Removing Acrylic Paint From Clothing

lots of paint spilled on jeans
Once this paint has dried it can be nearly impossible to remove from many fabrics. This is a guide about removing acrylic paint from clothing.

How do I take off craft paint on clothes?

By Irene from Highland, CA

Best Answer

Once acrylic paint gets on fabric, you can't get it off. It's permanant. Works better than dye if you want to color a shirt or something. It can actually make fabric last longer, takes less time to wear out.

Best Answer

We had an small business of t-shirt printing before. Based in my experience there is no remedy for removing craft acrylic paint for clothes specially for those nylon and cotton clothes.

My painters had to come and redo all my trim after we moved in. The trim is white high gloss acrylic. I just got out my new red ballroom gown for a big event and found it has paint dots on an area approx. 4x6 right in the front! It's 100% Polyester that is iridescent red with bead and sequin work. Tag says "Do not wash, do not dry clean. Only professional spot clean". Not even sure where to take it. There is an area in the front of the dress (a 4x6 area) with about 10 small paint dots and one larger paint dot. All extremely noticeable on red. Any suggestions? My biggest concern is the colorfastness of the material. Help! This was an extremely expensive ball gown that still has the tags on it! Looking to wear it on 8/27/06. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TLS from Pasadena, CA

First thing is to contact the painting contractor owner and complain. Show him the spots, the price tag, and let him know that you are concerned. A good painter, always puts down drop clothes to protect everything and obviously, this was not done. As for the paint coming out, it might be better if you make the contractor buy you a new gown.

How do I get dried acrylic paint off of shoelaces?

By Pamela from Villa Park, IL

Buy new laces

So I had this shirt with acrylic paint all over it and I washed and dried it. The problem is that I washed it with other clothes and now some of the other shirts have paint stains on them, it looks like dye stains. The problem is that none of those shirts are mine and I am freaking out!

I paint with acrylic paint all the time, and I have never had the paint transfer. Was the paint wet? However, I've never been able to remove the paint either. Once it is one your clothes, and dry, you are stuck with it. I have heard, although never tried it, that Amaze (powdered stain remover) will remove it. Friends said they used it to get paint off of a car seat. Couldn't hurt to try. Best of luck.

So, I accidentally washed and dried my grey skinny jeans with acrylic paint on them and didn't realize it was on till after. How do I get it off?

By Leo C.

Soak the spots in rubbing alcohol until it softens then wash spot by hand until clean. I used rubbing alcohol to strip the paint off a night stand so be careful around other painted surfaces.

How do I get acrylic paint off of a ski jacket?

Laurie from Ironwood, Michigan

I have had very good luck on alot of surfaces and fabrics with Awesome, which I buy at our local dollar store. Try it on an area which is not seen first.

How do I get bright neon orange acrylic paint out of white material?

How do I get dried up black acrylic paint off of polyester gym shorts?

By Scott P.

I would like to know how to get acrylic paint stains out of cotton fabric and cotton/polyester fabrics. My kids were doing crafts at camp and got paint on their good clothes, how can i remove the unwanted stains?

Marleen

Answers:

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I removed white paint off my husbands navy jacket with Pine Sol. Don't know why I even tried it but the paint was not fresh and it came out with some rubbing. (08/22/2005)

By siris

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I have found a product called Goof Off II worked well for removing acrylic paint......spray well and rub it in and wash as usual. I have had a few that needed several treatments/washes but it all came out for me . Good luck! I got mine at Menards. (08/24/2005)

By Donna

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I'm an artist and have had the same thing happen. I've had luck with a product called "Krud Kutter." This stuff is great. A hardware salesperson turned me on to it and I will be forever grateful. It's also quite cheap. What a deal! Good Luck!
(08/25/2005)

By Barb

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I was successful removing acrylic paint with WD-40. Took some rubbing, but it did dissolve most of the dried paint. (02/23/2006)

By Seth

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

Original Pine Sol (15% pine oil) works! Pour big glob on stain and immediately scrub with toothbrush. This removed 2 week old dried (in some cases already washed with other ineffective stain removers) acrylic paint from denim, cotton knits and spandex. Got the tip on this site. (09/10/2006)

By Joanne Kelly

Read 1 Comment

Does anyone know how to remove black art paint from my child's white poly cotton sports shirt?

By Sue from Perth, Australia

My husband did a load of my girls good school clothing. I now have a very expensive mess! Any ideas to save this much clothing without taking a week off work? Thanks for your help.

Margie from Illinois

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Craft Paint From Clothing

http://www.ehow.com/how_6918_clean-acrylic-paints.html

Tips & Warning:

Dried acrylic paint will not come out of fabric.

Marge from NY

(09/23/2007)

By MCW

How can I remove paint from 100% cotton clothing. I think it is an acrylic paint.

By Netta from Covington, LA

Answers:

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

Try nail polish remover first and if that doesn't work try acetone. (07/31/2010)

By Hotdomo

I have a dried red stain from acrylic paint in my jeans, how can I remove it?

By Julia from USA

Answers:

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

Try fingernail polish remover. The kind "not" made for artificial nails is stronger. Sometimes rubbing alcohol works, but try the fingernail polish remover. Just dab some on with a cotton ball, wait about 5 min, then keep dabbing with a paper towel. You might also try an old toothbrush to get into the nap. Afterwards, pour on some liquid laundry soap then wash in the machine in warm or cold water. (not hot!) You may have to repeat this 2 or 3 times. Do not put any stain in the dryer or iron. The heat will "set" the stain!

If this doesn't work, try the other type of fingernail polish remover (made for artificial nails) or, they also make a paint remover for clothes. It's sold in craft stores, fabric stores, and some home stores (like Home Depot). (01/18/2010)

By Cyinda

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I have had success with hand sanitizer and dried in paint. I had it handy and it worked. Took some rubbing. It also cleans paint from paint brushes. Good luck. (01/20/2010)

By flying-brush

How do you get acrylic paint off of clothes?

By vanordem

My blue colored shirt has got a few deep white spots of acrylic paint. Please help with suggestions on how to remove these stains.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.