Remedies for Leg Cramps

Category Home Remedies
Woman with a leg cramp.
Many health concerns can cause leg cramps, especially at night. This is a guide about remedies for leg cramps.

In my mid fifties, I started to get agonizing leg cramps in my calves and feet at night. I tried different remedies but could not eliminate them. I like to watch Korean Dramas, so I tried eating the Korean staple food, kimchi for fun. I noticed that when I ate a little kimchi, I did not get leg cramps.

Now I just eat two mouthfuls of kimchi each day and I am leg cramp free. Works like a miracle for me. Kimchi is very hot and spicy so you need to eat it, like you would a relish, with something. You can eat it with rice, eggs, meat, fish, tofu, or chicken or whatever, at any time of the day. Kimchi is is usually made with cabbage fermented with hot pepper. It is very high in nutrients, and can be easily absorbed in the stomach. I don't know why it works, it just does.

My legs tend to cramp at night. I tried elevating on a pillow but I always lost it at night. So I started putting my heavier reading pillow, the kind that fits behind you and props you up, under my legs at night. I never lose my pillow, and it has really helped with the leg cramp.

By ann from Climax, NC

After much puzzlement, it occured to me that my night cramps happened most often when I have been eating foods like eggs, tomatoes and proteins (meat, dairy, etc.). I went online and looked for a list of acidic foods and found a website that gives a good idea of what foods are acidic and therefore should be eaten less often. It also lists which foods are more alkaline and therefore should be eaten more of.

I hope that others who suffer night cramps will benefit from a change to their diet, it is helping me. Fair warning, night cramps can be so strong they'll break your legs, so do be careful about what you eat. I'm fortunate to have very dense bones, so mine didn't break, but they would have on someone who's bones are porous. Hard lesson learned, for me.

Source: an online search which led me to this website (there are others): http://rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

By Cornelia from OR

This may sound crazy but it actually works. My sister told me she had bad leg cramps that prevented a restful night's sleep. She put a bar of soap, any soap, under the top sheet. That's right, a bar of soap! For whatever reason, it works.

I really couldn't believe it until I tried it myself. You have to do it to believe it but it works! Just sharing for anyone else that has leg cramps.

I use to wake up at least 4 times a night with 1 to 5 charlie horses in my legs. They were so painful I would be screaming. Then a nurse told me what to do. Buy a brand new bar of soap, it must be white, like Ivory or Dove. Put it at the foot of the bed under your bottom sheet. It will work for 7 nights, then take it out and put a new one in. Sounds strange, but it works.

I have been having painful leg cramps, particularly at night, for years. I had tried just about everything and decided to try drinking apple cider vinegar, about a tablespoonful, just before bed and on rising. The cramps disappeared. I took this for a couple of months and then stopped. I haven't had any cramps since. I like sour things so I could take it straight but you could add honey and a little water.

I had been getting a great deal of cramps in my hands and this tip has worked very well for me as . It is very simple, chew 2 Tums, or any antacid that is taken for an acid reflux or upset tum.

Is there something you can take to help prevent leg cramps?

By Doris from MI

Answer Was this helpful? 16
Best Answer

My mother suffers from night leg cramps and says drinking tonic water really helps her. It is usually found in the pop section of the grocery store.

Best Answer

You should have a diet that has adequate potassium (potatoes, bananas, milk, oranges, prunes, spinach, tomatoes are a few). If you are starting a new exercise regimen or newly active then it may be that your body is depleted of potassium. This may be just a symptom of a serious malady, which means it may be time to ck with your MD.

Best Answer

Have you tried increasing your calcium intake? I take calcium supplements, and whenever the leg cramps start up, I know that I have been skimping on the calcium! When I resume or increase the calcium, the leg cramps ease up greatly! Good luck!

Best Answer

Hylands Leg Cramp Remedy, available at Walmart. I suffered from leg cramps for years until I found this product.

Pat

Best Answer

For several years I had terrible leg cramps almost nightly. After trying all the "folk" remedies and my doctor's suggestions (I'm on several prescription medications and can't use some of the supplements), I discovered that doing some leg stretches before going to bed have eliminated the cramps. All I do is stand on one foot, raise the other leg behind me, grasp that ankle with my hand and pull up until I feel the muscles stretch. Be sure to keep the bent knee perpendicular to the floor. Hold the stretch for 20 - 30 seconds, then do the other leg.

