Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Organizing a Small Bedroom

Organizing a small bedroom can be a challenge, due to the lack of sufficient storage space and other concerns. This is a guide about organizing a small bedroom.

Shauna Smith Duty3 found this helpful
August 19, 2005 Flag

Need to tuck your television or computer into a nook so that you have more floor space in a bedroom? This simple closet conversion is inexpensive, functional, and just plain cute. Often the things tucked away in spare room closets can be discarded or stored elsewhere. That extra closet is wasted space.

What you'll need:

Directions

Remove and store the closet doors. You may need them if you ever plan to sell your home, or if you convert the space back into a closet. Just store them in the attic, out of the way, with the hardware attached in a plastic baggie.

Measure the shelves or desk you want to use in the space to make sure it will fit without sticking out past the interior closet wall. This conversion looks best if the furniture in the closet fits properly. The shelves in the photo were created by cutting down an old shelving unit. The two doors beneath the television are a pre-existing VCR cabinet slid onto the shelves. Painting the whole unit solid white to match the trim of the closet makes it look custom built to fit the space. Electronics wires can be hidden behind the unit and fed through a hole cut in the shelf, behind the television.

In the photographed entertainment area, lace sheers were hung on a shower curtain rod and pulled back with tiebacks. To conceal the area, use drapes, bamboo shades, or tab curtains and pull them closed.

This project works for not only entertainment centers, but also for bookshelves, computer desks, or a child's dress up area.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think its a great idea. You do with what you have. That's the name of frugality. Looks nice.

August 8, 2007 Flag

Bed for Small Bedroom

Bed for Small Bedroom

I have a small bedroom and want to not load it up with furniture. I bought a new bed and decided to get one with the built in drawers to save space in that room. This way a dresser is not taking up any space.

By Linda from Bellevue, NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When my son was younger, his bedroom wasn't too big, so we got him bunk beds (he liked having friends sleep over), with a trundle frame underneath. We put plywood in, to make a full bottom on the trundle. I used the back of it for storage of extra blankets, quilts, and afghans. The front was a large toy box. His room was always nice and neat, since everything had a place.

February 28, 2005 Flag

Old dresser drawers under the bed make great storage, you can even put casters on the bottom if you like.

By imaqt1962

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cool Idea, Thanks for sharing. I'm going to do the same thing this weekend with a dresser that has 2 broken drawers, and it really has no good use anymore.

Storing items under your bed doesn't require those expensive boxes for storage. Use the large garbage bags, use your vacuum cleaner to suck out the air.

August 24, 2015 Flag

I'm 19. I have a small room with no closet. My boyfriend does stay with me, but we need more storage space. All I have is a full size bed, a night stand with 1 drawer, a tall 3 drawer dresser which has all my clothes in it, a mini fridge for drinks and snacks, and a high shelf that we keep our collectable items on. We need more clothing space for both of us and more shelving space for hygiene, jewelry, pens, notebooks, etc. Any ideas please?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thrift stores, garage sales, Craig's List, etc., have great furniture-cabinets, shelves and other storage ideas for very little. Shelves are what you probably need most. Also, there are fabric closets you can buy that simply set up in your room for hanging and folded clothes. Try IKEA, Walmart, Target, etc.

I've seen some folks use cinder blocks between boards to make floor to ceiling walls of space and use those plastic boxes to place stuff inside to sit on those shelves (and under the bed).

If there is any way to hang shelves from the ceiling (rope on both ends through the boards) OR even to HANG clothes on hangers (similar to a swing idea with a rod horizontally at the bottom and holes for rope to go through the rod at both ends..like a trapeze design) you can add some space.

Good Luck!

July 23, 2011 Flag

I am looking for ideas, suggestions, testimonies of DIY bedroom makeover for a boy, age 12. The room is on the small size. He is sleeping on a full size futon, but that is really taking up too much room. Storage/shelves are really needed, it is a very unorganized room. I also need to make it exciting and clever. My budget is small. I won't have a problem figuring out curtains, bed covers, etc. I just need some practical ideas on how to make a small room more functional.

By Arlinn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I bought some shelving units at Costco a few years ago that were snap together. They were square pieces of grate -- like the side of a milk crate-- and assembled into cubes. They could be put together in a variety of formats, making square cubicles for storage and display. My son has used these for years, rearranging his room in a variety of ways -- using the shelves for toy storage or display. Now that he is 22 and in his own house, he is using the same shelving units for clothing storage. Best $30 I ever spent. I bought 3 of the sets.

