Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Repairing a Sofa Bed Frame

The frame on a sofa bed can become damaged from use. This is a guide about repairing a sofa bed frame.

Sofa bed with a metal frame.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Sometimes the frame for your sofa bed becomes damaged beyond repair. Finding a new replacement frame can be a challenge. This is a guide about sofa bed frame replacement.

February 18, 2017 Flag

Recently, I had a rivet break on one of the joints that puts the top of the bed up into the couch. Any suggestions on how to replace/fix it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is an article about how to fix this and other problems with sleep sofas: http://cuddlyho  ow-to-repair-it/

You can affix pieces of plywood with nails to the broken part. This sort of thing happens all the time.

January 16, 2017 Flag

Our sofa-bed is stuck. We think the frame may be bent. We are not sure why it won't open out or close now.

Can you help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It would be really helpful if you provided info on the manufacturer. Without that, it is all just conjecture. THe main possibilities have already been discussed:

1. rust

2. obstructions

3. contact the manufacturer in case there's a locking mechanism that has been deployed. Per this site: "There is usually a clip somewhere where you can lock the mechanism. The removal company probably put it on when they moved, because sofa beds are complete pigs for springing out and bashing you in the legs when you tip them to move them." http://forums.m  ad.php?t=1559781

Most of these sofa beds have some sort of lock so that they do not come undone at inappropriate times. If you check the frame and can either figure out whether it's locked, or as i said, call the manufacturer, or look online, that should solve your problem

if you can turn it over....... look at the joints etc..... their may be a toy or animals toy caught in it? if so . pull out and then might want to grease the moving joints...

My cushions rise after closing. Is one of my bar frames bent? How do I solve this problem?

I don't understand the question?

I think she's saying that after the sofa bed is closed, the cushions on the sofa itself are raised and not lying down flat like they're supposed to be.

September 11, 2013 Flag

How can I get the metal foot bar under my sofa bed mattress repaired or replaced? It is broken in half.

By Donna P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You didn't specify which part is broken, but it happened to me and what I did was to unscrew the leg off the frame, got a piece of sturdy wood(about 2inches square) which measured exactly the height of the original leg and screwedit securely to a metal plate.then the plate was screwed on the underside of the sofabed where the original leg was. you cant move the sofabed around too much but at least it can be used.

It might be possible to weld it, if it can be easily removed and taken to a welder. My ex was a welder and could repair many things. However, some metals are too light to weld, in which case it may need to be replaced.

March 23, 2013 Flag

I would like to know who to contact about getting a new metal bed frame for my sofa bed.

By Carol from Carson City, NV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 18, 2011 Flag

I have a bent frame on my sleeper sofa. I need to have it repaired in home, who will fix it for me? It is a leather couch with the frame bent at the foot of bed.

By Lyn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Depending upon how & where the bend is, you can probably straighten it out yourself by very gently hammering the frame straight. Or perhaps you can find a general handyman to do it. If the frame is broken - then it becomes a whole other repair matter.

November 18, 2013 Flag

The TV headrest on my sofa bed either stays all the way up so you can comfortably watch TV or falls all the way down so it can fold up. I know there is probably something I need to do to get it to stay flat. I just can't figure out what it is. Thanks in advance for your help!

By Martha B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just pull the bar up as if to make it higher...it should then release to the down possition... similar to folding the old lawn chairs.

February 10, 2013 Flag

I have a queen size sofa bed that is in excellent condition, except for the webbing that supports the mattress. Is there a replacement for that?

By Eldoris from MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't have an answer but I have the same problem. The mattress isn't being properly supported because of the sagging webbing underneath. Repair would be great cause there is nothing else wrong with the sofa bed.

November 12, 2010 Flag

I have a very expensive Slumberland Volterra sofa bed that is under two years old and the support beam at the head end of the bed frame has bent. It is aluminum I believe. I have contacted the company I purchased the bed from have been told its out of warranty.

Slumberland has also been taken over by another company. That company no longer makes the Volterra sofa bed because the frame, which used to be purchased from Italy, are too expensive. Can you let me know where I could go to have the frame repaired. This was such an expensive item to be replaced. Many thanks.

By Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The only idea I can come up with which I would check out if it were me is to inquire over the phone to a body shop (car repair) and see if they could somehow get it back into shape. Also, try a welder shop as they might have a way/means to make it serviceable and either might do the work as a side job and if a computer is available, you could send them a picture of the bent frame before taking it to the shop. I don't think you can weld aluminum, but as I stated earlier, they might have some tool that could shape the frame back into place. You may need to ask a few of these businesses before getting someone who doesn't mind putting in some time to repair something not in their line of work.

