Fels Naptha Alternatives

Category Laundry
Fels Naptha is used for treating clothing stains and is a common ingredient in homemade laundry soaps. This is a guide about Fels Naptha alternatives.

I need a translation from American to a European version. What is Fels Naphta soap and can you use soap in a front loading washing machine? I always thought you have to use low suds detergent otherwise you do damage to your washing machine. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Answers

By Mary (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have a recipe for Laundry Soap that uses 1/3 bar of Fels Naptha soap OR one whole bar of Ivory Soap. I hope this helps.

By Linda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Zote works. It is made in Mexico, I could not find the fels naptha and my daughter in law told me about this. I have made it several times and I love it. I don't know who else carries this but Super One store /Brookshires carry it in my area. It works well. Has a soft scent .

I have been reading all the tips on this site and am going to try making my own laundry soap. I like the recipe using the Fels-Naptha, however I don't think it is available here in Toronto. Is it possible to use any other laundry bar soap like sunlight for example or am I limited to the Fels Naptha or Ivory?

Terry Lynn

Answers:

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

Sunlight bar soap is the same as Fels Naptha as far as ingredients go. Wonderful for getting grease out of poly/cottons, etc. (09/27/2005)

By siris

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

I love making my own stuff. You can get Fels at this site. http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/ (09/27/2005)

By Fran Hackerman

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

I would try using Kirks natural castile soap bar (grated of course) in the recipes. It is a bar that is a shampoo and all around bar. I have been using it for a shampoo bar (dyed hair and all) and it is wonderful. I have used the other recipes for the laundry soap and would try it in that. Hope it works for you. You can purchase it online if you do not have it in your stores. (09/27/2005)

By Sheila

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

Colgate has a solid 7 oz bar soap called "Octagon" all-purpose soap. It's been around for years and costs only .69

They have a Customer Affairs line 1-800-221-4607. You could ask them where it is available or if you can buy in bulk and have it shipped.

This soap has cleaned dirt I NEVER thought could be cleaned!! It cleans EVERYTHING!! (09/27/2005)

By Fran Marie

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

Thanks everyone. I found a site that stated that Sunlight Laundry Bar (it is a pure soap) has been substituted in this recipe for the Fels-Naptha here in Canada since Fels-Naptha is not available (except online and in U.S. dollars). I'll let you know how it turns out.

T (09/27/2005)

By Terry Lynn

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

I make my own powder laundry soap, and it uses 1 T of soap to do a whole load of laundry. I use any kind of soap-often grating up the little bars from hotels and any samples I have. I use the food processor to grate the soap. I love this deterg. (09/27/2005)

By Linda

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

Well, I did it! I used the Sunlight laundry bar. I can't believe this stuff. It's amazing! It has cleaned items that bleach couldn't! I have been doing the laundry by hand and can't believe the dirt coming out of the clothes. I even did some "clean" items that were previously washed in the store bought stuff and there was still dirt coming out of them! Even my skeptical husband likes it. His clothes are cleaner, brighter and softer.

I sat down and did a calculation and figured that it cost me about $0.78 for approximately 8 litres of detergent!

After my success with laundry detergent, I made more fabric softener, some dish detergent, all purpose cleaner, disinfectant, and shower gel. I will never spend money on the store bought products again.

Thanks everyone!

By Terry Lynn

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

I found the Sunlight bar in the laundry aisle in the grocery store. It was on the top shelf and I had to look, but its been in the same place (now that I know where to look) more or less in every grocery store I've been in. I've also seen a laundry bar in the Italian grocery store I go to. The laundry bar is called Linda. Its the one my mother-in-law uses for her hand laundry. I imagine that would work too. From what I've read on this site, any bar works, but I'm going to stick to the laundry bars. (10/25/2005)

By Terry Lynn

RE: Fels Naptha Alternative

Does anyone know the ingredients to Octagon Soap? It's still produced by the Colgate-Palmolive Co., but I'd like to know if it's all-natural, or whatever. I just feel better knowing, since I'd like to try it as a cheaper alternative to Dreft, for my baby twins' clothing! Thank you! (09/19/2006)

By Maureen

I found this link. Dial Corporation makes Fels Naptha Soap Bars: you can see where it is sold in your area:

http://www.dial  or/storeloc2.cfm