Power Goes Out When Using Microwave

Category Electrical
Pushing the start button on a microwave.
If your power goes out when you turn on your microwave the breaker is getting overloaded. It is best to have an electrician look at the issue. This is a guide about power goes out when using microwave.

When the microwave is on the power on one side of the house will go out. It is scary.

By Denise

Best Answer

Microwaves use a lot of power, and so the circuit must be overloaded when you use it. If it is tripping the breaker, there is nothing scarey about this. This is what breakers are supposed to do when there is an overload. Breakers do wear out, and perhaps you need to call an electrician to have this one replaced. How do you get the power back on, by the way? Is there another outlet that you can plug the microwave into? What else is on the circuit with the microwave? Can you unplug some other appliances or shut them off when you are using the microwave?

In my house, I had 5 outlets on one circuit, (fridge, TV, Sat. receiver, roomba, Xmas lights, microwave, VCR, coffee maker & toaster). My breaker would trip every time I was making coffee or toast and used the microwave. I had an electrician come in, replace the breaker (which was worn out), and put the fridge and the microwave on their own breakers. Problem solved.

In the short term, plug the microwave into a different outlet or make sure that there is nothing else using a lot of power that is on at the same time as you are using the microwave.

My microwave oven trips the breaker when it cycles. The repairman said, that LG told him, that because the stove clock is on the same line, it could cause interference that'd trip the breaker. The breaker is 20 amp, and the microwave is rated at 14 amps.

I think this is insane. Is it posible the black and white wires feeding the outlet are reversed, causing interference that could trip the breaker? My idea sounds more plausible. The microwave's switches and circuit panel have been replaced. Thank you for your thoughts.

By Jim

Best Answer

This seems an obvious question, but have you checked what else is on the circuit with the microwave? In my house, I have a TV & all its associated machines, a Roomba, the Christmas lights (only at Christmas), the fridge, the toaster , the coffee maker, and the microwave all on the one circuit! It is insane. I am hoping to get an electrician to add another circuit or two to the panel. Maybe you have a bunch of other stuff on the circuit. The microwave is what would trip the breaker, but, of course, if everything else was not running, it didn't. Microwaves draw a lot of power; I doubt that there is anything wrong with the machine.