Locating the Source of a Foul Smell in House

It is not always easy to determine where a bad smell is coming from in your home. This guide is about locating the source of a foul smell in the house.

A woman holding her nose.
Filter Sort

Tip: Locating Sulfur Smell in a Master Bedroom

By Nathan P. 1

I had this issue just after moving into a new rental. It seemed to match most of the 'rotten egg and sulfur' smells that are repeated on this thread. I figured out my issue, and may match many of yours as well.

The master bedroom is where they usually install the bulk of the alarm systems, sometimes in a master closet (most of the time it seems). The alarm's backup battery (the little 4 inch square box - black, grey or tan) that it uses can go bad after being constantly charged over many years and it can rupture slightly, emitting a small amount of (you guessed it) sulfuric acid, which really stinks! I made the mistake of sniffing it a bit too close, and that stuff literally takes your breath away. It was bad.

I took it to the backyard where I will dispose of it properly later. It's a hazardous substance, but I seriously doubt it would cause a health concern if it just produces an annoying stench in your closet.

It worked! The stench is gone, gone, gone!

Locating Sulfur Smell in a Master Bedroom

Source: Ol factory experience and old fashioned deductive reasoning.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Odor Coming from Newly Painted Wall

By George 1

I recently painted a new wall with a 5 year old latex primer followed by 2 coats of paint. A very disagreeable odor emanates from the wall. I have never had this problem with "old" paint before. Where is the odor coming from?

By George from Port St Lucie, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Cyinda 214 1,287 Flag

It could be your sheet-rock. Since 1997, many houses were built with Chinese sheet rock and they emit a "rotten egg" smell from the sulfur. This sheet-rock was recently recalled because it causes the wiring to tarnish and corrode quickly. If this is your problem, you will have to remove the sheet-rock! The sheetrock has been a real problem in Florida and the South due to the high humidity. The moisture in the paint also could have made the sheet-rock smell.

If it's just the paint, you can cover the wall with one or 2 coats of Zinsser shellac and alcohol based primer (read the back of all the Zinsser primers) it's one of the lower cost primers that Zinsser makes. They use this to prime and seal hospitals, kitchens and schools. They use it because it's low odor. This primer will help seal in the odor of the paint, but won't help if bad sheet rock is your problem.

Google: "Chinese sheetrock" or "Chineese wallboard" for more info.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Pattie McIntyre 39 58 Flag

If the smell is really disagreeable you may have to remove the wall entirely and sheet rock a new one. Maybe an animal like a squirrel or mouse died in between the walls. I sure wouldn't work hard to try to remove it or cover it up. I'd make a clean sweep. It doesn't sound good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Foul Smell in the House

I've had a terrible smell in my master bathroom and closet for almost 3 months, and at first I thought it smelled like sewage. The smell kept getting worse, primarily in the closet so I steam cleaned the carpet (only place in that area that is carpeted), but it made no change. It was horrible over the weekend - would make you gag, but almost went away on Monday.

The smell came back by Wednesday so I had plumbers out to run a smoke test. They re-set the toilet, even though there was no smell in the water closet. It made no change. Since then we have flushed the AC unit, had the roof checked and checked the attic. There is no smell in there. The smell changed from a sewage smell to a pungent musky smell and primarily stayed in the closet and bathroom but you could also smell it in an adjacent hallway and even in the garage.

My parents came over and was certain in smelled like a dead mouse in the wall. I called exterminators and they agreed it was a dead smell, and assured me that it would fade over two weeks.

We did a full exclusion service last year. We did find an area where an AC hose enters the brick that was chewed up. We fixed it and sealed the gap. That was 2 months ago and since the smell gets better and worse. The odd thing is that in the last couple of weeks the musky smell has returned to a sewage/trash type smell and has intensified. Also, although it pretty much stays in the closet/bathroom area it still "moves". Last week it was in the garage, and today it's even by the toilet (water closet).

It's driving me insane to have to deal with this stinch! Odor eliminators don't even touch the smell. We're clean people and it disgusts me to think of something rotting behind my walls. But then, dead things don't move. Suggestions on where to go from here?

By Stacie D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By lizonil 1 Flag

I have had this smell too, it is a dead animal, probably a mouse. I had it in another house in the kitchen but luckily enough I found the body, in the bottom of an old toaster! We also had it about 4 months ago in my daughters bedroom, I stripped the place and searched everywhere but never found the body, it took about 4 weeks for the smell to fade and then I completely redecorated.

Yesterday the smell appeared in my downstairs bathroom, which is small and very clean. I removed everything, steam cleaned it, put bleach in every opening. The smell is much worse this morning, even with the door closed it has pervaded into the hallway. I am just hoping it too will fade.