If you have trouble balancing on one foot as I do, just hold onto something to steady yourself.

I have been getting awakened 3 or 4 times a night with cramps at the front of my right leg at the shin bone, then it travels down to my foot and toes. Anyone else have this trouble?

By Karen

Best Answer

Try calcium, Magnesium, zinc.

Best Answer

That was happening with my mom, she found somewhere that it could be caused by lack of potassium, so now she eats a banana every night. Sounds weird, but it works. If I were you, I'd go to the doctor to rule out anything more serious.

Best Answer

I learned, while working in home care nursing, that night cramps can be caused by lack of calcium in the muscles. They begin to contract from this. Try taking calcium before bedtime. Warning: if this helps, stopping the calcium will bring them back again.

Best Answer

Leg cramps are also caused by dehydration. Be sure you are drinking enough water. Not soda, coffee, or tea. Those do not count. You must drink water.

I suffer form night leg cramps. I have kidney disease which prevents taking potassium or magnesium. I need suggestions please.

By wilsonmargie70

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Try tonic water with quinine. Helps my husband every time.

Tonic water with quinine will help but so will eating a banana. If you eat the every other day or so you shouldn't have them anymore.

The answer is quinine or a product with with a good percent of quinine in it. The dose is ONE capsule or tablet in any 24 hour period only! More than one and you will get dizzy and/or get a ringing in your ears. I know this first hand. Yes, it is bitter but it does work! You may want to take it with a glass of water.

I know this sounds crazy, but try putting a small bar of soap between the mattress and bottom sheet. It actually helps!

I have found moist heat is very helpful in relieving cramps. I either take a hot shower or use a moist heating pad. If you make a home made heating pad with long grain rice, it makes an excellent moist heating pad.

Hope this is helpful,

Ann

I suffered from severe leg cramps so bad that my legs would bruise. I found this solution to be skeptical until I tried it. Put a bar of Ivory soap down in your socks. I broke a bar in half for each leg. I could at first feel like one was coming on then it abruptly stopped. I swear by this. I have not had a cramp since. The soap has to be white and simple. Thats why I chose the Ivory soap. I found this on the internet. Try it even if you might be skeptical. What have you got to loose (except leg cramps). Hope this helps. Worked for me.

I'm looking for recipe for a vinegar, garlic, and ginger concoction for leg cramps, any ideas? Thanks for any help.

By Janet from AR

Best Answer

I've had leg cramps since I was a kid ( half a century ago) and find them worse in the summer. A doctor once told me that not keeping hydrated enough can cause a potassium imbalance.

What works for me if I'm getting a run on those charley horses is to increase my water intake; eating a banana and drinking a little OJ also helps.

My husband has kidney disease and is at about 11 percent right now. He's been suffering from severe leg cramps at night and hurting. He has a history of high potassium so they put him on meds to help keep it under control. I'm just wondering if any body else knows anything on this subject, or has any ideas.

By sensible fromKnox, TN

Best Answer

I had leg cramps nearly all my life, well before I had kidney disease and I buy the homeopathic remedy, Hylands Leg Cramp Remedy, at Walmart. It has a small amount of quinine which relieves leg cramps quickly for me, hope it works for you. I also eat bananas for the potassium.

Pat

What diabetes medicine is the person on that sent in feedback about the power drink by Coke? She had leg cramps. I am having the same thing on Januvia.

Faye from AR

Best Answer

My diabetes medicine, Metformin, depletes my Vitamin B-12 out of my body. It might cause other vitamin deficiencies, that I don't know about. I do have toe and leg cramps when I don't take my Magnesium and Calcium supplements. I'm taking 2 a day of each, once in the morning, once at night. As long as I do, my backaches tend to go away.

My legs are so sore from leg cramps at night and my hands also. There are not many meds I can take as I have a very bad stomach, and tons of allergies. I tried Biofreeze rub, ice pack, and heat with no results. I need help. I can't take meds that cause blurred vision as I only have one eye.

By Kay A

I too suffer bad night cramps. I tried the the vitamin magnesium and vitamin do. Although the have not completely gone, it has helped.

