Motivating Yourself to Clean

It can be difficult to get yourself motivated when it comes to cleaning. However, the longer you wait the bigger the job can become, making it even harder to get started. This is a guide about motivating yourself to clean.

Music is a wonderful aid to motivate me to do household chores. When I'm just "not in the mood" for cleaning, dishes, laundry, etc. I pick the JUST RIGHT tune to get me going. It works for me and I have suggested it to my friends also. I have "doing dishes" music; "vacuuming" music; "cooking and dishes" music; and so forth and so on.

By rythumrat from St. Louis, MO

My room is a massive headache, when I feel like cleaning it I can't seem to start. Maybe because I'm 24 and live with my parents. How can I clean up when I don't feel like this is my place any more?

By Janetta from Moore, OK

Answers

Just Do It! as the saying goes. Start with something small like the top of the dresser or desk. Put things away and clean it. Then do the end tables. Don't pile up your clothes on a chair every day, put things away so a mess doesn't accumulate. You are an adult so please act like one. You parents would appreciate your taking care of your room without nagging you to clean it. There comes a time when adult children should be living on their own. Maybe it's time for you.

I'm not trying to be be mean, but I had an adult child living at home and things can get uncomfortable. We got on each other's nerves. It was much better when he eventually moved out. Good luck to you.

I agree with OliveOyl: JUST DO IT! Do you think we (or your mother) WANT to do it either? Even if it's not "yours" it's where YOU live so it should matter.

Ok, lecture over. Start with one area or place or thing. Clean off the dresser and dust it. OR pick up all the clothes that are not in the proper place. OR mentally divide the room into sections and do one section at a time. OR set aside 10 minutes every single day to work on it.

Once you have it all done just pick up after yourself as you live to keep it done. I don't really enjoy making my bed every or hanging up my clothes or cleaning the sink but if I do it as it happens it doesn't get overwhelming.

Also along OliveOyl's line, maybe it's time to get your own space. My son moved back for awhile and he felt since it wasn't HIS house he was a guest and MOTHER was to do all the cleaning. He's gone now.

You are an adult now. Being adult is all about doing things even when you don't FEEL like it. And, you should show your respect and appreciation to your parents for ALLOWING you to live there by keeping your room tidy. Adopting the attitude of "serving" others, including your parents, is very important in life. It feels good to go out of your way to make someone else happy give it a try. My parents raised me to "always leave things better than you found them." It's a wonderful philosophy to practice everyday. Hope you get your act together. Good luck.

Join FLY LADY.

Anonymous

Since your parents let you to live in that room then it's "your" room! Why is that any different than "your" apartment or "your" own home? I promise I am not being rude or meaning to be hurtful, but you're not a child or teenager anymore. Be thankful you have at least a roof over your head when there are so many in our current economic situation who don't even have a room to live in and many of them are homeless with little children!

I am disabled now so some days it seems really overwhelming because it's even difficult to have energy because it's hard to breathe let alone try to keep up on everything, but I do it and my apartment is spotless. (Even before I was disabled I worked for over three decades and often 60 to 80 hours a week and my home was still spotless). Here's what I always did and still do:

I keep things picked up after myself as I go along and every single thing has it's assigned spot so all I have to do is put it back there right after use. I keep a schedule of dusting once a week (have to wear a doctors mask when doing that now) and do my laundry once a week and put it away immediately. Dishes are done every day as well as wiping down kitchen and bathroom counter tops. I keep my paperwork and computer desk organized as I go even if that sometimes means little organized piles of paperwork that need to be gone through. I am not able to vacuum myself anymore, but am blessed to have a volunteer come in to do it, but I make certain that everything else is done before she arrives and then I am good to go for another week.

I could go on and on about how I organize and clean, but hopefully enough has been said to give you some ideas and a renewed no more 'woe is me' attitude :-) You are young and in good health and not living on the street so count your blessings and changing your attitude and habits is all you really need to do :-) Oh, and if you help with chores with the rest of the home it will most likely help you feel more like it's your 'home' ;-)

Ditto what the others said and one hint. Start with the fartherest corner from the door and work toward the door. Have a large waste basket with you. When you get to the door push it out and throw it away. Anything you want will already be put away. If you are depressed do something about that too. When you are finished get a pot and plant some flowers.

Maybe rearranging the furniture would motivate you or replacing some things, even painting the walls. There are some wonderful organizing magazines online they have great ideas that can motivate a person to get things cleaned up and keep them that way. If you don't organize now you never will, it only gets harder. Good luck:)

I like the idea mentioned about starting in a back corner and working your way to the door. Another thing that works best for me is putting things in their place daily instead of waiting until it becomes overwhelming. When done with something, put it away wherever you have made a place for it. Even if you think you will want it again later, put it away until then. As you take one thing out, put something already out away(closet, laundry, shelf) I also found it helps to keep your bed made, makes everything look neater. Try and see your room as a bachelor apartment, maybe if you paid some sort of rent to your folks you might feel as if your room was your own. Not saying it has to be huge amount. Ask them to put it away/keep it for you if they won't accept it as rent. When you are ready to move out or on in life, then you will have some money to use to do it.