The very first time this happened I called out the exterminators and they put down poison that kills the mice and it dries the bodies out in a way that does not leave a smell. I guess now I need to get them out again to rid the house of the little critters completely, because everytime one dies this is going to happen. Good luck and I smell your smell!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sewage Smell in Home

By Tonton17 2

I am a first time homebuyer and bought my 1097 square foot, low-level home last July. The home was built in 1974. Since shortly after buying the home and closing, there has been a strong sewage smell that plagues the residence. It was around this same time last year (August/September). It is intermittent. However, this smells deters me from inviting anyone over and it accompanies what seems to be an infestation of gnats.

I can't sleep, sit, eat, or anything without a gnat aggressively attacking me. They help me do my hair, help me clean, help me cook, etc. It's driving me crazy. Last year I had the plumbers out because I thought it was a plumbing issue with setting water, but it's back again this year the same time or year with the gnats! I don't have a sceptic tank. I've also noticed like a week or so ago my plumbing backs up, of course my issue began long before this manifestation, but I don't think that helps the cause!

Last year I did the vinegar traps and yes they caught many gnats, but there were equal amounts still living and the smell is still present. It seemed last year like it only went away when the weather got cold. It did not happen all summer, but with the season change it seems to be back in autumn. I've spent a lot of money on this house even after paying an inspector to catch the important stuff, but at this point I need to know where I can begin or what to do cheaply to address this and not deal with it every year around the same time? Someone please help me! What could this smell be with this accompanying infestation of gnats and what can I do to remedy this?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carol H. 2 2 Flag

In my last apartment I had a lot of sewer smell to the point of feeling sick. I found when I flushed the toilet 3 or 4 times in a row the smell seemed to go away for most of the day. I decided to use the product 2000 flushes (blue puck) found in the cleaning aisle - didn't have any sewer smell after using that in the toilet tank. Last up to 3 months.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Foul Smell in Home

By Julia M. 1

My home is clean, the trash is taken out, no dirty dishes, and I haven't cooked anything today. About a hour ago this foul smell filled up the entire house. I've checked all bathrooms and sinks to make sure that nothing was backed up and everything looked OK. I can't even describe what it smells like. I have no inside animals. This has been happened for about a week. It was so bad on Sunday that the smell woke me up and I sleep with a full face mask hooked up to a CPAP machine, but I could still smell it. I've done smell checks on all the kids. It is horrible. I have Crohn's so I smell things to the extreme, it's like I have the nose of a pregnant woman. I'll take any suggestions. I have hardwood floors, central air and heat, and all my air and water filters have just been changed.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

That's a good point though. If you're not sure, have the gas company come out and check, for your peace of mind. It's a scary thought.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Locating Cause of Bad Odor In My Home

By wjweese 1 1

I have this odor that comes and goes. I think that it is associated with the furnace, however I have just had the furnace annual maintenance done. I had the air ducts cleaned and did the monthly cleaning of the filters and it is still here.

I find as I get older it affects my chronic bronchitis making it worse than usual and causes my eyes to burn. When it shows up it seems to be strongest when the furnace is blowing heat.

I know it is not the refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, washer, or dryer as those are new and the dryer duct was cleaned with the rest of the vents. I always figured it was associated with the cleaning of the furnace filters, but this time it showed up four days after I had cleaned the filters.

My husband does not seem to notice it and my son has no sense of smell so I feel like I might be crazy. Anyone know who I can call to get this looked into? My furnace people are clueless and have been no help at all.

By wjw

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By scalzocathy123 1 Flag

Hello, I had a similar problem. It was esp bad when the oil furnace came on. We finally tracked it down to a leak under the toilet that was dripping loaded water into the ventilation system. Yuck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Horrible Smell in House

By slsinger 3 1

I am experiencing a horrible smell in my house. I first thought it was from some carpeting that had been soiled by some of my pets. The carpet was very old. I tore the carpet up and tried cleaning the wood flooring beneath with different cleaners that contained antibacterials, and some with enzymes to get rid of urine smells. The smell is even worse now. It feels like it even leaves a burning feeling on my tongue and feel like I can taste it. The smell has made me vomit. I don't even know how to describe the smell because I haven't ever smelled anything like this. It has permeated the whole house. I can't find the source of the smell. It just keeps getting worse. Can anyone help me soon? I'm so desperate.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By slsinger 3 1 Flag

