Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Does anyone know of a good mosquito repellent? I like homemade ones, I have tried all kinds and used citronella candles. I have put Skin So Soft on my skin, but those darn mosquitoes always seem to seek me out. I love sitting on the back deck with my friends and it seems not many of them get bit, just me. It is so aggravating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Virginia Pride from Evington, VA

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I don't know if this will help, but I made my own repellent.
I read that insects don't like the smell of lime, so I bought some limes, grated the outer skin on the fine grater, put in jar, poured in 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol and let soak for few days, and put in salad oil and shook, strained and just shook it each time before I used it.

If I were doing it again, I would peel off strips of rind, put with alcohol and oil in blender and puree it if I could before I strained it into a jar. Keep in fridge or not.
The idea was I was trying to extract the lime oil.

It's a starting place. (05/14/2009)

By PIKKA

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

When we eat outside I find a fan on low speed works great at keeping the bugs at bay and cooling us at the same time. (05/20/2009)

By dduff

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Any mosquito with any gumption at all laughs at home remedies. Up here is Saskatchewan the only repellent that works is one with a high concentration of Deet, such as Deep Woods Off. The other things that work well are the Off Lantern or the Thermocell unit that has a butane heater. These both use little pads that release a repellent into the air when heated, and this keeps the mosquitoes away. The Lantern is good for patios; the Thermocell unit can be used in the bush or around a campfire at a beach, for instance. (05/21/2009)

By louel53

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Just finished reading all the current posts for mosquito repellents. I too, get bitten up by mosquitoes. The only thing that has ever worked for me is taking a tablet of Super B Complex (brand doesn't matter) every day while mosquitoes are in season. It emits a smell from your skin that mosquitoes do not like and they don't bite. It always works for me, but I have a relative who tried this and it didn't work for her. All I can say is: give it a try to see if it does work for you. I've been doing this for years and I don't get bitten. (05/24/2009)

By 1burrell

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

A nurse told my daughter to put baby oil on. They stick to you, but can't bite. She tried it while working in the yard. It worked for her. (05/25/2009)

By cats21dog

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I'm gonna try a mixture of a few things. I tried mixing Listerine, vanilla, and ground cayenne pepper in a spray bottle to see how it works. Not for my skin, but for the surrounding area. Also, if you're having and outdoor barbecue or whatever, try placing a few blocks of dry ice in the corners of your yard or someplace away from the main gathering area. This works very well, as mosquitoes are wildly attracted to carbon dioxide (that's how they find us). If you have kids or pets, try suspending it from trees/poles to avoid unwanted burns. Hope this helps. (07/09/2009)

By Jmhouston78

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I love to sit on my porch during evening hours also. Mosquitoes love me and my daughter to the point it looks like we have the plague. Here is what I have found that works.

Equal parts of original Listerine and water in a spray bottle. Apply to your entire body. This is not waterproof. But you smell like a fresh mouth without the Deet, and if you get it in your mouth good for you. Just keep it out of your eyes. (08/03/2009)

By Mary R.

Mosquito on someone's hand.
Mosquito Repellent Recipes
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Apple cider vinegar, lemongrass, lemons for natural mosquito repellant
Natural Mosquito Repellent Recipes
Close-up of mosquito on human skin
Sulfur Mosquito Repellent
🎉
🎄