Cabinet Color Link

Should I sand them down and restain them or just do the flooring in that color? but then what colors should I paint the walls with that floor? Also the bar's front side is like that wood paneling, can I paint on that?

If you can also give some tips on the bedroom, which would have a carpet of my choice in it and the bathroom now is pink with pink tiles, sink, and toilet. Thanks for all your time and thoughts everyone. Please respond!

Sal from Totowa, NJ

Most Recent Answer

By Linda (Guest Post)07/29/2008

Is your future wife going to live with you? If so, perhaps it would be considerate of you to consider her opinion, yes? Or does her vote not count?

Question: Need Decorating Ideas - Navy Carpet and Tan Furniture

I just have a question. We have a navy blue berber carpet in our living room and our furniture is a tanish color and we'd like to paint our walls.. They are white and they join our dining room which has the hard wood floor.

What would be a good color to go with the other colors? We can't afford to change anything except the paint, right now. Can you help? Thank you!
Betsy Albright

Most Recent Answer

By Gritz (Guest Post)01/16/2009

I would try a cabin look since it goes well with navy and hard wood floors. I also have navy carpet throughout my house and had my walls painted a baby blue but the feeling was cold and the contrast was too sharp. Orange actually works well with blues, as well as khaki, some browns, reds and whites. Navy usually is a neutral color so you want something on the walls that won't make both the wall and carpet 'pop' which is usually lighter colors. I would try a mid tone and maybe keep your furniture the same, but add little things that draw the eye and try to create balance.

Navy is hard to work with.