Hi! Thank you for your answer. I have thought of the smell possibly being a dead animal that may have died somewhere in the house. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that smells like. This odor is almost indescribable. It's almost a cross between some spoiled vomit and something that is so powerful smelling that you can actually taste it. It even feels like it leaves a burning feeling on my tongue and nasal passage. Almost like ammonia does, only not the smell of ammonia. I do have a deck that is connected to the house that has a small opening. I don't smell this odor when out on the deck. The odor has been going on since June, and only getting worse. I truly don't think it's the wood flooring anymore The smell has gotten worse since pulling up the carpeting. I really don't know how much more that I can take. I live on a disability budget and don't have any money to hire anyone to come and check it out for me. I don't know anyone that can come and help me try and find where it's coming from. I live alone and don't really have friends or family that can help me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Source of Bad Odor in House

I have an open floor plan with stained, scored concrete floors in the living room and carpet in the bedrooms. I have been in two different houses that are built the same just different floor plans. I noticed when we moved out of one house that it smelled awful. The smell was only in the living area. I have three dogs and thought it was because of them. I cleaned the house from top to bottom, opened all doors and windows for several days and placed baking soda boxes in several different places. The smell would never go away.

Now I am smelling the same smell in the new house. I clean, clean, clean all the time and my dogs are bathed regularly. It's not my furniture and I got rid of the area rugs. I don't even know how to explain the smell. It smells like dirt to me. This is a rental house built in 2005 and my landlord was very upset with me in the last house. I feel like I clean more than the average person, but yet my house always stinks! Is there a professional service I can call for help?

By TB

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kitkatk100 7 77 Flag

My first thought is that it has something to do with the stain on the concrete floor. Perhaps they used a wrong kind of stain and it reacted with the concrete. I'm not an expert on this, but if you have cleaned very thoroughly and repeatedly and the smell is still there, then it must be in the concrete and/or the stain. Just a guess. Good luck in finding a solution!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Locating the Source of a Strong Bitter Odor in Basement

We have a odor in our basement which we only noticed about one month ago. The smell is very bitter and to begin with I thought it was the herb, dill, but as there is nothing like that downstairs. It wasn't that and it seems to be getting stronger as time goes by. It is now starting to come up thru the heat pipes.

As we are able to keep the windows open now it isn't a real problem, but it will be when it we have to close them. Is there anything like a meter that will read when we are close to the problem? We have been thru everything and washed what we thought might pose a problem with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

By Sharon L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

If you have gas, it will smell like rotten eggs. They put a chemical in it called mercapaden (sp?). It's for that purpose alone. It truely smells like sulpher.

You may have some kind of sealent, or acidic substance that has soaked through and old can and into the wood or piping system. You may also have a dead animal. You may want to call a plumber and see that your sewage pipes have not been cracked by tree limbs, or your local HVAC company. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Can't Locate the Source of a Terrible Smell in My Home

By Charles 1

We have a very foul dead animal odor in our home. The only time this odor is present is after my wife has used a hair dryer. We know it is not the dryer itself, because it does not smell if used outside our home, ie. vacation.

The smell seems to appear after using the dryer for a while and it does not smell in the bathroom where it is being used. It seems to be drawn in from another room. Once the dryer is off the smell slowly dissipates and is gone.

I can not find anything in the ventilation, attic, or crawl space. This has been happening for nearly five years. I think that if it were a small dead animal that it would have dried up and quit smelling by now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Charles from Indianapolis, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Beaufort121 1 Flag

Hi guys! I wonder if you can help me too. I sort of have a similar problem and its almost a week now. There is a terrible smell of a dead animal in my kitchen; I have tried to locate exactly where the smell comes from in the kitchen but have not been able to pin point the source. I have tried smelling the sink but the sink doesn't smell so I honestly don't know what to do now. The last post mentioned something about having chemicals under the sink. I do have a whole stack of cleaning detergents under my sink in the cabinet; I have removed all of them and will see if there is any change tomorrow.

Could it be the drain? How am I suppose to know if it's coming from the drain and yet the when I smelled the sink i didn't smell the rotten meat odour. Please advise. Thanks!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sweet Chemical Smell in New House

By Max Weber 1

We purchased a new home in December. All was OK, though we could smell the floor stain (Minwax and Fabulon). Around April we began to cut on the AC. Those of us who slept near the vents had sneezing fits constantly day and night for weeks. We thought it was pollen. Then we all began to get tired, nauseated, have ringing in our ears, fatigued, forgetful, blurred thought, etc. Anyone else ever have anything like this?

The smell is like chemicals, reminds me of that stuff my dad used to clean his carburetor when I was a kid. Now it smells sort of rotten too. It's also sort of sweet like a perfumey sweet. It is all over the house. It is most chemically in the crawlspace and sweeter and more rotten inside the house. The crawlspace is air-conditioned like the rest of the house (stupid new federal government home design thing).

