Making Your Own Laundry Soap with Fels Naptha Soap

I have saved a ton of money by making my own laundry detergent. I grate a bar of Fels Naptha soap (I buy it in the grocery store for about 79 cents) and add 4 cups of water to it. Heat it on low until the soap is dissolved. I like to add some extras (I think it adds extra cleaning power ) like white vinegar, dish detergent, or if I think I'll need extra, Extra Power Oxi-Clean. I put the soap mixture in a 5 gallon bucket and add 4 gallons of hot water. Stir, put on a lid and let it set overnight and it becomes thick. I use 1 to 1 1/2 cups per load. It works great.

By Christine

Answers:

Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe - Dry

I try to save money at every turn, something I have just started doing is to make my own laundry detergent. It's very easy and ends up costing pennies per load. All you need is 1 cup grated Fels Naptha bar soap, 1/2 cup borax, and 1/2 cup washing soda. Mix it all and use 1 tablespoon for a regular load, 2 tablespoons for a really soiled load. If you can't find Fels Naptha, here's a website that can help you, dialcorp.com

By Billie (10/28/2004)

By ThriftyFun

I've been using this basic recipe for several months and its awesome! I'm a fitness instructor so you can imagine my laundry is stinky, but this mixture does the trick. I usually triple it to save time and I like to use 1/4 cup vinegar in the rinse cycle as well. (10/29/2004)

By Katie in NY

Fels Naptha is available at Lehman's online. lehmans.com

I think most any grocery store would order it for you if you asked them.

This site has grated soap and the bars also:

soapsgonebuy.com (10/31/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Here is a list of laundry detergent recipes from http://www.SoapsGoneBuy.com

"Fels Naptha Soap is a fantastic stain remover and pre-treater. It works especially well on oil-based stains. Just rub the stain with a wet bar of Fels Naptha soap. Let it sit for a while and launder as usual. It works great on baby clothes which have formula stains.

• For chocolate smudge on clothes, rub the stain with Fels Naptha soap and let sit in your filled washer with 20 Mule Team Borax for 30 minutes. Launder as usual.

• Thoroughly wash all clothing including hats, gloves coats in Fels Naptha soap to prevent an outbreak of poison ivy. Poison ivy resin can remain on your clothes for over 1 year. Washing with Fels Naptha will eliminate the resin from your clothing.

• To remove Halloween makeup from clothing, simply work a little Fels Naptha into the stain and launder as usual. It may take a repeat washing to completely remove the stain.

• To clean white canvas tennis shoes, simply work the Fels Naptha soap into a lather and use a soft brush to work into the canvas. Launder as usual without chlorine bleach.

• To remove old stains on colored clothes, make a solution of 2 cups warm water and 1/2 cup white vinegar. Pour on stain. Let soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Rinse well and work in Fels Naptha soap. Launder as usual."

SOAP RECIPES

First Recipe:

• 3 pints water
  • 1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
  • 1/2 cup washing soda (Arm and Hammer, NOT baking soda though)
  • 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
  • 2 gallon bucket to mix it in
  • 1 quart hot water
  • hot water

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints hot water and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in washing soda and borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to 2 gallon bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

Second Recipe:

• 1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
  • 1/2 cup washing soda (Arm and Hammer again)
  • 1/2 cup Borax (20 mule team Borax)
  • 2 Tablespoons glycerin
  • 2 cups water

Mix first three ingredients together, than add glycerin and water. Use 1/2 to 3/4 cup per load. This one works best in cold or warm water.

Third Recipe:

• water
  • 1 bar grated Fels Naptha soap
  • 5 gallon bucket
  • 1 cup washing soda (again, Arm and Hammer)
  • 4 1/2 gallons water

Put grated Fels Naptha in saucepan and cover with water. Heat on low until dissolved. Fill bucket with hot water and add soap. Stir to combine. Add 1 cup washing soda and mix well. As it cools, it will thicken. May be used immediately. Use 1- 2 cups per load.

Powdered Laundry Detergent

• 1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
  • 1/2 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup 20 mule team borax

Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light loads, use 1 tablespoon. For heavy loads, use 2 tablespoons. (/quote) (10/31/2004)

By ThriftyFun

I use the first recipe ThriftyFun posted, but I have some more specific instructions for it. The first time I made it it came out a little too watery and lumpy. After practice I have it down and it is a nice gel consistency.

Liquid Laundry Detergent

• 3 pints water
  • 1/3 bar Fels Naptha or Ivory soap, grated
  • 1/2 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup borax
  • bucket
  • 4 quarts + 1 pint boiling/hot water
  • optional: 15 drops lavender essential oil (or whatever EO you prefer)
  • optional: 10 drops tea tree oil

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat until dissolved. Stir in washing soda and borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Add another 2 quarts "boiling" hot water and 1 additional quart plus 1 pint hot water and mix well. If using essential oils, add these now. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

I use cloth diapers on my two boys so I have a lot of laundry. I make up the detergent two batches at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. I love this stuff!
(11/04/2005)

By *Jessica*

I like to keep my 5 gallon bucket in my laundry closet next to the washing machine. I use cheap shampoo, Sauve, VO5, anything that I have gotten free. I make the most basic recipe using Ivory soap/washing soda, and water. Then I "boost" the concoction w/my shampoo. I have saved a ton of money and I never run out of laundry detergent!

My family thinks I am crazy/crazy like a fox. (05/02/2006)

By COOKIEPOM

I use Fels Naptha Soap for cleaning almost everything in my house. It works great and is so cheap it's amazing. One bar lasts forever and costs about a dollar. I just washed my kitchen floor with it today. I just lathered it onto a damp sponge mop and used water to rinse. It produces an amazing amount of lather. I have even used it on windows, just lather it onto a wet sponge, swipe, then rinse with a damp towel. It doesn't leave a residue. It's great for countertops, too. (07/22/2006)

By Susan

I have used Fels Naptha soap for many years for my own and my daughter's underwear when there has been an accident from monthly cycles. I usually soak them in some grated soap and cold water for a couple hours then rub the area with a hunk of soap to work up a good lather before washing in the machine. After this there is nothing left of the stain. (08/03/2009)

By mammabear3