Removing Urine Odors from a Couch

Removing urine odors from upholstered furniture can be difficult. This is a guide about removing urine odors from a couch.

Couch with urine odors.
Filter Sort

Question: Cleaning Puppy Stains and Odors from Couch

By Kara 1

I have a hunter green micro suede couch that has been slobbered, vomited, and urinated on by my puppy. Any tricks to get the smell/stains out without ruining the color? I really don't want to pay $200 to get this cleaned when I know he'll just do it again. Thanks!

Kara from Coatesville, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have a cream colored micro-suede couch and a 6 year old in my home. It's been through a lot. I did not want to pay $200 to have it cleaned either. Instead, I purchased a steam cleaner for $139 and OxySteam solution. IT WORKS GREAT! It's not that great with hard core stains like ink or dye, but things like juice and dirt it's wonderful. The solution also leaves behind a nice fresh smell and all the urine and other wonderful juices are sucked out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Urine Odor on Microfiber Couch

By melissa 1

I need help and I have tried everything (so I think). My husband fell asleep on our couch and had an accident. It's not suede, but it feels like it and I can't get rid of the smell of urine to save my life. Is there something I am missing that I haven't tried?

By Melissa from Mesa, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria Hayes 19 96 Flag

Regular old grocery store vinegar-pour it directly on, let it soak in to the padding and sit for awhile.

Another product which is very good is Odo-Ban; it is kind of hard to find, but I have found it in the pet section at walMart, and Sam's Club carries it constantly, if you live near one. My brother before his death was a severe diabetic, and incontinent a lot. I put the Odo-ban in with the detergent in the machine and washed his sweat pants and it erased all, and I mean all signs there was ever any urine on them, and they would be SOAKED,and sit in the laundry sometimes a day or two before I had a load, so it works!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Urine from Couch Cushions and Frame

By Caseye 34 205

A friend's son had quite a big "accident" on my daughter's loveseat when he slept over, but didn't tell her. My daughter and her kids discovered it the following day, late in the afternoon when they were sitting on the couch and noticed it was pretty damp.

Because it was the weekend and no companies were open, she took the fabric covers off and washed them, but didn't know what to do with the cushions and the wood frame of the couch. She called several furniture cleaners on the following Monday, and was told it will be impossible to get the urine stain and odor out of the wood and foam cushions because the first 48 hours are so critical in getting out those stains and odors!

She also got estimates of over $1500 from upholsterers to redo the cushions and fabric, but no guarantee on the wood! Aside from getting all new furniture, which they cannot afford right now, do any ThirftyFun members have some tried-and-true solutions? Thanks very much.

By Caseye

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By hawthorndarkmoon 1 20 Flag

My son has a habit of not telling us when he has accidents on the couch and we will find them later, sometimes much later. What has worked well for us is to take the covers off and wash them in the washer with vinegar in a Downy ball instead of fabric softener. For the foam cushions, we Febreeze them until they are dripping and let the cushion dry in the sun. The cushion usually takes a couple of days to dry completely. We've never had the urine get on the wood so I don't know what would work with that. Maybe a pet urine product with enzymes in it would work?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

By nancy 1

How do I get human urine smell out of couch cushions?

By Nancy from Long Island, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Beth 25 1,120 Flag

Nature's Miracle for pet odors may work. They also make a solution for use in doing laundry. I know they have a web-site. It would be worth looking up to see if they have an upholstery cleaner.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Urine Odor from Microfiber Furniture

By Mommyx3 1

My son had an accident on my beautiful microfiber recliner. I soaked up as much of the pee as I could and then covered the area with baking soda and let it dry. It still smells strongly of urine! What can I use to get the smell out of the cushion/padding that is also safe for the fabric since it can't be removed?

By Mommyx3 from DC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Lisa 2 656 Flag

I used an enzymatic cleaner on my microfiber couch when our wee little kitten had an accident (pee). I have PetZyme from PetSmart, but you can find other brands elsewhere. I saturated the area, used the attachments from my carpet cleaner, and sprayed the area again. We have no pee smell, and no stains.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Urine Odor on Couch

By laxgirlash7 1

How do I get rid of a smell that smells like pee?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

www.animalplanet.com/pets/10-tips-for-cleaning-cat-urine/

SCOE10X is recommended.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Urine Odor from a Couch

By Irene C. 1 3

I am looking for something to remove odors in a couch, such as human urine and flatulence. Febreze only masks for a few minutes and leaves a film.

