Browsing: Organizing a Small Bedroom

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Organizing a Small Bedroom

Organizing a small bedroom can be a challenge, due to the lack of sufficient storage space and other concerns. This is a guide about organizing a small bedroom.

Small Organized Bedroom
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 24, 2015 Flag

I'm 19. I have a small room with no closet. My boyfriend does stay with me, but we need more storage space. All I have is a full size bed, a night stand with 1 drawer, a tall 3 drawer dresser which has all my clothes in it, a mini fridge for drinks and snacks, and a high shelf that we keep our collectable items on. We need more clothing space for both of us and more shelving space for hygiene, jewelry, pens, notebooks, etc. Any ideas please?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've seen some folks use cinder blocks between boards to make floor to ceiling walls of space and use those plastic boxes to place stuff inside to sit on those shelves (and under the bed).

If there is any way to hang shelves from the ceiling (rope on both ends through the boards) OR even to HANG clothes on hangers (similar to a swing idea with a rod horizontally at the bottom and holes for rope to go through the rod at both ends..like a trapeze design) you can add some space.

Good Luck!

All good ideas. Also, can you buy or build a bed that is raised? You might find plans easy enough here. Good luck!!

https://www.google.com/webhp?source ... F-8#q=building+a+raised+sleeping+bed

Read More Answers...

August 19, 2005 Flag
Shauna Smith Duty3 found this helpful

Closet ConversionNeed to tuck your television or computer into a nook so that you have more floor space in a bedroom? This simple closet conversion is inexpensive, functional, and just plain cute. Often the things tucked away in spare room closets can be discarded or stored elsewhere. That extra closet is wasted space.

What you'll need:

Directions

Remove and store the closet doors. You may need them if you ever plan to sell your home, or if you convert the space back into a closet. Just store them in the attic, out of the way, with the hardware attached in a plastic baggie.

Measure the shelves or desk you want to use in the space to make sure it will fit without sticking out past the interior closet wall. This conversion looks best if the furniture in the closet fits properly. The shelves in the photo were created by cutting down an old shelving unit. The two doors beneath the television are a pre-existing VCR cabinet slid onto the shelves. Painting the whole unit solid white to match the trim of the closet makes it look custom built to fit the space. Electronics wires can be hidden behind the unit and fed through a hole cut in the shelf, behind the television.

In the photographed entertainment area, lace sheers were hung on a shower curtain rod and pulled back with tiebacks. To conceal the area, use drapes, bamboo shades, or tab curtains and pull them closed.

This project works for not only entertainment centers, but also for bookshelves, computer desks, or a child's dress up area.

July 16, 2014 Flag

dresser surrounded by clutterI had to move out of my apartment due to it being on the second floor. I have a knee injury so I couldn't climb those stairs anymore. My sis-in-law was so kind as to let us in her home.

One problem. The room is really small. We left most of our things in storage, but the things we do have, oh my, it is just that the room looks cluttered. I make cakes as a hobby and I also sew. So I have my craft stuff in our room. Food that doesn't go bad, like bread, cereal, etc. we keep in the room now. We use to leave it out in the kitchen, but our food would be gone before week's end and me without a job made it hard to buy food at a moments notice.

We also have a 6 drawer dresser and two ottomans, we have junk inside there as well. Our closet is a mess and one of the ottomans is blocking the other side of the closet. I tried organizing the room on my own, but it backfired. I just feel like there is more of a mess. There is no way I am able to stick nails into the walls, so we can hang stuff on the walls. We keep doors closed at all times for privacy. I am at my wits end. I don't know how else to keep this room organized and free of clutter. Help! I went from a full apt to a small tiny bedroom for two people :-( wall shelves filled with clutter

By Nataly from Whittier, CA

I lived small for years...expert! put a small shelf about a 14 inches from the ceiling all the way around the room. store less used items high. you can cover with garden trellis if you want to velco it up so you can pull of sections. make sure you get folding stools, laundry hampers and laundry baskets. also get a bed that lifts up so you can store under it. or if you don't mind climbing a little higher you can put several dressers under and store a ton of clothing....worked great for college. you can also make a tall shelf behind your bed and have a open compartment tho drive your bike in!! no one would ever suspect it's there.....I also used hanging kitchen baskets for my hair stuff and toiletries. hope the tips help.

Food in your room is bad! Please stop doing that. You are inviting mice and bugs. If you must have it there to keep others from eating it, put it in an airtight container such as a mini-fridge that isn't plugged in. (And stop buying high calorie, no-nutrition foods like donuts and cookies.)

You are going to have to downsize. I know you're crafty, but get rid of everything except what you'll need to do the next two SPECIFIC projects. Don't have stuff hanging around because it would be "useful" in a project. You don't have room in there to craft, anyway.

Go through all your hair stuff, makeup, lotions, etc and get it down to the few things you actually use. Like one lotion you like, the shampoo and conditioner you like best, three combs that do different things, your favorite hairbrush, like that. Makeup that you actually use daily. Throw away old broken or half-used makeups.

Store cleaning supplies where your SIL stores hers. Bring your laundry to the laundry room and wash as soon as one hamper is full.

Don't have any clothes in the closet that you don't wear or are out of season. Get rid of all knick knacks. You only need books you will read within one or two months. After that you can trade them in and get more.

You need two sets of bedsheets and one comforter. Don't keep any lamps, radios, irons or other things you can't use right now or that your SIL already has that you can use. Put them in storage.

