Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

How long do I boil potatoes for potato salad? don't want it to come out like mashed potatoes.

Angelique

Answers:

Potato Salad Tip

When preparing potatoes for potato salad. Boil them in their jackets. When tender after being pricked with a fork. Drain the water off and fill pan with cold water. When the potatoes are cool, one by one, scrape peeling off with a serrated steak knife. It's easier than trying to tear off the skin with your fingernails. I used to dread making potato salad, but now it's a much easier task. I got this valuable info from a cook I used to work with.

By Terri (06/18/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

I use a similar method, except instead of scraping the peelings off, I pierce the peel slightly with the point of my paring knife, and then pick up the cut edge and pull the peeling off. This will not get all the peeling off at once, but just repeat the process by lifting the edge that is still on the potato and repeat the process. Another potato tip is that if you have trouble using all the bag before they begin to sprout, boil extras when you make potato salad. Drain well, place in an open bowl with the peelings still on and store in the fridge. Use them for fried potatoes or shred them for Hash browns (with or without the peelings). They will keep for 7-10 days in the open bowl.
Harlean from Arkansas (06/19/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

Hi,
I make potato salad the lazy way.
Buy the southern hash brown diced potatoes frozen.
Cook , drain and the potatoes are ready.
Lazy, huh (06/19/2005)

By guest

Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

When I make potato salad, I peel and cube them before I cook them as if for stewed potatoes. Then when they are done--which takes a shorter time because they are in smaller pieces--I just add all the ingredients and WALLA--potato salad in about 30 minutes! (06/19/2005)

By priscilla

Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

Why peel the potatoes? Clean, cut, cook and cool. The skins provide lots of vitamins and make for a tasty salad. (06/20/2005)

By

Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

I add a little dill pickle juice to my potato salad. YUM! (06/22/2005)

By

Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

How long do I boil potatoes for potato salad? I don't want mashed potato salad. Thank you (07/04/2005)

By

Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

Here is an awesome way to make potato salad.Wash and peel about 10 med. potatoes. Cut them, and place into a pressure pot, covering the potatoes with water just above the potatoes, cook on med. till the pressure valve starts to steam, and let it steam about 5 min then cut off the heat, and wait till all the steam has all escaped, or else you can get seriously burned.
When they are done, drain well. Put into a mixing bowl, add your mayo(1-2 Tb) and then the mustard, add dill pickle relish, diced green olives w/ pimentos, diced onion, bell pepper, all according to your preference pepper, Goya Adobo all purpose seasoning ( the secret) After mixing sprinkle on cilantro (dry) or parsley, and some paprika.The pressure pot really brings out the potato flavor, and the adobo is a very versatile seasoning, I use on everything from spaghetti, to roasts, even Cornbread dressing. Try it! It's great. (07/05/2005)

By

Potato Salad - Tips and Recipes

Another tip....red potatoes make better potato salad, because they stay firm when cooked where white potatoes tend to get mushy. Boil them until they feel done when you sink a fork into them. White potatoes make better mashed potatoes than red potatoes do. And make better baked potatoes, too.
Harlean from Arkansas (07/13/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Potato Salad Recipes
Potato Salad Recipes
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes
Mashed Potato salad in a white bowl with blue rim.
Mashed Potato Salad
Red Potato Salad in a white dish
Red Potato Salad Recipes
Wood Salad Bowl
Caring For Wood Salad Bowls
🎉
🎄