My age is 65 years, I have been a sports man and athlete my whole life. I regularly used to drink alcohol. I was a regular victim of cramps, sometimes in the back while reversing the car, at times in my tummy while laughing and many a time due to any body movement in any place of my body. Now that I have controlled my intake of alcohol, I still get cramps in my legs especially my calves and feet while I am fast asleep and have to jump out of bed and try different postures to rid the cramps. Please guide me as to how control these painful cramps.

By Sheryar from Quetta, Pakistan

I am looking for the recipe using apple cider vinegar, ginger juice, and garlic juice.

For aches, cramps and pains in the legs, take off the wrapper from a bar of soap (any brand) and place it near the bottom of your bed between the top and bottom sheets. It will relieve the problem so you can sleep. I keep a bar in my bed at all times and it works great for me.

There were a couple nights when laying down to sleep I couldn't take a breath in without unbelievable pain in my rib area for whatever reason. I took the bar of soap and placed it near my ribs and it worked for that also. The pain was gone within 2 minutes. It will not hurt to try it, unless, of course, you are allergic to soap or have a medical reason not to.

Source: The "Dr's" TV show

By Suzi Q from Agawam, MA

Answers:

Stopping Leg Cramps

This has worked for me, also I think drinking more water will also help. (05/10/2010)

By deebomb

Stopping Leg Cramps

I saw this in Dr. Gotts column in the newspaper 3-4 years ago and it sure has worked for me, DH, and daughter. I cut one bar in 3rds or even 1/4ths and use the smaller pieces near my shoulder and both legs, under the bottom sheet. You can also use those hotel soaps. (I change mine about every 3 months.) If you are bothered by any pain, try it. I know some people say if doesn't work, but it does for us and many of our friends. (05/11/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

Stopping Leg Cramps

Tonic water works! I keep a bottle next to my bed. (05/13/2010)

By ILuvDobes

How can I stop night leg cramps?

By Sam from Spring Hill, FL

Answers:

Stopping Leg Cramps

I picked up Hyland's Leg Cramp pills at Walmart and they really work. I think it's the quinine in them. It is homeopathic. If you don't want to take pills you can drink tonic water which also has quinine. (06/20/2010)

By AvaElizabeth

Stopping Leg Cramps

Before taking any over the counter stuff, if you are taking prescription meds, consult with your doctor. My internist has me on two fluid pills a day, and told me to take potassium, and magnesium supplements. They help quite a bit, but there are still times that I wake up with leg cramps. I have learned to live with it, and if I am able to get out of bed quick enough, I can walk the cramps off. (06/20/2010)

By redhatterb

Stopping Leg Cramps

Keep yourself hydrated with water more than other fluids with caffeine and sugar. My leg cramps always return when my body fluids are low. With the summer heat, it's important to drink more water than usual. (06/20/2010)

By Lorelei

Stopping Leg Cramps

Eat a banana everyday. Bananas are full of potassium which helps to stop cramping. (06/21/2010)

By Patty Lynn

Stopping Leg Cramps

I guess I went through about everything the doctors could think of plus everything all my friends and acquaintances had ever heard about and nothing ever worked until my good doctor asked me if I'd ever tried tonic water with quinine? I hadn't and he suggested I might try it.

That night I drank about 8 ounces of just plain tonic water with quinine, and I had no leg or foot cramps at all. The next night I drank just 4 ounces of the tonic water, and again, no cramps. That was about 6 or 7 years ago, and I've not suffered any cramps since I took that first 8 ounces. Now, I only take 4 ounces when I just feel a tiny twinge of a cramp and it never materializes.

I know now that it's the quinine that does the trick, but the tonic water just makes it so much easier to take and it's readily available at almost every grocery store, every 7-Eleven or fast food market around the country. It's certainly cheap enough and it took a really good doctor to let me in on the secret rather than writing another prescription for more medicine that wasn't going to work either.

It may not be for everybody, but it was most definitely for me and for at least another 50 or more people that I've shared the information with since. Just to think about how long I suffered with the excruciating pain of nightly Charley horses or leg and feet cramps almost makes me angry with the entire medical profession. It was just too simple, but it took one good old-fashioned doctor to set me straight. God bless him!

