Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making Scented Sachets

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Scented Sachets

Adding fragrance to linens and clothing can be accomplished with dried flower sachets. This guide is about making scented sachets.

Solutions: Making Scented Sachets

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Herbal Sachets for Fresh Smelling Sheets

If you are like me, and I think you are, you like fresh smelling sheets and pillow cases and lingerie. I don't like to buy all of the expensive softeners and perfumes to make my linens smell good because they don't smell natural. It's almost always chemical.

Instead, I take all of the herbs from my garden (lavender, oregano, basil, thyme and other aromatics) that grow year round and then give them a little crush with a rolling pin. Then I stuff them into a large or medium zip bags. I poke holes in the bags and layer them in-between my folded sheets, towels, pillow cases and underwear.

The scent is fresh, invigorating and takes me back to summer. These bags can be good up to 6 months. You can even hang them in your closet. It smells so good!

By sue123 from Oroville, CA

Tip: Make Your Own Sachets

Make your own sachets. I recommend growing lavender, mint, thyme, rosemary, and other herbs. When you harvest cut extra to give to friend or make your own sachets or potpourri.

Lavender Sachets

• 1/2 pound lavender flowers (take the dried flowers off the stems)
  • 1/2 ounce dried mint (remove stems)
  • woven fabric
For your sachets you can use other herbs, dried rose petals, lemon grass or lemon verbena, and spices. If you like the smell of the mixture, it is likely others will, too.

Place in small bags made of any closely woven fabric. Sew shut and tie with a ribbon if desired. You can be creative. Decorate with buttons, beads or little silk flowers.

Lavender Sachets

A sachet for holding lavender.Sweetly scented of spring, these sachets filled with lavender and tied with a ribbon are lovely to slip into a drawer for freshly scented linen or lingerie.

Materials and Equipment:

• a piece of patterned cotton, about 6 inches wide and 8 inches long
  • sewing pins
  • a piece of lacy edging, about 1 inch wide and 10 inches long
  • a needle
  • thread to match your fabric
  • a piece of pretty ribbon, about a foot long
  • dried lavender, a few scoops or enough to fill one sachet
  • scissors

Instructions:

1. Fold the longer edge over 1/2 an inch to create a seam allowance. Pin the piece of lacy edging along the inside of this folded edge, so that about 1/2 an inch of lace peeks up over the edge (see photo). Sew the material and lace tightly together.
  2. Next fold the piece of material in half width-wise, with the pattern facing inward.
  3. Pin together the lengths and the non-lace end of the material so that you have a bag with the top end (the end with the lace sewn onto it) open.
  4. Sew the pinned edges together.
  5. Turn the material inside out. You should have small bag with a lacy edge around the top opening.
  6. Fill the bag with dried lavender until 2/3 full.
  7. Tie the bag closed with the ribbon.
  8. Place your sachet in a drawer and breathe in deeply next time you open it!

By Christine Weber

Tip: Lilac Sachets

In the spring, I cut large bunches of lilacs. I hang them in a walk-in closet upside down for drying. While they dry, I stitch small pouches (from scrap cloth) and add ribbons for hanging.

I put the dried lilacs in the pouches and give them to family for their closets. My closet has the fresh smell of lilacs for weeks. As far as cost there really is none as the cloth I use is scraps and the flowers grow all over my property.

*Note - If you do not grow lilacs ask a neighbor who does if you can harvest some of theirs.

By Kathy

Editor's Note: This would also work well with lavender.

Tip: Lavender Pillow Stocking Stuffers

Today I harvested my lavender and put together about a dozen pieces in each bunch and tied them together with a piece of string and hung them in my garage to dry well. I will then remove the little pieces and use them in small pieces of cloth that I will sew into little pillows. They smell really nice and make great "stocking stuffers".

By joesgirl

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Making Scented Sachets.

Question: Making Sachets

I would love to make some sachets for gifts, but do not know what to fill them with. Can anyone help?

By packlestax

Most Recent Answer

By Frances Adams [11]09/15/2011

You can fill them either totally with potpourri (either store bought or home made), or partially with pillow stuffing and potpourri. It helps if you can add a few drops of the scented oil to go along with the potpourri, to help the scent last longer.

We did this one year with an old family wedding gown that was shredding, and used the good parts of the satin and lace, giving one to each female family member.