Organizing a Small Bedroom

Organizing a small bedroom can be a challenge, due to the lack of sufficient storage space and other concerns. This is a guide about organizing a small bedroom.

August 19, 2005 Flag
Shauna Smith Duty3 found this helpful

Need to tuck your television or computer into a nook so that you have more floor space in a bedroom? This simple closet conversion is inexpensive, functional, and just plain cute. Often the things tucked away in spare room closets can be discarded or stored elsewhere. That extra closet is wasted space.

What you'll need:

Remove and store the closet doors. You may need them if you ever plan to sell your home, or if you convert the space back into a closet. Just store them in the attic, out of the way, with the hardware attached in a plastic baggie.

Measure the shelves or desk you want to use in the space to make sure it will fit without sticking out past the interior closet wall. This conversion looks best if the furniture in the closet fits properly. The shelves in the photo were created by cutting down an old shelving unit. The two doors beneath the television are a pre-existing VCR cabinet slid onto the shelves. Painting the whole unit solid white to match the trim of the closet makes it look custom built to fit the space. Electronics wires can be hidden behind the unit and fed through a hole cut in the shelf, behind the television.

In the photographed entertainment area, lace sheers were hung on a shower curtain rod and pulled back with tiebacks. To conceal the area, use drapes, bamboo shades, or tab curtains and pull them closed.

This project works for not only entertainment centers, but also for bookshelves, computer desks, or a child's dress up area.

I guess you get what you pay for...sorry I don't like this. The shower curtain is not a good suggestion since you can get real curtain rods at target for ten dollars, and that shelf looks cheap. The hanging pictures are different distances from the molding, this bothers me if your giving design advice...maybe this is good for a poor college student trying to get by, but not for an adult trying to have some sort of style...

I think its a great idea. You do with what you have. That's the name of frugality. Looks nice.

August 8, 2007 Flag

Bed for Small Bedroom

Bed for Small Bedroom

I have a small bedroom and want to not load it up with furniture. I bought a new bed and decided to get one with the built in drawers to save space in that room. This way a dresser is not taking up any space.

By Linda from Bellevue, NE

It is indeed a nice bed, how about putting the head board under the window so you can access the drawers on either side..

When my son was younger, his bedroom wasn't too big, so we got him bunk beds (he liked having friends sleep over), with a trundle frame underneath. We put plywood in, to make a full bottom on the trundle. I used the back of it for storage of extra blankets, quilts, and afghans. The front was a large toy box. His room was always nice and neat, since everything had a place.

February 28, 2005 Flag

Old dresser drawers under the bed make great storage, you can even put casters on the bottom if you like.

By imaqt1962

We have done this for our boys. It should have been the first and only "toy box" they had. My husband put two strips of 1x4 lumber across the bottom to reinforce the thin wood then he put 2in. coasters on the 1x4's on the bottom of the dresser drawers. These are the best. The boys love rolling them in and out and they can be easily organized. It is worth buying an old dresser than buying a old toy box.

Cool Idea, Thanks for sharing. I'm going to do the same thing this weekend with a dresser that has 2 broken drawers, and it really has no good use anymore.

August 24, 2015 Flag

I'm 19. I have a small room with no closet. My boyfriend does stay with me, but we need more storage space. All I have is a full size bed, a night stand with 1 drawer, a tall 3 drawer dresser which has all my clothes in it, a mini fridge for drinks and snacks, and a high shelf that we keep our collectable items on. We need more clothing space for both of us and more shelving space for hygiene, jewelry, pens, notebooks, etc. Any ideas please?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thrift stores, garage sales, Craig's List, etc., have great furniture-cabinets, shelves and other storage ideas for very little. Shelves are what you probably need most. Also, there are fabric closets you can buy that simply set up in your room for hanging and folded clothes. Try IKEA, Walmart, Target, etc.

I've seen some folks use cinder blocks between boards to make floor to ceiling walls of space and use those plastic boxes to place stuff inside to sit on those shelves (and under the bed).

If there is any way to hang shelves from the ceiling (rope on both ends through the boards) OR even to HANG clothes on hangers (similar to a swing idea with a rod horizontally at the bottom and holes for rope to go through the rod at both a trapeze design) you can add some space.

Good Luck!

July 23, 2011 Flag

I am looking for ideas, suggestions, testimonies of DIY bedroom makeover for a boy, age 12. The room is on the small size. He is sleeping on a full size futon, but that is really taking up too much room. Storage/shelves are really needed, it is a very unorganized room. I also need to make it exciting and clever. My budget is small. I won't have a problem figuring out curtains, bed covers, etc. I just need some practical ideas on how to make a small room more functional.

By Arlinn

I bought some shelving units at Costco a few years ago that were snap together. They were square pieces of grate -- like the side of a milk crate-- and assembled into cubes. They could be put together in a variety of formats, making square cubicles for storage and display. My son has used these for years, rearranging his room in a variety of ways -- using the shelves for toy storage or display. Now that he is 22 and in his own house, he is using the same shelving units for clothing storage. Best $30 I ever spent. I bought 3 of the sets.

One of my other sons removed his folding doors from his closet and painted the whole room, interior of the closet and the ceiling all the same color. Opening up the closet made the room a lot bigger, and he said he would keep the shelves and hangers neat if they were out in the open (he did!). Because it was a big closet, at one time, he put a desk inside with his TV and gaming stuff on it.