One of my other sons removed his folding doors from his closet and painted the whole room, interior of the closet and the ceiling all the same color. Opening up the closet made the room a lot bigger, and he said he would keep the shelves and hangers neat if they were out in the open (he did!). Because it was a big closet, at one time, he put a desk inside with his TV and gaming stuff on it.

My sons liked a blank slate in their rooms -- just paint the walls and nice curtains. They chose their own quilt, sheets and pillow cases -- not necessarily matching. And then put up posters and such on the walls. My younger son used a row of CDs as a border along the top of his wall. Looked pretty great. He fastened them to the wall with that blue office sticky tac. Get your son involved in the decorating, and design the room to his tastes.

Some really great ideas here! Thank you all. There are some I especially like, and others have given me good food for thought on the topic.

December 15, 2010 Flag

I am 15 and am a freshman. I am a straight A student, a cheerleader, a runner, a softball player and I love technology. I cannot seem to keep my room clean, neat, cute, organized and smelling nice! I need help! I have white walls and painting is not possible right now, but definitely in the future. My theme is purple but I have a lot of different colors too.

I have a twin bed, with some space underneath. I have a huge built-in bookshelf, a night stand, a vanity with a mirror, a long dresser with a mirror, a tall dresser, and a closet with a sliding door. The closet is not very big at all, but does have some drawers. My room is very small

! I have a lot of books, a lot of clothes, and a lot of shoes. I need a homework space, a beauty space, and a space for a lot of trinkets. I already went through everything and got rid of a lot of stuff! Help me please. :)

By Ali from AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A good way to get yourself organized is:

Before you start you will need 3 boxes or bags and a bunch of no-slip hangers (they have to all match! You can find it in the Discount store or Dollar stores) A couple of small bins (you can also find this at the Dollar store)

1) Take everything you own and throw it on the bed

2) Get three boxes or bags, 1 for garbage, 1 for donate and 1 for keep

3) Go through everything and decide which bag it goes into...the rule is if you haven't worn or used it in a year, get rid of it.

4) Throw the "garbage" bag out, drive with Mom and give away the "donate" bag. Take the "keep" bag and bring it to the hallway along with anything else that sits on the floor, vacuum your floor very well, corners, under bed, move furniture if you have to.

5) Start bringing in your stuff, hang all of your clothes neatly and loose stuff like scrunchies, pins, socks, use the bins

6) Lay back in your bed and enjoy your organized, clean bedroom

7) keep it that way!

Enjoy!

Hi and great job on your studies. I would say decorate the same ways as college students do. Frugal and smart. Since you can't paint you can add color using art or your items. You can use command hook-they don't damage the walls. You can use storage containers to store things under the bed. Get some cute containers at the dollar store or Target, Wal-mart. You want neat and organized. Group things like makeup in a container that maybe has drawers. These are inexpensive.

Use over the door shoe bags and you can even use them on the walls. Put items in the pockets. So long as its neat. everything in its place. Get some potpourri or use febreeze type air fresheners. A big part of the unfresh scent is just dust and needing to organize. Good luck and hope this helps.

July 16, 2014 Flag

I had to move out of my apartment due to it being on the second floor. I have a knee injury so I couldn't climb those stairs anymore. My sis-in-law was so kind as to let us in her home.

One problem. The room is really small. We left most of our things in storage, but the things we do have, oh my, it is just that the room looks cluttered. I make cakes as a hobby and I also sew. So I have my craft stuff in our room. Food that doesn't go bad, like bread, cereal, etc. we keep in the room now. We use to leave it out in the kitchen, but our food would be gone before week's end and me without a job made it hard to buy food at a moments notice.

We also have a 6 drawer dresser and two ottomans, we have junk inside there as well. Our closet is a mess and one of the ottomans is blocking the other side of the closet. I tried organizing the room on my own, but it backfired. I just feel like there is more of a mess. There is no way I am able to stick nails into the walls, so we can hang stuff on the walls. We keep doors closed at all times for privacy. I am at my wits end. I don't know how else to keep this room organized and free of clutter. Help! I went from a full apt to a small tiny bedroom for two people :-(

By Nataly from Whittier, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get at least two covered rubbermaid-type boxes. Put as much cake decorating stuff as you can in one and sewing stuff in the other. These boxes can be stacked on top of each other. Buy some under-bed type storage boxes and use them - perhaps the bed could be put on risers to give additional space under the bed.

Talk to your sister-in-law and/or show her your room. Ask her if she has any advice for organizing or if she might be able to help organize. She might be able to offer you a little more of a storage space, like in an unused cabinet or in the basement, where your husband could retrieve things as you need them.

