ExerciseFitness

Motivating Your Walks

I find that I am more motivated to walk for exercise when I have something to look at! So I like to window shop up and down shopping areas. This is also true of casual sightseeing.

I also read in the L.A. Times recently about a retiree who walks along looking for change left on the street! He has collected hundreds of dollars over the years. I suppose using a metal detector for exercise outdoors is a similar idea. I always pick up pennies, myself!

Source: me and L.A. Times

By Pam from Los Angeles, CA

Picking up litter motivates me to walk. This morning the temperature was 60 degrees. A great day to get outside and exercise.

I took my usual weekly walk down the road and finished picking up the litter. I'm never surprised at what I find. Today I found a nice Winchester hunting knife. I imagine it fell off a hunters truck where he had laid it down and forgot it.

Picking up litter does not sound glamorous but it is much easier for me to pick it up than it is to look at it. It's good exercise that produces quick results.

I had much rather do my walking outside but when it is cold and windy outside, I walk the treadmill. To keep me motivated in doing this, I have an old TV in good view from the treadmill and a VCR hooked up to it. I watch some of my favorite movies that I recorded off TV several years ago. I watch half of the movie one night and then the next night my treadmill is calling me to watch the rest of the movie. Watching the movie gets my mind completely off walking the treadmill and the time flies by.