Mock Potato Salad

Does anyone have a recipe for a mock potato salad made with saltines? I heard it was popular back when we used to make apple pie with Ritz crackers.

Thanks,
Betty from Slate Hill, NY

Answers:

Mock Potato Salad

I don't know of a recipe with saltines, but my friend makes mock potato salad using cooked cauliflower in place of potatoes to make it lower in calories. (05/08/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Mock Potato Salad

I run a food pantry and am involved with the local food bank which is the main source of our food. We are more likely to have potatoes to share than saltines. I would think that saltines are what you put peanut butter on. Either the subscriber is just curious or she needs to be encouraged to look around for her local food pantry. Good luck. (05/09/2007)

By Barbara

Potato Salad Without Potatoes (Mock Potato Salad)

Here is one I found on the net

Ingredients

• 4 stay-fresh bags saltine crackers
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 cup onions, chopped
  • 1 cup sweet relish or sweet pickles, chopped
  • 1 cup dill relish or dill pickles, chopped
  • salad dressing (not mayonnaise)
  • 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • Louisiana hot sauce, to taste
  • 1 cup and more pimento olives, chopped
  • 1 cup black olives, chopped
  • 1 cup green onions (optional)

Instructions

Crumble crackers and mix in all ingredients in a large bowl. Add salad dressing to the desired consistency. If you serve the next day, you might have to add more salad dressing because the crackers drink up all those tasty juices.

Credits: From: Justin Wilson Gourmet and Gourmand Cookbook (Pelican Publishing) (05/09/2007)

By WIsgal

Mock Potato Salad

Also known as "cracker salad." You can use your favorite recipe for potato salad and use crackers instead of the potatoes. My aunt brought one of these salads for our Christmas dinner and I didn't care for it, but I also don't like her potato salad either! LOL! I've been thinking about making one of my own with my own recipe for potato salad just to see if mine would be better. Try it, what have you got to lose?

(05/10/2007)

By Shelly

Mock Potato Salad

I've mashed cauliflower to imitate mashed potatoes, but never thought to try it in a salad. Thanks Persnickety, I'm going to try that. (05/10/2007)

By Lynn

Mock Potato Salad

I have always been puzzled by the recipe for "mock apple pie" on the back of the Ritz cracker box, and now I find out you can make potato salad from crackers as well. Why? Neither apples or potatoes are particularly expensive. In fact, a box of Ritz crackers may actually cost more than a few apples! Bu if you like these "mock" recipes, go for it! I do like the mock potato salad recipe using cauliflower. Now that sounds good! (05/14/2007)

By Mary

Mock Potato Salad

Make your favorite potato salad and use crackers in the place of potatoes! I's just that easy. My aunt brought some of this for Christmas last year and it was great! The Mock Apple Pie back in the 70s was also very good! It amazed me that you could make crackers taste like apples. LOL! Actually, it's the spices you use that do the trick. (09/18/2007)

By Shelly

Mock Potato Salad made from Cauliflower
Mock Potato Salad Recipe
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chip Recipes
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
Hot Potato Salad
Hot Potato Salad Recipes
🎉
🎄