Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Leg Cramps

Many health concerns can cause leg cramps, especially at night. This is a guide about remedies for leg cramps.

August 22, 2016 Flag

I use to wake up at least 4 times a night with 1 to 5 charlie horses in my legs. They were so painful I would be screaming. Then a nurse told me what to do. Buy a brand new bar of soap, it must be white, like Ivory or Dove. Put it at the foot of the bed under your bottom sheet. It will work for 7 nights, then take it out and put a new one in. Sounds strange, but it works.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've been doing this for years, and I seldom get leg cramps. When I do, standing up makes them go away.

I don't bother to change the soap every week--I've been using the same bar for months now. I try not to forget it when I change the sheets.

I also keep a pair of white socks filled with soap scraps in a basket under my coffee table. When I get foot cramps, I slip them on and the cramp will be gone in a minute or two.

July 12, 2013 Flag

In my mid fifties, I started to get agonizing leg cramps in my calves and feet at night. I tried different remedies but could not eliminate them. I like to watch Korean Dramas, so I tried eating the Korean staple food, kimchi for fun. I noticed that when I ate a little kimchi, I did not get leg cramps.

Now I just eat two mouthfuls of kimchi each day and I am leg cramp free. Works like a miracle for me. Kimchi is very hot and spicy so you need to eat it, like you would a relish, with something. You can eat it with rice, eggs, meat, fish, tofu, or chicken or whatever, at any time of the day. Kimchi is is usually made with cabbage fermented with hot pepper. It is very high in nutrients, and can be easily absorbed in the stomach. I don't know why it works, it just does.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you Madelyn!

December 8, 2011 Flag

My legs tend to cramp at night. I tried elevating on a pillow but I always lost it at night. So I started putting my heavier reading pillow, the kind that fits behind you and props you up, under my legs at night. I never lose my pillow, and it has really helped with the leg cramp.

By ann from Climax, NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take a Tablespoon of regular yellow mustard and eat fast! or make a sandwich w/lots of Yellow Mustard. No more cramps! Try to eat things that have allot of vinegar in them, pickles, pickled cucumbers. I was having to eat a ton of pills at night, and then couldn't wake up the next day or hardly function. My personal experience, it is something you have at home, give it a honest week, and post back the results please!

It occured to me that my night cramps happened most often when I have been eating foods like eggs, tomatoes and proteins. I went online and looked for a list of acidic foods and found a website that gives a good idea of what foods are acidic and therefore should be eaten less often.

This may sound crazy but it actually works. My sister told me she had bad leg cramps that prevented a restful night's sleep. She put a bar of soap, any soap, under the top sheet. That's right, a bar of soap! For whatever reason, it works.

I have been having painful leg cramps, particularly at night, for years. I had tried just about everything and decided to try drinking apple cider vinegar, about a tablespoonful, just before bed and on rising. The cramps disappeared.

I had been getting a great deal of cramps in my hands and this tip has worked very well for me as . It is very simple, chew 2 Tums, or any antacid that is taken for an acid reflux or upset tum.

Is there something you can take to help prevent leg cramps?

By Doris from MI

Answer Was this helpful? 16
Best Answer

Have you tried increasing your calcium intake? I take calcium supplements, and whenever the leg cramps start up, I know that I have been skimping on the calcium! When I resume or increase the calcium, the leg cramps ease up greatly! Good luck!

Best Answer

Hylands Leg Cramp Remedy, available at Walmart. I suffered from leg cramps for years until I found this product.

Pat

May 10, 2011 Flag

I have been getting awakened 3 or 4 times a night with cramps at the front of my right leg at the shin bone, then it travels down to my foot and toes. Anyone else have this trouble?

By Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

That was happening with my mom, she found somewhere that it could be caused by lack of potassium, so now she eats a banana every night. Sounds weird, but it works. If I were you, I'd go to the doctor to rule out anything more serious.

Best Answer

I learned, while working in home care nursing, that night cramps can be caused by lack of calcium in the muscles. They begin to contract from this. Try taking calcium before bedtime. Warning: if this helps, stopping the calcium will bring them back again.

June 20, 2013 Flag

I suffer form night leg cramps. I have kidney disease which prevents taking potassium or magnesium. I need suggestions please.

By wilsonmargie70

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I suffered from severe leg cramps so bad that my legs would bruise. I found this solution to be skeptical until I tried it. Put a bar of Ivory soap down in your socks. I broke a bar in half for each leg. I could at first feel like one was coming on then it abruptly stopped. I swear by this. I have not had a cramp since. The soap has to be white and simple. Thats why I chose the Ivory soap. I found this on the internet. Try it even if you might be skeptical. What have you got to loose (except leg cramps). Hope this helps. Worked for me.

Tonic water with Quinine. Doesn't taste great but drink at least a half a mug full every evening.

August 25, 2016 Flag

I am looking for the recipe using apple cider vinegar, ginger juice, and garlic juice.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never heard of it being Amish but just mix apple cider vinegar and water in a 1 to 4 ratio.

I can't find the recipe, but I have been using Caleb Treeze old amish recipe, Stops Leg cramps, and it is working amazingly well. I would love to be able to make my own.

I'm looking for recipe for a vinegar, garlic, and ginger concoction for leg cramps, any ideas? Thanks for any help.

By Janet from AR

Best Answer

I've had leg cramps since I was a kid ( half a century ago) and find them worse in the summer. A doctor once told me that not keeping hydrated enough can cause a potassium imbalance.

What works for me if I'm getting a run on those charley horses is to increase my water intake; eating a banana and drinking a little OJ also helps.

