Organizing a Small Bedroom

Organizing a small bedroom can be a challenge, due to the lack of sufficient storage space and other concerns. This is a guide about organizing a small bedroom.

August 19, 2005 Flag
Shauna Smith Duty3 found this helpful

Need to tuck your television or computer into a nook so that you have more floor space in a bedroom? This simple closet conversion is inexpensive, functional, and just plain cute. Often the things tucked away in spare room closets can be discarded or stored elsewhere. That extra closet is wasted space.

What you'll need:

Directions

Remove and store the closet doors. You may need them if you ever plan to sell your home, or if you convert the space back into a closet. Just store them in the attic, out of the way, with the hardware attached in a plastic baggie.

Measure the shelves or desk you want to use in the space to make sure it will fit without sticking out past the interior closet wall. This conversion looks best if the furniture in the closet fits properly. The shelves in the photo were created by cutting down an old shelving unit. The two doors beneath the television are a pre-existing VCR cabinet slid onto the shelves. Painting the whole unit solid white to match the trim of the closet makes it look custom built to fit the space. Electronics wires can be hidden behind the unit and fed through a hole cut in the shelf, behind the television.

In the photographed entertainment area, lace sheers were hung on a shower curtain rod and pulled back with tiebacks. To conceal the area, use drapes, bamboo shades, or tab curtains and pull them closed.

This project works for not only entertainment centers, but also for bookshelves, computer desks, or a child's dress up area.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think its a great idea. You do with what you have. That's the name of frugality. Looks nice.

This is fine if you don't mind all the cords running from the closet out into the room and strung to electrical outlet. Too many cords and cables from computer, router, etc. I tried putting my desktop it a closet and it was tacky. I haven't seen a closet with a plug.

Read More Comments...

August 8, 2007 Flag

Bed for Small Bedroom

Bed for Small Bedroom

I have a small bedroom and want to not load it up with furniture. I bought a new bed and decided to get one with the built in drawers to save space in that room. This way a dresser is not taking up any space.

By Linda from Bellevue, NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When my son was younger, his bedroom wasn't too big, so we got him bunk beds (he liked having friends sleep over), with a trundle frame underneath. We put plywood in, to make a full bottom on the trundle. I used the back of it for storage of extra blankets, quilts, and afghans. The front was a large toy box. His room was always nice and neat, since everything had a place.

Try some wall hung shelving, too.

Read More Comments...

February 28, 2005 Flag

Old dresser drawers under the bed make great storage, you can even put casters on the bottom if you like.

By imaqt1962

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cool Idea, Thanks for sharing. I'm going to do the same thing this weekend with a dresser that has 2 broken drawers, and it really has no good use anymore.

This is a great idea. It should help to keep clothes and other stuff getting shoved under the bed when my kids "clean" their bedrooms.

Read More Comments...

August 24, 2015 Flag

I'm 19. I have a small room with no closet. My boyfriend does stay with me, but we need more storage space. All I have is a full size bed, a night stand with 1 drawer, a tall 3 drawer dresser which has all my clothes in it, a mini fridge for drinks and snacks, and a high shelf that we keep our collectable items on. We need more clothing space for both of us and more shelving space for hygiene, jewelry, pens, notebooks, etc. Any ideas please?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thrift stores, garage sales, Craig's List, etc., have great furniture-cabinets, shelves and other storage ideas for very little. Shelves are what you probably need most. Also, there are fabric closets you can buy that simply set up in your room for hanging and folded clothes. Try IKEA, Walmart, Target, etc.

I've seen some folks use cinder blocks between boards to make floor to ceiling walls of space and use those plastic boxes to place stuff inside to sit on those shelves (and under the bed).

If there is any way to hang shelves from the ceiling (rope on both ends through the boards) OR even to HANG clothes on hangers (similar to a swing idea with a rod horizontally at the bottom and holes for rope to go through the rod at both ends..like a trapeze design) you can add some space.

Good Luck!

All good ideas. Also, can you buy or build a bed that is raised? You might find plans easy enough here. Good luck!!

https://www.google.com/webhp?source ... F-8#q=building+a+raised+sleeping+bed

Read More Answers...

July 23, 2011 Flag

I am looking for ideas, suggestions, testimonies of DIY bedroom makeover for a boy, age 12. The room is on the small size. He is sleeping on a full size futon, but that is really taking up too much room. Storage/shelves are really needed, it is a very unorganized room. I also need to make it exciting and clever. My budget is small. I won't have a problem figuring out curtains, bed covers, etc. I just need some practical ideas on how to make a small room more functional.

