Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Hard Water Spots on Windows

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Hard Water Spots on Windows

Sometimes the water from the sink or a sprinkler can make stubborn water spots on your windows. This guide is about removing hard water spots.

Solutions: Removing Hard Water Spots on Windows

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Use Scrubbing Bubbles for Hard Water Spots

My husband read so many solutions on removing hard water spots on windows, but nothing ever worked for him. The windshield on our motor home was so stained from the water that would run down it, that we tried everything on the market just like so many others. We bought so many products from acid wash, scrub with SOS, to Comet.

I always use Scrubbing Bubbles for everything in my house. I told my husband for so long to try Scrubbing Bubbles but he always told me, "No that isn't going to work", until one day when he was frantic, he did try Scrubbing Bubbles along with extra fine steel wool. He couldn't believe his eyes. The glass is crystal clear and just like new. Now he won't use anything else just like I won't use any other product except for Scrubbing Bubbles inside.

So every one who is at their worst with hard water spots please use this product. It really does work. I know this sounds like a infomercial, just try for yourself.

Scrubbing Bubbles Fan!

By Peewee the Cat and Family from San Bernardino

Tip: Hard Water Spots on Windows

I have had very hard water spots on my windows from the irrigation system for a year. I just tried Colgate Toothpaste as suggested by Chris on ThriftyFun. My windows are now perfectly clear and it was so easy! I put a little Colgate Toothpaste on a damp paper towel, rubbed it on the glass in circular motions, then I rinsed with vinegar water (anything that would clean the paste off should work). and dried thoroughly. The glass is sparkling!

By Mary

Tip: Use Razor Blade for Water Spots on Windows

I water my lawn with very hard water in a very windy area. There is almost no way to keep the water off my windows every time I water. In the past, I had used ammonia to wash the windows and vinegar to get rid of the hard water stains.

Then last year I broke my arm and missed a whole year of washing windows. This spring the hard water stains seemed to have become part of the glass. Then I thought about the way I clean my cooktop.

I first washed the windows with ammonia/water solution, then wiped vinegar on a section of the window. I then scraped the glass in that section with a single-edged razor blade. The stains were removed with very little effort.

Source: none

By

Tip: Ajax for Water Spots

My brother parks his car on the street and every night the sprinklers go on. When he wakes up in the morning, he has water spots on the right side of his car. He tried washing his car but the spots would not come off. He also tried Windex, white vinegar, brake cleaner, anything you could think of!

Then my mom said, "Hey, try this Ajax!" With a little bit of water, the spots came right off! So the trick is AJAX!

Hope this helps.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Hard Water Spots on Windows.

Question: Removing Hard water Stains from Windows

There are so many Scrubbing Bubbles products - which one do you use with the fine steel wool?

By janie

Question: Removing Vertical Lines on Windshield

I'm not sure what they are called, but I'll say I have windshield streaks. They are lines going straight down all across. This happened during the winter. Anyone know what this is, or how to remove them?

By Jack

Most Recent Answer

By Donna08/03/2013

"Full strength" white vinegar and a newspaper (not a paper towel) - wadded up newspaper does a better job.

Question: Removing Salt Deposits from Car and Windshield

I have parked my car below a water tank. Once the water tank filled; the extra water will fall on the car. So salt water deposited on my car. How do I clean salt deposits off my car?

By N Senthil

Question: Removing Water Stains from Car Windows

I had washed my car in the afternoon and the water drops dried. I was unable to remove the stains. So how can I remove the stains? My car is a Maruti Suzuki swift.

By rajkamal

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.06/14/2013

Wash with vinegar.

Question: Removing Hard Water Spots from Glass

How do I remove hard water spots from glass?

By Barbara G.

Most Recent Answer

By Nancy F.08/09/2011

Someone once told me that oven cleaner would do it. I have never tried it.

Question: Removing Water Spots on Windows

How do I get water spots off the outside of a picture window?

By Debbie

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.08/08/2011

Are they water spots caused by hard water, such as that from a sprinkler, hitting your window? If so, vinegar should remove them. Do not dilute when you use it. I would put it in sprayer, and spray on full strength.

