Rehabilitating a Former Bait Dog

Scared Dog
A rescued former bait dog has experienced a horrific life prior to coming to your home. This is a guide about rehabilitating a former bait dog.

Wilbur is the sweetest most loving dog. I adopted him 6 months ago. Since then he attacked 2 separate dogs and then last night, he attacked my Cocker Spaniel, Grace. They've always gotten along. No fights or anything. She's doing OK after a trip to the ER, but I can't let this happen. He tore my thumb up as I was trying to get him off her. I love him to death and want to help him. Is there anything I can do or should I find him a home with no pets?

Your dog has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I'm sure he wants to just get along, but every once in a while he has flashbacks and sees those other dogs as his attackers and tormentors. So, in his mind, he is defending himself.

Unless you have experience with mentally traumatized dogs it's unlikely this will get better.

Do you know anyone who is very experienced with abused dogs? Unfortunately I think your dog needs someone who is more experienced to handle his issues. Otherwise, I'm afraid your Cocker Spaniel may end up injured or worse, or you could be a subject of a lawsuit by others if their dogs are harmed.

I would find this dog another home, and quickly! From what I know about the law, there is a "one bite" policy, and then the dog has to be put down. Take it to an animal shelter, where they will be sure to place him in a home where there are no other animals or children.

This dog is what Cesar Millan would call a 'Red Zone' dog, and him and other dog behaviourists and rehabilitators have special skills for rehabilitating these animals. YOu could watch past episodes of The Dog WHisperer, especially in regards to Red Zone dogs, to see how he does it.

IN general though I agree with the consensus, that unless you have the ability to rehabiliate him, he needs to be rehomed. They will try to adopt him out with a NO OTHER DOGS note on his file, or in a better case scenario he will go to a sanctuary. Worst case scenario, of course, he will end up in a kill shelter and be put down, but at the end of the day you probably need to look out for your own family first.

I would say find someone who is willing to take him that doesn't have any other animals or small children just to be on the safe side. This way no one else or other animals gets hurt and he also gets individual attention which just might be what he needs.

I would turn the dog over to a person who knows how to deal with such behaviors described. A soldier who suffered from PTSD needed a dog to help him and he also knew how to train dogs from his own family occupation. This man said he wanted a pit bull as he'd seen them in action during his service stint and he knew what to do. Check online for anyone who is a soldier requesting such a breed who knows how to work with a pit bull and train, so the dog will benefit a soldier and you won't need to concern yourself with future dog quarrels/bites. You'll also be contributing to a good cause and saving a dog's life from being put down.

We have a very lovable bait dog that was a member of the family before the children came to live with us. So far he has proven very protective of the children. What are the chances that will continue or that we might end up regretting taking the children while we still had the dog living with us. He has made his third year anniversary with us and the only problem he seems to have is with other dogs and a seizure disorder.

Answers

Depends what you mean by "very protective." Has he almost bitten? Could you call him off? Train your dog. Train him to LISTEN and OBEY.

The dog aggression is understandable but cannot be allowed to continue. If he attacks and kills a beloved pet he will be ordered to be put down. Regardless of his past, for his own good you must get him training. If you're worried, nervous or anxious he will bite somebody or kill a dog that's enough to justify getting him the help he needs.

He listens to me and one other adult, but that is it. He has attempted to attack other dogs, but he was muzzled because we know it can be a problem. At 95 pounds plus, I don't want to take a chance on a dog or person being hurt because of someone in his past. The most threat he is in the house is his tail, offer a treat and it can beat you to death even if it is his 15th one in an hour.

You really need the advice of a professional in dog behavior. This is a complicated situation, and the stakes are high, for you, the children, and the dog. Find a professional and have your dog evaluated before you make a decision. You really don't have enough information to make a decision. I agree with Abigail about the training. Good luck.

My wife and I found a dog in Hawaii on our honeymoon. He was starving and looked like he fought a boar. We took him to a vet and they said he looks like he was most likely used as a bait dog for fighting. We brought him home, and have been just fine till after over a month he killed my daughter's cat. Now I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

By Michael

Please don't give up on this pup. This is all he has been taught that the bigger you get, you try and kill the younger. They can be retrained with patience. When around a smaller animal stay close and any show of slightly hurting the smaller one. He is put aside in a kennel or private area. When he is gentle around the smaller animal give him treats for doing good. I did this with a golden that was pitbull bait. She now does great with smaller animals and even protects smaller animals. My girl is now 5 years old.

Didn't he show any signs of aggression before the kill? I'd ask my vet for the name of a dog trainer and watch him when you have him around other dogs or cats. If he starts to show aggression you'll have to retrain him.

Why don't you check with Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer? He has a web-site and would be my best bet for help.

I'm sorry to say that maybe you should let this dog go. The killing of the cat should be a warning of what he is capable of. Next time it could be someone's much loved pet, a small puppy or dog - or maybe a small child. The heartbreak that this could cause for the owners would be unbearable.