Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Painted Tile Crafts

A personalized, unique message or picture can be painted on a tile. This guide is about painted tile crafts.

August 25, 2008 Flag

A friend of mine gave me ceramic tiles she had left over from her bathroom. She knows I paint on anything that stands still! Word Art is so popular right now. I decided to make the tiles look like stones. They can then be hung individually or in groups.

Instructions

1. Using a plastic disposable knife, apply grout to corner edges of tiles. How much you put on is a personal preference. Let dry until hard.
  2. Paint entire top surface of tile with enamel paint. I usually use a darker shade to add depth to the crevices of the grout. Let dry.

3. Paint tile again with a lighter shade. This time, do not push paint into tile crevices, just brush over the top. This leaves the dark to add depth. Let dry.

4. You may need more coats depending on how thick your coats are. Make sure the center surface is smooth for the words.

5. Take the tile grout and put small blobs in a line, smashing them on with your finger. These will be your leaves. Before these dry, take a toothpick and shape into leaf shapes. Use toothpick to "draw" veins in leaves. Let dry.

6. Paint leaves. (You can add shadows around leaves if you desire.) Paint the vines to connect the leaves to each other. Let dry.

7. Paint words of your choice with script brush.

8. Optional: you can spray with satin finish for more protection.

9. For Hanger: Cut a 24" piece of black wire. I usually buy this by the spool at the hardware store. It's much cheaper than the craft store. A spool usually costs about $3.00 and lasts me for a couple of years!

10. Fold wire in half and make a loop for the hanger by twisting a couple of turns. You should have two ends, one for each side of the tile.

11. Place tile on top of wire and bend loops around the top corners of the tile from back to front. Push these down and they will hold the tile.

12. Take remainder of wire and fold under the bottom corners of the tile coming back up on top with a loop to hold the bottom.

13. Ad
  14. Optional: you can glue felt strips on the back to protect your wall from the wire.

By Artlady from Edmond, OK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've seen this done, but didn't fully understand the best way to do it. Now, how about for the outside of the home, such as on a piece of polished granite? Any ideas?

God bless you. : )

July 23, 2008 Flag
I received some tiles as a free sample, they were about 2"x2". As you can see they were just plain white. I did a stencil painting on one and on the other I painted then added a pretty butterfly sticker. I had another that I decoupaged on but my mom loved and it's at her house. I bought a little gold easel from Walmart for .58 cents. The tiles were free, I already had paint, stencils, and stickers so all this craft cost me was the .58 cents for the easel.

By Christi from Paducah, KY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank You! Sounds easy enough. Could even let my DD help with this to decorate some things for her room.

Painted Coaster Tiles

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I'm a rubber stamper/scrapper. This is a photo of a set of coaster tiles that I make for gifts and to sell. They're hand stamped and painted.

November 16, 2010 Flag

What kind of paint do I use to paint tile coasters?

By Ted

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can use any type of ceramic paint for your coasters. Go to a local craft store or like a Michael's and they should be able to help point you in the right direction!

July 31, 2008 Flag

I went to a craft show years ago where a woman used small tiles to turn painted fingerprints into art designs on the tile. She then fired them in an oven and we took them home. I now have kids of my own and want to do this craft with them but can't find any instructions. I don't know what kind of paint to use or how long to bake in my oven. Can anyone help or give ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can buy kits in a good craft store. My granddaughter received one as a birthday gift and she made the loveliest coffee mug for her Mom for Christmas. The kit came with all the necessary supplies. She was 8 at the time (11 now) and did it all herself except for using Grandma's oven. It was very easy. For more serious projects, try a search on the internet.

Tile Craft
Crafts Using Tiles
Crafts Tiles and MosaicsJuly 2, 2013
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Decoupaged Ceramic Tiles
Decoupaging Ceramic Tiles
Recycled Tile Bookends
Making Recycled Tile Bookends
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 3:32:20 PM on 10.0.0.107 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.