Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

Category Kitchen
Refinished Kitchen Cabinets
An inexpensive way to give your kitchen a new look is to refinish your cabinets. This guide is about refinishing kitchen cabinets.

This is a guide about refinishing laminate cabinets. Some special preparation may be needed to refinish your laminate cabinets; but it can be done.

Man paining cabinets white

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

What is an easy and cheap way to refinish pressboard kitchen cabinets?

By Supermomof5

Maybe clear varnish will do the job, good luck.

The cheapest and a way to brighten your kitchen to paint them a color of your choice.

Go to hgtv.com they had a episode showing how to make them real nice looking.

I am thinking of remodeling my kitchen. Even though the kitchen cabinets are in good shape, I don't like the materials. I cannot make my mind on replacing or refacing the cabinets; any suggestions will be a big help to me. What is the different in terms of the cost and the feel?

Thank you,
Wei from Phoenix, AZ

The one thing I can tell you is. You must add the DRAIN MATE ( drainmatedishrack.com ) to your new kitchen it's ( 4 ) products in one and it saves space

Anonymous

http://photobuc  /?action=options

If you haven't started on your kitchen projects yet, check out my cabinets.

You just proved my mother is right. She said, "A man will do anything if he thinks it's foreplay."

BTW, what's S&H on Jason? He's a cutie.

Any ideas for inexpensive fixing of painted (but worn) rental cabinet doors?

By Linda

Linda: I have rented my share of older homes. With no damage, you can simply remove the doors. I have put a spot of tacky glue on some pretty buttons to cover the holes, that will pop off easy when you move. Then, you can either paint the back wall a nice color like cream or white, and put some pretty shelf paper in that perhaps folds over the shelves to make it all look like it is suppose to be that way.

Other than that, ask the landlord for permission to paint them. Take off the hinges so it looks nice and most of the time they will approve of anything that doesn't have to be done by them or paid for by them. Good luck!

I applied Varathane premium stain to some new oak kitchen cabinets. The color we chose was "summer oak". We chose this color because of it's a light, but not too light, color. My problem is, my cabinets have an orangish color to them. I need to know how I can correct this problem. They just aren't the color I had I envisioned.

By ME

You said new cabinets, if you have a piece of the wood use your stain over it and then lightly sand it after dry and in different portions of it try different stains till you get the color expected. Golden oak will produce a slightly orange color as you describe in some stains. Depending on what your wood is will affect the color. Hope this helps. Varathane itself is a clear non yellowing coating that I use by itself so my wood burning doesn't yellow over time. This only leaves what they call summer oak and apparently it and your wood absorbed more orangey color.

I want to re-finish my oak kitchen cabinets which are in good shape. From what I've read here the liquid sandpaper works best for painting over varnish.

What about staining/varnish over varnish? Can I prep my cabinets with liquid sander only? I won't be able to remove my cabinets and take them outside so I'm looking for a method that is less messy than sanding. Thanx.

By Lisa

You can buy all kinds of liquid paint, stain and varnish removers. They are messy but they do work. The largest part of the refinishing process will be the doors, and you can remove them and take them outside to sand. Just be sure as you remove each door to number it and the section it was removed from, so it is easier to get it in the exact right location when you are reattaching them. The other parts of the cabinets wouldn't be so hard to do a little sanding if necessary after using the stripping stuff.

Is there a company that would take my Tasmanian oak kitchen cupboard doors and strip off the old stain and re-stain them?

By Tamzin

I recently installed black granite on my counter tops. My appliances are stainless steel and the back splash is different hues of small gray tiles.
The original stain on the cabinets is natural, but I am interested in having them stained in a cherry mahogany color. Where can I find this color stain?

By Annabella

My kitchen cabinets are beyond ugly! They're the worst I have ever seen. I'm on a very tight budget, and would love some simple and cheap ideas for fixing them. I have a very small kitchen so space wise I don't have a lot of options. Thanks.

By April P.

