Removing Lipstick Stains on Clothing

Lipstick leaves an oily waxy stain on clothing that can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing lipstick stains on clothing.

Lipstick stain on a white shirt.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 8, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing lipstick stains on leather. Using the correct method and cleaners makes removing lipstick from leather an easier job than expected.

Opened tube of Red Lipstick on black leather surface

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 20, 2011 Flag

How do I remove a lipstick stain from my clothes? It was in my kid's pocket and transferred in the dryer to everything! Please advise.

By Sara M. Hello Kitty clothing with lipstick stains. White laundry with lipstick stains.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would say try to boil water when its boiling pour it into basin and mix with tide powder and then put your stain clothe maybe the lipstick will come off from your clothe..Sometime my aunt do this way and it was working for her.

April 20, 2010 Flag

My daughter's first communion was yesterday and someone got lipstick on the front of her dress when giving her a hug. The dress says it's 100% polyester and can be washed in cold. She has to wear it again soon for pictures. How do I get the stain out?

By Marilyn from St. Charles, MO

I've had great luck using hair spray. Just saturate the area, leave on for a couple minutes, then rinse. Repeat as necessary. It works on ink too.

Read More Answers...

October 4, 2012 Flag

I have white jeans stained with lipstick in the dryer. How do I treat the stain?

By Vivian

Try adding warm water with detergent and see if that helps.

August 28, 2009 Flag

I got red lipstick on a white silk dress, how can I get the lipstick off?

By furch from CA

Victoria's Secret sells a product specifically for lipstick and other oils on lingerie. I think it was $10 but a little goes a long way and it really does work.

Sandy

Read More Answers...

February 12, 2012 Flag

I dropped a lipstick on a white shirt and now I have a huge mark. How can I clean it off? I haven't done anything with it yet.

By Colleen M

I've removed lipstick (and other oil and wax based) stains from my cotton and cotton blend dress shirts by doing the following. Will it work on other materials or your stains I can't say.

What you need:

Good old fashion Rubbing (Isopropyl) Alcohol

Liquid Dish Soap (amazing Dawn works well)

A clean cloth or two (face cloths works well)

How:

Wet a section of the cloth with alcohol

Blot stain with wet section of cloth. Keep blotting using clean wet cloth sections until stain lifts (large stain do in sections)

Next blot the area with some liquid dish soap and

Launder.

Keep in mind

Read the care tag on the shirt (Dry Clean Only - take to your Dry Cleaner)

Never Rub - Blot Only

Longer the stain has been - the harder to remove

If the shirt and stain has been laundered it may be too late

Never use hot water or heat dry the stain.

If all else fails, and as a last resort you may want to (and as crazy as this sounds) replace the Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol with "WD-40".

September 4, 2011 Flag

How do you get lipstick out of a white, gauzy nylon blouse?

By Cindy

I watched a gal use plain white toothpaste to remove lipstick from a synthetic dress.

June 23, 2006 Flag

If you get a lipstick stain on your clothing, try pretreating it with cold cream or shortening. Then rub a little grease fighting dish detergent into it and launder as usual.

February 27, 2011 Flag

How do I wash lipstick out of a full load of clothes that got lipstick all over them from the dryer. They are formals and dress clothes and made from a variety of fabrics.

By Tamaria from Tacoma

You have to consult the dry cleaners on this if you don't want to screw it up. My granddaughter just did this to my clothes and dryer. A scented and dyed lip gloss. I had to use Amway Trizyme, Amway SA8 in the washer on hot water to remove it.

January 21, 2005 Flag

If Mom has makeup, even only for rare occasions, the lipstick will one day become the lip, face or clothing smear (of course only on the children's best clothing, not the play clothes which could go easily in the rag bin). It may also become a stain on the most obvious spot in the whole house, in the middle of the living room carpeting.

Lipstick On Carpet: Take a small amount of Skin so Soft and a soft rag and gently work it into the rug, gently not rubbing it deeper into the fibers, this can be dabbed until little is left and a good spot cleaner can remove the residue left behind.

