Browsing: Remedies for Leg Cramps

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Leg Cramps

Many health concerns can cause leg cramps, especially at night. This is a guide about remedies for leg cramps.

Woman with a leg cramp.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 22, 2016 Flag

I use to wake up at least 4 times a night with 1 to 5 charlie horses in my legs. They were so painful I would be screaming. Then a nurse told me what to do. Buy a brand new bar of soap, it must be white, like Ivory or Dove. Put it at the foot of the bed under your bottom sheet. It will work for 7 nights, then take it out and put a new one in. Sounds strange, but it works.

February 5, 2011 Flag

Is there something you can take to help prevent leg cramps?

By Doris from MI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

For several years I had terrible leg cramps almost nightly. After trying all the "folk" remedies and my doctor's suggestions (I'm on several prescription medications and can't use some of the supplements), I discovered that doing some leg stretches before going to bed have eliminated the cramps. All I do is stand on one foot, raise the other leg behind me, grasp that ankle with my hand and pull up until I feel the muscles stretch. Be sure to keep the bent knee perpendicular to the floor. Hold the stretch for 20 - 30 seconds, then do the other leg.

If you have trouble balancing on one foot as I do, just hold onto something to steady yourself.

Ive had leg cramps since I was a baby (6mo old or so). I have always taken aspirin for them. Aspirin thins your blood which allows it to flow more freely through your muscles relieving the cramp. If aspirin isn't friendly for you, just keep your leg perfectly still and slightly elevated for about 30 mins or until it goes away. I saw suggestions for stretches... stretching is awesome, however cramps happen for different reasons, for me, stretching and walking make the leg cramps worse... Pharmaceuticals are usually always bad because they are generally synthetic (avoid those), but aspirin is derived from a plant and has other beneficial effects. Hope this helps. Good luck!

July 12, 2013 Flag

In my mid fifties, I started to get agonizing leg cramps in my calves and feet at night. I tried different remedies but could not eliminate them. I like to watch Korean Dramas, so I tried eating the Korean staple food, kimchi for fun. I noticed that when I ate a little kimchi, I did not get leg cramps.

Now I just eat two mouthfuls of kimchi each day and I am leg cramp free. Works like a miracle for me. Kimchi is very hot and spicy so you need to eat it, like you would a relish, with something. You can eat it with rice, eggs, meat, fish, tofu, or chicken or whatever, at any time of the day. Kimchi is is usually made with cabbage fermented with hot pepper. It is very high in nutrients, and can be easily absorbed in the stomach. I don't know why it works, it just does.

May 10, 2011 Flag

I have been getting awakened 3 or 4 times a night with cramps at the front of my right leg at the shin bone, then it travels down to my foot and toes. Anyone else have this trouble?

By Karen

Best Answer

Leg cramps are also caused by dehydration. Be sure you are drinking enough water. Not soda, coffee, or tea. Those do not count. You must drink water.

I have this to my leg feels like its going to snap off sideways my doctor said I'm dehydrated

December 8, 2011 Flag

My legs tend to cramp at night. I tried elevating on a pillow but I always lost it at night. So I started putting my heavier reading pillow, the kind that fits behind you and props you up, under my legs at night.

July 26, 2012 Flag

It occured to me that my night cramps happened most often when I have been eating foods like eggs, tomatoes and proteins. I went online and looked for a list of acidic foods and found a website that gives a good idea of what foods are acidic and therefore should be eaten less often.

August 25, 2008 Flag

My dh and I had a bad case each of the "twitches" the other night. Neither his legs nor mine would stop twitching for quite some time, and even getting up and walking around did not help. It made sleeping impossible until finally our legs calmed down.

Is there anything that anyone could recommend. Please be aware that I live in Oz, and what you might find common and everyday in your country may be different or not available in mine. I'd really welcome any suggestions. Thank you for your time and trouble.

Leonie from Warrnambool, Victoria, AUSTRALIA

Best Answer

The fix may depend on what type of problem is causing the twitching.

For me, magnesium tablets and icing daily helps a bit to relax the muscle...but I have a compressed nerve under my calf. This twitching is caused when I feel like my leg is like a winch being pulled tighter, and tighter, and tighter until it explodes!

Other suggestions by my doctor was tonic water (also known as quinine water) nightly, daily doses of major electrolytes (in my case, drinking a 12 oz portion of the lower calorie Gatorade), etc.

In my younger days, I would have muscle cramping that would be severe enough to lead to twitching. Potassium usually helped.

But I would strongly suggest visiting a doctor when possible. There are many different causes of leg twitching and you might need physical therapy to correct them as well.

Vitamin D3 has worked well for me.

August 25, 2016 Flag

I am looking for the recipe using apple cider vinegar, ginger juice, and garlic juice.

I have never heard of it being Amish but just mix apple cider vinegar and water in a 1 to 4 ratio.

November 28, 2012 Flag

This may sound crazy but it actually works. My sister told me she had bad leg cramps that prevented a restful night's sleep. She put a bar of soap, any soap, under the top sheet. That's right, a bar of soap! For whatever reason, it works.

June 20, 2013 Flag

I suffer form night leg cramps. I have kidney disease which prevents taking potassium or magnesium. I need suggestions please.

By wilsonmargie70

Tonic water with Quinine. Doesn't taste great but drink at least a half a mug full every evening.

I agree, tonic water is a life saver

May 2, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for recipe for a vinegar, garlic, and ginger concoction for leg cramps, any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 17, 2012
woman trying to sleep
Home Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Leg of Lamb
Leg of Lamb Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 20, 2016 at 8:33:22 AM on 10.0.2.4 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.