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cathy 2 61 Flag

Check the plaster board or wall board on the walls , There were many cases of cheap plaster board from China that was used in houses in the early 200o and around that time which emits poisonous and noxious sulfur like fumes[sometimes rotten egg smell] when it gets hot out . Its in the walls so that's had to tell.check with builder and real estate agent . It would not be carbon monoxide , as that is odorless.

cathy from ma

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mildew Smell in Mobile Home

We bought a trailer house about 2 years ago and did a complete renovation on it. We tore out all subfloors, paneling, insulation, the works, and replaced it with new subfloor, insulation and drywall instead of paneling.

My question is, this summer a musty odor has started coming up and I'm not sure where it's coming from. It's strongest under the bathroom sink and kitchen sink. I tore out the kick plate under the kitchen sink and cannot seem to notice any leaks. I'm not sure if it could be coming up from under the house, as we took out all our skirting and replaced it with foam sheets glued to weather resistant 2x4s and covered with a stucco material. This has caused condensation in the past so we added a fan in the skirting to pull out some of the moisture under the house.

As a side note about a month ago we had an issue with gnats and could not find the source. I think it might have been from the dishwasher because we rarely use it. I cleaned out under the fridge and inside the dishwasher and the gnats went away. My question is, what can I do to diagnose it or who can I call that won't cost me a fortune?

By Mary

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Norm333 1 Flag

If it coming only from under sinks and smells like dirt and you have seen gnats, there is stuff in your sink pipe trap that is decaying, molding, etc. (the u shaped part). You can fix it by pouring some bleach in the drains. But you need to make sure it is enough to fill up the u shaped part and you have to leave it there for a few hours at least. The idea is you want only bleach sitting in that trap for a while. The bleach will kill whatever is growing there, including the gnats that are living there, and the smell will go away.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Weird Smell in Bedroom and Bathroom

By jvacosta 1

I have an weird smell in the bedroom, only at night. The adjacent the room is the bathroom which also gives off the scent.The smell started after a four day none stop rain. I cleaned the whole house with Clorox and water and washed every piece of clothing, linen, etc. The smell still comes back at night specifically around 3:00 a.m. that's when the smell wakes me up. Now I have been stuffy in the mornings with mucous coming out from my nose. The smell at times is so unbearable that I sleep on the living room couch. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I wonder if you have some sort of problem with sewer gas back up? If you had a dead animal in the walls, as DCA suggested, you would likely smell it all the time. If you have sewer gas, it may be worse at night because there is no activity -- no flushing toilets, no laundry being done, no one showering, etc. I would try to get a friend over to help identify the smell, and I think I would call a plumber first as I think it is more likely a sewage gas leak/backup.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Smell in Older Townhouse

By Lauren S. 1

I just moved into a townhouse. I didn't notice a smell at first. Now when I leave the house my clothes reek of what smells kind of like mothballs! The weird thing is you cannot smell the mothball smell in the house very much, at least not to the extent of when you take the items out of house and or on my clothes and other items when I leave the house.

There is an Indian couple who live next to mine could this be a curry or smell or is it mothballs? I have a fire wall between the houses and do not share any air ducts or anything with either neighbor. I have checked the attic for mothballs and nothing was found. I have brand new carpet and flooring and newly painted walls! Where could this smell be coming from? And how do I get rid of it ASAP! Oh and I also have bought and used my ozone generator a few times and I feel like the smell is coming back. I can't even bring my clothes back into house until it's gone.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I have a little bit of experience with mothballs because the two times I used them, I found them so nauseating that I never used them again. I used them in a camper to keep out mice (I later found that parking the camper near to where our outside cats lived was a much better solution), and even after I removed the mothballs (which disappear over time, so you may not find any), the camper stunk of mothballs. I aired it out and put in branches of eucalyptus and dishes of coffee grounds and baking soda to absorb the smells and cover the odor. Eventually we could stand to be inside the camper again. When you are in a house that smells, your nose becomes used to the smell (the Febreeze commercials are calling this "nose blind"), and so you don't notice it after awhile. You need to investigate, and find out what causes this smell. If it is the new paint and carpets off-gassing, you may need to contact the builders. I don't think they should smell this much. If it is a mothball stench, you need to try methods to get rid of that stench, as it is poisonous. And if it is termites, you have another problem. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Foul Odor in Bedroom