My sons liked a blank slate in their rooms -- just paint the walls and nice curtains. They chose their own quilt, sheets and pillow cases -- not necessarily matching. And then put up posters and such on the walls. My younger son used a row of CDs as a border along the top of his wall. Looked pretty great. He fastened them to the wall with that blue office sticky tac. Get your son involved in the decorating, and design the room to his tastes.

Some really great ideas here! Thank you all. There are some I especially like, and others have given me good food for thought on the topic.

July 16, 2014 Flag

I had to move out of my apartment due to it being on the second floor. I have a knee injury so I couldn't climb those stairs anymore. My sis-in-law was so kind as to let us in her home.

One problem. The room is really small. We left most of our things in storage, but the things we do have, oh my, it is just that the room looks cluttered. I make cakes as a hobby and I also sew. So I have my craft stuff in our room. Food that doesn't go bad, like bread, cereal, etc. we keep in the room now. We use to leave it out in the kitchen, but our food would be gone before week's end and me without a job made it hard to buy food at a moments notice.

We also have a 6 drawer dresser and two ottomans, we have junk inside there as well. Our closet is a mess and one of the ottomans is blocking the other side of the closet. I tried organizing the room on my own, but it backfired. I just feel like there is more of a mess. There is no way I am able to stick nails into the walls, so we can hang stuff on the walls. We keep doors closed at all times for privacy. I am at my wits end. I don't know how else to keep this room organized and free of clutter. Help! I went from a full apt to a small tiny bedroom for two people :-(

By Nataly from Whittier, CA

Get at least two covered rubbermaid-type boxes. Put as much cake decorating stuff as you can in one and sewing stuff in the other. These boxes can be stacked on top of each other. Buy some under-bed type storage boxes and use them - perhaps the bed could be put on risers to give additional space under the bed.

Talk to your sister-in-law and/or show her your room. Ask her if she has any advice for organizing or if she might be able to help organize. She might be able to offer you a little more of a storage space, like in an unused cabinet or in the basement, where your husband could retrieve things as you need them.

I lived small for! put a small shelf about a 14 inches from the ceiling all the way around the room. store less used items high. you can cover with garden trellis if you want to velco it up so you can pull of sections. make sure you get folding stools, laundry hampers and laundry baskets. also get a bed that lifts up so you can store under it. or if you don't mind climbing a little higher you can put several dressers under and store a ton of clothing....worked great for college. you can also make a tall shelf behind your bed and have a open compartment tho drive your bike in!! no one would ever suspect it's there.....I also used hanging kitchen baskets for my hair stuff and toiletries. hope the tips help.

December 15, 2010 Flag

I am 15 and am a freshman. I am a straight A student, a cheerleader, a runner, a softball player and I love technology. I cannot seem to keep my room clean, neat, cute, organized and smelling nice! I need help! I have white walls and painting is not possible right now, but definitely in the future. My theme is purple but I have a lot of different colors too.

I have a twin bed, with some space underneath. I have a huge built-in bookshelf, a night stand, a vanity with a mirror, a long dresser with a mirror, a tall dresser, and a closet with a sliding door. The closet is not very big at all, but does have some drawers. My room is very small

! I have a lot of books, a lot of clothes, and a lot of shoes. I need a homework space, a beauty space, and a space for a lot of trinkets. I already went through everything and got rid of a lot of stuff! Help me please. :)

By Ali from AR

A good way to get yourself organized is:

Before you start you will need 3 boxes or bags and a bunch of no-slip hangers (they have to all match! You can find it in the Discount store or Dollar stores) A couple of small bins (you can also find this at the Dollar store)

1) Take everything you own and throw it on the bed

2) Get three boxes or bags, 1 for garbage, 1 for donate and 1 for keep

3) Go through everything and decide which bag it goes into...the rule is if you haven't worn or used it in a year, get rid of it.

4) Throw the "garbage" bag out, drive with Mom and give away the "donate" bag. Take the "keep" bag and bring it to the hallway along with anything else that sits on the floor, vacuum your floor very well, corners, under bed, move furniture if you have to.

5) Start bringing in your stuff, hang all of your clothes neatly and loose stuff like scrunchies, pins, socks, use the bins

6) Lay back in your bed and enjoy your organized, clean bedroom

7) keep it that way!

Hi and great job on your studies. I would say decorate the same ways as college students do. Frugal and smart. Since you can't paint you can add color using art or your items. You can use command hook-they don't damage the walls. You can use storage containers to store things under the bed. Get some cute containers at the dollar store or Target, Wal-mart. You want neat and organized. Group things like makeup in a container that maybe has drawers. These are inexpensive.

Use over the door shoe bags and you can even use them on the walls. Put items in the pockets. So long as its neat. everything in its place. Get some potpourri or use febreeze type air fresheners. A big part of the unfresh scent is just dust and needing to organize. Good luck and hope this helps.

March 16, 2010 Flag

My room is 12' by 10'. My wall does a dreadful slant, leaving me not being able to stand in more than half the room nor put furniture in.

Load More
Organizing BedroomApril 3, 2013
Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Guest Room
Decorating a Guest Room
beautiful green tone bedroom
Inexpensive Bedroom Makeovers
Organizing Your Bedroom
Organizing Your Bedroom