I lived small for years...expert! put a small shelf about a 14 inches from the ceiling all the way around the room. store less used items high. you can cover with garden trellis if you want to velco it up so you can pull of sections. make sure you get folding stools, laundry hampers and laundry baskets. also get a bed that lifts up so you can store under it. or if you don't mind climbing a little higher you can put several dressers under and store a ton of clothing....worked great for college. you can also make a tall shelf behind your bed and have a open compartment tho drive your bike in!! no one would ever suspect it's there.....I also used hanging kitchen baskets for my hair stuff and toiletries. hope the tips help.

August 5, 2014 Flag

How can I organize my very small bedroom in a rental when I have no closet and a limited income? I have a twin bed, chest of drawers, 2 night tables, a plastic unit w/3 drawers for my underwear, a folding table for my TV, computer (can't afford internet access), sewing machine, and a lot of craft stuff.

By Robin from Norfolk, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi! I was in a similar situation several years ago. I had limited, irregularly shaped space, and bulky furniture. I wasn't sure how to fit everything, be able to move around, AND have all drawer/doors accessible.

I solved this by measuring the entire room--doors & windows included--and mapping the room out (scaled down) on a large piece of drafting paper. I then measured all furniture, adding 1/4" all around. Using the same scaled size, I drew 2 sets of the furniture pieces; one set as a "top down" (LxW) view, the other frontal (HxL) view. I then cut out each piece of "furniture" and placed them around the drawing of the room, using both views. (Yes, I know there are computer programs that do this, but those are very hard to come by when you don't even have a quarter to pay attention!)

My friend thought I was crazy when they saw all the furniture sitting outside my room. He said I was crazy if I thought I was going to be able to fit all that in...boy did he feel silly as he was rubbing my poor, tired feet, after cooking me dinner that night! It all fit beautifully, with ample room to move! The toughest part, though, was getting everything IN the room to move it around! I guess all that geometry actually comes in handy after all! :)

As for general organization goes, if you can find cardboard box lids that are close to the size of your drawers, use those to "layer" item. This helps so much for convenient accessibility! You can also cut extra notches in them, and add a divider made from the side of a box. I covered the cardboard with some cheap, but pretty, fabric. (I used an old bridesmaid dress. I just knew I was going to actually use that dress again someday! LOL!

Going VERTICLE is another great solution, if you are able to put nails/screws in the wall. I used some Pergo floor planks & "L" brackets to make staggered floating shelves. Putting cup hooks on the underside added even more space! (Just be absolutely certain you are actually IN a wall stud BEFORE putting anything even remotely heavy onto the shelf!!! I almost lost a toe when one of them came down on it!!! LOL!)

Good luck! ~Adrienne

If you shop garage sales look for a hanging shoe rack. It's all fabric with about a dozen pockets. Great for holding things besides shoes and it hangs off the back of a door.

March 16, 2010 Flag

My room is 12' by 10'. My wall does a dreadful slant, leaving me not being able to stand in more than half the room nor put furniture in.

I don't know how to move furniture or organize my clothes, store my stuffed animals other than leaving them on display, store doll stuff, or what to put in my empty drawers. I sure have plenty of stuff.

My room is also very dark. It has a window, but it's not on the side of the house with sunshine. I'm looking out on the back yard.

I think I posted this once before, but it didn't get through. Thank you for any feedback.

By Lena from Portland, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Definitely use mirrors. Places like Wal-mart or home finishing stores sell square or octagonal ones that are meant to be used under plates at tables during the holidays. Place one under your lamps and/or behind the lamps to reflect light out into the room. Since the walls are slanted, making hanging large objects hard to hang, you can have mirror cut to fit picture frames.

You can hang these in patterns to mimic windows (and reflect light). Definitely place your bed under the slope, since you lie down in it anyway, reserving the taller ceiling for things you need to do standing, like getting dressed. We have the lower slopes closed off into closets and storage. Even though they're not too tall, they are just the right height for hanging tops, jackets, pants over hangers, etc.

If you're short on money, you can enclose the areas with rods mounted to the walls and just gather fabric to cover them. It will look like the bottom of the walls are covered with shirred fabric and no one will know it's storage. The bookcases are a great idea, not to mention relatively cheap.

If you push a few them up to the wall, it will look like built-in storage, and you can place seldom used things behind them, like out-of-season clothing. Look for short dressers at garage sales. Paint them white once you get them home to place under the slopes.

The white paint will make them seem to disappear and make the room look bigger. And stick with light wall colors to make the room appear larger; gloss or semi-gloss to reflect more light.