By Beth T.K. 1

I have had a foul odor in my master bedroom for about a month or more. I live in a 117 year old small house with no central heat or air. I have an indoor cat and dog that's had free run until this mysterious odor appeared! I have shampooed the carpet and that helped for about a day and it came right back. It definitely does not smell like cat urine, however I haven't denied it possibly being dog urine, but my husband emphatically disagrees. He doesn't think it's either one. We have a window unit air conditioner that I've cleaned the filter on so many times it's just ridiculous. I put down 20 Mule Team Borax and Carpet Fresh last night and let it stay for about two hours then vacuumed it up. Then I removed all items from under the bed, sprinkled Borax and Carpet Fresh and left it over night. The smell is back again today.
                Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

I'm with Dinah. There is something in your walls, air ducts, or under your floor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of a Foul Smell in House

By jessica.duhon 1

I have a terrible smell coming from in or around my daughter's room. I air out the room and it goes away. But as soon as I close the window the smell comes back. It is so terrible, it sort of smells like rotten milk or human urine. It is so strong. I have changed all the bedding, cleaned, mopped, and dusted and the smell is still there. I feel like it could be coming from the walls. Please help! I am in dire need!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By secretary 1 Flag

Check her clothes to see if something spilled on them and were hung up. also check her pillow. and mattress.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dead Animal Smell Under Slab Foundation.

We have had several dead animals under the slab foundation after a torrential rain. We had several holes around the house where we have seen rabbits and possums. How long before smell goes away?

By Nova

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

It takes about 3 weeks for the smell of dead rat in the walls to go away. Your situation sounds a bit different. The moisture might make it a longer process.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mysterious Smell That Irritates Eyes

We recently moved back into our 2 bedroom condo after being away for a month, when we began to smell a mysterious strong smell. It is a strong foul odor that comes in the evening as in the early morning. It hurts our eyes and causes our skin to itch.

We hardly smell it at all during the day, but round about suppertime we begin to smell it. It's sharp odor seems to dissipate quickly so it is hard to pin down where it it coming from.

I suspect that it comes from a bathroom that we have in the center of each floor. The gas company came but could find no propane leak. I originally suspected the garbage disposal but a plumber said that it is fine. The water in the kitchen sink occasionally tastes off. What I may do the next time the water tastes off, is to put it in a jar and get it tested. The maintenance guy checked the ventilation of foul gases from the condo but he could see nothing that was blocking it unless it was way down. Help! We wouldn't dare have house guests with a smell like this. There seems to be no way to mask it.

By Harvey N.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Meow13 2 Flag

Have your a/c ducts inspected... could be mold.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Foul Smell Coming Under House

It just started 3 days ago. At first I just smelled it a little bit in the bathroom in my room. Then it was gone the following morning. The next day I didn't smell it except underneath the sink. Now the 3rd day it's just a overwhelming foul smell. I can't really describe it, but like a musty cat. I've smelled cat urine, that's not it. And it doesn't really smell like a dead animal.

I've looked all over the outside of the house and found a little opening underneath my porch that I closed up by sitting a cement block in front of it for now. I opened a small hole in the floor to see if its something was leaking and didn't see signs of water or animal feces of any kind. It's so strong now I'm thinking of buying a mattress you put on the floor, and sleeping in the living room. Right now I have the window open, and every fan in the house in there trying to air it out. What else could it be?

It might be worth mentioning the floor is wood with carpet on top and is a older house. The realtor wasn't quite sure of the age, as it was a rental before I bought it. But the realtor said the floors, plumbing were all redone but the ducts were not and are in need of repair. That being said, they are never used. The one connecting to my bedroom has been shut off as I use a large pellet furnace to heat the place. Any suggestion would be welcome, I would like to be able to sleep in my room again.

By Jeremy W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Have you ever smelled fox pee? It could be that. It's so strong it could knock you over. The smell will eventually go away, but you have to keep the foxes from getting back under your porch.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Locating Rotten Smell in House

By Monica Olivia E. 1

I've been cleaning all morning and I've removed everything that it could possibly be. Seriously, I also have a really really good sense of smell, to a point where everyone is annoyed by me asking "what smells" all the time. To me it smells like maybe rotting cat food and garbage also there are a lot of gnats in here and I have no idea why.

Anyway I've been sniffing everything and nothing matches the smell. Any ideas? It seems to be smelling the most strong where I'm sitting on the couch, but I've smelled the entire couch and nothing is coming up. I'm usually good at locating bad smells, but nothing is working this time.

By Monica Olivia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By nelliemary 22 63 Flag

Have you checked the tray under your refrigerator? Also check your potato and onion bags for rotting, and check your water that comes out of the pipes. Check under and behind furniture. Could be a mouse that died in your walls Good luck!

Good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Old House Has a Bad Smell

Our house is over 150 years old, we get a smell as soon as we walk in. My concern is rotting wood or mold. I don't think it's mold because I see no signs around and I keep a very clean house. Could the sills be rotten? We don't have a basement, just a dirt crawl space.

