Painting Laminate Furniture

My daughter has recently purchased a home where the previous owners left a couple of cheap bookcases. These would be handy for storage in any one of a number of areas, but probably mostly in her daughters' play room.

She was asking what she might be able to do to give them a better look. I don't think that they are wood, but some kind of laminate over pressed wood. Can she paint them? Or are there decals or something that would stick to them to dress them up a bit? Please give me your ideas.

By Wondernana from Clovis, CA

Answers:

Painting Laminate Furniture

You can lightly sand with a fine grit sandpaper. The higher the number the finer the grit. For example 220 grit will leave a finer scratch than 180 grit. I am not a fan of Kilz. I used it once on a table. The top coat would not cover the white Kilz. Had to strip every bit of paint down to the bare wood. There are better primers you can use than Kilz. After sanding wipe off all the dust, apply a primer then paint with the top coat (11/11/2009)

By foxrun41

Painting Laminate Furniture

To paint over laminate, just clean, then use a coat of "Gripper", better than Kilz. Glidden Gripper is great. I never had to sand. This will adhere to the laminate and almost can't be sanded off. Then almost any type paint will adhere to that. I am also learning by experiences, some good, some bad, but now I know. After the Gripper and paint, then top with Minwax Poly-crylic in a can, not spray and apply with a sponge, not a brush, to avoid brush lines. (07/11/2010)

By tercarr0l

Painting Laminate Furniture
Laminate Furniture
Painting Laminate Furniture
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Painting Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
🎄