My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

My Chihuahua is three years old and has suddenly stopped eating dog food. She'll eat "some" people food. What to do? If she doesn't eat her blood sugar drops, etc. We've tried everything and we want her back on dog food.

By legalgal from Tomball, TX

Answers:

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

Try mixing some boiled chicken (no salt) in with your dog's regular food. Or use the broth from the boiled chicken and stir a bit of that in with the dog food. Or scramble an egg (no seasonings) and mix that in with the dog food. Those foods are loved by my dog and I don't feel badly about giving them to her because they are healthy for her. (09/15/2009)

By brenda23

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

Try heating a little in the microwave. Sounds funny but sometimes they will eat food that is warm better than warm temp. (09/15/2009)

By notwrong

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

What I do with our 15 year old who doesn't like dog food is buy Duck Breasts at Costco or the Pet Food place and cut tiny little pieces with my kitchen shears into the dog food and mix it up-she gobbles it down-theyre great for treats too!

Also she really likes the Royal Canin Mini Puppy food-yes, it's a little high in protein but for small dogs it's tiny and all our 3 love the taste-I hardly have to put any duck breast in it now! Deb (09/15/2009)

By debcatholic

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

My Jack Russel stopped eating dog food and I was concerned. She would eat soft food but nothing hard. Took her to the vet and discovered she had a bad tooth. After the tooth was pulled she went back to eating her regular dog food. Maybe you should have the vet look at your dog's teeth. (09/16/2009)

By granniek

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

Two steps: #1 Most Important -Take her to the vet to make sure there's not a medical or dental reason, why she's stopped eating.

#2 - Just as Important - Be more stubborn than she is! If there is no medical or dental reason, then offer her her regular dog food, but refuse--no matter how much she begs or how pitiful she looks - to give her people food. Remind yourself and her that she has her own food available and if she's that hungry she can eat it.
I have a similar problem with my dogs wanting to make meals out of doggy treats and ignoring their food. But I don't give them any treats till their bowls are empty. Now I just have to tell them, "Nope, eat your food!" and they know what I mean! (09/18/2009)

By Cricketnc

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

My neighbor has two chihuahuas. He only gives them people food. He says they love bacon. He says they don't eat that much and dog food has so many harmful chemical that cause cancer. (09/18/2009)

By Julius T. O.

My Dog Won't Eat Dog Food

My boyfriend has a cross-bred dog, she is about 8 months old. She refuses to eat any dog food, not dried food, not canned food, not food with doggy gravy, nothing. We've tried the leave her until she eats approach, but after 3 days she still refused to eat anything. What can we do, especially when money is rather tight? (01/04/2011)

By trivialties

Dog Won't Eat
Dog Won't Eat
sad dog
Dog Not Eating After Other Family Dog Died
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
Small dog looking sad next to a red bowl of dog food.
Dog Won't Eat After Being Spayed
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