Making Scented Sachets

Category Miscellaneous
Adding fragrance to linens and clothing can be accomplished with dried flower sachets. This guide is about making scented sachets.

Yes, I remember. Long before we had our GE Filter Flow Washer. And long before we had our wringer washer. Mama washed our clothes on a scrub board. She heated the water with a fire built under a black cast iron wash pot. Our only other source of hot water was a kettle on the wood stove.

The clothes were always hung to dry on a clothes line. Crawling into bed at night 'neath those fresh bed linens, still scented with pure sunshine, was a sweet experience.

Mama kept those linens smelling nice even when they were folded and put away. There were traveling salesmen in those days. Some sold brushes, some sold razor blades, some sharpened knives, some took pictures of children sitting on ponies, and some sold a variety of items, including sachets.

Mama bought those sachets when she had a nickle to spare. They came in a little box about the size of a hotel guest soap. I don't know what they were made of. They were of a soft wax like texture. Over a period of a few months, the sachets eventually evaporated, all the while giving the linen drawers and the linens a delightful scent reminiscent of one's favorite bath soap.

I'm still crazy about nice scents. No matter what else I bought my lady friends for their birthdays, they could know to expect to get a bottle of one of the better perfumes or eau de parfums.

I have a favorite bath soap. Its scent greets me each time I enter the bath. I have a favorite after shave, Dante Original. Regretfully, it hasn't been made in many years. I settle for the scent of new mown hay in the form of Aqua Velva.

It's nice to pull out a sweater from a drawer and get a slight hint of your own signature scent. It's a small way of getting back in touch with your own self. It just feels good.

I make my own sachets. They don't last for months like the old timey ones did. I'll settle for a few weeks. I buy tiny plastic bags from Walmart. I use them for storing seed. I saturate the tips of a couple of swabs with my earthy Aqua Velva and put them into the bags, making sure they're sealed well.

Though well sealed, the fragrance does escape into the drawers, a bit at a time. Just enough to greet you with your favorite scent each time the drawer is opened.

I won a few bucks by submitting pictures to ThriftyFun. And guess what? I'm going to take part of that money and buy myself a bottle of 4711. I haven't worn it in years. It smells like a cross between a bakery shop and a bar of nice bath soap. Extremely fresh. Yes!

Anonymous

try in the craft section, near the beads

I love the magazines with perfume samples. I make little sachets out of them by transferring the lovely scent onto small squares of tissue. I then put those scented squares into a crocheted bag. After scrunching the sachet, it smells so nice. I like keeping the samples of perfumes for as long as possible ;)

These lavender sachets are made with the minimum of sewing, but still give the impression of traditional craftsmanship.

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 2 yards of lace = 9 bags

• 2 yd 4 inch wide broderie anglais lace
  • 2 yd narrow satin ribbon (scraps are nice because you can vary the colours)
  • white or cream sewing thread (depending on shade of lace)
  • dried lavender flowers or pot pourri (these can be obtained from eBay)

1. Take an 8 inch length of lace and fold it in half to make a 4 inch square.
  2. Seam the two raw edges.
  3. Turn the bag inside out.
  4. Insert a teaspoonful of lavender.
  5. Use narrow ribbon to bind the bag below the lace edge, and finish with a bow. It would be possible to fashion a loop from the ribbon to affix to a coat hanger, but you might want to draw up the bag with a running stitch before affixing the ribbon, in this case, to make sure that the bag contents would not end up on the floor if the ribbon was pulled in the process of moving coat hangers along the rail.

What a lovely little gift this would make, you've got my vote! Simple, quick, pretty, useful, ... perfect! :)

square sachet with blue pansey type flowers inside an orange circle

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

These fragrant and easy to make sachets can be hung in your closet, put in your drawer, or displayed in an area that needs a little scent to it. All of these items were recycled from other projects.

I don't like to buy all of the expensive softeners and perfumes to make my linens smell good because they don't smell natural. It's almost always chemical.

I recommend growing lavender, mint, thyme, rosemary, and other herbs. When you harvest, cut extra to give to friend or make your own sachets or potpourri.

Christine Weber1 found this helpful

A sachet for holding lavender.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Sweetly scented of spring, these sachets filled with lavender and tied with a ribbon are lovely to slip into a drawer for freshly scented linen or lingerie.

In the spring, I cut large bunches of lilacs. I hang them in a walk-in closet upside down for drying. While they dry, I stitch small pouches (from scrap cloth) and add ribbons for hanging.

Today I harvested my lavender and put together about a dozen pieces in each bunch and tied them together with a piece of string and hung them in my garage to dry well. I will then remove the little pieces and use them in small pieces of cloth that I will sew into little pillows.

I would love to make some sachets for gifts, but do not know what to fill them with. Can anyone help?

By packlestax

You can fill them either totally with potpourri (either store bought or home made), or partially with pillow stuffing and potpourri. It helps if you can add a few drops of the scented oil to go along with the potpourri, to help the scent last longer.

We did this one year with an old family wedding gown that was shredding, and used the good parts of the satin and lace, giving one to each female family member.