Repairing Purses

Category Other
Pink Purse on White Background
Don't throw out your favorite purse just because it is broken or slightly damaged; try repairing it. This is a guide about repairing purses.

I've had this brand new handbag for many years now, but it just sits in the closet because, although I like the brown crocheted material of the handbag, I wasn't too crazy about its faux lizard trim on the handle. (I bought it for about $12.95 at the Navy Exchange). I found a cute belt from the thrift shop so I ripped off the original handle and hand-sewed the belt. Voila! A brand new handbag you won't find anywhere else!

By grdnlvr from San Diego, CA

This would be a great fix if you had a purse you liked but the handle was worn. Love it!

Great idea!

Just so clever, and it looks great!

I just got a lovely designer handbag as a gift, spring colors! It's sort of a Coach bag with part fabric, so I am going to have to spray it with Scotchgard before I use it, to help keep it clean and new looking longer. I do that with all my canvas bags/shoes and other fabric goods that might get easily soiled. For my Ugg boots, I bought special suede protector/waterproofer.

That's exactly how I have been able to keep and use most every pair of shoes/bag that I've ever bought in all these years! Don't you LOVE it? : )

great idea...i will try this...thks

janet

Purse straps are definitely the part of the purse that gets the most stress so are more likely to need repairing. This is a guide about repairing purse straps.

Closeup of purse strap.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Buckles and other hardware from old purses can be saved for crafts or preparing another purse later on. This is a guide about save hardware from old purses.

An old leather purse with usable hardware.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I would like to have repairs done on a per Coach Bag that my sister had gotten me. It needs new handles and the strip in the front needs to be replaced. I would like to know about how much it would cost. Does anyone know where I can get this information?

Any shoe repair shop can fix your bag. They will give you a price estimate and repair should only take a couple of days, depending upon their business.

If is a true Coach bag and not a knockoff then Coach will repair it. Coach bags have a lifetime guarantee. Reach out to them and provide the info and they will give you the next steps.

$20 if you send it to the Coach repair place that you find on their website. I did it and it was as simple as sending $20 and filling out a form as long as it is a genuine Coach brand purse.

Anonymous

Be careful . That was not my experience . They returned my bag and said it couldn't be repaired. I was sent a 40% voucher . Why would I spend money on another bag ? They don't always repair their product . Sad but true .

From Coach website. http://www.coac  ir-services.html

We offer a one year warranty on our handbags, briefcases and small leather goods.

Beyond the warranty period, we offer repair services for some of our products at set fees. Please see our Repair Policy.

Please call 1-800-444-3611 or email Repairs@coach.com for more information.

Try asking a manager at an official COACH store. You can try a luggage repair or some shoe repair shops fix purses too.

This is my favorite handbag gifted to me by a special person. I was riding a bicycle and put this bag on the handle. I don't know how, but it got a a hole and few scratches. My heart sank when I saw the hole. I am a college student. I can't afford to lose it or get it repaired in a professional store. Kindly suggest a thrifty, cheapest, almost free solution to repair it and reuse it. I don't mind doing it by myself. I just want it repaired and reusable. Please help me.

Take your purse to a shoe repair service, look for one in a nice area, and ask for an estimate for repair. You might be surprised at what they can do.

I can't think of any way to repair that sort of damage. Is it a real leather handbag, or synthetic? If it was more of a sporty bag, you might be able to glue a patch on it that might look cute, but since this is such a dressy bag, I think you should check out a shoe repair place and see if they can fix it for you.

Anonymous

Patch it up across the entire bottom portion of the purse with vinyl of the same color.

This can be found at JoAnn's or even Hobby Lobby.

Get a leather repair kit at walmart for ten dollars. Do it yourself.

Goodluck

Could someone help me revive the brown leather design and strap of my Celine bag? This bag is my favorite and I want to put life into it again, bring it to its glory. Hope you could all share tips.

Thank you so much.

A good shoe repair shop will be able to clean, repair, update, etc., your bag.

question:

Did you purchase this handbag new? Do you know for certain it is a genuine Celine and not a "knock-off/fake"?

If it genuine - then - Considering the cost of almost any Celine handbag I would not recommend trying to do any cleaning or repairs with any "home" products.

Ordinarily, I would also recommend a local repair shop but - with a handbag like this???

There might be a local shoe repair shop in your area that would know something about "refurbishing" a purse but probably NOT one in/of this price category.

If you were to first tell the repair man the approximate cost of this purse and ask if he would guarantee not to mess up your bag - most likely he wouldn't touch it "with a ten foot pole".

Celine will almost always clean and repair their handbags - AND - many times the repair/cleaning is free - they may even send you a postage paid shipping box to ship it in.

Here is an email link to Celine that may get you started on what to expect from their customer services division:

https://www.cel … ormation/contact

If you find that you have a nice looking "fake" Celine then a local repair shop could probably do a very good job.

If you still wish to try some home solutions then you should first try to determine all types of material your bag is made of.