By Lucille

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

The insulation answer might be right on. But if it's not, you may have one or more dead animals in the crawl space. Sadly, cats and small dogs get in but can't get out. Raccoons and rats too. I would inspect, then put strong mesh in the openings so nothing gets in again. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bad Smell in Upstairs Bathroom

We recently bought a house that was built in 1987. We owned the home for over a month before moving in. We spent almost everyday here painting, and never smelled anything. A few days before we moved in we smelled an awful smell in the upstairs bathroom.

We have had the septic pumped, and still no relief. Sometimes the smell is almost completely gone and other times it will knock you down. I initially thought it was a dead mouse, but the way it comes and goes makes me rethink that. It's been almost two months with this awful smell in that bathroom.

We also cleaned all the drains with a powder type drain cleaner, thinking maybe it was the p-trap; still nothing! At this point I'm ready to call in the professionals, but don't even know who to call. Also, the tub in the bathroom, which by the way, is the only tub in the house, has jets. We don't know if that could be the source, but don't think so.

Please any advice is welcome. We just keep the door closed and don't go in there. My 4 and 5 year olds have been taking showers in the master, which is getting old. I'm ready to get rid of this smell. Please anyone. Help!

By Rebekah T from NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By klmacc 2 Flag

Also, if you think it might be the jetted tub, it's a good idea to fill the tub above the jets and add either bleach or vinegar to the water and then turn the jets on. If you notice moldy bits coming from the jets, that may be the cause of the odor. It should clean out with a long run with hot water and bleach.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bad Smell Plus Gnats in My House

Several months ago I would notice a faint musty-rotting smell in the kitchen. I thought it was either the dishwasher or the sink. The smell has progressed and seems worst and most persistant in the basement. We have not had any leaks or water in the basement and I have looked for drips or moisture on pipes, etc. in the basement and I have started the dehumidifier.

Upstairs the smell gets better and worse, is usually in the kitchen, but I have smelled it throughout the downstairs. In addition I have had gnats all winter long. Every night I kill a few on my computer screen. I had a plant infested and moved it outside and noticed quite a few of them on the windows in the basement. I cannot trace the smell to a specific source and it is driving me crazy.

By Sheila

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tamtam 2 Flag

Also, to trap the gnats, put a piece of banana in a throw-away cup. Then cover the cup with plastic wrap or sandwich baggie. Hold in place with a rubberband. Using a knife, poke little holes in the top of the plastic. They'll find their way in but not their way out!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Foul Vomit Like Odor in House

We bought a second home seven years ago, and for seven years this house has a terrible, vomit odor, with a faint under chemical-like odor. I burn scented candles all the time, keep windows open, and have cleaned everything in the house I'm able to, even having the vents professionally cleaned, but the smell never goes away.

We intended this home to be a vacation spot, where we could entertain. The kids don't even want to go up there, or bring there friends, and I don't blame them. Short of selling it, any ideas? Are there companies that will investigate to find the source of the odor?

By Susan H.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By peggyruble14 1 Flag

Having just moved from a huge lake area after livivg there for 19 years, we have heard and seen almost everything. You didn't mention having a crawl space or basement so I will throw some ideas out there: previous owners - meth labs; someone died by accident (or not) and blood seeped through flooring to crawl space? - septic tank is 50 gallon drum- vacation home built with used items like furnace from meth home - black mold from high humidity. Try hiring a home inspector like you do before buying a new home. One with excellent references. I have seen houses built on trash dumps and mansions next to hillbillies. See if ever treated for termites or ants?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cause of Poop Smell in My House

For a few days now, as soon as I walk in the front door it smells like poop really badly. It's mainly from the front door into the kitchen. When the house is cool, it doesn't smell as bad. Any suggestions on what it could be?

By M&M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Brenda Hopkins G. 1 Flag

We also had this problem but the odor was the strongest in our master bath. We had everything checked: Toilet was looked at by plummer, he recommended having septic tank pumped out(we are in the country), did that but smell still remained. Well when all was said and done, it was a propane leak where the pipe came through the foundation of our house. Took us over a year to figure this out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Rodent Smell in Garage

By tania m 1

I think I have a dead rodent in my garage, but my question relates to differing temperatures. It seems that when the garage is cold the smell is worse because when I run my clothes dryer the smell seems to disappear. Why is this? I would think it would be the opposite.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Your dryer's heat, detergent, conditioner, spinning, etc., create odors that can easily mask a rodent smell; for a while. The heat only will certainly increase the odor.