By Irene C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jean99 6 30 Flag

The way to get rid of the smell for good is with bio-remediation, that is, letting the correct bacteria eat the organic matter, ie, the urine. Make sure that whatever product you use has live bacterial spores. I use a product from Winsol Labs called Trio Plus. The smallest amount you can buy however, is one gallon. You don't need that much so you can buy a similar product like Nature's Miracle at a pet store, or Earthworm Septic Liquid. Any bacterial product made for septic systems like Rid-X will also work. Rid-X comes in liquid form but since you need so little of it I would recommend the powder which is less expensive.

Mix about a teaspoon of the powder with enough water to cover the area with the urine. Rid-X will not have a fragrance since it is meant for septic systems. Many of the products made for removing cat urine or spray have a pleasant odor. Either type will work.

The Winsol Labs web site describes how the process works. Basically, the good bacteria, the same ones that decompose organic matter in nature, eat the urine or other matter like blood

or feces, and leave only carbon dioxide and water. http://www.winsol.com/odorcontrol.htm. Scroll down to the paragraph that starts with the sentence "The real secret to removing sour milk, urine or food odors is to understand the nature of the problem."

Another good product is Earthworm Septic Liquid. http://www.acleanearth.com/ew_main_products.html. Whole Foods carries the Earthworm products. I like the Earthworm company because they do not test their products on animals.

Flatulence produces a gas which will quickly dissipate. If you still smell what you think is flatulence there is probably some organic matter on the couch, which can be removed with the same product. You'll need a product like Nature's Miracle. Walmart, and pet stores carry similar products. Get something that smells nice. Make sure that the product has live bacterial spores and is not just a cover up for odors. Call the manufacturer.

Spray or douse the couch cushions with the product. Add water if necessary to completely reach all of the urine. Wet the area on the couch and keep it wet or very moist for at least three or four days. You could put a plastic bag under the cushion and turn the cushion over so the side with the urine stays wet. If the urine went through the whole cushion, put it in a big plastic bag and do the same. If the smell is still there after it dries, repeat the process. If urine getting on the couch is a regular occurrence, spritz the couch cushions with Nature's Miracle or something similar with live bacterial spores. That way the 'beneficial' bacteria will start removing the urine as soon as it occurs. You can also spritz some around the bottom of the toilet if you have boys who sometimes miss the toilet. I hope this helps. Good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Urine from a Couch

By Marina 1

How do I remove the urine smell off the couch?

By Marina from San Diego, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood 4 563 Flag

Lots of white vinegar. Let it dry. No harm to most fabrics. Professionals use it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Urine Odor from Couch

By Janet Ford H. 1

What's the best way to get human urine stains and odor out of a couch?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Urine Odor Out of a Microfiber Recliner

reclinerHow do I get urine smell out of a light brown microfiber recliner?

By Brad P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Urine Off a Recliner

By Elaine C. 2

How do I clean a Lazyboy recliner that has human urine on the seat.

By Elaine C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Human Urine Smell from Couch

By the dinger 1

There is a urine smell on my couch which I am unable to get rid of. I would really appreciate any tips. Thanks.

By the dinger from Dublin

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Urine Odor from Furniture

By wd4mei 1

How do I remove human urine odor from furniture?

By cliftonc

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Urine Smell from Couch

How do I get my children's urine smell out of my couch? It's a corner couch and it has pillows for the back, So how do I get the smell out of my couch? I have tried everything. Does anyone know any tricks, because I have taken the covers off and washed them in the washer, but the couch cushions still smell like urine.

By Ashlee

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing a Dog Pee Stain on Couch

How do I remove a dog pee stain off the side of couch?

By Liza from Asheville, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

My 2 year old wet the bed, as so to speak on my couch. Is there anyway of removing urine from a couch cushion. I'm afraid if I throw in the washer it will mess my cushion up. I need all the suggestions I can get. Thank you.

