Removing Urine Odors from a Couch

Removing urine odors from upholstered furniture can be difficult. This is a guide about removing urine odors from a couch.

August 20, 2013 Flag

How do I get my children's urine smell out of my couch? It's a corner couch and it has pillows for the back, So how do I get the smell out of my couch? I have tried everything. Does anyone know any tricks, because I have taken the covers off and washed them in the washer, but the couch cushions still smell like urine.

By Ashlee

Best Answer

When I had an infant, my pet cat was very angry about it. She would pee on our couch, our bed, any piece of clothing left on the floor. I used the product KidsNPets, which is an enzyme cleaner, like Nature's Miracle. Soak the cushion and then let it dry. As the cleaner hits the urine, it changes it to something else that doesn't smell. If you have nice enough weather, you might try drying it outside because sunshine can also help with odors.

Good luck! They will be old enough for a new couch soon enough. :)

I will try your suggestion ... but the reason I'm writing you is to tell you that you had me rolling... thanks for the laugh you're awesome !

March 11, 2016 Flag

My elderly mother peed on my couch. Is there anything I could do to get the pee smell out of the cushions?

Best Answer

Baking soda

July 2, 2016 Flag

My couch has over night urine on it. How can I remove the stain and odor?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to remove human urine from upholstery?

Help! how can I get pee off my couch from my dog?

September 10, 2015 Flag

How do I get rid of a smell that smells like pee?

www.animalplanet.com/pets/10-tips-for-cleaning-cat-urine/

SCOE10X is recommended.

by using dishwater liquid mixed with water

January 16, 2008 Flag

I have a hunter green micro suede couch that has been slobbered, vomited, and urinated on by my puppy. Any tricks to get the smell/stains out without ruining the color? I really don't want to pay $200 to get this cleaned when I know he'll just do it again. Thanks!

Kara from Coatesville, PA

Best Answer

Woolite Oxy Pet Stain remover, it's in a gray spray bottle. Doesn't smell bad at all, and it's supposed to keep the animals from doing anything in the same spot! Worked great on the stain right away, had to use three applications for the odor, but it worked. Our Black Lab just turned two in November, but thankfully he still kept all his GOOD puppy traits!

In re Marcie; some pet owners don't mind their animal-kids being on furniture.

April 25, 2010 Flag

I need help and I have tried everything (so I think). My husband fell asleep on our couch and had an accident. It's not suede, but it feels like it and I can't get rid of the smell of urine to save my life. Is there something I am missing that I haven't tried?

By Melissa from Mesa, AZ

Best Answer

Have you tried an enzymatic cleaner? I use Petzyme from Petsmart for pet accidents, but the enzymatic cleaners can be used on any organic messes (urine, feces, vomit, blood). There are other brands available, too. When we rescued a little kitten, he had an accident on the couch (pee), and I used Petzyme on it. I've never had a problem with any of my cats coming back to that area. Best of luck!

I saw on tv that vinegar would remove the urine smell. Mix a small amount of vinegar in a bottle of water and soak the area. Them take a dry towel and dab it dry. Also you can use it to water your sheets in.

June 7, 2010 Flag

My son had an accident on my beautiful microfiber recliner. I soaked up as much of the pee as I could and then covered the area with baking soda and let it dry. It still smells strongly of urine! What can I use to get the smell out of the cushion/padding that is also safe for the fabric since it can't be removed?

By Mommyx3 from DC

Best Answer

I used an enzymatic cleaner on my microfiber couch when our wee little kitten had an accident (pee). I have PetZyme from PetSmart, but you can find other brands elsewhere. I saturated the area, used the attachments from my carpet cleaner, and sprayed the area again. We have no pee smell, and no stains.

August 16, 2011 Flag

A friend's son had quite a big "accident" on my daughter's loveseat when he slept over, but didn't tell her. My daughter and her kids discovered it the following day, late in the afternoon when they were sitting on the couch and noticed it was pretty damp.

Because it was the weekend and no companies were open, she took the fabric covers off and washed them, but didn't know what to do with the cushions and the wood frame of the couch. She called several furniture cleaners on the following Monday, and was told it will be impossible to get the urine stain and odor out of the wood and foam cushions because the first 48 hours are so critical in getting out those stains and odors!

She also got estimates of over $1500 from upholsterers to redo the cushions and fabric, but no guarantee on the wood! Aside from getting all new furniture, which they cannot afford right now, do any ThirftyFun members have some tried-and-true solutions? Thanks very much.

By Caseye

I have a small Bissel Little Green Machine that I use on upholstery. Maybe this would work on the foam? Or setting them out to air in the sunlight? Washing the wood down with vinegar? These are all guesses. I did have a grandchild urinate on the mattress once, before I put a waterproof pad on it, and the Little Green Machine did wonders, but it was fresh. Good Luck!

My son has a habit of not telling us when he has accidents on the couch and we will find them later, sometimes much later. What has worked well for us is to take the covers off and wash them in the washer with vinegar in a Downy ball instead of fabric softener. For the foam cushions, we Febreeze them until they are dripping and let the cushion dry in the sun. The cushion usually takes a couple of days to dry completely. We've never had the urine get on the wood so I don't know what would work with that. Maybe a pet urine product with enzymes in it would work?

December 16, 2010 Flag

How do I get human urine smell out of couch cushions?

By Nancy from Long Island, NY

Fill an 8 oz spray bottle with hot water and add 10 drops of tea tree oil. shake well. spray the mixture thoroughly over the soiled area. Set the cushion outside to air dry. I think you'll be amazed at how nicely the tea tree oil cleans.

Nature's Miracle for pet odors may work. They also make a solution for use in doing laundry. I know they have a web-site. It would be worth looking up to see if they have an upholstery cleaner.

September 18, 2012 Flag

I am looking for something to remove odors in a couch, such as human urine and flatulence. Febreze only masks for a few minutes and leaves a film.

November 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove the urine smell off the couch?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureSeptember 21, 2012
Products
Kids 'N' Pets Stain and Odor Remover
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
woman holding her nose
Getting Rid of Urine Odors
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
🎉
🎄