(06/22/2010)

By PookaRina

Stopping Leg Cramps

Besides remaining 'healthy hydrated' I found, for me anyway, that when the cramps start I rearrange my hips on the sleeping surface even just an inch or two makes a difference. I also found that any jammie bottoms that are too tight, waist band not right above the hip bones or that bunch up in the thigh area at all make a huge difference. Worse comes to worse I simply get out of bed and pace the floor slowly and quietly cursing for a minute or two and then crawl back in bed after they subside and fall right back to sleep. ;-)

Potassium does make a difference, but do not take a 'supplement' without a doctor's supervision because too much potassium is not a good thing if you have any sort of heart or lung issues. (06/22/2010)

By Deeli

Stopping Leg Cramps

I know this sounds a bit nuts, but It works for many of us. Unwrap a bar of soap, cut it into 4-6 pieces and place just 2 of them under the bottom sheet near your legs. One on each side of the bed. Wrap up the other pieces and in 3-4 months use to change the ones in your bed. It doesn't matter the cost or brand of soap. I usually buy the 3 packages of Ivory. Try it for a month. I think you will be surprised.

GG Vi (06/23/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

Stopping Leg Cramps

Get to a Dr. and get checked for diabetes! Diabetes causes dehydration too. I found out I was diabetic and once my sugars were under control, my leg cramps disappeared. Please get checked out! (06/23/2010)

By suem1009

Stopping Leg Cramps

I had charlie horses almost every night from my thighs to my toes! I brought it up at my lupus support group and almost everyone responded at once with the same remedy, malic acid (from apples) and magnesium.
I found the supplements at a local store (some have them already mixed together and some brands are separate). I started taking them and by the 2nd night was over the problem!
If I start to get a cramp any where I immediately take them again for a week or so and they go away for months or years.

Good luck!

(06/25/2010)

By wolfbytez

I would love a home remedy or supplement suggestion for toe, foot, and leg cramps. I have been getting all of these with increased frequency. My second toes bend down. I get them in the arch of my foot, and the sides and back of my ankle and calf.

I should mention that the circulation in this leg is compromised from an accident years ago. It happens in my good leg on occasion, also. These cramps make me go from a sound sleep, off the bed and standing in less than a second. They are that bad. Does anyone have any tips for relief from these? Please help.

By Sandy from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers:

Stopping Leg Cramps

I share your pain, I have had them so bad that I thought I was going to pass out. The only thing that remotely lessened the pain was sticking my leg in COLD water under the tub faucet. I find that if I drink more fluids I don't get them as badly if at all. I hope this helps. (12/06/2009)

By mamie11152

Stopping Leg Cramps

Leg cramps and Charlie horses can be very painful. I found what really works for me is to add calcium, magnesium, and potassium to my diet. You can eat a banana for the potassium, and take a vitamin supplement that has calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium. The vitamin D helps your body absorb the calcium. Also, if you are taking any medications make sure that you take them at different times of the day and they don't interfere with each other. This works for me and also helps with my bones. Good luck and I hope this helps. (12/06/2009)

By Busy Me

Stopping Leg Cramps

Both me and my partner get these nasty cramps too! Aren't they the worse thing!? They wake us up from a sound sleep! and they bend our toes into strange contortions! We've found that we get them most often when we are dehydrated and/or lacking sleep.

For mild leg cramps during the summer when it's super hot and I'm sweating a lot, I've found that if I eat something salty like a small bag of chips or if I salt my food or put a dash of salt into my drink (I rarely use salt) that I won't get the mid-calf cramps. Also, Calcium and especially Potassium is important to help stop leg cramps, try potassium supplements and/or eating several bananas each day.

With me, it really helps my severe leg and foot cramps if I get up and walk around. Also, sometimes I'll put a heating pad on them. My partner try's to relax and thinks "I can stop these with my mind" as he takes deep breaths and thinks "these will go away" and this is what stops them for him. The worse thing is to think about the pain because think about the pain makes it intensify!