I also used to have severe leg cramps and muscle spasms. Nothing worked until I put a bar of soap (Dial) between my mattress and bottom sheet. I change it every couple of months. I've been told that it's just a placebo effect. Well, if it is I don't care...it works. But it's just like everything else; what works for some may not work for others. Worth a try.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

May 17, 2010 Flag

My husband has kidney disease and is at about 11 percent right now. He's been suffering from severe leg cramps at night and hurting. He has a history of high potassium so they put him on meds to help keep it under control. I'm just wondering if any body else knows anything on this subject, or has any ideas.

By sensible fromKnox, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I had leg cramps nearly all my life, well before I had kidney disease and I buy the homeopathic remedy, Hylands Leg Cramp Remedy, at Walmart. It has a small amount of quinine which relieves leg cramps quickly for me, hope it works for you. I also eat bananas for the potassium.

Pat

I recently took my mother to a cardiologist. She frequently has leg cramps. He suggested drinking a glass of quinine (tonic) water each night before bedtime. It has helped reduce the leg cramps.

September 16, 2014 Flag

My legs are so sore from leg cramps at night and my hands also. There are not many meds I can take as I have a very bad stomach, and tons of allergies. I tried Biofreeze rub, ice pack, and heat with no results. I need help. I can't take meds that cause blurred vision as I only have one eye.

By Kay A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are literally thousands of people who swear by vinegar.

Try drinking Tonic Water. Regular tonic water or diet, they work equally well. Take about 1/2 cup before going to bed, or you can take a sip when the leg cramps start. A doctor recommended this to a friend of mine and it works for both of us.

October 1, 2014 Flag

My age is 65 years, I have been a sports man and athlete my whole life. I regularly used to drink alcohol. I was a regular victim of cramps, sometimes in the back while reversing the car, at times in my tummy while laughing and many a time due to any body movement in any place of my body. Now that I have controlled my intake of alcohol, I still get cramps in my legs especially my calves and feet while I am fast asleep and have to jump out of bed and try different postures to rid the cramps. Please guide me as to how control these painful cramps.

By Sheryar from Quetta, Pakistan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Drink more water, you are dehydrated.

Leg cramps can be caused by a pinched nerve in the low back. Have yourself checked by a chiropractor. They can help without medication or surgery in many cases.

December 15, 2008 Flag

What diabetes medicine is the person on that sent in feedback about the power drink by Coke? She had leg cramps. I am having the same thing on Januvia.

Faye from AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My diabetes medicine, Metformin, depletes my Vitamin B-12 out of my body. It might cause other vitamin deficiencies, that I don't know about. I do have toe and leg cramps when I don't take my Magnesium and Calcium supplements. I'm taking 2 a day of each, once in the morning, once at night. As long as I do, my backaches tend to go away.

I wholeheartedly support the multivitamin idea. However, if potassium supplements are unavailable or beyond the budget, I'm told bananas are a prime source of potassium. I found a site loaded with info on foods that are rich in potassium: go to

www.hoptechno.com/book29p.htm

Hope this helps!

June 20, 2010 Flag

For aches, cramps and pains in the legs, take off the wrapper from a bar of soap (any brand) and place it near the bottom of your bed between the top and bottom sheets. It will relieve the problem so you can sleep. I keep a bar in my bed at all times and it works great for me.

There were a couple nights when laying down to sleep I couldn't take a breath in without unbelievable pain in my rib area for whatever reason. I took the bar of soap and placed it near my ribs and it worked for that also. The pain was gone within 2 minutes. It will not hurt to try it, unless, of course, you are allergic to soap or have a medical reason not to.

Source: The "Dr's" TV show

By Suzi Q from Agawam, MA

Answers:

Stopping Leg Cramps

This has worked for me, also I think drinking more water will also help. (05/10/2010)

By deebomb

Stopping Leg Cramps

I saw this in Dr. Gotts column in the newspaper 3-4 years ago and it sure has worked for me, DH, and daughter. I cut one bar in 3rds or even 1/4ths and use the smaller pieces near my shoulder and both legs, under the bottom sheet. You can also use those hotel soaps. (I change mine about every 3 months.) If you are bothered by any pain, try it. I know some people say if doesn't work, but it does for us and many of our friends. (05/11/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

Stopping Leg Cramps

Tonic water works! I keep a bottle next to my bed. (05/13/2010)

By ILuvDobes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Heard on a Dr Oz show: Always keep water and some Himalayan or Celtic salt (not the white factory table salt) at bedside. An hour or so before bedtime, take a pinch, followed by a glass of warm water. Those salts have the trace minerals necessary for the body. Recent studies have shown that we eat enough calcium rich foods, but we lack magnesium, especially after age 45-50. About 3 years ago, I experienced the occasional Charlie horse (did not know what it was, then) and then a severe muscle spasm in one leg. I was scared, as I had no idea what it was. Remembering what I heard on Dr Oz's show, I took a pinch of Himalayan salt , followed by warm water. In seconds, the muscles were relaxed. I started taking a daily dose of magnesium, zinc and vitamin D about 1 hour before bedtime and since then, I have never experienced that type of discomfort. I sometimes go thru periods when I take daily doses of ALL MINERAL capsules. Recently, I heard a naturopathic doctor , on TV, saying that most of our minor discomforts, stem from the lack of minerals in our system.

How can I stop night leg cramps?

I would love a home remedy or supplement suggestion for toe, foot, and leg cramps. I have been getting all of these with increased frequency.

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 17, 2012
woman trying to sleep
Home Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Leg of Lamb
Leg of Lamb Recipes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 2:32:58 AM on 10.0.2.131 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.