Browsing: Preventing Glitter from Falling Off Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing Glitter from Falling Off Clothing

Keeping this shiny decoration on material can be a challenge. This guide is about preventing glitter from falling off clothing.

Red Glitter Shoes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 13, 2013 Flag

I bought some shoes with glitter on them and the glitter comes off. What can I put on them to stop it?

By Melissa

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try spraying them with hair spray.

I've been reading about putting decoupage glue on items after you glitter them - tools, etc. Should work on shoes! Let me know if you try it?

August 20, 2008 Flag

Is there a way to stop glitter from coming off evening gown? There is a spiral type design with glitter on it throughout the gown. After getting up from sitting, there is glitter all over the chair. I've only worn the gown once because of this problem.

Pikkymama

Thank you Corrie for your suggestion. I'm going to see Phantom of the Opera in Oct and want to wear this gown, but I don't want to leave glitter everywhere! I'm going to try your suggestion at home first. Thanks again.

If you are careful, you can try to put clear nail polish on. But be care of the fabric.

If you have already lost a lot of glitter on your gown, you go to a fabric shop, Lowe's any kind of craft shop. You can buy glitter glue for fabric in different color's and just repair the gown. This way you do not have to worry about hurting the material. Although I will have to remember Dyan's idea. I am into crafts and that just might come in handy. Thanks Dyan! And Pikkymama you will love the Phantom of the opera! My daughter and I saw it in Toronto and it was just wonderful. I would love to see it again. I do not have to tell you have fun. I already know you will! darlene

Thank you Dyan and Darlene both for your suggestions. I haven't lost a lot of glitter - it falls off a little when I walk and leaves a little glitter behind after sitting. The design is thin spiral type lines with glitter throughout the gown. I can hardly wait to see Phantom - I heard it was excellent. We're going to Las Vegas to see it. I have worn out the VHS already from watching the movie so much! I now have it on DVD. Thank you for telling me how much you enjoyed it Darlene. It'll be fun. Pikkymama

Read More Answers...

September 25, 2011 Flag

I wore my sister's dress to homecoming. It's the type of dress that has glitter all over and sparkles. But when I was dancing, a lot of the glitter came off of the butt and I have no idea how to fix it. Does anyone know a way to fix a dress like that?

By K.H. from Cottonwood, AZ

I don't think there is anything that can be done about this. Had the dress been worn before? More than likely the glitter came off from sitting, instead of dancing. To me, it would be natural for glitter to come off in areas where it is rubbed.

I think you just might save the day with a bit of fabric glue lightly brushed on the areas where the glitter is gone. Use extra fine glitter and gently dust it over the glue and let it dry. This just might work but of course when wearing any garment the glitter is bound to come off. There is also a fabric glue especially for glitter that can be purchased at the craft stores. I've used this method when painting and dec orating sweat shirts and it's worked well.There are many colors and types of glitter so choose carefully to get as close a match as possible.

June 8, 2011 Flag

Is there a fixative for fabric to keep glitter from falling off excessively? I have a mother-of-the groom dress with an empire waist. The cloth above the waist has glitter threads throughout. It sheds glitter easily.

A friend suggested I buy a fixative to spray on it to keep most of the glitter from falling off. I have a few concerns: 1) would the white cloth turn yellow? 2) would the fabric feel tacky after the fixative dries? 3) would sewing alterations be made difficult, or would the needle on the sewing machine become gummed up?

By JLW

I would spray it with hair spray, you can't see it and a dry cleaning can take it out of the material IF you are concerned about it. Good luck!

How about spraying a little unscented hairspray on it? You can always spray a light cologne to get rid of the alcohol smell in it. And it Is sticky & cheap! Good Luck. : )

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingJanuary 14, 2013
Body Glitter
Making Homemade Body Glitter
Man With Fresh Stain on Shirt
Preventing Stains on Clothing
Glitter
Making Homemade Glitter
Glitter Tubes on White Background
Working With Glitter
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 9:54:09 AM on 10.0.0.242 in 803 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.