By Arlinn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I bought some shelving units at Costco a few years ago that were snap together. They were square pieces of grate -- like the side of a milk crate-- and assembled into cubes. They could be put together in a variety of formats, making square cubicles for storage and display. My son has used these for years, rearranging his room in a variety of ways -- using the shelves for toy storage or display. Now that he is 22 and in his own house, he is using the same shelving units for clothing storage. Best $30 I ever spent. I bought 3 of the sets.

One of my other sons removed his folding doors from his closet and painted the whole room, interior of the closet and the ceiling all the same color. Opening up the closet made the room a lot bigger, and he said he would keep the shelves and hangers neat if they were out in the open (he did!). Because it was a big closet, at one time, he put a desk inside with his TV and gaming stuff on it.

My sons liked a blank slate in their rooms -- just paint the walls and nice curtains. They chose their own quilt, sheets and pillow cases -- not necessarily matching. And then put up posters and such on the walls. My younger son used a row of CDs as a border along the top of his wall. Looked pretty great. He fastened them to the wall with that blue office sticky tac. Get your son involved in the decorating, and design the room to his tastes.

Some really great ideas here! Thank you all. There are some I especially like, and others have given me good food for thought on the topic.

Do like the college kids do and put a twin bed on top of two sturdy bookshelves.Somehow anchor the bed in place on top of these bookshelves and anchor the shelves to the wall. Place a desk, chair and shelves under the bed. He may need a ladder attached as well to get into and down from his bed.

Read More Answers...

July 16, 2014 Flag

I had to move out of my apartment due to it being on the second floor. I have a knee injury so I couldn't climb those stairs anymore. My sis-in-law was so kind as to let us in her home.

One problem. The room is really small. We left most of our things in storage, but the things we do have, oh my, it is just that the room looks cluttered. I make cakes as a hobby and I also sew. So I have my craft stuff in our room. Food that doesn't go bad, like bread, cereal, etc. we keep in the room now. We use to leave it out in the kitchen, but our food would be gone before week's end and me without a job made it hard to buy food at a moments notice.

We also have a 6 drawer dresser and two ottomans, we have junk inside there as well. Our closet is a mess and one of the ottomans is blocking the other side of the closet. I tried organizing the room on my own, but it backfired. I just feel like there is more of a mess. There is no way I am able to stick nails into the walls, so we can hang stuff on the walls. We keep doors closed at all times for privacy. I am at my wits end. I don't know how else to keep this room organized and free of clutter. Help! I went from a full apt to a small tiny bedroom for two people :-(

By Nataly from Whittier, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get at least two covered rubbermaid-type boxes. Put as much cake decorating stuff as you can in one and sewing stuff in the other. These boxes can be stacked on top of each other. Buy some under-bed type storage boxes and use them - perhaps the bed could be put on risers to give additional space under the bed.

Talk to your sister-in-law and/or show her your room. Ask her if she has any advice for organizing or if she might be able to help organize. She might be able to offer you a little more of a storage space, like in an unused cabinet or in the basement, where your husband could retrieve things as you need them.

I lived small for years...expert! put a small shelf about a 14 inches from the ceiling all the way around the room. store less used items high. you can cover with garden trellis if you want to velco it up so you can pull of sections. make sure you get folding stools, laundry hampers and laundry baskets. also get a bed that lifts up so you can store under it. or if you don't mind climbing a little higher you can put several dressers under and store a ton of clothing....worked great for college. you can also make a tall shelf behind your bed and have a open compartment tho drive your bike in!! no one would ever suspect it's there.....I also used hanging kitchen baskets for my hair stuff and toiletries. hope the tips help.

Food in your room is bad! Please stop doing that. You are inviting mice and bugs. If you must have it there to keep others from eating it, put it in an airtight container such as a mini-fridge that isn't plugged in. (And stop buying high calorie, no-nutrition foods like donuts and cookies.)

You are going to have to downsize. I know you're crafty, but get rid of everything except what you'll need to do the next two SPECIFIC projects. Don't have stuff hanging around because it would be "useful" in a project. You don't have room in there to craft, anyway.

Go through all your hair stuff, makeup, lotions, etc and get it down to the few things you actually use. Like one lotion you like, the shampoo and conditioner you like best, three combs that do different things, your favorite hairbrush, like that. Makeup that you actually use daily. Throw away old broken or half-used makeups.

Store cleaning supplies where your SIL stores hers. Bring your laundry to the laundry room and wash as soon as one hamper is full.

Don't have any clothes in the closet that you don't wear or are out of season. Get rid of all knick knacks. You only need books you will read within one or two months. After that you can trade them in and get more.