There are some great decorating ideas here already. Mine is a little unconventional, but practical. I suggest tucking the foot of your bed under the short side of the room, with your headboard on the roomy side. This would provide as much walking space as possible. Feet don't need height when you lie in bed! Back your headboard with a bench, vanity or narrow desk to hold what would normally be on a nightstand. During the day, you could sit at this table comfortably, too!

May 27, 2009 Flag

I am looking for ideas to decorate a small master bedroom.

By hjasso05 from Fontana, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Curtains or drapes will immediately make the room appear decorated. When I lived in a dormitory during graduate school, everyone always admired my room. The difference was that I raised the miniblinds to the top of the window and hung drapes on a traverse rod. I also put a room sized rug on the floor and hung pictures on the walls. None of these took up valuable floor space in the small room, A bedspread that coordinated with the drapes was the final touch. My dorm room was more like home than any others on the hall.

All of these ideas are great. But if you're trying to decorate a small space you will probably want the area to seem larger so it feels less claustrophobic. I hear you can do this by placing mirrors on the walls, so in addition to whatever pictures you decide to put up I would also incorporate a mirror on at least one of the walls.

May 23, 2010 Flag

I will be moving in to a home with a small master bedroom and have been trying to figure out a way to make the most of my small space. I don't remember what the measurements of the room are, but the previous owners had a queen size bed, a large dresser and a somewhat narrow armoire in the room. With these three pieces of furniture alone, the space looked extremely cluttered. The only source of natural light comes from the sliding doors that lead out to a small deck. If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

By Lori from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use light colored paint on the walls, limiting a darker color for the wall the bed is on. Use a large mirror to reflect the light from the doors around the room. I would stay away from any tall furnishings, this will make the room look more cluttered. Use floating side tables for a more spatial feeling. Find storage containers to slide under the bed, you can buy stilts for the bed to raise it more also.

Lastly: simplify your wardrobe so you do not store items that you will not be wearing again. And use whites on the bed, pillows and sheets with a colored comforter rolled to the foot. Good luck:)

Be minimalistic. What can you really do without? Re-locate bulky things such as full length coats, or out of season clothing, or change of bedding to either one of those vacuum the air out of them bags or to another room/closet. Also, be brutal. Donate to those who are less fortunate. Another thing, think vertical. So many people only look at waist to eye level and at what can fit under a bed. Baskets, bins, and even tall furniture that is more slender will help keep your room from looking too cluttered. Also, although queen size beds are nice and roomy, a double can do just as well. Or have a futon, or another converter type furniture. Murphy beds and trundle beds (my Grams had a trundle bed that looked like a single, but the other mattress came sliding out, and hooked to the first bed, making a double bed. It took both single and double size sheets (depening on the obvious). It could also go into two single beds.

I am sure there are websites and magazines for small spaces. HGTV used to have a show dedicated to it. I am not sure what the name of it was, but I did catch parts of it from time to time.

I agree with previous posters. Light, streamlined, and mirrors.

Good luck.

Peace

KLS

June 21, 2013 Flag

I'm 18 and my sister and I share a bedroom (still!). The problem is between the two of us we have way too much stuff to fit in a room the size of ours. Even between the two of us we can't seem to come up with a solution that's both organized and cute. The solutions I've seen are great, but there isn't enough room for bins and boxes. Any suggestions?

By AC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is what my daughter did one time. She hung a couple cute tot bags on hooks hung on the wall. She filled them with things because she didn't have enough space in her dresser drawers. But you could store most anything in them. I have a couple hanging in my closet on hooks right now. Also put things under you beds in those under bed storage things or even boxes. If the bed isn't high enough buy some of those $10 risers to raise the bed.

Extra things like blankets and out of season things can be stored between your mattress and box springs. Get a shoe organizer and put on the back of your closet door. Doesn't have to be just for shoes. I have one hanging in my garage right now that holds some tools, oil for my car, lawnmower oil, you get the picture.

Think vertical space. Use your walls, hang shelves, baskets, anything you can find that would store some belongings. Another great idea is to hang an over the door shoe holder over your door. Those pockets can hold an array of personal items.

I live in a room very small; any organization ideas? I don't have much clothes and not much "junk" per say. Oh and I'm fourteen so keep it limited! Thanks for the help!

How do you build a built-in, full size bed for an adult?

Load More
Organizing BedroomApril 3, 2013
Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Guest Room
Decorating a Guest Room
beautiful green tone bedroom
Inexpensive Bedroom Makeovers
Organizing Your Bedroom
Organizing Your Bedroom
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 5:18:22 AM on 10.0.2.70 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.