If you cannot locate the dead rodent, you may need a pest company to remove it. The sooner the better-the decay process releases decaying liquids that will easily seep into wood, dry wall, etc., and will then smell forever. The only solution then is to remove the affected area and replace the structures.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Locating Source of Odor in Home

We just purchased the home 6 months ago. There is no basement or attic. Daylight/sun activates the odor. The smell is of fresh paint or chemicals. It goes away after the sun goes down.

By Ilona

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

You need to get back with your realtor. Problems like you describe are by law required to be disclosed as part of the sale process. Your realtor will know how to proceed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Odor in Part of Living Room

There is an odor in the front part of my living room only in the evening and at night. It smells like broccoli water after cooking. I do not smell it at all in the daytime.

By Carol m from Oakland, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

It is difficult to provide an answer from your description. Could be a dead animal in a wall or floor, rotting wood, etc. You can have an "odor removal company" (check online or your phone book) check the area and provide an evaluation of the probable origin of the odor and cost to remove, if appropriate.

If the odor comes from an animal that has died, the faster the fix, the better. The animal body decays and the decaying liquids can seep into the wood and other structures. Then the odor problem will continue for a long time and may even require removal and replacement of the wood, etc., in the area.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Locating a Rotten Wood Smell

After a heavy rain I have a very bad smell of wet, rotten wood that takes about three to four days to go away. I have had a entire new roof put on the house and patio. The smell is in the patio and never in the house. I cannot locate source.

By Tom R

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

The following website discusses mold and mildew problems in homes and offers possible resolutions. You should contact the roofing company to check their work and see if the odor problem is their responsibility. However, they will not be eager to fix a problem without supporting evidence. The best plan may be to hire a mold and mildew specialist to determine what causes the rotten wood smell and how to remove it. You will need a consultant's report to support up a claim for repairs if the roofing company is at fault.

http://porch.com/advice/mold-and-mildew-in-home/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Identifying an Odor in Home

A few months ago I had a very bad odor in the attached garage. I located cat urine and feces in plants that had been brought in and also in different hidden locations. I removed everything from the garage and used cleanser to scrub, Lysol concentrate to clean, and then vinegar to remove the soap. The smell appears to be gone.

Now there is now an odor in the house. It is an odor I have difficulty describing. It doesn't smell like something dead, sour, or filth. We have hardwood and tile floors which were installed 5 years ago. All of the walls are sheetrock, some old and some installed 5 years ago.

When my grandchildren visit, they go home with the smell in anything that is cloth. When I am out of the house, I catch whiffs of the odor from my clothing. Being as I live here, I believe I am more accustomed to the smell than other people who come in. My daughter is the only person who will actually tell me about the odor. She smells it the instant she walks through the door.

The air ducts in our house were cleaned a couple of weeks ago and it did not help.
                      Suggestions?

By Kerrie from Bryan, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Could be many possibilities for the smell. From your description, you might have mold or a dead animal.

MOLD

There are many explanations online for "how to remove mold" from your home. You can have a mold removal service check for the possibility. Any actual treatment they do will be expensive so check online if you can DIY.

DEAD ANIMAL

Dead animals are a frequent problem in homes, especially in cold weather as they seek a warm, dry place. The diifficult problem with dead animals-if you do not remove them immediately, they decay and liquids from the decay process seep into the house material itself. If this is the problem, the smell can last for months or years and the area may need to be rebuilt. You can request a pest removal service to check on this possibility.

Good Luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Skunk Smell Behind Bathroom Vanity

For the past three years when October arrives we experience a horrible skunk like smell coming from behind our bathroom vanity. I have called a plumber who said it was definitely not a mold or sewage smell. He said it smelled like skunk weed. (None of us smoke weed so I know that isn't it.) The smell lasts about two or three months and is almost unbearable. I've tried baking soda, air freshners and we keep an air purifier running 24/7. I called a home inspector and he had never heard of anything like it. Can someone please help me figure out what this is?

By Jolie T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Angel G. 1 Flag

So, I must first say that in the South, the term "skunk weed" isn't always used to name a type of marijuana. There is a plant that stinks, and we call it skunk weed, but it isn't for smoking. I honestly don't know what it actually is, but maybe you should try going outside and observing your plants, anyway, just to eliminate them as potential suspects.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Awful Smell in One Room

There is an awful smell in one of the bedrooms. This year it started to stink right after we turned off the swamp cooler for the year. (One of the swamp cooler's "dumps" is between the bedroom and the adjoining bathroom.) It smells like sewer. We keep the door shut. Last year this room had the "dead mouse" stench. I cleaned closets, moved furniture, to no avail. It stunk for several months. Now the stink is back. I've lived in this house for 35 years and didn't have this problem before last year. The house is 65 - 70 years old. Three walls in this bedroom are paneled. There is a "space" under this part of the house. I don't know what to do or whom to call. Any suggestions?

