February 18, 2010
A fun easy craft for a rainy or snowy day is making bookends from 3 or 4 inch tiles. Tiles can be new, but I have done some remodeling and have excess tiles lying about, and it's easy to find extra tiles at garage sales.
Children can have fun with this, but as always, adult supervision is needed when using a glue gun, or mixing epoxy glue.
Approximate Time: Less than an hour
- tiles, new or reusable
- glue gun or epoxy glue
- construction paper
- embellishments, as needed
- regular white tacky glue
- Gather supplies from the list above. Use four tiles for each bookend.
- Glue two tiles together with finish face showing.
- Now glue a pair of these tiles to the other pair as shown.
- Decorate or embellish as needed.
- A pattern is shown that can be used to cut construction paper that can be glued to the bookend.
- To this paper, decorations can be applied, be they paper, fabric, artifacts or whatever you want.
- Some tiles are pretty enough to stand on their own. Simply cut strips of complementary paper and glue to edges to hide gaps between tiles.
By Lonnie from Chatsworth CA