Making Your Own Laundry Soap with Fels Naptha Soap

I have saved a ton of money by making my own laundry detergent. I grate a bar of Fels Naptha soap (I buy it in the grocery store for about 79 cents) and add 4 cups of water to it. Heat it on low until the soap is dissolved. I like to add some extras (I think it adds extra cleaning power ) like white vinegar, dish detergent, or if I think I'll need extra, Extra Power Oxi-Clean. I put the soap mixture in a 5 gallon bucket and add 4 gallons of hot water. Stir, put on a lid and let it set overnight and it becomes thick. I use 1 to 1 1/2 cups per load. It works great.

By Christine

Answers:

Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe - Dry

I try to save money at every turn, something I have just started doing is to make my own laundry detergent. It's very easy and ends up costing pennies per load. All you need is 1 cup grated Fels Naptha bar soap, 1/2 cup borax, and 1/2 cup washing soda. Mix it all and use 1 tablespoon for a regular load, 2 tablespoons for a really soiled load. If you can't find Fels Naptha, here's a website that can help you, dialcorp.com

By Billie (10/28/2004)

By ThriftyFun

I've been using this basic recipe for several months and its awesome! I'm a fitness instructor so you can imagine my laundry is stinky, but this mixture does the trick. I usually triple it to save time and I like to use 1/4 cup vinegar in the rinse cycle as well. (10/29/2004)

By Katie in NY

Fels Naptha is available at Lehman's online. lehmans.com

I think most any grocery store would order it for you if you asked them.

This site has grated soap and the bars also:

soapsgonebuy.com (10/31/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Here is a list of laundry detergent recipes from http://www.SoapsGoneBuy.com

"Fels Naptha Soap is a fantastic stain remover and pre-treater. It works especially well on oil-based stains. Just rub the stain with a wet bar of Fels Naptha soap. Let it sit for a while and launder as usual. It works great on baby clothes which have formula stains.

• For chocolate smudge on clothes, rub the stain with Fels Naptha soap and let sit in your filled washer with 20 Mule Team Borax for 30 minutes. Launder as usual.

• Thoroughly wash all clothing including hats, gloves coats in Fels Naptha soap to prevent an outbreak of poison ivy. Poison ivy resin can remain on your clothes for over 1 year. Washing with Fels Naptha will eliminate the resin from your clothing.

• To remove Halloween makeup from clothing, simply work a little Fels Naptha into the stain and launder as usual. It may take a repeat washing to completely remove the stain.

• To clean white canvas tennis shoes, simply work the Fels Naptha soap into a lather and use a soft brush to work into the canvas. Launder as usual without chlorine bleach.

• To remove old stains on colored clothes, make a solution of 2 cups warm water and 1/2 cup white vinegar. Pour on stain. Let soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Rinse well and work in Fels Naptha soap. Launder as usual."

SOAP RECIPES

First Recipe:

• 3 pints water
  • 1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
  • 1/2 cup washing soda (Arm and Hammer, NOT baking soda though)
  • 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
  • 2 gallon bucket to mix it in
  • 1 quart hot water
  • hot water

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints hot water and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in washing soda and borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to 2 gallon bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

Second Recipe:

• 1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
  • 1/2 cup washing soda (Arm and Hammer again)
  • 1/2 cup Borax (20 mule team Borax)
  • 2 Tablespoons glycerin
  • 2 cups water

Mix first three ingredients together, than add glycerin and water. Use 1/2 to 3/4 cup per load. This one works best in cold or warm water.

Third Recipe:

• water
  • 1 bar grated Fels Naptha soap
  • 5 gallon bucket
  • 1 cup washing soda (again, Arm and Hammer)
  • 4 1/2 gallons water

Put grated Fels Naptha in saucepan and cover with water. Heat on low until dissolved. Fill bucket with hot water and add soap. Stir to combine. Add 1 cup washing soda and mix well. As it cools, it will thicken. May be used immediately. Use 1- 2 cups per load.

Powdered Laundry Detergent

• 1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
  • 1/2 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup 20 mule team borax

Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light loads, use 1 tablespoon. For heavy loads, use 2 tablespoons. (/quote) (10/31/2004)

By ThriftyFun

I use the first recipe ThriftyFun posted, but I have some more specific instructions for it. The first time I made it it came out a little too watery and lumpy. After practice I have it down and it is a nice gel consistency.

Liquid Laundry Detergent

• 3 pints water
  • 1/3 bar Fels Naptha or Ivory soap, grated
  • 1/2 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup borax
  • bucket
  • 4 quarts + 1 pint boiling/hot water
  • optional: 15 drops lavender essential oil (or whatever EO you prefer)
  • optional: 10 drops tea tree oil

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat until dissolved. Stir in washing soda and borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Add another 2 quarts "boiling" hot water and 1 additional quart plus 1 pint hot water and mix well. If using essential oils, add these now. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

I use cloth diapers on my two boys so I have a lot of laundry. I make up the detergent two batches at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. I love this stuff!

(11/04/2005)

By *Jessica*

I like to keep my 5 gallon bucket in my laundry closet next to the washing machine. I use cheap shampoo, Sauve, VO5, anything that I have gotten free. I make the most basic recipe using Ivory soap/washing soda, and water. Then I "boost" the concoction w/my shampoo. I have saved a ton of money and I never run out of laundry detergent!

My family thinks I am crazy/crazy like a fox. (05/02/2006)

By COOKIEPOM

I use Fels Naptha Soap for cleaning almost everything in my house. It works great and is so cheap it's amazing. One bar lasts forever and costs about a dollar. I just washed my kitchen floor with it today. I just lathered it onto a damp sponge mop and used water to rinse. It produces an amazing amount of lather. I have even used it on windows, just lather it onto a wet sponge, swipe, then rinse with a damp towel. It doesn't leave a residue. It's great for countertops, too. (07/22/2006)

By Susan

I have used Fels Naptha soap for many years for my own and my daughter's underwear when there has been an accident from monthly cycles. I usually soak them in some grated soap and cold water for a couple hours then rub the area with a hunk of soap to work up a good lather before washing in the machine. After this there is nothing left of the stain. (08/03/2009)

By mammabear3

A washer filled with laundry.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Fels Naptha Soap
Buying Fels Naptha Soap
Laundry Detergent
Making Homemade Laundry Detergent
package of soap
Using Fels Naptha Soap
🎉
🎄