By Mary V.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By elizabeth loeffler 1 Flag

A few months after a contractor fixed water damage in our house we experienced a constant odor of feces or sewage throughout our house. We were at a loss until pulling up one of our carpets. The floor was covered with black mold. We began stripping walls and found the same behind. As it turned out instead of replacing damaged materials the company dried them with fans, bleached to kill odor and painted over damaged materials carpets were fan dried and relayed also. We had 3 toxic molds that caused unbele unbelievable illness and three lost babies.Hopefully this is not your issue but it is cheap and easy to test for molds. You can get mold testing kits online for about 100$. If they come back positive seek out a company to come do an air quality test and wkr km from there.Best wishes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Bad Old House Smell

We just moved into a 75 yr old house, it was recently sold to a new owner (we're leasing) so it was thoroughly inspected and has new plumbing. When we first walked it in was very noticeable but it's old and all hardwood floors. We've painted all the walls and trim.

When I'm in the house I don't really notice the smell. When I leave the house the smell has infused through every fiber of my clothes, bag, hair, etc. When I get I to my car I'm overwhelmed with the smell of the house that's coming from me. It's horrible. We recently traveled overseas, when we opened our luggage, all of our clothes stank of "old house". This cannot be normal. I've used vinegar, Odoban, and room shocker. I don't want to mask the smell. I want to get rid of it. Any ideas?

By Cheryl S

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By texann 4 Flag

I've read that wood really retains odors, especially in wet and humid climates. Other than stripping all finishes and revarnishing everything, there is little experts recommend.

However, in my house I had the same problem until I started regularly using a steam mop. On really raining days I can still smell the inside of my walls, but I truly feel that the steam mop has permeated the icky smells of the flooring.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Awful Smell in Entryway

We have an odor only in our back hall. It smells like a cross between musty and dead animal. We have completely redone the basement, but the smell seems to be confined to the front entry. What can we do?

By Jacqueline

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Fletcher 22 31 Flag

It could be a dead mouse or bird somewhere within your walls, attic, or crawlspace. If you can get into the attic and crawlspace check for signs of animal intrusion. If the animal died somewhere truly inaccessible the smell will usually fade over time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Foul Smell in the House

I experience a strong foul smell as I enter the house through the main door. I have examined the surrounding passage area, but can not see the source. Can it be something in the ceiling?

By Biren S

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By pearson777 2 5 Flag

This happened to me. Couldn't figure it out in the beginning but as the foul odor became stronger, I was able to "follow my nose" and discovered a rotten potato had evidently rolled under the refrigerator at some point.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Bad Smell in House

My 78 year old mother has a problem with a smell in her home making her sick and headaches. No one can smell it but her. She smells it most in the bedroom and the living room. She has been taping the vents closed in those rooms as she smells it the most when the furnace comes on. We have had the ducts cleaned and the furnace filter changed and it is no better. Any suggestions?

By Mary Ellen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By carla 1 74 Flag

Hi Mary Ellen, If your mother has a "bird dog nose" (mine did) she may be smelling something you can't smell. The one thing I'd worry about is if you have natural gas, that can cause headaches from carbon monoxide poisoning. Could it be a new item in the house (drywall from China), bedding, diet changes (at night she off gasses it through breathing). The furnace may warm the smell and make it more apparent.

The other option is to have your mom checked by a doctor. There are medical issues that can cause your brain and nose to smell things that aren't there or are there. Epilepsy, tumors, etc. I don't want to scare you, but it's what I would do if it was my mom. Hope you find a solution. I'd Google it and see what you can find.

Blessings on you and your mom.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Rotten Dead Smell in My House

By Judy K. 1

I have lived here almost 4 years. Starting yesterday morning there is a strong smell of rotten decay in front of the dish cupboard in my kitchen. It's built into an interior wall, with an open coat closet on the other side of the wall. No smell there or inside of the cupboard, just right in front of it.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Horrible Smell in Closets

We just bought/moved into a house and there is a horrible odor in several of the closets. At first, I thought it was just the closets with the air vents, but now it is moving to more closets that do not have vents.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More
                      Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 22, 2013
                      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
                      woman holding her nose
                      Getting Rid of Urine Odors
                      Locating Adopted Relatives
                      Locating Adopted Relatives
                      Leather Boots
                      Cleaning Cat Urine on Leather Boots
                      cat peeking out from under braided rug
                      Locating Pet Urine Stains
                      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:15:25 AM on 10.0.1.200 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
                      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
                      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
                      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
                      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings