Removing Skunk Smell from House

My dog was sprayed in the mouth by a skunk. It never smelled on his coat, but after he threw up, the smell overwhelmed the house. I found that he was sprayed right by my back door and it's also on the siding. Any suggestions?

Gina

Answers:

Removing Skunk Smell from House

Your poor dog, sprayed in the mouth. I can't imagine anything worse. There's a joke that ends up with the line "and my mouth tasted like a camel's backside" This would be even more horrible (not that I've had anything to do with camels, thank you). All my experience is a skunk spraying under the car (trying for a wild tomcat) and that took gasoline to take it off, AND I was screamed at for using such a flammable liquid. Don't do it. It wasn't that great. Good luck (01/15/2009)

By tennesue

Removing Skunk Smell from House

I sound like a broken record, but OdoBan from Sam's Club takes out skunk odor completely. I mixed it half and half. It will also take cat urine out of wooded floors but you need to put it on full strength and scrub it into the wood. Sarasota, FL (01/15/2009)

By Jo Ann

Removing Skunk Smell from House

I agree with a couple of posters - OdoBan is great and it has a eucalyptus scent. But before I would try anything with chemicals in it, try white vinegar. Buy a big bottle and pour some in bowls and mugs and put one in each room before you go to bed. In the morning, dump it out and it should help.

I would also go one step further by doing a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water and spray fabrics in the home - rugs, curtains, couch. The white vinegar smell disappears fairly quickly. It's a natural disinfectant and it does a great job of removing odors. (01/16/2009)

By dvg

Removing Skunk Smell from House

As a PS - I would wash down the siding too while you are at it. White vinegar, and water, with some dish soap to really get it clean. (01/16/2009)

By dvg

Removing Skunk Smell from House

Can't read all the responses. Too many, but did anyone say " tomato juice"?
That's what my mom used on her dog years ago. (01/16/2009)

By shirleyamh

Removing Skunk Smell from House

I sit here at 2:30 and had almost called the fire dept! The skunk smell is the worst garlic and onions I have ever smelled. It is below freezing outside so I cannot open my windows. I had turned off my heating system cause I thought it was burning electrical smell outside. I took the flashlight and went outside, no fire or electrical disaster. It was a skunk.

Now I have to wait until morning. But thankfully this site has given me solace that my house is not burning down. I run a small mail order business from the house too and hope that I won't be mailing skunk smell to people for the next week. I will be using the vinegar and crock pots. I am grateful for everyone's post here! (01/22/2009)

By Emily W.

Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk On white Background
Removing Skunk Odor From Carpet
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