Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice

Choosing the best wall paint color to coordinate with your living room furnishings can be difficult. This is a guide about living room wall paint color advice.

November 27, 2016 Flag

I have a large room 700 sq. ft. with 2 burgundy chairs and a light grey couch. What color should I paint the walls?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 5, 2016 Flag

I have a rather large living room, a white leather sofa (sectional, small), 2 gray swivel recliners, and hardwood floors. My accent furniture is rather dark. What color would I paint my living room? Also, I have a peaked 20 feet ceiling. Upon leaving the living room and entering the kitchen everything in the kitchen is some form of gray. Please help!

I would stick with the gray. Pale pale on at least three walls and a stronger version on the wall that would visually shorten and soften the room. You can then go a little color crazy on accessories: pillows, area rug (5x7or 8x10) under the coffee table area. If you are not formal,you can even use one of the outdoor rugs that are now on clearance. Solid or patterned, They have finished edges and easy to clean. If you don't want a rug, have fun mwith FullLength drapes please. Patterned drapes are a frame for the window and a cheap smile of color framing the light. Great prints or posters on the wall. A plant or two. Or three clearance "gazing balls" on cheap varied height candle stands?

It's so much cheaper and easier to replace or change-by-whim accessories than wall color.

I envy you that spacious room to play with. Don't forget a colorful appropriate throw over the back of the chair. The elegance and warmth depend on you, but I bet DVF has throws in her house too.

October 7, 2016 Flag

I have off white colored walls with a black fabric couch with gray and white flowers printed on it. What color curtains would go best with it? I am looking for a double rod curtain set to let sunlight through. Please suggest?

TIA :)

Personally, I would go with solid gray curtains, as near to the gray in the couch to pick up that color. Nothing floral, of course.

September 22, 2016 Flag

I am painting a room that is 26 feet by 15 feet. I have green and brown plaid furniture, dark floors, and cream walls now. I want something warmer. What color would be best?

I BELIEVE A LOVELY APRICOT, NOT TOO DARK AS TO APPEAR ORANGE THOUGH.;

May 28, 2016 Flag

I have an olive green sofa with a recliner that has a green, gold, and burgundy checkerboard patterned upholstery. What color should I paint the walls in my new house?

I would use pale gold, or White

October 29, 2016 Flag

I have a medium sized living room with a dark brown couch and chairs and a deep cherry TV stand, coffee table, and end tables. I have a faux deep cherry fire place as well. I have one regular window and an open adjoining dining room and open adjoining office. Both other rooms have two regular sized windows each. There are similar furnishings in each. I currently have Cascade antique gold curtains with hints of cranberry and hunter green that are shimmery in nature. I'm at an impasse as to what color to paint my walls. Any suggestions?

I first though to paint an accent wall behind the TV opposite my window, a cranberry color and then use a creamy white on the rest of the walls. I have jacquard fabric furniture covers that are burgandy and flip to tan. I'm not sure if this would look right. As of now, my walls are a dull white, almost grey tone and look very dull.

October 22, 2016 Flag

My living and dining area is 1 large room. They are painted a harvest gold with white trim, my curtains are gold stripe, and the sofa is tan. I have put down new carpet, mostly grey with a touch of tan that shows in the sunlight. But it is really grey. I want to paint the rooms grey, but will that match the sofa and the curtains? I really don't want to go to the expense of buying new curtains. Should I paint gray or leave gold in your opinion.

June 28, 2015 Flag

I just lost my parents, my mom on Christmas Day 2014 and dad just a few weeks ago. Now have their furniture.

For the living room - I have a primarily white cloth sofa with tiny floral print in red and dark blue flowers with green stems and leaves, a white leather loveseat, and my mother's custom Louis XVI throne chairs (made for her design specs in the late 1950s) of pale "baby blue" (a.k.a "powder blue" or "sky blue") crushed velvet and slightly-lighter shade of same blue tinted wood. Their living room (in the house where I grew up) had wall-to-wall high pile carpeting that was was emerald green when I was a child in the 1960s-'70s, and a light mushroom color when I was an adult in the 1980s, '90s, and early 2000s - always with white walls. It also had a pair of pale yellow tinted wood bookcases, which I also have. The tables are brass with glass tops, and a pecan wood table. I think I also still have my parents' pale yellow throw pillows that used to sit on the patterned sofa. (The white leather love seat was newer, I didn't grow up with that.)