Question: Cleaning Hard Water Spots on Windows

I have four 10'X6' windows (all glass) and about 15 smaller windows of different sizes that get sprayed by water containing calcium, and various other minerals that will not wash off with soap or other washer solutions. I presently use dish soap and hot water and a bit of CLR added. I have used an ammonia solution, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol. Nothing really phases the stains even though the windows get clean, they still show those hard water stains.

We use ditch water to irrigate the lawn by a sprinkler system. Help! I also used automotive products and the products that you are supposed to put on and hose off. They definitely made no difference other than to clean.

By Lula C. from Cimarron, CO

Most Recent Answer

By batmap07/07/2011

I am not sure using CLR would be good for the environment, but as long as you keep it off the ground and wear gloves so you are protected... I can also suggest a razor blade to remove any remaining film/crust from hard water stains. Also found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5412240_remove-hard-water-stains-windows.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_7013639_do-water-stains-glass-windows_.html

RE: Cleaning Hard Water Spots on Windows

Question: Removing Water Spots from Windows

All my windows have spots on them and that makes it difficult to see. I have deep, deep water. I have tried many cleaners. Please help.

By Dennis

Most Recent Answer

By Karen Redlin06/28/2011

If you have hard water spots on your windows they will be hard to clean. Lime away does work but I don't like the harsh chemical. Spray your window with a window cleaner and use a scraper with a blade (the kind you use to remove paint on a window) to scrape over the hard water spots. Be careful to keep the blade flat and not scratch the window. Wipe the window and spray any spots you missed and scrape these away. If you have a huge build up, ammonia water works better than window cleaner but then again, you are dealing with harsh smelly chemical.

Question: Removing Water Marks on Windows

I've tried to clean my house windows with cleaners such as Windex, Bon Ami, vinegar, Colgate toothpaste, Cascade, Dawn, and baking soda. They are stained with water spots and grime. We live on the golf course and I don't know what all they spray on the fairway, etc., but I can't get my windows clean. Please help!

By Bill from Fontana, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Kolleen02/14/2011

What you are describing as water spots sounds more like Sticker spots. Sticker is a chemical that somewhat water proofs another chemical like fungicides. The make-up of this stuff is pretty simple it's like Elmers glue and dish soap, something I have used when landscaping in large complexes.

To remove Sticker spots use alcohol, rubbing will work as will alcohol based hand sanitizers. You may also have to use a light abrasive like baking soda. Dampen a cloth with the alcohol or rub the sanitizer on the window and scrub ( you may want to let the sanitizer sit to work it's way into the stains) then polish with the baking soda and rinse. It may take more than one application to remove all this stuff.

After you get the windows clean seal the glass with a rainex type product. Also check into having the golf course clean up their mess, if this has gotten onto your windows via a pesticide application they could be liable for the damage.
I do not think there is any health concern as a Sticker product in not used with toxic chemicals.

Question: Hard Water Stains on Auto Glass

How do I remove hard water spots on vehicle windows, that have been driven and exposed to all sorts of elements? Besides hard water stains, there are other unknown spots. Thank you.

Carol

Most Recent Answer

By Lee11/13/2010

Vinegar. I use it in my dishwasher and on my stainless steal sink. What a difference!

Question: Removing Water Spots from a Window

I have frosted glass by the side of my front door, it is the length of the door. The problem I am having is I can't get the water stains off of it. I've tried several glass cleaners but it always looks the same. Its outside so it gets wet quite often. Is there anything I can use to get those stains off? Please help.

By Dawn from Spokane, WA

Most Recent Answer

By Vi Johnson04/07/2010

Use the vinegar. I'd use a scrubby sponge though. Then after you get it clean, use a lemon oil furniture polish with a terry wash cloth to apply to the glass where the water hits it. You'll most likely have to re-apply every couple of weeks but it sure helps on our glass shower doors.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hard Water Stains on Windows

hard water stains on windowsAt my model home, the irrigation system sprays the windows and the storm door on the front door. They are all covered with hard water stains. I know Whink will work but I can't find it in my little neck of the woods. What else can I use that won't harm the brass tone trim or the vinyl sash? I have oxy cleaners and The Works. Will either of those work? I have several spec homes with windows that need to be cleaned so I am looking for the quickest and easiest cleaning solution.

