Browsing: Rent Assistance for a Low Income Family

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Rent Assistance for a Low Income Family

Depending on where you are located, there are programs available that can help pay the rent. This guide is about rent assistance for a low income family.

Sticky note reminder to pay the rent.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 27, 2012 Flag

I need help paying my rent. I am a mother of 3. I lost my job and I need help to pay my rent before 10 days are up or I will be evicted. I have no money for Christmas, that's OK. I just need help to keep a roof over their heads. Please tell me where I can find help for my family.

By Cheryl

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Even if you'd move into subsidized housing you would still need rent and deposit. I think your best bet would be churches, even if they will only help a little it might be enough to keep you from being homeless. Sign up for cash assistance at your local welfare until you can get back on your feet.

Best Answer

You can go to a local church or try the county outreach program, where you sign up for food stamps. They may be able to send you in the right direction. To get help with housing since there are so many on the housing list waiting and government seems to ignore that fact. You will be better off getting homeless and going to a shelter for women and children. Ky will pay for housing for a whole year if you go into a shelter. Otherwise there is no help for you. Good Luck, hope the community services can help.

Maybe try Catholic Charities?

Salvation Army, Social Services, Churches, Crisis Ministries in your area. If your landlord is willing you can apply for housing assistance. Good Luck

Try social services, ask your lanlord i'm sure they will help you find some housing assistance or who to contact, they know you have kids and chances are if they have a heart they will think of their welfare and lead you in the right direction.

March 10, 2016 Flag

I am on SSI and getting 600.00. I live in a mobile home and I have lot rent to pay. My lot rent is 500.00. Are there any agencies in Glendale Arizona that can help me with the rent or my light bill which is 130.00 a month. I don't know what to do about my bills. Thank you.

Can you get a part-time job? How about a roommate to help share costs?

HUD section 8 voucher program {try glendale housing athority}or ask at SSA{{{hud could be an apartment at 30% of your income}BUT not sure if it allows trailers in AZ....They can steer you to energy assistance too.

I believe APS has a program that will help with the electric bill. I would try to get some help from them.

Maybe you could talk to the manager at the MHP & explain the situation. Possibly volunteer to help at the park in exchange for a reduced lot rent? Sorry you are dealing with this & Hope you find a solution soon.

Time to call your town hall to see if they have any programs that you could use. If you're a Senior there's a program called LIHEAP (in Illinois)that gives you a monthly amount to pay your electric & heating gas bills. Again, start with the Senior Services Dept. in your town. Have you applied for Public Aid? Good luck.

June 17, 2014 Flag

Does anyone know where I can get rental assistance in northern New Jersey? I live in Kearny, New Jersey. I have tried many places, but no one seems to want to help.

By Lynda

Have you checked with the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office? All states/cities have an assistance program, that is funded by the Federal Government. I think is is called Section 8, and it has slightly different names all over. Usually there is a waiting list that is quit long to get onto the program. Where I live, in a city of about 150,000 people there is roughly a five year waiting list to get the assistance.

January 25, 2007 Flag

How do I find an apartment in NC to rent on my social Security supplemental income? I am younger than 46 and I am widowed. I have 2 cats. My income is less than $426.00 per month only.

Eliza from Charlotte, NC

Section 8 housing...every city has them. call your local social services department and they will help you. Only 30% of your income will be taken from you to pay for your rent & utilities (minus your phone bill and there is no air conditioning in the units unless you put a window unit in).

I draw SSDI too and that is what I had to do. The places are not fancy here but they are clean and warm in the winter.

Of course, the walls are very thin and you can hear everything that is going on next door, but generally folks are nice and turn their tv's down and try not to fight with the kids etc.

Good luck to you and GOD BLESS!

See if your city has HUD housing It goes according to your income. Since you're drawing soc sec at a young age You no doubt will qualify. Some accept pets but a deposit of 300.00 is required here in Michigan. Its worth checking into. Good Luck!

Check in phone book.for the local housing authority.

Hello and thank you for your replies. I have applied for public housing which is a 3-4 year wait here.

Eliza

The waiting list for HUD housing is 2-5 years in NC (Wake County)

Budget & Finance Paying BillsDecember 2, 2012
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
A couple renting a car.
Renting a Car Without a Credit Card
Collecting Rent Money
Collecting Rent from Former Tenant
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:44:17 AM on 10.0.2.251 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.