Removing Skunk Smell from House

Category Odors
Skunk smell can be very unpleasant for everyone nearby. If a skunk sprays on or near your home it can be almost impossible to be in the house. This is a guide about removing skunk smell from house.

Concerning the smell in your house after your dog gets sprayed with a skunk, we called the Erie police! We thought our dog had been sprayed by pepper spray! We thought someone had intruded our back yard and the intruder sprayed the dog! The smell smelled like burning chemicals so we knew no better! Now we do.

The non- emergency police patched us through to 911! Two squad cars showed up. They scoped our house at 1am in the morning only to sadly tell us they were pretty sure our dog was sprayed by a skunk! We were so upset, but the police were very helpful. They suggested we use Murphy's Oil soap on the dog! It worked except for her nose area.

As far as the house. We did the candles, coffee grounds, incense, and the baking soda on the carpet which all seemed to help. It's now 2:50 am and we are finally breathing a little easier. I have to get up at 5 for work so I better say good night! Thanks to all for all the wonderful suggestions! I love this site.

By IrishBabe from Erie, PA

Top Comment

Yes, yes, yes, if I had not seen the actual skunk (and had to remove the little body) I would never have guessed my scottie got sprayed. it smelled like burnt tires! That was confusing. When skunks get caught on the road, there is always that musky smell, but when they spray it has an odd smell doesn't it?

I quickly wiped her face with a wet towel, and did the bath with tomato juice, which did not work. Next day on internet found the formula of baking soda in dish with vinegar added and using the foam to clean her. Then a bath with Dawn original dish soap. That worked great.

My groomer did warn me that the smell does come back when the dog gets damp, and that is true. I should probably have replaced her collar and that would have helped with the smell a bit (nylon collar).

Yesterday I discovered a skunk in my garage. I immediately took action to remove him/her with the use of water from the hose. I sprayed and it sprayed. The skunk left the garage and now I have the spray absorbed into the concrete and boxes that were on the floor. Any thoughts? I realize I have to discard the boxes, but concerned about getting the smell out of the concrete floor. This is not the only skunk, there are others around and I'm always on the lookout, must have sneaked in during the early morning hours when I pulled the car out of the garage. We live in a residential area.

David from San Antonio, TX

Best Answer

WE used Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a little liquid dishwashing detergent on our sprayed dog and it worked perfectly. Maybe it would work on the concrete as well.

My dog was sprayed by a skunk two nights ago. I bathed him the day after with his shampoo but, he still smells a little. The house it is very strong, everything smells like skunk. What can I do?

By Arelserrano

Best Answer

I have been saving this because we've been smelling skunk in the neighborhood lately and I'm sure one day one of my dogs will find it! You could probably spray a little of this in the air too. It's worth a try.

Skunk scent remover shampoo:

32 ounces hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid.

Mix ingredients together in large bottle with cap.

Use as shampoo on pets and children. Rinse well.

A skunk just sprayed in my garage and I have 2 cars in there and a lot of other stuff. My cars won't start so I can't get them out of the house and I can't tell if the skunk is gone or not! It was a baby skunk. What do I do?

There are many things you can try. SOme things are mustard powder, vinegar, and baking soda.

This site provides an analysis of common home remedies, and it shows which ones work or not: "To start, after coaxing three separate skunks to spray, the pair finally got one to release its torrent of thiols. Then they scoured their skunk-soaked clothes and bathroom in a variety of home remedies, followed by a sniff test to determine whether each potential solution was confirmed, busted or plausible." http://www.disc  ase/skunk-smell/

more here http://www.wiki  Out-of-the-House

A skunk died under my house last night. How do I get the smell out of everything?

By Nickerson from MI

Best Answer

I can somewhat relate! This winter we had a horrific septic tank smell in the house. Long story there, but we had some repairs done and they believe a vent was partially blocked by all the snow/ice. Anyway, I aired out whenever the smell was the strongest, and aired out the house often. I also lit many candles which really helped. Try putting bowls of vinegar out, that helps somewhat.

Best of luck and sorry this had to happen to you!

How do you get rid of skunk smell in the house and from clothes? A skunk sprayed in the crawl space of my house.

