Losing Weight With a Treadmill

Whether it's at the gym or in your own home, treadmills are a great way to burn some excess fat. It's an easy to exercise to multitask with other activities like reading a book or watching TV. This is a guide to losing weight with a treadmill.

June 16, 2006 Flag

How do I know if I am burning fat when I use my treadmill? I have a calorie indicator and a pulse monitor but how do I know if I am working out effectively? I weigh 160 and am 5'9 and 37 years old. Please help if you know! How long will it take for me to lose 10 pounds if I eat sensibly.

Any tips anyone?

Paula from USA

I have brought a treadmill. I am 16 stone. I have been walking fast on it for 2 weeks 20 mins a day. I feel I have more energy and have lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. Before I was in a rut with no energy. I want to loose 4 stone. I am 47 years old and will do it.

I had a baby 3 moths ago. I am working out for 2 weeks now. There is no difference at all. I am not losing any. Can somebody tell me why? 30 minutes everyday, please help me.

I just started working out on it about 4 days ago I do different every day like today I got up and I walked on the treadmill for 30:00 mins. I had a baby 15 months ago and never lose any weight but what the baby took out of me. I want to lose about 10 pounds. I'm 5 2 and weight 154, I have a heart condition so I have to watch my self and not to try and out do it!

I go to the gym daily and see people on the treadmill everyday going through the motion. I find if I can read on any cardio equipment, I am going too slow.

You don't say what speed you are going when on the treadmill which is another important factor. Not everyone can jump on and go for a 30 minute run or jog but if you are just setting the machine at a comfortable speed where you could walk all day, you are going too slow. If you are just starting out and are out of shape - maybe you have to set your machine at 3.2 mph and that is fine but walk 1 minute at this speed then one minute at 3.4 then back to 3.2. These may not be your speeds but the idea is to do a bit of intervals. Increase the speed as you get comfortable on the treadmill or increase the number of minutes you go the faster speed and not everyday should be the same. Some days I will jog at 5.2 and run at 6.2 other days, I will decrease my jog to a walk but increase the run speed.

Increase you incline. You will not notice a big difference if you go from 0 incline to 2, so start there an gradually increase.

DO NOT HOLD ON TO THE MACHINE! When you are walking in real life you don't go around leaning on something when walking.

Also, try to get in some type of resistance not just treadmill. If you don't go to a gym, buy a set of good resistance bands that have enough resistance that you can pull them but not so much that everything is easy. Go online you will find many instructions for good resistance exercises. If you have access to weights use them - if not use your body weights and bands in your training.

Some think just walking alone you will lose weight. I think you need a bit more. Watch diet - drop processed foods and eat clean (real food - veggies, fruit, meats, poultry, fish and some nuts.) My spouse is overweight and because I don't want him to eat processed foods I don't limit how much he can eat - just the foods he eats. Usually I cook enough meat for the two of us and then lots of veggies and these are what he can overindulge in. At first he was eating a lot but over a period of a couple of months started leveling off and now it is unusual that he will have seconds.

Do not think in terms of number of pounds. Weight varies all the time and it is not unusual to be down 2 lbs one day and up 3 the next. Instead, grab a tape measure and record you measurements - better yet, stay off the scale (especially at the beginning as your weight may increase as you body adjusts) and just "know" by the way your clothes fit that you are headed in the right direction. There is no magic formula to say in 30 days you will lose x number of pounds. It depends on you, your effort, your diet and your metabolism. Don't look for the easy way out in either exercise or in diet. You don't need pills, you don't need a fad diet you need a bit of work, determination and common sense.

Health & Beauty Fitness Running and JoggingJuly 25, 2011
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Losing Weight
Losing Weight
Diabetic Weight Loss
Diabetic Weight Loss Tips
Yogurt Bread Dough
Weight Watchers Yogurt Bread Dough
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 10:32:50 AM on 10.0.1.90 in 627 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.