Removing Labels from Plastic Containers

Use a hair dryer. Move it over label for a few minutes on warm, then turn dryer off. Start to peel from one corner. It should peel easily. If there is any residue left, use a cotton bud with a little eucalyptus oil. That will dissolve it. Wash in soapy water to clear any smell of the oil.

By Lyn from Bowen, Australia

I have had very good success with lighter fluid. Just peal the label off and the part under it that is still sticky, simply put a little lighter fluid on a cotton ball and clean off the sticky. Then wipe off with a clean rag that has a little soapy water on it. Dry the area. Works every time.

The hair dryer works perfectly! Just be careful not to melt the plastic container, too!!

I find WD40 or liquid wrench does the same thing.

Peanut butter works great too! Any kind of oil really I think.

Any Oil desolves adhesives. Any cheap genaric oil will do the job. No need for expencive eucaliptus oil or chemical smelling stuff. Be careful when using "industrial" type oils on plastic food containers, they may melt the plastic. The item then needs to be washed to remove chemicals.

GooGone is made just for that and it works great.

I just used the eucalyptus oil suggestion. After removing the paper label with warm water I sprinkled eucalyptus oil on the adhesive remaining. Used my finger tips to rub the eucalyptus oil and adhesive in a circular motion. A dry paper towel to wipe and Presto it came right off. I put a few more drops of eucalyptus oil on the surface and used a clean, dry paper towel to ensure no adhesive remained. Less than 2 minutes. No waiting. No mess. Washed surface with dish detergent. No smell. Excellent suggestion. Thank you.

Anonymous

Take top off from pill bottle put in microwave for 30 seconds. Label comes right off.

Worked great for me! Didn't have eucalyptus oil so I used coconut oil instead and the residue came right off. Thanks!!

Anonymous

I used shortening overnight and it came right off with a paper towel. I was making 10 waterless snow globes for my sunday school class and I used plastic jelly jars (plenty of lab testing lol ) .

I'm frustrated because the manufactures of the products that fill these containers, especially laundry soap,and many more, make sure nothing is going to make their labels fall off. I have been using hot water that I pay for, and now pay a carbon tax on the gas to heat that water. From now on the laundry bottles etc are going in the recycle bin as they are. Eucalyptus oil at a staggering price here at $22.00/15ml Cdn money, nope!