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

Soak the area with a solution used for pet stains. We use Pet Out that we got at WalMart. You could try just soaking the area with vinegar first, but the pet solutions usually have enzymes that actually break down the odor causing bacteria. (06/11/2004)

By Patticat

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I've had this happen more than once. I pour a very generous amount of vinegar on the spot - probably 1/4 to 1/2 the bottle. After it soaks in, put cushion on its side and let it dry for a day or so. It always works for me. (06/11/2004)

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I just read something on this. First, of course, soak as much liquid as you can up with old towels. Then liberally pour borox on the area. Leave for a day - the borax will turn yellow. Remove borax and repeat until borax stays completely white and your urine will be all gone and absolutely no odor. (06/11/2004)

By Toni K.

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I have cleaned couch cushions by filling my washing machine with warm water in which I have put some solution for pet stains. Start the machine to mix well then shut machine off, put cushion in and squeeze water thru cushion by hand, let sit for a few minutes and squeeze water thru again. Then set machine to drain & spin. Fill with clean cold water, hand squeeze water thru cushion again, drain & spin. DO NOT USE THE ADJITATOR. (06/12/2004)

By Anna Sellars

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

Enzyme products are expensive and do not always remove all of the offending odors. Make sure it soaks the entire stained area and then place the cushion in a large plastic trash bag for 24 hrs. opening it occasionally to prevent mildew. After the soaking period is over place in the sun if possible (it naturally deodorizes) or use a fan to dry.

(10/10/2004)

By Danielle

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

When this happened at my house I couldn't find anything that worked until I took the couch cushions to the car wash. They have a foaming carpet cleaner there and I went over the cushions several times until I didn't smell it anymore! Try it! (04/26/2005)

By Laura T.

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I had a Pug who just peed on my Couch, and I took the cushions and soaked them to get the urine out. Now I can't get the cushions dried, now can I get rid of the urine and get my cushions dried. Please help. (01/04/2006)

By Sag48602

Carwash

I actually took my cushions to the carwash, washed and rinsed them, poured vinegar and water on them, rinsed them out, and they never would dry! I ended up getting new cushions- $40.00 each- not too bad. (01/04/2006)

By Cristie

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I was able to clean a mattress in the back yard with
      Greased Lightning and the garden hose
      lots of sun drying. Soaked through then dried
      Is urine-off available in retail stores? (03/24/2006)

By bedwetter's mom

Steam Cleaner

I steamed cleaned mine with my steam cleaner using orange formula cleanser. It not only worked but made my whole living room smell like citrus. If that doesn't work get some totally toddler from the baby section of walmart and clean it with that. To dry either set out to air dry or use a blow dryer. (10/02/2006)

By

Urine-Off

Whoever claimed that Urine-Off has never had a dissatisfied customer has not done a web-search of the product. There are many who have posted on the internet claiming that, like most enzyme cleaners for urine stains, it does not work. The latest entry to the market is Urine Gone which started as an "as seen on tv" product. I've read claims that it is a miracle cleaner (like the Urine-Off) as well as claims that it is rubbish. (12/20/2006)

By interested mom-of-4

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

Following is the text of an email query I sent in January 2007, to the polyurethane foam association (FPA), a resource for information about flexible polyurethane foam cushioning in the United States, at www.pfa.org.

"I am writing to ask if you know whether my polyurethane foam couch cushions may be submerged in water & hand washed with a gentle detergent for the purpose of removing pet urine."

For what it may or may not be worth to you, this is the response I received several days later:

If the cushioning is 100% flexible polyurethane foam, it is possible that hand washing with mild detergent could be successful. If you elect to do this, allow several days (perhaps more than a week) for the foam to dry naturally. Flexible polyurethane foam should never be dried using a hair drier, heat gun, clothes drier or heat lamp. This could create a very dangerous fire situation should the foam become heated to an ignition point by radiant heat or a spark.

However, if the foam contains organic filler materials or a fiber wrap, exposure to water and a mild detergent could be destructive to the cushion.

You may also find that removing the foam from the cushion cover is much easier than replacing the cover after cleaning. Fitting a 7" cushion back into its cover could be very challenging.

Bottom line, we have no way of knowing the cushion content....and because of that, we are not able to provide cleaning suggestions. Only [the manufacturer] can provide that information.

Regards,

(Name Here)
      Executive Director"

I got the manufacturer and model number of our couch by calling the store through we had purchased and financed. Unfortunately, manufacturer has no email address and to date has not responded to telephone messages left on their automatic answering machine. So I am starting out with least intrusive suggestions on this site and going from there. Thank you all! (01/06/2007)

By Samayas

Archive: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

My son feel asleep on the couch and had an accident, the couch is only 4 months old and has a large urine spot. How do I clean it?

