Removing Lipstick Stains on Clothing

Lipstick leaves an oily waxy stain on clothing that can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing lipstick stains on clothing.

March 8, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing lipstick stains on leather. Using the correct method and cleaners makes removing lipstick from leather an easier job than expected.

Opened tube of Red Lipstick on black leather surface

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 23, 2006 Flag

If you get a lipstick stain on your clothing, try pretreating it with cold cream or shortening. Then rub a little grease fighting dish detergent into it and launder as usual.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wow, thats interesting that a woman consumes over 4 to 9 lbs of lipstick in her lifetime! Here is the link that I found that shows all of the research:

http://www.lipink.com/lipstick_wax_s/6510.htm&Click=33586

February 12, 2012 Flag

I dropped a lipstick on a white shirt and now I have a huge mark. How can I clean it off? I haven't done anything with it yet.

By Colleen M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Used the WD40 for lipstick that busted on clothes in dryer and worked beautifully!!!!

I got lipstick on my white jacket how to get it out?

Read More Answers...

June 20, 2011 Flag

How do I remove a lipstick stain from my clothes? It was in my kid's pocket and transferred in the dryer to everything! Please advise.

By Sara M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would say try to boil water when its boiling pour it into basin and mix with tide powder and then put your stain clothe maybe the lipstick will come off from your clothe..Sometime my aunt do this way and it was working for her.

April 20, 2010 Flag

My daughter's first communion was yesterday and someone got lipstick on the front of her dress when giving her a hug. The dress says it's 100% polyester and can be washed in cold. She has to wear it again soon for pictures. How do I get the stain out?

By Marilyn from St. Charles, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pre treat stain; dawn is good as are other products like shout. If you can get the stain out, and dry in the sun. It will act as a natural bleaching agent without damaging the dress.

I've had great luck using hair spray. Just saturate the area, leave on for a couple minutes, then rinse. Repeat as necessary. It works on ink too.

Read More Answers...

January 21, 2005 Flag

If Mom has makeup, even only for rare occasions, the lipstick will one day become the lip, face or clothing smear (of course only on the children's best clothing, not the play clothes which could go easily in the rag bin). It may also become a stain on the most obvious spot in the whole house, in the middle of the living room carpeting.

Lipstick On Carpet: Take a small amount of Skin so Soft and a soft rag and gently work it into the rug, gently not rubbing it deeper into the fibers, this can be dabbed until little is left and a good spot cleaner can remove the residue left behind.

Lipstick On Face: For the beautiful faces of lipstick, a soft wash cloth and skin so soft will do the trick without the tale tale clown look left for days.

Lipstick On Clothing: Spray or pour a small amount on the clothing, dab lightly rub, and launder the former reminder for years away and no one will no the lipstick culprit had struck again.

By Shelley

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a very good pair of Jeans that had lipstick stains all over them from a tube of lipstick being left in the pocket in the dryer. Tried numerous things--hiarspray, cleaners, etc. When I tried Skin-So-Soft

it worked like a charm---i just couldn't believe it!

Thank you so much for the very helpful hint.

October 4, 2012 Flag

I have white jeans stained with lipstick in the dryer. How do I treat the stain?

By Vivian

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try adding warm water with detergent and see if that helps.

August 28, 2009 Flag

I got red lipstick on a white silk dress, how can I get the lipstick off?

By furch from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have heard that WD-40 will remove lipstick stains but I am not sure if this will work on silk but you could try a tester patch.

Put a spot of WD-40 on your blouse in an inconspicuous place (under the arm for example) and then wash as you would normally. If there is no sign or residue of it then you could try it.

Saturate the lipstick stain with WD-40 and then rewash. It should come out perfectly.

Good luck,

Monique :)

Victoria's Secret sells a product specifically for lipstick and other oils on lingerie. I think it was $10 but a little goes a long way and it really does work.

Sandy

Read More Answers...

September 4, 2011 Flag

How do you get lipstick out of a white, gauzy nylon blouse?

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I watched a gal use plain white toothpaste to remove lipstick from a synthetic dress.

February 27, 2011 Flag

How do I wash lipstick out of a full load of clothes that got lipstick all over them from the dryer. They are formals and dress clothes and made from a variety of fabrics.

By Tamaria from Tacoma

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have to consult the dry cleaners on this if you don't want to screw it up. My granddaughter just did this to my clothes and dryer. A scented and dyed lip gloss. I had to use Amway Trizyme, Amway SA8 in the washer on hot water to remove it.