I am moving into a new house. It has golden oak hardwood floors. I own an antique late-1920s/early-1930s Art Deco console bar (a Prohibition-era "hideaway" bar) that is gilded emerald green leather and black lacquered wood, which I would like to put in the living room.

This sounds busy, but since the furniture is almost completely all white upholstery, it's really not so crazy with too many colors. But I am at a loss to figure out what color to paint the walls. The room is darker than either the living room I grew up with or the one in this house that I've lived in for 30 years, and it's smaller than either of the other rooms, too.

I have a textured tall white pottery floor lamp, a few wooden floor lamps (darker woods), and pale yellow with blue ginger jar table lamps, as well as my grandparents' antique Stiffel brass table lamps. Also, we have hubby's family's antique piano - a mid-century dark black-brown lacquered Baldwin Acrosonic spinet - and my family's antique piano - a nearly 200-year old upright piano of red mahogany and hand carving all over it. We don't need two pianos and there isn't room for them at the new house. (We're downsizing, as we're now seniors.) It is likeliest that we'll be able to sell the Baldwin spinet piano faster and easier than my upright piano, so we expect to keep the red mahogany upright instrument.

I really hate white walls, having grown up in a house with nothing but white walls and little artwork hanging on those. My parents preferred other forms of art than paintings or prints. I'd like not to have to paint the walls in my own living room white, unless there's no other good option. I do, however, have plenty of oil paintings from hubby's family home, and a good number of prints, and a lot of original water color paintings, oil paintings, and sketches (hubby's sister was an artist).

Help! What color(s) would look best on the walls of my new living room?
Thank you.

That was supposed to be "loveseat". lol

Does this help to figure out the color palette?

I just dislike white walls, period. No matter if they are adorned or unadorned with artwork of any kind. I just really dislike white walls much like I prefer white gloss woodwork and hate all-white rooms. I cannot live with an all-white (or even a 95% white) room - especially my living room. sigh

July 29, 2016 Flag

I'm getting living room furniture that is gold colored. What might be some wall color options that would complement these pieces? Thanks.

Navy Blue, at least on one wall, gold is so complimented with gold, google it and see. Linda H.

October 18, 2016 Flag

I have a terracotta tannish settee, with dark traditional furniture and wooden oak floors. What colour do I paint my walls? The room is not large.

January 13, 2014 Flag

I have an orange leather sofa and yellow leather loveseat. What color should I paint the walls?

By Josef F.

Best Answer

Yellow and orange - I would suggest a lighter yellow, or a soft green, but depending on the effect you want, you could even go with a fairly intense blue. What color is the floor/carpet, draperies, etc.? Rugs, pillows, and decorative items will be needed to pull all this together, but would be fun. By changing some accessories as pillows, vases, and such, you can have a new and exciting look several times a year.

June 23, 2016 Flag

I am in the process of tearing out my carpet and laying down hardwood flooring. I have dark brown furniture and am going to have a mild brown floor. What colors do you think would complement this? My wife wants a grey, but I am thinking a light blue or green would be nicer.

Grey is a very in colour, and you can get greys with bluish tints. Blue goes well with brown as well -- you often see them paired in prints. Because looking at paint chips is so overwhelming, why don't you try visiting show homes in your area when there are open houses, to get an idea of what the decorating trends are. Any of those colour choices would look well; it depends on your taste and what you would like to live with. And if you want the room to keep with the trends in decorating.

March 1, 2016 Flag

I have brown furniture, cream colored carpet, and black throw rugs. What color should I paint my walls?

With those colors you could paint the walls just about any color you like. But depending upon the light coming in the room and how much brown furniture you do have. Personally, I'm pretty conservative with wall color in my living room. I know this doesn't help you much but just a thought.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJune 24, 2013
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Can of paint with a spill on white table.
Removing Paint Stains from Wood Furniture
Living Room 2 Different Colors
Painting a Living Room 2 Different Colors
🎄