You need two sets of bedsheets and one comforter. Don't keep any lamps, radios, irons or other things you can't use right now or that your SIL already has that you can use. Put them in storage.

If all your "extra" (not everyday) stuff doesn't fit in one storage unit, you'll need to go through the unit and declutter that as well. Get rid of anything that isn't extremely expensive or can be replaced at a retail store. For instance, you do not need a dish set at the moment. You can buy an inexpensive dish set at Walmart. Therefore, you don't need to store a dish set.

Read More Answers...

December 15, 2010 Flag

I am 15 and am a freshman. I am a straight A student, a cheerleader, a runner, a softball player and I love technology. I cannot seem to keep my room clean, neat, cute, organized and smelling nice! I need help! I have white walls and painting is not possible right now, but definitely in the future. My theme is purple but I have a lot of different colors too.

I have a twin bed, with some space underneath. I have a huge built-in bookshelf, a night stand, a vanity with a mirror, a long dresser with a mirror, a tall dresser, and a closet with a sliding door. The closet is not very big at all, but does have some drawers. My room is very small

! I have a lot of books, a lot of clothes, and a lot of shoes. I need a homework space, a beauty space, and a space for a lot of trinkets. I already went through everything and got rid of a lot of stuff! Help me please. :)

By Ali from AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A good way to get yourself organized is:

Before you start you will need 3 boxes or bags and a bunch of no-slip hangers (they have to all match! You can find it in the Discount store or Dollar stores) A couple of small bins (you can also find this at the Dollar store)

1) Take everything you own and throw it on the bed

2) Get three boxes or bags, 1 for garbage, 1 for donate and 1 for keep

3) Go through everything and decide which bag it goes into...the rule is if you haven't worn or used it in a year, get rid of it.

4) Throw the "garbage" bag out, drive with Mom and give away the "donate" bag. Take the "keep" bag and bring it to the hallway along with anything else that sits on the floor, vacuum your floor very well, corners, under bed, move furniture if you have to.

5) Start bringing in your stuff, hang all of your clothes neatly and loose stuff like scrunchies, pins, socks, use the bins

6) Lay back in your bed and enjoy your organized, clean bedroom

7) keep it that way!

Enjoy!

Hi and great job on your studies. I would say decorate the same ways as college students do. Frugal and smart. Since you can't paint you can add color using art or your items. You can use command hook-they don't damage the walls. You can use storage containers to store things under the bed. Get some cute containers at the dollar store or Target, Wal-mart. You want neat and organized. Group things like makeup in a container that maybe has drawers. These are inexpensive.

Use over the door shoe bags and you can even use them on the walls. Put items in the pockets. So long as its neat. everything in its place. Get some potpourri or use febreeze type air fresheners. A big part of the unfresh scent is just dust and needing to organize. Good luck and hope this helps.

My teenagers had the same problem with 'odors lurking around' in their rooms but learned that 1/2 a quart of regular straight vinegar in a mason jar would make the bad smells (any bad smells) go away. Just sit the jar where it will not get knocked over accidentally. Perhaps in the corner behind your bedroom door?

Read More Answers...

March 16, 2010 Flag

My room is 12' by 10'. My wall does a dreadful slant, leaving me not being able to stand in more than half the room nor put furniture in.

I don't know how to move furniture or organize my clothes, store my stuffed animals other than leaving them on display, store doll stuff, or what to put in my empty drawers. I sure have plenty of stuff.

My room is also very dark. It has a window, but it's not on the side of the house with sunshine. I'm looking out on the back yard.

I think I posted this once before, but it didn't get through. Thank you for any feedback.

By Lena from Portland, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Definitely use mirrors. Places like Wal-mart or home finishing stores sell square or octagonal ones that are meant to be used under plates at tables during the holidays. Place one under your lamps and/or behind the lamps to reflect light out into the room. Since the walls are slanted, making hanging large objects hard to hang, you can have mirror cut to fit picture frames.

You can hang these in patterns to mimic windows (and reflect light). Definitely place your bed under the slope, since you lie down in it anyway, reserving the taller ceiling for things you need to do standing, like getting dressed. We have the lower slopes closed off into closets and storage. Even though they're not too tall, they are just the right height for hanging tops, jackets, pants over hangers, etc.

If you're short on money, you can enclose the areas with rods mounted to the walls and just gather fabric to cover them. It will look like the bottom of the walls are covered with shirred fabric and no one will know it's storage. The bookcases are a great idea, not to mention relatively cheap.