I've also found that if you face a wall and stand with your feet back 2 or 3 feet from the wall then lean into the wall with your hands flat against the wall and slowly (keeping your body straight) lean into the wall by bending your elbows that this will stretch your calves. (I was told to do this by a foot doctor) I do this during or after I have one of these cramp episodes, but If you do this leaning exercise daily or even twice or 3 times a day, then your calf muscles will get stretched out and be more flexible which might help your cramps. Also it's best for your calves if you don't wear high heals because wearing heals also will make your calf muscles shorten. When my mom wore high heals to work every day, she couldn't wear regular shoes on weekends without her calves hurting.

* You can also buy a product called "Morton Lite Salt" this is 50-50% of regular salt and potassium salt... You might want to use this in place of regular salt.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Lite_Salt.htm

PS: About your leg with poor circulation. It might help if you have someone (or yourself) gently massages the leg every night before sleep because massage increases circulation. Another thing that may help is if you take a towel that's been put in hot tap water then wrung out. First make sure this hot-wet towel isn't too hot for your skin, then wrap the hot towel around your calf. Next, wrap clear cling wrap or a plastic bag around it. Lastly add another dry towel and wrap this around the plastic. The last towel will help hold the heat in. If you to this nightly before bed with the leg elevated while watching TV or reading it will help with circulation as will any exercise for that area. (12/06/2009)

By Cyinda

Stopping Leg Cramps

There is a simple remedy for your cramps and charlies. Go to any health food store of a large grocery that has everything {I buy my supplements at fred Meyer, aka Krouger} in the health food section. It is called M and M or Malic Acid and Magnesium and works wonders to stop the cramps completely.

Malic acid is from fruit, mostly apples. This was the best buy I ever made! I have lupus and MS and they both can cause the cramps, I would get them from my waist down to my toes, both legs and would just stuff a pillow in my face and scream, the M and M stopped them completely! {and no side effects either} (12/06/2009)

By wolfbytez

Stopping Leg Cramps

This happens to me, also. Sometimes it's caused from a low potassium level. Other times it's a sign that you need to drink more water. Try this exercise: With your leg straight, place your heel against a wall or doorway where the floor and wall meet. Then bend your foot at the ankle towards you to stretch the back of your legs at the calves. Also, I read that when sleeping, use a pillow between your knees and ankles- for some reason, this seems to help. (12/06/2009)

By tismom

Stopping Leg Cramps

Well, I've read about the dill pickle remedy, and have nothing to say against it at all. Salt lack can cause leg cramps. So can potassium, and possibly magnesium or mag/calcium.

If it were me, I'd get a glass of orange juice with calcium, put in two dashes of salt, and take 1 magnesium or calcium/mag/vit D pill. It covers the minerals associated with cramps, and gives you sodium and potassium [oranges]. Keep oranges, tomatoes, bananas, and potatoes (fresh forms) in your diet. I have personally found these things to help. I get leg cramps just now and then, usually when it's been hot and I've sweat a lot, which loses both salt and potassium. (ingredients in gatorade).

I've also read that plain yellow mustard helps.So maybe make a sandwich to go with that oj cocktail. (12/07/2009)

By PIKKA

Stopping Leg Cramps

A banana a day will help provide potassium. But when you are in agony with the leg cramps you don't want to wait for nutrients to be assimilated into your system. Try rubbing your legs, feet and ankles with Vicks Vaporub and then put on some high tube socks. Do this at bedtime, and you should be fine in the morning. (12/07/2009)

By MartyD

Stopping Leg Cramps

Minerals like calcium and magnesium, magnesium is a natural relaxer. Also when there is injury, you need more.... Potassium, which you can get from the vitamin stores, it will make a big difference. I can't stand bananas, besides, they can be fattening from so many carbs and there isn't much in one banana. You may need as much as 1000 mg. I have many health issues and need this much often. No one can eat nothing but bananas. (12/09/2009)

By c t

Stopping Leg Cramps

Very simple and safe, get a prescription from your doctor for some quinine tablets. It works right away. It's a safe medicine and it works. (12/09/2009)

By Saxberg

Stopping Leg Cramps

You might want to try taking epsom salt baths. The body absorbs some magnesium through the skin. Follow the package directions.

