Browsing: Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice

Choosing the best wall paint color to coordinate with your living room furnishings can be difficult. This is a guide about living room wall paint color advice.

Nicely decorated living room.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 22, 2016 Flag

I am painting a room that is 26 feet by 15 feet. I have green and brown plaid furniture, dark floors, and cream walls now. I want something warmer. What color would be best?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I BELIEVE A LOVELY APRICOT, NOT TOO DARK AS TO APPEAR ORANGE THOUGH.;

May 28, 2016 Flag

I have an olive green sofa with a recliner that has a green, gold, and burgundy checkerboard patterned upholstery. What color should I paint the walls in my new house?

I would use pale gold, or White

Creamy off-white. It will stand out and yet emphasize the colors you already have in the upholstery. Don't get any more colors in your room or it will look very busy and unkempt, even if it is clean and organized.

July 29, 2016 Flag

I'm getting living room furniture that is gold colored. What might be some wall color options that would complement these pieces? Thanks.

Navy Blue, at least on one wall, gold is so complimented with gold, google it and see. Linda H.

June 23, 2016 Flag

I am in the process of tearing out my carpet and laying down hardwood flooring. I have dark brown furniture and am going to have a mild brown floor. What colors do you think would complement this? My wife wants a grey, but I am thinking a light blue or green would be nicer.

Grey is a very in colour, and you can get greys with bluish tints. Blue goes well with brown as well -- you often see them paired in prints. Because looking at paint chips is so overwhelming, why don't you try visiting show homes in your area when there are open houses, to get an idea of what the decorating trends are. Any of those colour choices would look well; it depends on your taste and what you would like to live with. And if you want the room to keep with the trends in decorating.

June 28, 2015 Flag

I just lost my parents, my mom on Christmas Day 2014 and dad just a few weeks ago. Now have their furniture.

For the living room - I have a primarily white cloth sofa with tiny floral print in red and dark blue flowers with green stems and leaves, a white leather loveseat, and my mother's custom Louis XVI throne chairs (made for her design specs in the late 1950s) of pale "baby blue" (a.k.a "powder blue" or "sky blue") crushed velvet and slightly-lighter shade of same blue tinted wood. Their living room (in the house where I grew up) had wall-to-wall high pile carpeting that was was emerald green when I was a child in the 1960s-'70s, and a light mushroom color when I was an adult in the 1980s, '90s, and early 2000s - always with white walls. It also had a pair of pale yellow tinted wood bookcases, which I also have. The tables are brass with glass tops, and a pecan wood table. I think I also still have my parents' pale yellow throw pillows that used to sit on the patterned sofa. (The white leather love seat was newer, I didn't grow up with that.)

I am moving into a new house. It has golden oak hardwood floors. I own an antique late-1920s/early-1930s Art Deco console bar (a Prohibition-era "hideaway" bar) that is gilded emerald green leather and black lacquered wood, which I would like to put in the living room.

This sounds busy, but since the furniture is almost completely all white upholstery, it's really not so crazy with too many colors. But I am at a loss to figure out what color to paint the walls. The room is darker than either the living room I grew up with or the one in this house that I've lived in for 30 years, and it's smaller than either of the other rooms, too.

I have a textured tall white pottery floor lamp, a few wooden floor lamps (darker woods), and pale yellow with blue ginger jar table lamps, as well as my grandparents' antique Stiffel brass table lamps. Also, we have hubby's family's antique piano - a mid-century dark black-brown lacquered Baldwin Acrosonic spinet - and my family's antique piano - a nearly 200-year old upright piano of red mahogany and hand carving all over it. We don't need two pianos and there isn't room for them at the new house. (We're downsizing, as we're now seniors.) It is likeliest that we'll be able to sell the Baldwin spinet piano faster and easier than my upright piano, so we expect to keep the red mahogany upright instrument.

I really hate white walls, having grown up in a house with nothing but white walls and little artwork hanging on those. My parents preferred other forms of art than paintings or prints. I'd like not to have to paint the walls in my own living room white, unless there's no other good option. I do, however, have plenty of oil paintings from hubby's family home, and a good number of prints, and a lot of original water color paintings, oil paintings, and sketches (hubby's sister was an artist).

Help! What color(s) would look best on the walls of my new living room?
Thank you.

That was supposed to be "loveseat". lol

Does this help to figure out the color palette?

I just dislike white walls, period. No matter if they are adorned or unadorned with artwork of any kind. I just really dislike white walls much like I prefer white gloss woodwork and hate all-white rooms. I cannot live with an all-white (or even a 95% white) room - especially my living room. sigh

Here is a pic of the Art Deco bar, but this pic was taken before restoration, which I'm in the middle of doing. So it's a greenish-charcoal-ish wood, a darker black wood top, and the gilt green leather (and handles) remain the same - just re-done.

August 21, 2016 Flag

I have purchased a new suite and am struggling to think of wall colours. The suite is light - in between cream and grey. I am going for dark wood floor. What colour would you recommend I paint the walls? I would like to wallpaper the chimney breast again struggling to think of what colour. I have mango wood furniture in the room. It is a large and light room. I do like greens and duck egg.

living room furniture in store

June 4, 2016 Flag

I am looking for a color to paint the walls for a room with white leather couches, mahogany wood floors, and wood trim throughout. I like warm colors and prefer to accent colors with pillows. Maybe an accent wall?

room with couchLiving Room Paint Color Advice

Check Pinterest.com for photos you might like. Grey seems to be the most popular color now and is promised to continue for a long time. Beiges and tans are passe. White is also popular for wall color. However, since your sofa is white you will need a colored wall behind it. I like your idea for a feature wall to accent your room. The wall behind the sofa is often the focal point for the room. I see that you have beautiful views out your window. I'd use the view for my first focal point and the accent or feature wall for my secondary focal point wall. You can't go wrong with neutrals! I like your idea to use color with sofa pillows and other accents.

March 1, 2016 Flag

I have brown furniture, cream colored carpet, and black throw rugs. What color should I paint my walls?

With those colors you could paint the walls just about any color you like. But depending upon the light coming in the room and how much brown furniture you do have. Personally, I'm pretty conservative with wall color in my living room. I know this doesn't help you much but just a thought.

It depends on the feel you are looking for. I personally like very warm colors because they feel more homey to me, so that is the palette I used for my house. I recently painted one wall the color of red wine and the others a vanilla ice cream color and my...

November 3, 2015 Flag

I have a brown carpet with caramel flecks in it plus steel grey furniture. What colours should I paint the walls? One wall is very long, but has a fireplace and TV on it.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJune 24, 2013
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Can of paint with a spill on white table.
Removing Paint Stains from Wood Furniture
Living Room 2 Different Colors
Painting a Living Room 2 Different Colors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 11:29:08 PM on 10.0.0.72 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.