You can probably find a lot of suggestions on Google for each type of material.

As for leather, I often use leather cleaning/restoring products from my local auto store or even from the automotive section in Walmart or Target stores.

Good luck with restoring your lovely handbag.

Maybe you could post back with what you decide to do and let us know how it works out for you.

Holidays soon - hope they are ones to remember with love.

There is a product called EZ Kote. I bought it on Amazon. I fixed my handbag handles with it.

The vinyl, circular handles on my purse have cracked badly. As a temporary fix before I can find another purse, I taped over the handles, then covered them with braided-type strips. I was able to conceal the beginning strip, but not the end strip. Any ideas on how I can "cauterize" the end strip so it doesn't unravel? I'm stumped and would appreciate suggestions from ThriftyFun friends! Thanks a bunch!

By caseye from Plano, TX

Anonymous

Thread the end of the strip through a large-eyed needle then run it down under the area where you wound it around the handle, then cut the strip.

The braid I used is way too wide to put through a large-eyed needle. I taped the end of the braid so it wouldn't unravel, then took a large-eyed needle and threaded it with heavy-duty thread to try to sew the taped end of the braid to the piece next to it. I'm just hoping to get some ideas of how to seal the end of the braid permanently so it doesn't unravel.

Casey

Hum I'm wondering if you could somehow start over and cut the ends diagonally then touch them to an empty inverted heated tin can bottom over a low flame, experimenting with a piece first to see how much time/heat it takes to melt/cauterize the material?

Then, perhaps, you could glue the melted slant to the old material, tucking the very tips into the edge where the old straps began? Not seeing what you are working with is hard to envision, but still another idea might be to just begin again all over and go with a smaller braid and tuck the braid back under itself as you begin, gluing and clothespinning one end until dry before

trying to wrap the rest of the handle, then gluing the other end when you are through, letting it dry overnight under the clothespins?

I'm also wondering if your old strap might break into with a little weight, making all of your new work of no value? Have you considered sewing and gluing the cracked vinyl strap at each crack to reinforce it and letting it dry very well before you tape? If would give you double strength just in case the tape isn't going to be enough? God bless and help you. : )

I absolutely love this bag and I don't care how beat up it is except for the fact the strap is broken and I'm scared to try and sew it and make it even worse. I'm not too worried about fixing the side. Help!

Anonymous

I have a similar bag strap problem. Did you ever resolve it?

I got this bag at a church bazaar, the rivets are almost coming off. I would like to replace the handles which have buckles. I am checking Yelp for shoe repair stores, I think it might be hard to match the "brown" hue.

You might be surprized at just what a good shoe repair shop can do for your new bag! Well worth a try!

How do I fix the handle on my Gucci bag?

Your local shoe repair shop repairs many items other than shoes. Take your bag to a shop for an estimate to repair the handle.

The M fell off and lost from the front of my purse. So you know anywhere to get a replacement M?
Thanks.

A local shoe repair service may be able to replace the letter as they have access to many resources for repair. You can also contact the company directly for help.

I only like shoulder purses. I bought some purses that I liked, but they have handles plus they came with a shoulder strap. I want to take the handles off and cut the shoulder strap in half and put each half in place of the handles. I thought I could take them to a shoe repair, but I have found out they are almost extinct. Does someone know if there is a stapler that would go thru the double layer of leather or if you know what kind of gadget that was used in the picture? That would work if I knew what it was.

go to the miche site ..they sell the rings as well as the different straps ..

OR

check at goodwill for one of their bags and use the parts ..

I have a yellow plastic, maybe pleather, purse that got impressed on by an animal print purse when stored in the same bin. So now it has random darker yellow snake skin spots on my yellow purse. It almost looks like the plastic top got suctioned or stuck to the yellow layer under it.

By Gwen

Try either isopropyl alcohol or a little hand sanitizer. Test it in an inconspicuous area first!

I have a large carry bag and the handle appears to be a vinyl type and it was stitched onto the bag material, so I can't clip it off. The handle is disintegrating and I need help. Any ideas on covering or wrapping the handle with something?

By Linda E

Can you give us a pic with the broken handle?

I bought a camel colored leather bag and I noticed there is a small area where it looks like the leather did not absorb all the stain. It is lighter than the rest of the bag. Is there anything I can do?

By Jackie from Las Vegas, NV

Can you get any shoe polish to match the colour? One trick I have used on scuffed/damaged leather is to use acrylic paints. Find the colour that matches, or, if you have a good eye, mix it yourself. Then with a *tiny* amount on a cloth (wrapped around your finger), rub it into the area where the colour needs attention. You might need several goes. Acrylic is rubbery paint that when dry is waterproof.

I have a handbag made of cork and the cork is flaking off in various places. Is there any way this can be repaired?

I have a new bag and the fabric is coming off the handles. How do I repair it?

By JW

I have a Liz Claiborne purse and its tubular top handle is broken badly in the middle. It is so hollow without the stuffing and I do not know how to fix it. Please help.

By KK