Thanks,
Tracy from Twin Cities, MN

Vinegar and Water

Use 1/2 cup white vinegar added to 1 gallon of water. Just mix and apply with soft rag or out of spray bottle. I wear rubber kitchen gloves, as this can be hard on your hands. If the hard water spots are stubborn, I just use straight vinegar. Be sure and wear rubber gloves. By Gladys Hill (07/29/2006)

By moderator

Dishwashing Detergent

Powdered dishwashing detergent with jet dry. I used to use for the cleaning houses on the beach. Salt water spray is a pain to clean as well. (07/31/2006)

By Especielle

CLR and Lime-Away

I've used CLR and Lime-Away. Lime-Away worked the best. I squirted it at the top of the window and used a soft cloth or squeegee to distribute, waited a few minutes and washed off with a hose. This also worked on my daughters car when she parked to close to the sprinklers and got hard water spots on her door and windows. (08/01/2006)

By SweetCali40

Oxyclean Warning

I have a warning about OxyClean: Always use rubber gloves. It ate my hands and feet with a single layer of liquid splashed on them. It put our friend on the critical list at the hospital. It almost destroyed someone's toes. It is hydrofluoric acid, or something that strong, and there is nothing to help except from the hospital, and the damage is so painful for over six months! The chemical works, but requires more than careful usage and safety if used on things one touches with the skin. Good luck and god keep you in his care. (08/13/2006)

By Lynda

Archive: Hard Water Spots on Windows

How do you remove hard water spots from windows?

Manette from Park City, UT

Lime Away

When I would help my uncle clean his outside windows they would be covered in hard water because his sprinklers were constantly hitting them when he watered. No matter what he tried nothing seem to work until I tried good old Lime Away and the problem was solved.Use old newspapers and the spots should disappear,you may have to do this a couple of times if the spots are really caked on like my uncles were as his windows got a lot of the sun and the spots were baked on.

By celticwench

Archive: Hard Water Stains on Auto Glass

There have been a lot of great answers for how to clean shower glass, but I'm concerned about how some of these suggested cleaning agents will react with rubber and auto paint. So I want to ask what people have found effective and safe for getting rid of hard water stains on auto glass. Thanks.

Daniel from Ocala, FL

Coca-Cola

Try a can or two of Coca-Cola poured directly over the windshield. Wash the car afterward just to be safe. I have done this several times to no adverse effects.

By Dedeswrkshop

Hand Sanitizer

Use hand sanitizer. The spots will come right off and it won't hurt car interior. I use this on my car interior, steering wheel, and dash.

By ashleybunkin

MX-7

I live in Hawaii and used a product called MX-7 (for glass) on an old truck that had years of hard water spot buildup on all the exterior glass. It took the hard water spots off with little elbow grease. When my son bought a place in Las Vegas a year ago, I looked all over the valley for this product but couldn't find it. I finally found it at one of the local hardware stores (Ace). They just started carrying it.

By Russ808702

Archive: Hard Water Spots on Windows

How do I get hard water stains off a window? The sprinklers hit it and there is a mark.

Archive: Removing Water Marks on Windows

I have water marks on my windows and can't seem to get rid of them. There is also a substance that I think is paint, but I am not sure. I have tried vinegar window cleaners, but with no results. I would appreciate all ideas. I just moved into this house and am a fanatic about clean windows .

Elizabeth from Santiago, Chile

Newspaper and Alcohol

I have used newspaper and a sprayer full of alcohol or alcohol and water with excellent results to get smoke haze off the inside of car windows and smoke haze is hard to remove! It should work on the windows, or try vinegar and water instead. As for the paint, get a widget; hold the blade at about a 45 degree angle to the glass and push it toward the paint dots, should scrape them right off. Just be careful!

By purrplekat

Doobie Pad

I had something that sounds similar on my windows and had to resort to a Doobie pad. It's a nylon scrubber with a sponge inside. I used various window cleaners and just scrubbed until all the spots were off then cleaned as usual with clean cloths. I don't like using newspapers, but many people swear by it.

By Glenn'sMom