If all your "extra" (not everyday) stuff doesn't fit in one storage unit, you'll need to go through the unit and declutter that as well. Get rid of anything that isn't extremely expensive or can be replaced at a retail store. For instance, you do not need a dish set at the moment. You can buy an inexpensive dish set at Walmart. Therefore, you don't need to store a dish set.

Read More Answers...

July 23, 2011 Flag

I am looking for ideas, suggestions, testimonies of DIY bedroom makeover for a boy, age 12. The room is on the small size. He is sleeping on a full size futon, but that is really taking up too much room. Storage/shelves are really needed, it is a very unorganized room. I also need to make it exciting and clever. My budget is small. I won't have a problem figuring out curtains, bed covers, etc. I just need some practical ideas on how to make a small room more functional.

By Arlinn

Some really great ideas here! Thank you all. There are some I especially like, and others have given me good food for thought on the topic.

Do like the college kids do and put a twin bed on top of two sturdy bookshelves.Somehow anchor the bed in place on top of these bookshelves and anchor the shelves to the wall. Place a desk, chair and shelves under the bed. He may need a ladder attached as well to get into and down from his bed.

Read More Answers...

August 8, 2007 Flag

Bed for Small Bedroom

Bed for Small Bedroom

I have a small bedroom and want to not load it up with furniture. I bought a new bed and decided to get one with the built in drawers to save space in that room. This way a dresser is not taking up any space.

By Linda from Bellevue, NE

December 15, 2010 Flag

I am 15 and am a freshman. I am a straight A student, a cheerleader, a runner, a softball player and I love technology. I cannot seem to keep my room clean, neat, cute, organized and smelling nice! I need help! I have white walls and painting is not possible right now, but definitely in the future. My theme is purple but I have a lot of different colors too.

I have a twin bed, with some space underneath. I have a huge built-in bookshelf, a night stand, a vanity with a mirror, a long dresser with a mirror, a tall dresser, and a closet with a sliding door. The closet is not very big at all, but does have some drawers. My room is very small

! I have a lot of books, a lot of clothes, and a lot of shoes. I need a homework space, a beauty space, and a space for a lot of trinkets. I already went through everything and got rid of a lot of stuff! Help me please. :)

By Ali from AR

Hi and great job on your studies. I would say decorate the same ways as college students do. Frugal and smart. Since you can't paint you can add color using art or your items. You can use command hook-they don't damage the walls. You can use storage containers to store things under the bed. Get some cute containers at the dollar store or Target, Wal-mart. You want neat and organized. Group things like makeup in a container that maybe has drawers. These are inexpensive.

Use over the door shoe bags and you can even use them on the walls. Put items in the pockets. So long as its neat. everything in its place. Get some potpourri or use febreeze type air fresheners. A big part of the unfresh scent is just dust and needing to organize. Good luck and hope this helps.

My teenagers had the same problem with 'odors lurking around' in their rooms but learned that 1/2 a quart of regular straight vinegar in a mason jar would make the bad smells (any bad smells) go away. Just sit the jar where it will not get knocked over accidentally. Perhaps in the corner behind your bedroom door?

Read More Answers...

August 5, 2014 Flag

How can I organize my very small bedroom in a rental when I have no closet and a limited income? I have a twin bed, chest of drawers, 2 night tables, a plastic unit w/3 drawers for my underwear, a folding table for my TV, computer (can't afford internet access), sewing machine, and a lot of craft stuff.

By Robin from Norfolk, VA

Hi! I was in a similar situation several years ago. I had limited, irregularly shaped space, and bulky furniture. I wasn't sure how to fit everything, be able to move around, AND have all drawer/doors accessible.

I solved this by measuring the entire room--doors & windows included--and mapping the room out (scaled down) on a large piece of drafting paper. I then measured all furniture, adding 1/4" all around. Using the same scaled size, I drew 2 sets of the furniture pieces; one set as a "top down" (LxW) view, the other frontal (HxL) view. I then cut out each piece of "furniture" and placed them around the drawing of the room, using both views. (Yes, I know there are computer programs that do this, but those are very hard to come by when you don't even have a quarter to pay attention!)

My friend thought I was crazy when they saw all the furniture sitting outside my room. He said I was crazy if I thought I was going to be able to fit all that in...boy did he feel silly as he was rubbing my poor, tired feet, after cooking me dinner that night! It all fit beautifully, with ample room to move! The toughest part, though, was getting everything IN the room to move it around! I guess all that geometry actually comes in handy after all! :)

As for general organization goes, if you can find cardboard box lids that are close to the size of your drawers, use those to "layer" item. This helps so much for convenient accessibility! You can also cut extra notches in them, and add a divider made from the side of a box. I covered the cardboard with some cheap, but pretty, fabric. (I used an old bridesmaid dress. I just knew I was going to actually use that dress again someday! LOL!

Going VERTICLE is another great solution, if you are able to put nails/screws in the wall. I used some Pergo floor planks & "L" brackets to make staggered floating shelves. Putting cup hooks on the underside added even more space! (Just be absolutely certain you are actually IN a wall stud BEFORE putting anything even remotely heavy onto the shelf!!! I almost lost a toe when one of them came down on it!!! LOL!)

Good luck! ~Adrienne

If you shop garage sales look for a hanging shoe rack. It's all fabric with about a dozen pockets. Great for holding things besides shoes and it hangs off the back of a door.

Load More
Organizing BedroomApril 3, 2013
Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Guest Room
Decorating a Guest Room
beautiful green tone bedroom
Inexpensive Bedroom Makeovers
Organizing Your Bedroom
Organizing Your Bedroom
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 7:20:56 PM on 10.0.0.86 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.