Browsing: Organizing Your Bedroom

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Organizing Your Bedroom

It can be challenging to keep your bedroom from collecting clutter. This guide is about organizing your bedroom.

Organizing Your Bedroom
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 30, 2008 Flag

Clothes hamper.Okay! So your room is: messy, unorganized, boring, too dark, dull, too kiddish, too mature, sad, been the same "forever", no room, doesn't fit you, ugly, smells bad, or just looks like a tornado crashed through your room. I have the answers.

It looks like a lot but not really. Just pick your category.

Organizing

Clothes end up on the floor? Many people clean and clean and clean their room, but it still looks too packed and dirty or things just magically end up on the floor and you just don't know how it got there.

Well for starters, get a laundry basket. This will be your best friend. Make sure it's pretty. Or if your closet is big enough and it doesn't bother you, your could get a simple plastic nice colored one load basket at the Dollar store. It's not expensive. But for those people whose closet is small or there's no room in it for a basket, then hampers are perfect. Of course they're about 5-10 dollars, but that isn't that bad, and it's worth it. Get one that fits in a corner and has colors that match your walls or decor.

Every time you change your clothes, put them into the basket/hamper. It's so simple. Before the basket gets too full or to the top, wash it. Well that's for clothes, basically keep them off the floor. Even doing just this makes your room look bigger.

Bed always a mess? Okay, when you don't make your bed, not only is it ugly, but it makes your room look nasty! So if you have a lot of pillows and you sleep by yourself in a small bed, you really only need 2 and maybe 1 throw pillow for looks. Keep pillows off the floor. When you wake up, make the bed. If you have no time then at least make sure that there are no blankets, pillows, or sheets on the floor.

Shoes? Keep them in your closet or under your bed. If you're in a hurry, then at least kick them into a corner or against your wall. That way no one trips on them. For shoe organizers, the worst problems, I personally think tennis shoes are awesome to wear (Converse, Vans, etc.), but look ugly sitting on the floor, or a shelf in the closet. Racks are hideous, but what to do with them?

Okay, one thing, keep the boxes to your shoes. When you're done wearing them, put them into the box and then under your bed. If they don't fit under your bed, put them on the floor or a shelf in your closet stacked with all the other shoe boxes that are there. Yes, it's ugly until you get a shelf that has a door. OK I have 15 pairs of shoes, including 7 pairs of Converse, 2 Vans, 1 pair of boots, 3 pairs of Etnies, and 2 pairs of DC's. (yes I skate)

What Do I Do? Many people don't have a long shelf in their closet, but I do. What I do is have each pair of my shoes in order in a row and to hide them, I have curtains! After I get the pair of shoes I want, then I pull the small curtain over them and close my closet. The curtain is purple and is thick, and my feet don't smell, but I keep a bottle of Febreze in my closet and spray my shoes and clothes, occasionally.

Everything else? Nothing should not be on the floor! "If you use something, put it back", that's what my parents say and I do it. Guess what? It actually works.

If Your Room Stinks:

If you're the type of person who likes to keep your door closed all the time, that's a problem because you don't get any air circulation. I can't change that for you, so something else you could do is keep your window open while your door is closed. If you're very private and have peeping toms, then get sheer curtains. That way, you can see out, but they can't see in. (I would consider getting a nice bright color for the sheers like yellow, or a lime green.) This also is a good way to save electricity because of light, and fans, and air conditioning.

If You Want To Make It Homey:

Painted walls! Stay away from those red, black, navy blue, dark green, maroony colors. I personally like black, but it is depressing for everything to be that color; my room is a light purple. Making your room a light color makes it seem bigger which is great. Not only that, but if you have a bright light happy color, you can use dark and bright stuff in your room, which makes it nice.

Try getting (if you have the money) a love seat for when people come over. A love seat is a small couch made for 2 people. It is small and homey. Furniture is nice to have in a room.

Okay, well as you can see, I have much to say when I grow up. I want to be a organizer and clean people's homes and I would love to help and give you advice. I have much more to tell you but so little time. If this didn't help you, don't give up on me. I didn't say everything. I went through the basics. I have more on each topic and more topics I'd like to say but no time.

I would love to help if you have any questions about this.

I have ways to save money where you can buy things, what you should buy, and I'm good for all types of people. I'm pretty much free all the time so I will help you.

And for those who don't know, that's a laundry basket, lol.

By Destiny

November 26, 2012 Flag

My husband is a firm believer in piling and stacking. This is something he utilizes in every aspect of our lives including the bedroom. There are 3 sets of clothing that he uses daily (2 jobs and casual) so it is important that we keep them separate.