February 8, 2005 Flag

How can I remove lipstick stains from clothing?

Answers:

Lipstick Stains

To remove lipstick stains from laundry, rub with petroleum jelly.

By Brenda Cole

Soaking

The best thing I have ever found to remove lipstick (after having washed and dried lipstick in pants pockets--twice) is to soak the stained clothes in a washer full of water with 1 cup powdered dishwasher detergent and 1 cup color-safe bleach. Don't know why it works, but it does!

Post by calnorth

Removing Lipstick and Other Oil Stains From Clothing

To remove lipstick, oil or oil based products - squirt a little Ronson's lighter fluid. That will break down the oil. Then a little soap to break down the lighter fluid. Works on everthing but silk.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had left my lipstick in my pocket..the clothes colored clothes were washed and dryed...i need to get all this lipstick off the clothes as i was looking in the garage i found this can of FW1...CLEANING WASH AND WAX...well isprayed it on and used a tooth brush and i could see the lipstick removing from my clothes ...

February 27, 2011 Flag

I would like information on cleaning lipstick out of cotton clothing.

By Kathy from Denver

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 31, 2010 Flag

How do I remove melted lipstick stains from my laundry?

By Cyndy from Denver

Answers:

Lipstick Stains on Clothing

Thank you, stain removal experts! I washed and dried a bright pink lipstick in a load of dark clothes and the results were devastating (to my wardrobe and my psyche). I pre-treated each smear with liquid dishwashing soap (bargain Dawn), and then soaked them in the recommended mixture of 1 cup each powdered dishwater and laundry soap (Cascade and Tide). I ran the clothes through twice, soaking each load for 2-3 hours before each wash cycle, and every single piece of my laundry is now lipstick-stain-free. Unbelievable! Many, many thanks for the great suggestions! (09/13/2010)

By ShelleyPDX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 17, 2010 Flag

How do I get lipstick out of clothing?

By Linda from LA

Answers:

Lipstick Stains on Clothing

Since lipstick is oil-based, use "GOOP" (the hand-cleaner made for mechanics). It's usually sold at most dollar stores. Since it's made for greasy and oily car-mechanic's hands, it cleans most anything with an oily or greasy base, like gravy, butter, sauces, etc.

First rub the Goop on the back of the stain, then put some on the front and leave it to sit for 10 min or so. Next scrub the Goop INTO the stain with an old toothbrush and let it sit again for another 10 min or so, then pour some oxi-clean liquid laundry soap on top of the Goop and scrub that into the stain with the toothbrush. Wash in warm (not hot) water.

NON-GREASY FOODS:
For non-greasy natural food-based and "organic" stains including blood, urine, grape-juice, red wine, hot cocoa, tea and coffee, use Peroxide. (It does NOT work for foods with artificial colorings such as Jell-O and Kool-aid stains.)

HUMAN and ANIMAL STAINS:
For Human or Animal blood, urine, poop, vomit, sweat, etc use an "ENZYME-based" pet cleaner and odor remover. These "enzyme" based products work by using enzymes and a good bacteria to "eat" the natural substances. They work by speeding up the natural bio-degradation process. These products work only when they are wet, so saturate the area with the enzyme-cleaner then cover the area with plastic to keep it moist and let sit for at least 30 minutes or better-yet, overnight.

Also, use the enzyme product FIRST, before Peroxide or any other chemicals because they can kill the good bacteria and enzymes. I like the brand called "OUT!" It's sold at Walmart, K-mart and Target for $4.79 in the pet cleaner area near the cat-boxes.

* Never put a stain into a hot dryer or iron a stain until the stain is totally gone, or the heat can set the stain in permanently. In fact, usually I would recommend using cold water to wash your stain, but not with an oil or grease-based stain. Warm water usually works best with these. (04/05/2010)

By Cyinda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 4, 2010 Flag

How do I get lipstick out of clothing?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 17, 2009 Flag

How do I get lipstick out of a white, cotton shirt?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 24, 2009 Flag

I tried to get lipstick out of my clothes with dish soap and laundry soap but it didn't work. Help!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2008 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 15, 2006 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 26, 2006 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 14, 2012
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Lipstick
Removing Lipstick Stains on Fabric
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
pots of lipstick
Making Lipstick
🎉
🎄