Recycled Container Craft Ideas

Category Containers
Recycled Ribbon Dispenser
Recycled containers of all sizes and shapes can be used in crafting projects. This is a guide about recycled container craft ideas.

An easy and inexpensive craft to make for mom for Mother's Day.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes or less

Instructions:

Cover your work area with newspaper. Fill a clean baby food jar with potpourri.

Use the dip container lid as a stencil. With a Sharpie marker, trace a circle around the dip container lid on the tulle. Make sure you have newspaper underneath the tulle. Cut out the circle of tulle and put it on top of the baby food jar.

Wrap the rubberband around the top of the jar to keep the tulle in place.

Hot glue ribbon around the top of the jar to cover up the rubberband and then hot glue the flower or bow on the front.

Lo1DungDep400x300.jpg

I made these as a little gift to give each woman in our church for Mother's Day. My sister gave me the baby food jars. The tulle came from wedding decorations that were going to be thrown away. I saved the rubberbands from my Sunday paper.

I made about 65 jars and only paid for the potpourri. It was $1.00 a bag at Dollar General and I used 3 bags. I had a bunch of small ribbon flowers that I bought at the Goodwill in a bag of crafting supplies. These jars cost less than 22 cents each to make.

These would make good gifts if you were having a mother/daughter dinner before Mother's Day. You could sit a jar at each table setting.

They smell wonderful. But if you have allergies like me, you might want to take an allergy pill before starting this craft if you're going to make a bunch.

By Dana from Normaville, PA

A nice touch using the Tulle instead of fabric like you normally see.

Thanks for sharing.

What is a dip container lid? Love the idea!

Editor's Note: A "dip" container lid probably is referring to a plastic dairy lid. You could get one from any creamy dairy product such as sour cream, yogurt, margarine or dips like French Onion. Any flexible plastic lid of the right size would work.

Teresa Kay,

A dip container lid is the plastic lid on a container of dip you buy in the store. You could use a sour cream lid or cottage cheese container lid. Anything round you could use as a stencil to trace around and get a circle shape.

A friend of mine has been doing something similar to this every year for Christmas gift. The way she does hers is instead of baby food jars she uses mason jar that you use to can things in. She uses a hot glue gun, short strand of very small Christmas lights, Potpourri, ribbon, lace dolly.

Use the hot glue gun to tack the Christmas lights to the inside of the mason jar in a random pattern leaving enough wire hanging out of the top of the jar to reach an electrical plug. Pour the potpourri in the mason jar, use an ice pick or a piece of cloths hanger wire gently push the potpourri around the wire of the Christmas lights to cover the wiring, place the lace dolly over the top and tie ribbon around the top of the jar to hold the dolly in place, tie the ribbon in a bow.

When you plug it it to the outlet it warms the potpourri and puts off a very nice aroma and is very Christmas looking with its bright Christmas lights, the flickering lights really set it off nicely. When giving as a gift, tuck the cord of the Christmas lights down in the top of the jar and cover the top with the mason jar lid. Wrap in and upright box along with the lace dolly and ribbon with instructions on setting up your mason jar potpourri lamp.

Never leave the Potpourri light unattended and do not leave plugged in if you are away from home or sleeping.

Why not recycle worthy containers right back into our homes, I say! I gather together appropriate recycle-worthy containers, and, with an inexpensive roll of yard sale or thrift store wallpaper, one can turn such containers into a darling variety of matching holders of whatever you want! Attach temporarily with double-sided tape, add a couple layers of decopage and voila! Cute containers for next to nothing.

Directions:

Those are very beautiful!

Those are pretty but how do you get the scent out of them (from the food that was in them)?

I worked with mentally challenged adults, and we have made these before. Many wallpaper stores will give away their old wallpaper catalogs. This is where I got the wallpaper that we used on these containers.

Try this idea for a quick, inexpensive way to organize and dispense elastic, ribbon, twine or yarn.

Approximate Time: 15-30 minutes

Instructions:

1. Empty your soup container, wash and dry it. (I use containers from Progresso soup but any variety that offers a plastic, snap-on lid will work.) I remove the paper label that covers the outside of the container.

2. Attach a length of cute ribbon around the upper edge of the container using craft glue. You could choose to paint the outside or cover it with paper or fabric.

3. Roll elastic into a loose ball. Make the ball small enough to fit inside the container. Thread the loose end of the elastic though one opening in the lid and attach the lid back onto the container. You can then pull out the required length of elastic needed for your project and snip with scissors.

This container works equally well to dispense ribbon, small balls of yarn, or twine!

I sit the container inside a drawer on my sewing cabinet. My elastic is contained (rather than tangled up in other sewing supplies) and is always close at hand when needed.

By Pam from McMinnville, TN

Very clever idea! I am going to try this for twine.

When a friend got some cherry tomatoes, it hit me this container looked like the mini terrariums from the 70s. All sorts of things came to mind, but I can't grow anything but mold so the next best thing was a faux terrarium. I was at the dollar store and saw these cacti and thought how cute that would be.

Just clean the container, cut down the whole plant so the stem is gone, then the other so the leaves are separate. I just placed them where I thought they would go, snapped on the lid and no one is the wiser!

This tip costs $1.00 and is fun for kids to do. Some real mini plants would do well in these too.

N-JOY!

Source: Never seen it but have seen faux flowers done this way.

Link: N/A

Here is a painted flower pot with metal tape handle. I used a drawer pull for the topper.

If you cut a circle out of a butter container lid, and then cut a 'U' shape inside of it, it will act like a temporary clothespin.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I am a person who cannot keep up with her belongings. Let me hasten to remind you that it is not age. I have always been a scatterbrain and I have watches, umbrellas, and car cups scattered all over. I can't make a watch or an umbrella, but I have come up with a freebie car cup. Older people in Houston need a ready supply of water during at least 10 months out of the year.

I took a large plastic mayonnaise jar and a bendy soda straw and voila! a car cup. DH drilled the holes in the plastic jar lid since he doesn't like me playing with his power toys. He drilled one hole for the straw and one for water displacement. If I lose it I have a ready supply of jars and straws on the shelf.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

recycled drink container

Comment Like this photo? 17

That is a good ideal. Thanks.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Wow, what an amazing idea. You rock.

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

This is a really great idea! However, whatever you do, please don't reuse any plastics other than #2, #4 and #5 for food or beverage reuse because the others leach cancer causing chemicals. You can find the number on the bottom of the containers and when I just looked at my plastic mayonnaise jar it is listed as #1 and so were the peanut butter, honey, horseradish and other plastic jars.

There are glass jars with the same type of lids you're speaking of such as salad dressings sold in the produce section that could be safely used if you can't find plastic 2, 4 or 5 containers. :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I use a glass applesauce jar. I don't like eating or drinking out of plastics.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I was going to use a glass spaghetti sauce jar but opted for this one because it was plastic. I am also quite clumsy and I didn't want to take a chance on broken glass every where.

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

Marty, you really, really do have good idea, I just wanted you and all to stay safe regarding plastics. Since you mention you're clumsy and don't want broken glass everywhere maybe you could make a full body cozy to fit the glass jar of choice and then submit that. :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I love it! Totally elegant in it's simplicity, my favorite sort of thing. I'm going to look for jars right now. Thanks for a great tip!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I loved it! You thought out of the jar, I mean box!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

First, do not drink out of plastic.

You are not a scatterbrain, just do what you are doing. Don't think about what you should do, just concentrate on what you are actually doing at the time.

Reply Like this photo? Yes