Lipstick On Face: For the beautiful faces of lipstick, a soft wash cloth and skin so soft will do the trick without the tale tale clown look left for days.

Lipstick On Clothing: Spray or pour a small amount on the clothing, dab lightly rub, and launder the former reminder for years away and no one will no the lipstick culprit had struck again.

By Shelley

February 27, 2011 Flag

I would like information on cleaning lipstick out of cotton clothing.

By Kathy from Denver

October 31, 2010 Flag

How do I remove melted lipstick stains from my laundry?

By Cyndy from Denver

Answers:

Lipstick Stains on Clothing

Thank you, stain removal experts! I washed and dried a bright pink lipstick in a load of dark clothes and the results were devastating (to my wardrobe and my psyche). I pre-treated each smear with liquid dishwashing soap (bargain Dawn), and then soaked them in the recommended mixture of 1 cup each powdered dishwater and laundry soap (Cascade and Tide). I ran the clothes through twice, soaking each load for 2-3 hours before each wash cycle, and every single piece of my laundry is now lipstick-stain-free. Unbelievable! Many, many thanks for the great suggestions! (09/13/2010)

By ShelleyPDX

August 17, 2010 Flag

How do I get lipstick out of clothing?

By Linda from LA

Answers:

Lipstick Stains on Clothing

Since lipstick is oil-based, use "GOOP" (the hand-cleaner made for mechanics). It's usually sold at most dollar stores. Since it's made for greasy and oily car-mechanic's hands, it cleans most anything with an oily or greasy base, like gravy, butter, sauces, etc.

First rub the Goop on the back of the stain, then put some on the front and leave it to sit for 10 min or so. Next scrub the Goop INTO the stain with an old toothbrush and let it sit again for another 10 min or so, then pour some oxi-clean liquid laundry soap on top of the Goop and scrub that into the stain with the toothbrush. Wash in warm (not hot) water.

NON-GREASY FOODS:
For non-greasy natural food-based and "organic" stains including blood, urine, grape-juice, red wine, hot cocoa, tea and coffee, use Peroxide. (It does NOT work for foods with artificial colorings such as Jell-O and Kool-aid stains.)

HUMAN and ANIMAL STAINS:
For Human or Animal blood, urine, poop, vomit, sweat, etc use an "ENZYME-based" pet cleaner and odor remover. These "enzyme" based products work by using enzymes and a good bacteria to "eat" the natural substances. They work by speeding up the natural bio-degradation process. These products work only when they are wet, so saturate the area with the enzyme-cleaner then cover the area with plastic to keep it moist and let sit for at least 30 minutes or better-yet, overnight.

Also, use the enzyme product FIRST, before Peroxide or any other chemicals because they can kill the good bacteria and enzymes. I like the brand called "OUT!" It's sold at Walmart, K-mart and Target for $4.79 in the pet cleaner area near the cat-boxes.

* Never put a stain into a hot dryer or iron a stain until the stain is totally gone, or the heat can set the stain in permanently. In fact, usually I would recommend using cold water to wash your stain, but not with an oil or grease-based stain. Warm water usually works best with these. (04/05/2010)

By Cyinda

April 4, 2010 Flag

How do I get lipstick out of clothing?

By Joyce from AR

Answers:

Lipstick Stains on Clothing

I mix in a spray bottle, one part clear ammonia, one part dish detergent (hand not dishwasher) and one part water. Spray on lipstick stain and wash in the washer. This mixture will take out pretty much any stain. (02/15/2010)

By Lynda (crabby)

November 17, 2009 Flag

How do I get lipstick out of a white, cotton shirt?

June 24, 2009 Flag

I tried to get lipstick out of my clothes with dish soap and laundry soap but it didn't work. Help!

November 6, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

August 18, 2008 Flag

October 15, 2006 Flag

September 26, 2006 Flag

February 8, 2005 Flag
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 14, 2012
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Lipstick
Removing Lipstick Stains on Fabric
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
pots of lipstick
Making Lipstick
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 4:25:29 AM on 10.0.0.56 in 652 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.