By Lena from Mexico, MO

Anonymous
Best Answer

You'll need to get under the porch and wash everything down with vinegar and also spray the dirt with vinegar. Afterward, wash anything associated with the dryer vent and inside of the dryer with vinegar and if any clothing still smells of the spray then soak them in hot water with vinegar and then wash as usual.

I need your help. There are a family of skunks living under my front steps. The other night like 3 am, I was awakened by a disgusting skunk odor. Here it is three days later and inside the entire apartment still stinks of skunk odor. I have tried shampooing carpets with Nature's Miracle, and washing all curtains and furniture coverings. Nothing has helped. My clothes don't smell of it nor does my furniture, but I did what I was told to do to rid the apartment of the odor and it didn't work. I need more information that has been tested and is known.

By Barbara

Best Answer

My dog was sprayed once and a neighbor gave me a recipe for the dog.Use 1/2 cup peroxide mixed with 1 litre of water. I don't know if this helps with your problem. Good luck.

How do I get the smell of skunk out of my house and fabrics?

By Lacey

Best Answer

Vinegar, the great neutraliser, may help-wash down everything that won't go into the washing machine with a half vinegar-half water solution. Carpet, upholstery, and walls can be cleaned using either a sprayed application then the excess blotted off with a towel, or with a well wrung sponge mop; other hard surfaces like chair legs and tables can be sponged and wiped. Don't rinse, though, because that cancels out the odor neutralising affect of the vinegar.

Be careful when cleaning wood, the vinegar may cause a white film or 'eat the paint off', so be sure to test before applying to things like painted, lacquered or varnished heirloom and antique furniture.

You may need to repeat several times but it should get rid of the smell. The vinegar smell will also dissipate over a few hours. Then set bowls of full strength vinegar under furniture, in corners of the room, and on coffee tables, etc to continue the deodorising.

Anything that can go into the washer should be run at the hottest water temp the fabric will tolerate. Don't use laundry soap, instead use only two measuring cupfuls of straight vinegar, and run the items through several vinegar washings before air drying-don't put anything into the dryer until you know you've got rid of the 'fragrance'.

I used to raise dogs in the US, oh wowsa can they teach a person about getting rid of all kinds of strong, lingering stench!

Will an air purifier help remove skunk odor from a small room?

By reddddd from Canada

Best Answer

Probably not, but it can't hurt. Try leaving a large bowl of charcoal briquettes in the center of the room for a few days - maybe that would help. Also, lighting candles might help to neutralize the odor.

I have had a terrible skunk smell outside in my backyard for about a week now. I can't smell it in my front yard. Could a skunk possibly have died under my pool deck or something? How do I get rid of the smell?

By soccamom from Swansea, MA

Best Answer

You could possibly have a skunk living under your pool deck. If the skunk is dead, it may be relatively easy to get rid of the corpse. If it is a live skunk, you have another problem altogether. There are many remedies, but nothing that I have had any experience with. I would assume the skunk is alive, and call an exterminator or someone in your community who deals with wildlife.

Does an ozone machine really help to get rid of Skunk smell from your carpet, furniture, clothing, etc.?

By aelder from Utica, KY

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell from House

The EPA does NOT recommend the use of indoor ozone generators:

From: Indoor Air Pollution: An Introduction for Health Professionals -epa.gov

Ion generators act by charging the particles in a room so that they are attracted to walls, floors, tabletops, draperies, occupants, etc. Abrasion can result in these particles being re-suspended into the air. In some cases these devices contain a collector to attract the charged particles back to the unit. While ion generators may remove small particles (e.g., those in tobacco smoke) from the indoor air, they do not remove gases or odors, and may be relatively ineffective in removing large particles such as pollen and house dust allergens. Although some have suggested that these devices provide a benefit by rectifying a hypothesized ion imbalance, no controlled studies have confirmed this effect.

Ozone, a lung irritant, is produced indirectly by ion generators and some other electronic air cleaners and directly by ozone generators. While indirect ozone production is of concern, there is even greater concern with the direct, and purposeful introduction of a lung irritant into indoor air. There is no difference, despite some marketers' claims, between ozone in smog outdoors and ozone produced by these devices. Under certain use conditions ion generators and other ozone generating air cleaners (see epa.gov ) can produce levels of this lung irritant significantly above levels thought harmful to human health.