It's said to be quite relaxing, so I'd suggest taking them before going to bed at night.
(12/09/2009)

By Contester

Stopping Leg Cramps

If you don't like to take Quinine tablets try tonic Water. I drink a can of tonic water before going to bed and it really helps. Sometimes when I have problems with my legs in the daytime I drink tonic water(it has quinine in it). It may take 1/2 hour to work but it is good. At first you may have to mix it with orange juice or other better tasting fuids because the quinine in the tonic water is very bitter. (12/09/2009)

By ritaannette

Stopping Leg Cramps

Please, before you try these remedies, get a checkup from your doctor, especially a blood test. Certain diseases don't display much in the body, but they do produce leg cramps, and if you have kidney issues, most pickles are to be strictly avoided, as is salt.

My leg cramps have stopped since I lowered my blood pressure to normal. check yours and make sure it's normal. If it isn't, get yourself down to under 1500mgs of salt a day (even if you're healthy, you're body will appreciate it and you will, too) get it down and see if that works. (12/09/2009)

By nekocat

Stopping Leg Cramps

Talk to your doctor! It could be so many different things causing it!

I've had trouble with foot cramps since I was a child and they went away when I got lots of exercise and ate well balanced food but now I have emphysema so circulation is a mess so they've come back even worse than when a child.

One thing I do that helps a great deal every time when awakened from them is adjust the way I am laying and relax. Most of the time it's just a matter of adjusting my hips an inch. If the cramps are really bad I press that foot or leg against the wall, bed post or even wrap my foot tightly against the blanket and keep the foot straight instead of in a relaxed position and then breathe deep, relax and it goes away within a minute or two. (12/09/2009)

By Deeli

Stopping Leg Cramps

Be sure to call your doctor as this can be a symptom of a mineral deficiency. (12/10/2009)

By Carol in PA

Stopping Leg Cramps

Tonic water. (12/10/2009)

By Beth

Stopping Leg Cramps

Sometimes that is usually a sign that your potassium or magnesium is low in your blood system, go see a doctor and have your electrolytes checked. (12/10/2009)

By sickandsexy

Stopping Leg Cramps

Check out earthclinic.com for home remedies from folks all around the world. I've used it quite a lot.

I know calcium helps with muscle spasms in my back, also.

Good luck! (12/10/2009)

By Gina J.

Stopping Leg Cramps

Wow I just wanted to say thank you everyone for all of the helpful responses. I do eat bananas, and I have been taking an occasional potassium tablet. I'm going to increase my fluids because I know I don't drink enough.
Sandy/Pittsburgh (12/10/2009)

By Sandy/Pittsburgh

Stopping Leg Cramps

I have had severe cramping all over my body since 1991. FMS/CFS, etc. My doctor recommended taking Magnesium supplements (with Malic Acid is best) and Vitamin D at the same time. I read in my research that Magnesium and Valerian Root together make a wonderful muscle relaxer. I use all three together and get wonderful relief.

Wonder Laboratories sells the combo in one pill at $1.00 per pill. They do offer free samples if you want to try the combo before buying. Inexpensive if you shop at Walmart like I do. Works on muscle aches and pains after overworking. Also, the pain associated with low pressure fronts moving into your area. Eases tension headaches. Valerian Root will mix with most other medications.

Check with your pharmacist to be sure. My son's pain clinic has him taking the same thing. Doctors now use Magnesium on women in labor. Hope this helps others like it has me. Merry Christmas! (12/15/2009)

By CAMERINQUINN

Stopping Leg Cramps

Thank you for the info. I was at Walmart just an hour ago. With the holidays, I'm sure I'm going back real soon. I was taking potassium thinking that would help. I was still cramping up. I already take Calcium with D. I had forgotten about the salt remedy. I really appreciate all of the help I received. I haven't slept the night through in weeks because of these cramps. (12/16/2009)

By Sandy/Pittsburgh

Stopping Leg Cramps

I forgot, Merry Christmas everyone! (12/16/2009)

By Sandy/Pittsburgh

I get leg cramps at night, even though I take calcium. I read that if you put a bar of soap, preferably Dial, under your top sheet near your feet the cramps will go away.

My husband has experienced some bad leg cramps at night during the past couple of months. Somewhere in the deep recesses of my senior brain I had "filed" this homegrown remedy.

What is good for leg cramps?

If you have leg cramps at nighttime, while trying to sleep, keep a salt shaker on your nightstand.