Protection and Treatment for Insect Bites

I have flea bites on my ankles. I need something good for the itching. I have tried anti itch medicine and I take Benadryl, but it makes me go to sleep.

Any other suggestions?

By momssspecialangel from Parkersburg, WV

Answers:

According to the television show, "The Doctors", if you make a paste of aspirin and rub it on the bites, it takes away the sting and itch. Crush an aspirin and add a drop or 2 of water to make a thick paste and apply as needed. (09/18/2009)

By catastrofy

I do not know how this will work for flea bites, or mosquito bites, but we were in our spot that we call a garden, and my husband got a couple fire ant bites. I remembered the things we had found that responded to Listerine mouth wash, including repelling mosquitoes. I suggested that he put some on the fire ant bites and the burning went away, with no swelling or redness to follow. The ant had done the bite, and was working on the stinging part, which is the really painful, and long-lasting part of a fire ant encounter. This was just another use for Listerine. (09/19/2009)

By LJF

I have used plain white toothpaste on my granddaughter who is very allergic to any bite. It keeps the swelling down and she doesn't seem to itch. Also, a banana peel will take care of the fire ant bites, just rub the inside of the skin on the bites and you will not get the pustules or the itching. It also takes the sting out if you do it immediately. Hate those buggers! I also made a paste of baking soda one night when she awoke scratching with a very bad rash. It stopped the itching and she was able to go back to sleep. (09/19/2009)

By HalfWhit

I have always been susceptible to bug bites; mosquitoes, fleas, chiggers, no-see-ums, you name it and they bit. The best after-the-bite remedy I have found is Walgreens hydrocortisone 1%. I put the tiniest dab on the bite and that's the end of it. If I "think" before I go out, I rub Skin-So-Soft on and the no-see-ums will not bite. Also, to prevent chigger bites, put soap lather on your ankles and lower legs and let it dry. This was a must do before going blackberry picking. (02/19/2010)

By clynnaltemus

Insect
What is This Insect?
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
Chigger on Leaf
Remedies for Chigger Bites
🎄