A small percentage of air cleaners that claim a health benefit may be regulated by FDA as a medical device. The Food and Drug Administration has set a limit of 0.05 parts per million of ozone for medical devices. Although ozone can be used in reducing odors and pollutants in unoccupied spaces (such as removing smoke odors from homes involved in fires) the levels needed to achieve this are above those generally thought to be safe for humans. (07/02/2009)

By lah34a

Removing Skunk Smell from House

I don't know if it will work, but this product Kids N Pets gets rid of cat spray. It claims on the bottle to get rid of skunk. I find it at WalMart. (07/06/2009)

By caraing

Removing Skunk Smell from House

I'll never forget going into my brother's house and feeling like I was breathing very strong bleach fumes. It was killing me. Turns out they had an ozone air cleaner in their bedroom. If you choose to go this route, be careful and use it only as much as necessary. I do not have allergies or asthma, I have never smoked. I exercise regularly. My point is that my lungs are very healthy and that my reaction had nothing to do with a prior health issue. It may work, but use caution. (07/08/2009)

By Lynn

Removing Skunk Smell from House

Our dog got skunked. Boyfriend brought him into the house. The smell was everywhere in the house. So strong it made both dogs and me vomit. We rented an ozone machine from ServPro and left for the weekend. They manned it and moved it around from Friday to Sunday and when we came back, we could only smell it faintly in spots here and there. We did not need to clean carpets, drapes, or furniture it killed the smell on everything. Only clothes we had to clean were in the basement where we washed the dog.

Shell the money out for the rental. You will not regret it. No, the machines are not safe for everyday use. ServPro did not recommend it for everyday use either. But it is completely safe to use it, not come into the house for about 4 hours afterward, then, open windows and let the house air out. Our house did not smell of anything nor did we have any adverse affects after use. But we did let the house air out with all windows open to make sure. (08/15/2009)

By CrazyHorseGirl

Follow directions very carefully! Yes,it works perfectly. You can move the unit from room to room as needed!

How do I remove skunk smell from within the house?

By Jackie

Answers:

My House Reeks of Skunk Odor

I wish I had a real tip for you, but I found that all the cleaning and spraying does nothing, all that takes it away is time. Our dog was sprayed last summer and got back into the house before I knew what happened. We bought an enzyme cleaner made specifically for skunk odor, sprayed it full strength on the carpet, washed the carpet with a steam cleaner, then cleaned with Simple Green. Nothing took the smell away, it finally went away a couple of months later.
(01/31/2011)

By Marfette

Rent an Ionizer Unit. Important to follow instructions carefully. It really works!

How do you get the skunk odor out of your home? My dog was sprayed last night, all of our clothes and the house has the smell of skunk.

A skunk sprayed under our front porch and it is coming through my cloths dryer vent and into my dryer. My clothes smell like skunk and so does my laundry room and the inside of the dryer. Help.

A skunk crawled under the house and sprayed. Ugh. What can we use to get rid of the smell in the house? We have windows open, but it is cold where we live.

My house must of had a skunk spray under it last night. I don't know exactly where, because most of the bottom of my house is still insulated with snow. I can't bear the smell of my house and the smell is actually irritating my throat a little bit. Can you help me?

A skunk sprayed under my house 3 weeks ago and the smell will not leave. I have tried everything and nothing works. The smell is even in my jewelry. Can someone please help?

My dog was sprayed in the mouth by a skunk. It never smelled on his coat, but after he threw up, the smell overwhelmed the house.

My dog got sprayed by a skunk and brought the odor in the house. How do you get rid of the smell?

How do you get rid of skunk smell from a house?

My dog got sprayed by a skunk and he came into my house. Now it's unbearable.

My dog got sprayed last night at 1 a.m. and I brought her in to wash her eyes and now my house smells awful!

My 2 labs were sprayed by a skunk 3 days ago and my entire house and everything in it smells like skunk.

I need advice for ridding skunk odors in the home.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

My children got sprayed by a skunk. we used the peroxide solution and they don't smell, but the garage, car, and bathroom do. How do I get rid of the odor?

In July '06 a skunk sprayed under our house. The house still smells 5 months later.

How do you remove skunk smell from inside a house?

My dog got sprayed by a skunk, then ran into the house. My whole house, upstairs and down, smell so horrible.

A skunk sprayed our neighbor's dog right outside our living room window. Now that entire side of the house smells of skunk still, now almost a week after the event.