Lisa from Burrillville, Rhode Island

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

My cat developed a UTI and before I could take her to the vet she went on our couch. We tried everything but the urine had soaked into the cushion. So cleaning the fabric was useless.

I took the cushion out of the fabric and placed it in my shower and soaked it with 'Kids & Pets' from the grocery store. I let it soak in for a while and then ran warm water from the shower on it to rinse it off. I flipped it over and repeated the same on the other side. This completely eliminated the odor as well as the urine. This was done with a foam and down mix cushion.

To dry it I squeezed the water out of the cushion and dried with a fan and hairdryer. Also make sure you hang the cushion and allow the water to drain out so that it does not sit in the water as it dries. The water that is coming out will be mixed with urine so you do not want it to dry in the cushion again.

This method worked wonders for our couch. (02/19/2007)

By Sick Cat

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Urine off does not work they have a guarantee on their product but they expect to receive your bottle within 7 days of purchase. By the time I even tried the stuff it was 7 days. They do not work don't buy it! (02/20/2007)

By Cat woman

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

I have a dog that thought my couch was a potty TWICE. I took the covers off the cushion and put them in the bath tub with Woolite. I got it sudsy and basically hand washed them. Then turned on the shower head and tried to get as much out as possible. Wrung it out and hung it over the shower curtain rod. I have a chenille type material couch *will never buy one again while owning pet* and it worked really well. (08/05/2007)

By Elizabeth

Archive: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

I have 6 kids and 4 dogs and a 1 1/2 year old tan microfiber sectional. The rubbing alcohol trick has worked up until now to clean up general stains, but the dogs started peeing on it for some reason and the cushions are filled with feathers. Any ideas on how to get the urine out of the cushions? The cushion covers I can clean, but the feathers I am stumped over.

Jennifer from Gilbert, AZ

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

This is like closing the door after the dog gets out; but when I bought a new couch, I took the fabric off the cushion, put the cushion in a heavy duty plastic rubbish bag, folded the excess and used duct tape to seal it. Then put the fabric back on. Have 4 dogs and this has saved lots of scolding. Took the cushions [after several years], had denim material cut as I would wrapping paper for a present and wrapped each cushion, securing openings with large safety pins. When dirty, remove the straight piece of fabric, wash, dry, and put back on cushions. (08/14/2007)

By JoanDogs

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

My son soaked my chaise during a nap, and to get rid of the smell I used Kids n Pets from Wal Mart. It really did work, although I had to use two bottles. After a day it was dry and while it smelled like chemicals for a few days, at least it wasn't pee. It wasn't too horrible of a smell either, not very strong, only if you were lying on the bed. (10/04/2007)

By Potty-Training Mommy

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

I highly recommend Nature's Miracle. It has worked for me numerous times. You can find it at most pet stores. (11/14/2007)

By Ashley

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Urine is generally acidic so it would make sense to neutralize it with a base, something soapy. It is soluble in water, so it should come out as long as you rinse it well. (11/30/2007)

By Peter

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

To get my cushions to dry I just set them in front of our heat vents for 2 days. (03/05/2008)

By J

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

(submitted via email)

Do not soak with water unless you are sure it will dry. I washed my cushions and kept them in the sun to dry. It was over 100 degrees out. They never dried and I left them out for a week.

Annette (05/12/2008)

By jess

Archive: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

How do you get dog urine out of couch cushions?

By alynnanthony from Moline, IL

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Full strength vinegar is said to neutralize dog urine odor, but I would remove the cover from the cushion first, if it is removable. I wouldn't put vinegar or any other liquid on the cushion unless you are sure the cushion will dry after the treatment. (07/10/2009)

By Fortunately

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Can you take the cover off the cushion? I'd wash the cover separately, probably by hand. I'd also put the cushion in the tub and wash it out with some detergent and put the cushion out in the sun to dry.

(07/13/2009)

By kghsave

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Product: Urine Off. Works great. (07/13/2009)

By Genifromalamp

Archive: Urine Odor on Microfiber Couch

My daughter still pees at night and has peed through her pull-up a few times right onto my microfiber couch. I am looking for a home remedy to take out the smell. Can anyone help me?