July 13, 2010 Flag

I share a bedroom with my two boys, ages 3 and 1. We have very little space to move around. I have my youngest son in the crib. My other son and I sleep in bunk beds. Our walls are blue and black and the room has a big closet. Is there a way to lighten up the room and create a little more space?

By Wanaya from Baltimore, MD

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A nice pale blue is both energizing and light enough to keep the dark from becoming gloomy. I like the idea of lacy type curtains with something a little heavier at the sides which can give you privacy at night. I have covered cardboard boxes in matching Contact Paper to make them all look "related" to keep both clothing and linens, towels, toys, and bathroom necessities out of sight and nicely organized.

I believe the general consensus among us all is that you are with your two little sons, and there's nothing in the world that can take the place of that. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and are making a good thing out of a situation that could be less than happy for some people. God Bless you and the boys. Cherish every day you have with them as I'm sure you do. They grow up so soon, and will remember these days as some of the best. Love is the most treasured thing in the world, and it's all free.

Pookarina

I use to have my girls bunk in with me as well. I am thinking you need the crib. I use to store my baby clothes in a tote under the crib. Made easier to find her clothes and kept clean and I could still use the crib. Use as much of the closet as you can for all extra's. I like the pale blue suggestion and the God bless you for taking care of your family and making memories.

Hugs,

Glenda

I also share a room with my son, there is no other option. We have bunk beds like you, plus one big closet on one wall, also like you. under the bed, I have storage boxes on wheels and shelves everywhere! I've painted the room pale blue with yellow and pale blue quilts and curtains plus a pale blue rug. With bunk beds, we each have a small amount of privacy and both of us have small neon lamps screwed to the headboards for reading, etc without bothering the other. Tall bookcases against the walls also hold a huge amount of clothes and other stuff and don't take up much floor space. we are so used to it now, that it's no longer a big deal, long as you keep the room as tidy as possible, it will look fine.

Paint and then maybe separate the bunks and form a "wall" out of bookshelves, with the backs facing each other, for storage and a little privacy. If privacy is not what you are going for. Paint, and in the closet put your stuff up high and the kids stuff lower. Enjoy this time, someday you will look upon it fondly. : )

April 23, 2005 Flag

A bedside pouch, easily made from a towel or yard of fabric, that fits between mattress and box spring helps keep clutter off night stands.

April 3, 2008 Flag

I really need advice on how to clean my room. I spend almost every weekend cleaning it but I am just not organized enough to keep it clean. If any one has any tips please help.

Danielle from Kent, WA

I can study in my room. I love to make my room better. I am only 12 years from Australian.

We all know its not fun or easy,but to live a healthy lifestyle,your room should be at least some clean. Did you know kids on average with a cleaner room do better in school and get good grades? Anys ways back on how to clean your room. If you get laundery always put it right away! And if you play a game clean up right after you're done. This way you won't have to clean a HUGE mess in your room later when you are tired and want to sleep. Hope this helps

Love

Sophie

Thank u kayrn, the tip about the running shoes in the house was really helpful to me becausse it seemed to increase my eneergy level alot. Now can u help me get my clothes put away. I have only one little dresser for my little girl , two shelves no closet ? ps I am on what I like to call the cash free biudget. HELP PLEASE

tks again jessica

Danielle, repetition. Spend the time to see how you use your stuff then design storage based on your usage pattern. Start putting items back where they came from every time.

January 15, 2009 Flag

If you live in a small home and need more space to store your crafts, yarn, and scrapbook supplies, think of buying an Under Bedskirt Shoe Organizer.

January 28, 2005 Flag

I really need help to organize my room. I keep cleaning it, but it just gets messy again, no matter what. I try to store things but they just make it back out on the floor again.

Thank you,
Alicia, Oregon, 14

Thank you, Alicia. These tips inspired me to clean my room!

Everyone, help me. I am having a huge birthday party TODAY and my room is a disaster. I need to keep it clean also. Any help?

Ummm any ideas I need help too

Assign everything a place... use items with a space for labels. Labeling space also helps others to know where you want your things and helps to avoid frustration and saves time. Also, when you have designated spaces and put things away then they may last longer than being on the floor and stepped on or broken.

The best part of having a clean room is you won't hesitate to have people over for fun more often. Enjoy!

Load More
Organizing BedroomJuly 20, 2012
Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Guest Room
Decorating a Guest Room
Small Organized Bedroom
Organizing a Small Bedroom
Nicely decorated bedroom.
Decorating a Bedroom
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 20, 2016 at 8:06:20 AM on 10.0.1.89 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.