I have pine cabinets in my kitchen. Pine is very soft, so there are several indentions, nicks, and scratches on them. They could also use a good cleaning. Would you suggest that I use some kind of good cleaner first, even if it removes the finish and then go back over them with a satin urethane? They really look bad. HELP!

Marilyn from Dobson, NC

I have 1980's oak cabinets in my house. I'd like to update them a bit and was wondering if anyone has stripped and stained their oak cabinets? My hubby says that oak is so hard that it won't take stain very well. Ours are a medium brown finish and I would like to make them a deeper color. I'd really rather stain them than paint them.

I looked at a product called "Minwax Water Based Wood Sheen" and wondered if that might work. Has anyone used it and if so, what is your opinion? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

By Leinie from VA

Answers:

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

My husband refinished our oak cabinets in a previous house. They turned out so well everyone thought we had bought new cabinets. He removed all the doors and sanded everything down to the bare wood then refinished with a new stain. Previously the cabinets appeared reddish, but with the sanding and new stain we had a nice golden oak patina. If you like darker wood then a Provincial (Minwax) stain may work. It is work, but if the labor is free you get a wonderful new look. (01/22/2010)

By Anonymous

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I say give it a try, but try it on one area first to see how it's going, perhaps the back of a door, although that might not be the best part of the wood to stain. Just give yourself lots of time and be patient. If it doesn't seem to be taking stain, you could always paint. Different look, but still better.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/painting-kitchen-cabinets.shtml (01/22/2010)

By Allison5

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I had oak cabinets that looked rather dated. I decided to paint them a creamy white and replaced the hardware. I took my time with the project (removing all the doors and hinges, sanding and priming) and it turned out fabulous. I now want to add granite counters. (01/22/2010)

By RealtorRose

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I did ours last year. They were about 20 years old, and now look like new. (01/23/2010)

By mb73

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

There is no such thing as oak being too hard to stain. I don't know where your husband got that idea. They were stained in the first place weren't they? Refinish them as you would any piece of wood. Strip, sand, and stain. (01/26/2010)

By Ann

My husband and I are about to purchase our first home. It is a foreclosure so it's buy "as is". There's really not too much wrong with it. I want to make the cabinets in the kitchen a darker color, maybe a nice cherry wood. I'd love to be able to update the countertops. I'm not sure what the countertops are made of though. Any tips that can be offered would be great.

By Lacey from Fort Smith, AR

Answers:

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I stained my previously "golden oak" cabinets a rich, dark brown. It was surprisingly easy.
I simply sanded them lightly and wiped on the darker stain. Then I added bright, white ceramic tile for the backsplash. Altogether, I only spent about $100.

As for the countertops, I splurged and paid someone to replace the laminate. I didn't want to attempt that myself. (10/18/2009)

By Southern Saver

RE: Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

Another option for your countertops is to remove the laminate you now have and using that as a template, cut 3/4 inch plywood to put on your counter. Then cover the plywood with granite tiles. If you use a grout that is very close to the color of the granite tiles, it almost looks like solid granite. (10/18/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I just completed sanding, staining, and double coating with polyurethane satin part veneer and wood kitchen cabinets. I used four different stains mixing together half and half, colonial maple and golden pecan for the large middle panel and using half and half mahogany and cherry stains on the outer areas and edges. They turned out very pretty.

I put the first mixture over the whole cabinet door and then used the second stain mixture over the outer area. By doing it this way, the merge of the two stains complimented better. The edges of the cabinets were a sawdust and glue combo and the polyurethane kept it from flaking away as they were old doors on a vintage trailer. I plan on taking a picture and will put it on Thriftyfun sometime.
(10/18/2009)

By Lorelei

My kitchen cabinets need some help. The doors/drawers are wood (oak), but the cabinet frames are wood on the front, but sides are veneer. I've looked in magazines and haven't seen anything like this yet. However, I thought I could remember seeing the cabinets re-done by painting the framed part of the cabinets and just refinishing the oak wood for the doors/drawers. Is that done or is that just tacky? Opinions please.

Thanks,
Kathy from Canton, NC

Answers: