Browsing: Removing Urine Odors from a Couch

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Urine Odors from a Couch

Removing urine odors from upholstered furniture can be difficult. This is a guide about removing urine odors from a couch.

Couch with urine odors.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 2, 2016 Flag

My couch has over night urine on it. How can I remove the stain and odor?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to remove human urine from upholstery?

Help! how can I get pee off my couch from my dog?

March 11, 2016 Flag

My elderly mother peed on my couch. Is there anything I could do to get the pee smell out of the cushions?

My dog pees on my couch and I had it cleaned and it still smells of pee

How to remove pee smell from couch

Read More Answers...

September 10, 2015 Flag

How do I get rid of a smell that smells like pee?

www.animalplanet.com/pets/10-tips-for-cleaning-cat-urine/

SCOE10X is recommended.

by using dishwater liquid mixed with water

August 20, 2013 Flag

How do I get my children's urine smell out of my couch? It's a corner couch and it has pillows for the back, So how do I get the smell out of my couch? I have tried everything. Does anyone know any tricks, because I have taken the covers off and washed them in the washer, but the couch cushions still smell like urine.

By Ashlee

When I had an infant, my pet cat was very angry about it. She would pee on our couch, our bed, any piece of clothing left on the floor. I used the product KidsNPets, which is an enzyme cleaner, like Nature's Miracle. Soak the cushion and then let it dry. As the cleaner hits the urine, it changes it to something else that doesn't smell. If you have nice enough weather, you might try drying it outside because sunshine can also help with odors.

Good luck! They will be old enough for a new couch soon enough. :)

I am having this issue at this very moment. My daughter had an accident on the couch after she fell asleep there and I didn't carry her to her bed. I cleaned her up and got her in bed and fell back asleep before taking care of our new sofa. This morning I used my carpet cleaner with upholstery attachments to clean the cushions. I used cold water and a cap full of vinegar (I wasn't sure if the vinegar would harm the fabric) and sucked up as much moisture as possible. The odor was still very strong so I used baking soda very liberally all over the cushions. I took handfuls and spread it all over the fabric and interior foam cushion (after unzipping it partially because the urine was right where the zipper stops and the fabric continues). Again, I used a lot and pressed it into the foam and all over the fabric. I wasn't too worried because we have a warranty that covers these instances and allows for you to try and remove stains yourself before making a claim. I figured if it didn't work I'd just call the company and fill out the many forms and send them in along with the blood of my firstborn (they don't make it easy to file these claims at all!). After letting the baking soda sit for a few minutes I got impatient and vacuumed it up. The smell was dissipating but was still there. I reapplied the baking soda and let it sit for a solid 30-45 minutes. I looked at the cushions and thought to myself, I'm never going to get all of this up so I better go hunt down that receipt if I don't want my couch to forever look like I dumped a bag of flour on it. Well, to my surprise, my conservatively priced nothing fancy vacuum cleaner with the little brush attachment picked up every last bit of baking soda and the super fine dust left over came out with a good beating. The odors are gone and I don't have to sacrifice a lamb to the warranty gods and submit forms in triplicate after being notarized and stamped with the ink from a giant squid. Hope this helps and good luck. Next time I'll suck it up and carry her to bed with the traumatic images of the carnage that was my sofa today.

Read More Answers...

January 16, 2008 Flag

I have a hunter green micro suede couch that has been slobbered, vomited, and urinated on by my puppy. Any tricks to get the smell/stains out without ruining the color? I really don't want to pay $200 to get this cleaned when I know he'll just do it again. Thanks!

Kara from Coatesville, PA

In re Marcie; some pet owners don't mind their animal-kids being on furniture.

I have a cream colored micro-suede couch and a 6 year old in my home. It's been through a lot. I did not want to pay $200 to have it cleaned either. Instead, I purchased a steam cleaner for $139 and OxySteam solution. IT WORKS GREAT! It's not that great with hard core stains like ink or dye, but things like juice and dirt it's wonderful. The solution also leaves behind a nice fresh smell and all the urine and other wonderful juices are sucked out.

Read More Answers...

June 7, 2010 Flag

My son had an accident on my beautiful microfiber recliner. I soaked up as much of the pee as I could and then covered the area with baking soda and let it dry. It still smells strongly of urine! What can I use to get the smell out of the cushion/padding that is also safe for the fabric since it can't be removed?

By Mommyx3 from DC

Best Answer

I used an enzymatic cleaner on my microfiber couch when our wee little kitten had an accident (pee). I have PetZyme from PetSmart, but you can find other brands elsewhere. I saturated the area, used the attachments from my carpet cleaner, and sprayed the area again. We have no pee smell, and no stains.

April 25, 2010 Flag

I need help and I have tried everything (so I think). My husband fell asleep on our couch and had an accident. It's not suede, but it feels like it and I can't get rid of the smell of urine to save my life. Is there something I am missing that I haven't tried?

By Melissa from Mesa, AZ

Regular old grocery store vinegar-pour it directly on, let it soak in to the padding and sit for awhile.

Another product which is very good is Odo-Ban; it is kind of hard to find, but I have found it in the pet section at walMart, and Sam's Club carries it constantly, if you live near one. My brother before his death was a severe diabetic, and incontinent a lot. I put the Odo-ban in with the detergent in the machine and washed his sweat pants and it erased all, and I mean all signs there was ever any urine on them, and they would be SOAKED,and sit in the laundry sometimes a day or two before I had a load, so it works!

How do I get the urine odor out of a attached couch cushion?

Read More Answers...

August 16, 2011 Flag

A friend's son had quite a big "accident" on my daughter's loveseat when he slept over, but didn't tell her. My daughter and her kids discovered it the following day, late in the afternoon when they were sitting on the couch and noticed it was pretty damp.

Because it was the weekend and no companies were open, she took the fabric covers off and washed them, but didn't know what to do with the cushions and the wood frame of the couch. She called several furniture cleaners on the following Monday, and was told it will be impossible to get the urine stain and odor out of the wood and foam cushions because the first 48 hours are so critical in getting out those stains and odors!

She also got estimates of over $1500 from upholsterers to redo the cushions and fabric, but no guarantee on the wood! Aside from getting all new furniture, which they cannot afford right now, do any ThirftyFun members have some tried-and-true solutions? Thanks very much.

By Caseye

I have a small Bissel Little Green Machine that I use on upholstery. Maybe this would work on the foam? Or setting them out to air in the sunlight? Washing the wood down with vinegar? These are all guesses. I did have a grandchild urinate on the mattress once, before I put a waterproof pad on it, and the Little Green Machine did wonders, but it was fresh. Good Luck!

My son has a habit of not telling us when he has accidents on the couch and we will find them later, sometimes much later. What has worked well for us is to take the covers off and wash them in the washer with vinegar in a Downy ball instead of fabric softener. For the foam cushions, we Febreeze them until they are dripping and let the cushion dry in the sun. The cushion usually takes a couple of days to dry completely. We've never had the urine get on the wood so I don't know what would work with that. Maybe a pet urine product with enzymes in it would work?

December 16, 2010 Flag

How do I get human urine smell out of couch cushions?

By Nancy from Long Island, NY

Fill an 8 oz spray bottle with hot water and add 10 drops of tea tree oil. shake well. spray the mixture thoroughly over the soiled area. Set the cushion outside to air dry. I think you'll be amazed at how nicely the tea tree oil cleans.

Nature's Miracle for pet odors may work. They also make a solution for use in doing laundry. I know they have a web-site. It would be worth looking up to see if they have an upholstery cleaner.

September 18, 2012 Flag

I am looking for something to remove odors in a couch, such as human urine and flatulence. Febreze only masks for a few minutes and leaves a film.

By Irene C.

The way to get rid of the smell for good is with bio-remediation, that is, letting the correct bacteria eat the organic matter, ie, the urine. Make sure that whatever product you use has live bacterial spores. I use a product from Winsol Labs called Trio Plus. The smallest amount you can buy however, is one gallon. You don't need that much so you can buy a similar product like Nature's Miracle at a pet store, or Earthworm Septic Liquid. Any bacterial product made for septic systems like Rid-X will also work. Rid-X comes in liquid form but since you need so little of it I would recommend the powder which is less expensive.

Mix about a teaspoon of the powder with enough water to cover the area with the urine. Rid-X will not have a fragrance since it is meant for septic systems. Many of the products made for removing cat urine or spray have a pleasant odor. Either type will work.

The Winsol Labs web site describes how the process works. Basically, the good bacteria, the same ones that decompose organic matter in nature, eat the urine or other matter like blood

or feces, and leave only carbon dioxide and water. http://www.winsol.com/odorcontrol.htm. Scroll down to the paragraph that starts with the sentence "The real secret to removing sour milk, urine or food odors is to understand the nature of the problem."

Another good product is Earthworm Septic Liquid. http://www.acleanearth.com/ew_main_products.html. Whole Foods carries the Earthworm products. I like the Earthworm company because they do not test their products on animals.

Flatulence produces a gas which will quickly dissipate. If you still smell what you think is flatulence there is probably some organic matter on the couch, which can be removed with the same product. You'll need a product like Nature's Miracle. Walmart, and pet stores carry similar products. Get something that smells nice. Make sure that the product has live bacterial spores and is not just a cover up for odors. Call the manufacturer.

Spray or douse the couch cushions with the product. Add water if necessary to completely reach all of the urine. Wet the area on the couch and keep it wet or very moist for at least three or four days. You could put a plastic bag under the cushion and turn the cushion over so the side with the urine stays wet. If the urine went through the whole cushion, put it in a big plastic bag and do the same. If the smell is still there after it dries, repeat the process. If urine getting on the couch is a regular occurrence, spritz the couch cushions with Nature's Miracle or something similar with live bacterial spores. That way the 'beneficial' bacteria will start removing the urine as soon as it occurs. You can also spritz some around the bottom of the toilet if you have boys who sometimes miss the toilet. I hope this helps. Good luck

November 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove the urine smell off the couch?

By Marina from San Diego, CA

Lots of white vinegar. Let it dry. No harm to most fabrics. Professionals use it.

December 16, 2010 Flag

How do I remove pet urine smell from red microfiber sofa?

Load More
        Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureSeptember 21, 2012
        Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
        Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
        Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
        Repairing Couch Springs
        woman holding her nose
        Getting Rid of Urine Odors
        Dog Urinating Outdoors
        Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 28, 2016 at 7:02:38 AM on 10.0.0.199 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.