By Charity from Indianapolis, IN

Feedback:

RE: Urine Odor on Microfiber Couch

Try sprinkling some baking soda on there and leaving it for a few days and then vacuum up. It helps with odor. Resolve helps for stains. (10/20/2009)

By Lisa

RE: Urine Odor on Microfiber Couch

I know 2 products that work.

First Choice: Complete Stain N Odor Remover. I bought mine at Target. It really works, has a pleasant scent, and is inexpensive. We have a dog and an elderly mum. Although I don't use it often, it really gets everything out and makes it sanitary as it kills bacteria as well. I would saturate it and allow it to penetrate down into the couch. It's clear liquid, but you may want to test it on an inconspicuous spot.
      I keep some in a bottle to refresh floors and couches from puppy feet. It's in the pet section.

Second Choice: Odo-Ban also works.

Hope this helps you. Urine scent is hard to remove because the uric acid crystals stay on the fabric and when there is moisture in the air the scent will return. Have not experience that with the Complete. (10/22/2009)

By italianswede

RE: Urine Odor on Microfiber Couch

Lemon juice and white vinegar, let sit in the sun for 8 hours. This will get rid of the smell, then use some fabric cleaner. (10/22/2009)

By Nmh1970

Archive: Removing Urine from a Couch

Can baking soda clean up urine from my couch?

Angela from MI

Feedback:

RE: Removing Urine from a Couch

Probably not effectively. Look in either the pet section or baby section at Walmart/Target and you should find something called Urine Gone or something like that. That will probably work pretty well.

Is this human or pet? If it's a pet you need to neutralize the smell otherwise they will continue. I had a cat that had a bladder infection and he would pee in the middle of my daughter's bed or in her closet on the clothes. It made me so mad until I took him to the vet. I have found that if you liberally soak in white vinegar it does neutralize cat/dog urine. (12/10/2008)

By jasanders

RE: Removing Urine from a Couch

I use Resolve, It works perfectly on human and animal urine. (12/11/2008)

By castleberrycc

RE: Removing Urine from a Couch

White vinegar applied liberally (in other words soak it) will get rid of the smell. There is nothing better for urine odor removal, whether human or cat and it doesn't harm fabrics. (12/11/2008)

By castorswind

RE: Removing Urine from a Couch

There is a product called Nature's Miracle in the pet store. It creates a chemical reaction with the enzymes in urine. It works really well for pet and human urine. We had to use it several times when my daughter was younger. The key is you have to soak the spot with it and it may take several treatments. Of course on a couch, test it first. (12/15/2008)

By craftygirlz

Archive: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

How do I remove pet urine smell from red microfiber sofa?

By Houndy from Rye, NH

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Use a pet cleaner and odor remover with enzymes, spray it deep into the couch where the pee is and leave it wet. Cover the wet area with a plastic bag (to help keep it wet, it quits working when it dries!). You may have to repeat this again the next day. The enzymes work to help the pee break down and biodegrade quicker.

The brands I like best are: "Out!" and "Veterinary Strength OutRight". Look for the word "enzyme" on the front. You can buy these products at Walmart, Target, K-mart, pet stores, on-line, and sometimes at the vet's (for more money).

* When the couch is nearly dry, but still a little bit damp, take an old toothbrush and lightly brush the pile of the microfiber back and forth so it stands up again. Then brush it again when it dries. (03/14/2010)

By Cyinda

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

First put cold wet towel on it and let soak overnight. Next day spray with hydrogen peroxide. Let dry, repeat if necessary. (03/16/2010)

By rosemary1136

RE: Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Ten months ago I used fogger products from Biocide systems to remove cigarette smell. It work effortlessly and the smells never came back. They also have a liquid solution for pet accidents. You should really Google them. You will be amazed! (03/18/2010)

By Marisol72

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureSeptember 21, 2012
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Dog on Laminate Flooring
      Removing Pet Urine Stains and Odors from Laminate Flooring
      woman holding her nose
      Getting Rid of Urine Odors
      Dog Urinating Outdoors
      Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
      cleaning products on a floor
      Removing Pet Urine Odors on Floors
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:50:47 PM on 10.0.2.20 in 926 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsProductsArchives
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings