Making Scented Sachets

Adding fragrance to linens and clothing can be accomplished with dried flower sachets. This guide is about making scented sachets.

December 11, 2014 Flag

These lavender sachets are made with the minimum of sewing, but still give the impression of traditional craftsmanship.

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 2 yards of lace = 9 bags

• 2 yd 4 inch wide broderie anglais lace
  • 2 yd narrow satin ribbon (scraps are nice because you can vary the colours)
  • white or cream sewing thread (depending on shade of lace)
  • dried lavender flowers or pot pourri (these can be obtained from eBay)

1. Take an 8 inch length of lace and fold it in half to make a 4 inch square.
  2. Seam the two raw edges.
  3. Turn the bag inside out.
  4. Insert a teaspoonful of lavender.
  5. Use narrow ribbon to bind the bag below the lace edge, and finish with a bow. It would be possible to fashion a loop from the ribbon to affix to a coat hanger, but you might want to draw up the bag with a running stitch before affixing the ribbon, in this case, to make sure that the bag contents would not end up on the floor if the ribbon was pulled in the process of moving coat hangers along the rail.
  6. Ad

What a lovely little gift this would make, you've got my vote! Simple, quick, pretty, useful, ... perfect! :)

June 29, 2011 Flag

These fragrant and easy to make sachets can be hung in your closet, put in your drawer, or displayed in an area that needs a little scent to it. All of these items were recycled from other projects.

Approximate Time:

Instructions:

1. Take the image and copy it to the size you wish to make by adjusting the size on your printer drop down menu. Mine was 4" X 4".

2. We used the light box to copy the pattern onto the muslin fabric. You can also use dressmakers paper and copy it that way as well.
  3. Next I cut the designs and left about half an inch on each side as well as top and bottom.
  4. Next I cut the backing fabric bigger than the muslin piece with the image and sewed it with the back towards the machine. I added the hanging trim in the middle of the top to hang it by. (We call this top stitching.) Leave a small open space to put the cotton in.
  5. Trim around the entire pattern with pinking shears.
  6. Color your image to suit yourself with regular crayons.
  7. Add fiberfill and your preference of essential oils to the cotton by dropping a few drops into the cotton.
  8. Finish the open area with small back stitches.

Now you have a pretty sachet to hang in your closet or in an area you want to stay fresh. One could also can be used in your dresser to keep your clothes smelling nice.

Note: A darling idea for this project would be to use a zigzag stitch or any other cute stitch that wouldn't let the stuffing come out.

By Gem from VA

Great idea! Will make cute stocking fillers for Christmas. :-)

November 3, 2009 Flag

If you are like me, and I think you are, you like fresh smelling sheets and pillow cases and lingerie. I don't like to buy all of the expensive softeners and perfumes to make my linens smell good because they don't smell natural. It's almost always chemical.

Instead, I take all of the herbs from my garden (lavender, oregano, basil, thyme and other aromatics) that grow year round and then give them a little crush with a rolling pin. Then I stuff them into a large or medium zip bags. I poke holes in the bags and layer them in-between my folded sheets, towels, pillow cases and underwear.

The scent is fresh, invigorating and takes me back to summer. These bags can be good up to 6 months. You can even hang them in your closet. It smells so good!

By sue123 from Oroville, CA

Great idea! Just make sure that the herbs are totally dry before putting them in plastic and in between sheets, etc. or they'll get moldy.

February 22, 2001 Flag

Make your own sachets. I recommend growing lavender, mint, thyme, rosemary, and other herbs. When you harvest cut extra to give to friend or make your own sachets or potpourri.

Lavender Sachets

For your sachets you can use other herbs, dried rose petals, lemon grass or lemon verbena, and spices. If you like the smell of the mixture, it is likely others will, too.

Place in small bags made of any closely woven fabric. Sew shut and tie with a ribbon if desired. You can be creative. Decorate with buttons, beads or little silk flowers.

Use used dryer sheets or cotton balls.

May 4, 2006 Flag
Christine Weber1 found this helpful

Sweetly scented of spring, these sachets filled with lavender and tied with a ribbon are lovely to slip into a drawer for freshly scented linen or lingerie.

A sachet for holding lavender.

July 5, 2006 Flag

In the spring, I cut large bunches of lilacs. I hang them in a walk-in closet upside down for drying. While they dry, I stitch small pouches (from scrap cloth) and add ribbons for hanging.

October 18, 2004 Flag

Today I harvested my lavender and put together about a dozen pieces in each bunch and tied them together with a piece of string and hung them in my garage to dry well. I will then remove the little pieces and use them in small pieces of cloth that I will sew into little pillows.

September 14, 2011 Flag

I would love to make some sachets for gifts, but do not know what to fill them with. Can anyone help?

By packlestax

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can fill them either totally with potpourri (either store bought or home made), or partially with pillow stuffing and potpourri. It helps if you can add a few drops of the scented oil to go along with the potpourri, to help the scent last longer.

We did this one year with an old family wedding gown that was shredding, and used the good parts of the satin and lace, giving one to each female family member.

Crafts MiscellaneousJanuary 14, 2013
Making Soap Sachets
Making Soap Sachets
Scented Bars of Soap
Uses for Scented Soap
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
🎉
🎄