If you push a few them up to the wall, it will look like built-in storage, and you can place seldom used things behind them, like out-of-season clothing. Look for short dressers at garage sales. Paint them white once you get them home to place under the slopes.

The white paint will make them seem to disappear and make the room look bigger. And stick with light wall colors to make the room appear larger; gloss or semi-gloss to reflect more light.

There are some great decorating ideas here already. Mine is a little unconventional, but practical. I suggest tucking the foot of your bed under the short side of the room, with your headboard on the roomy side. This would provide as much walking space as possible. Feet don't need height when you lie in bed! Back your headboard with a bench, vanity or narrow desk to hold what would normally be on a nightstand. During the day, you could sit at this table comfortably, too!

I like Mikistewart's idea, but it sounds a little impractical when it comes to making up your bed every morning and changing your bed sheets. You'd have to crawl to reach the foot of the bed! My suggestion is to turn the space into a movable closet system.

You can get some wooden cubby crates, set them on their side and stack them two or three high, depending on the height of your wall slant to give you storage room hidden behind the crates. Add some small wheels under the bottom crates and use small screws to secure the upper crates to the lower crates. This will create a movable "wall" of shelves for storing shoes, purses, books, and what-nots. Leave yourself enough room at the end of your "shelf wall" for a hanging bar to hang shirts, pants, and short skirts.

You can get some clear plastic tubs to fit in behind your wall of shelves to give you additional storage for out of season clothes (winter clothes during summer months and vice versa), extra blankets, and items you don't need everyday. The rollers on the shelves make it easy to move them to reach the tubs behind them.

For the hanging part of your closet system, buy some extra long curtains and hang them using the flat, white standard curtain rods or even some decorative round curtain rods with decorative hooks. Mark the curtains where they overlay on the floor with white chalk or a fabric pencil and cut them two inches past this mark. Hem the curtains to create custom sized closet curtains to hide the hanging bar and your clothes.

You can get some large wooden dowels, some white plastic pipes, or even metal rods for hanging your clothes. Add one of those flat, round door stops you see on walls behind the doorknobs to each end of your rod with some hot glue or vinyl adhesive caulking to prevent the rods from slipping out of the chains.

Hang your rod using ceiling hooks (make sure you secure them to studs or they will fall out of the wall) and some medium sized plant hanging chains. Put the first and last links of the chain onto the hooks (cut it with bolt cutters if it's too long) and slide your hanging rod into the loop of chain. Create chain loops for each end of your hanging rod and the middle for extra support if you like.

You can even add small shoe box sized plastic tubs under your clothes for storing things like belts, scarves, and hats. If you don't have any place to store extra toiletries or office supplies, you can use these small plastic tubs for those items as well. Cardboard shoes boxes work well for this too, but you need to label them so you know what's in them.

You can also get a couple of those wire mesh hanging baskets for the kitchen and hang them in your room to display small stuffed animals, hair accessories, or even makeup. You can line them with some old scraps of fabric to keep things from slipping through the holes. You can store hair clips and claws to the chains that suspend the baskets and tie ribbons to the chains for your hair barrettes.

You can even get some small square baskets from Wal-Mart (they come 3 to a pack for around $1 each) and attach them to the wall with small cup hooks in a shelf pattern or go a little funky and hang them in a circle pattern for added fun. You can keep just about any kind of small trinkets, perfume bottles, cosmetics, and hair accessories in them. You can use them for your jewelry by adding some tiny plastic storage containers for earrings and lapel pins, and hanging your necklaces and bracelets from the holes in the sides of the baskets.

One idea I used in my daughter's room was to recycle the rail of an old baby crib. I used some large sized aluminum wire brackets (the kind that form a half circle and attach to the wall at each end) to secure the rail to the wall. Then I used some decorative ribbons to tie her stuffed animals to the rail so they would always be on display and she could still take them down to play with them.

You could use this same idea to hang your belts and scarves instead of stashing them into little plastic tubs or tie your stuffed animals to it. It can also be used to hang dresses, if attached high enough on the wall. Just use some pliers to turn the hook of wire hanger to make the dress hang flat against the rail. You can wrap the wire hanger in yarn or tie some old shoulder pads to the hanger to prevent rust stains on your clothes or hanger impressions on the shoulders.

Your room, as small as it is, has tons of potential storage space. Use your imagination and get creative with your space. You'd be amazed at what you can store in an awkward room.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Organizing BedroomApril 3, 2013
Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Guest Room
Decorating a Guest Room
beautiful green tone bedroom
Inexpensive Bedroom Makeovers
Organizing Your Bedroom
Organizing Your Bedroom
🎉
🎄