Browsing: Removing Hard Water Spots on Windows

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Hard Water Spots on Windows

Sometimes the water from the sink or a sprinkler can make stubborn water spots on your windows. This guide is about removing hard water spots.

Hard Water Spots on Windows
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 24, 2010 Flag

My husband read so many solutions on removing hard water spots on windows, but nothing ever worked for him. The windshield on our motor home was so stained from the water that would run down it, that we tried everything on the market just like so many others. We bought so many products from acid wash, scrub with SOS, to Comet.

I always use Scrubbing Bubbles for everything in my house. I told my husband for so long to try Scrubbing Bubbles but he always told me, "No that isn't going to work", until one day when he was frantic, he did try Scrubbing Bubbles along with extra fine steel wool. He couldn't believe his eyes. The glass is crystal clear and just like new. Now he won't use anything else just like I won't use any other product except for Scrubbing Bubbles inside.

So every one who is at their worst with hard water spots please use this product. It really does work. I know this sounds like a infomercial, just try for yourself.

Scrubbing Bubbles Fan!

By Peewee the Cat and Family from San Bernardino

September 25, 2015 Flag

I was having trouble getting water spots off my windows until my neighbor suggested using alcohol. I used 91% rubbing alcohol from the drugstore that I already had in the house and paper towels. I didn't even have to scrub. The spots came off like magic.

July 4, 2011 Flag

I have four 10'X6' windows (all glass) and about 15 smaller windows of different sizes that get sprayed by water containing calcium, and various other minerals that will not wash off with soap or other washer solutions. I presently use dish soap and hot water and a bit of CLR added. I have used an ammonia solution, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol. Nothing really phases the stains even though the windows get clean, they still show those hard water stains.

We use ditch water to irrigate the lawn by a sprinkler system. Help! I also used automotive products and the products that you are supposed to put on and hose off. They definitely made no difference other than to clean.

By Lula C. from Cimarron, CO

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just got done cleaning 2 small windows. Like many of you they had years of calcium water spots on them. You could barely see through them. I used the Barkeeper's friend and it worked. I made it into a paste on a small scrubber that you would use for pots and pans (non abrasive). I finished it off with WD 40 and now the windows are shiny and look like new. It was a fluke that I tried it but I had tried everything else that was on the internet...I was at my wits end. I tried all of the other suggestions and this one worked!

Read More Answers...

November 23, 2010 Flag

I have had very hard water spots on my windows from the irrigation system for a year. I just tried Colgate Toothpaste as suggested by Chris on ThriftyFun. My windows are now perfectly clear and it was so easy!

June 11, 2013 Flag

I had washed my car in the afternoon and the water drops dried. I was unable to remove the stains. So how can I remove the stains? My car is a Maruti Suzuki swift.

By rajkamal

Wash with vinegar.

Read More Answers...

June 26, 2011 Flag

All my windows have spots on them and that makes it difficult to see. I have deep, deep water. I have tried many cleaners. Please help.

By Dennis

Hi DO NOT use a scrapper blade on double glazed windows as the glass is softened as it heated in manufacturing and the blade will scratch the glass - trust me I did it

Read More Answers...

February 13, 2011 Flag

I've tried to clean my house windows with cleaners such as Windex, Bon Ami, vinegar, Colgate toothpaste, Cascade, Dawn, and baking soda. They are stained with water spots and grime. We live on the golf course and I don't know what all they spray on the fairway, etc., but I can't get my windows clean. Please help!

By Bill from Fontana, CA

What you are describing as water spots sounds more like Sticker spots. Sticker is a chemical that somewhat water proofs another chemical like fungicides. The make-up of this stuff is pretty simple it's like Elmers glue and dish soap, something I have used when landscaping in large complexes.

To remove Sticker spots use alcohol, rubbing will work as will alcohol based hand sanitizers. You may also have to use a light abrasive like baking soda. Dampen a cloth with the alcohol or rub the sanitizer on the window and scrub ( you may want to let the sanitizer sit to work it's way into the stains) then polish with the baking soda and rinse. It may take more than one application to remove all this stuff.

After you get the windows clean seal the glass with a rainex type product. Also check into having the golf course clean up their mess, if this has gotten onto your windows via a pesticide application they could be liable for the damage.

I do not think there is any health concern as a Sticker product in not used with toxic chemicals.

Read More Answers...

April 1, 2015 Flag

Bar Keepers Friend and a soft scrub sponge works best for me. It removes all shower spots and window spots from sprinklers. Window on right had the whole lower half with spots.

A window with water spots on one side.

January 22, 2015 Flag

To remove hard water spots from glass, you need glass cooktop cleaner, a non-scratch scrubbing sponge, a wet rag, and a microfiber towel.

January 7, 2014 Flag

Use shower cleaner, SOS pad, and water.

August 6, 2011 Flag

How do I remove hard water spots from glass?

By Barbara G.

Someone once told me that oven cleaner would do it. I have never tried it.

Read More Answers...

August 1, 2013 Flag

I'm not sure what they are called, but I'll say I have windshield streaks. They are lines going straight down all across. This happened during the winter. Anyone know what this is, or how to remove them?

By Jack

"Full strength" white vinegar and a newspaper (not a paper towel) - wadded up newspaper does a better job.

April 6, 2010 Flag

I have frosted glass by the side of my front door, it is the length of the door. The problem I am having is I can't get the water stains off of it.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsJune 20, 2012
Kitchen With Granite Countertops
Removing Hard Water Spots on Granite Countertops
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 3:14:34 AM on 10.0.2.73 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.