Rehabilitating a Former Bait Dog?

My wife and I found a dog in Hawaii on our honeymoon. He was starving and looked like he fought a boar. We took him to a vet and they said he looks like he was most likely used as a bait dog for fighting. We brought him home, and have been just fine till after over a month he killed my daughter's cat. Now I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

By Michael

Please don't give up on this pup. This is all he has been taught that the bigger you get, you try and kill the younger. They can be retrained with patience. When around a smaller animal stay close and any show of slightly hurting the smaller one. He is put aside in a kennel or private area. When he is gentle around the smaller animal give him treats for doing good. I did this with a golden that was pitbull bait. She now does great with smaller animals and even protects smaller animals. My girl is now 5 years old.

Didn't he show any signs of aggression before the kill? I'd ask my vet for the name of a dog trainer and watch him when you have him around other dogs or cats.

If he starts to show aggression you'll have to retrain him.

Why don't you check with Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer? He has a web-site and would be my best bet for help.

I'm sorry to say that maybe you should let this dog go. The killing of the cat should be a warning of what he is capable of. Next time it could be someone's much loved pet, a small puppy or dog - or maybe a small child. The heartbreak that this could cause for the owners would be unbearable.

Pets Dogs AdviceNovember 12, 2013
🍀
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Rehabilitating-a-Former-Bait-Dog.html