Also, if you feel like you have a bit of know how with a hammer, you might place the bent frame on top of something very solid and pound the dent back down as much as you can. My husband has straightened out things that way and it was as good as new.

We have a machine shop that does small jobs. If you take the part to a shop, they could make a new part, possibly out of better material where it would not bend.

October 16, 2014 Flag

What do you call the mattress supports that hold the mattress on the sofa bed frame when it is pulled out? They keep the mattress in place on the frame, usually at the foot. Does any one know where they can be purchased? Thank you.

By Karen M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 9, 2007 Flag

Where can I find sofa bed frame for a pull out sofa bed?

Tisha from Los Angeles

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your best bet would be to go the futon sofa route - which is a sofa frame of wood/metal with a pad that folds out - that's the usual route nowadays. Otherwise look for a used sofa bed to redo- but they get cranky with old age - so, beware.

Wish you lived close to me. We're buying a new sofa and our old one is a sleeper sofa--was only used a couple of times and the pull out is like new. Maybe put it up on freecycle or craigs Llst in your area. There must be others like us...

July 12, 2014 Flag

My sofa bed frame scraped the floor when I open it. I moved recently and think something heavy was set on it during the move.

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need advice on repairing a sofa sleeper.

Melissa from Clarkson, KY

what part of it? the fabric? the frame??

The fabric

February 7, 2014 Flag

My Castro sofa bed, seems to be in excellent shape, but after folding it, and attempting to slide the mattress/frame into the base, it seems the right side is now longer then the left side, and it will not close. Please help. The manufacturer is no longer in business

By Nick

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 18, 2013 Flag

By Martha B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 20, 2010 Flag

I need help. We have a sleeper sofa that is in perfect condition. Unfortunately the sofa bed frame bar on the left side is slightly bent and is impossible to open and close with any ease. The store where we purchased it has closed. Anyone have any suggestions?

By Paul from Playa del Rey, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The first suggestion is to use the end of a 2" x 6" board and hit it with a hammer while it is centered on the middle of the bend, until it's straight. If that doesn't work, protect all the area around the bent area of the frame and use a portable torch to heat it and then use the same procedure stated above. Let me know how you make out. Milt

December 26, 2009 Flag

How can I reattach the sofa bed to the frame? It is a Sofa Express product and they went out of business. Please help.

By Elizabeth from Indianapolis, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Find out how it was originally attached.

If it is a matter of screws through a metal frame into a wooden "box spring" you can fortify the whole and screw it back in.

If it is metal on metal with broken rivets just rerivet or use nuts and bolts.

Your best bet is to figure out exactly how it had been attached. Take some digital pictures of it that you can print out or just show on the camera. Go to a Home Depot or a Lowes and talk to some of the people there. There is usually one or two handy/creative workers in each store that could give you some ideas but they really need to know what you are working with. Hence the pictures. Take many at different angles to answer all the questions they might have that you wouldn't remember the answer to.

Good luck.

July 19, 2013 Flag

We have recently bought a second hand Cambridge 3 seater Chesterfield sofa bed, only to discover the mechanism on one side is broken making it very difficult to open and close. It has damaged the actual sofa. It is soldered and I wondered if we can replace the whole thing?

By Jeannette P from West Sussex

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 20, 2010 Flag

I'm requesting any solutions or repair for a sofa bed frame which is bent and can be hardly pushed back inside the sofa. The bar in the middle is totally bent as well as the springs. Can this frame be replaced or how can it be repaired?

ladyj7153

Answers:

Sofa Bed Frame Repair

I know the frames can be replaced, but I am not certain who you will need to contact to do that. If your sofa is a name brand you should contact the manufacturer for a replacement on the bed frame. They will be able to tell you how to go about getting the replacement. (01/10/2005)

By jlxian

Sofa Bed Frame Repair

A rivet came out and the frame may be bent. We need what is probably a minor repair. We cannot close the bed if it is open, nor open it if it is closed. It is queen sized. Please advise. It may be a Castro type mechanism. The company went out of business.

Best,
Alfred Heller

Editor's Note: Look for a short bolt or screw and a nut to fit to replace the rivet. (03/11/2007)

By Alfred Heller

Mattress Replacement

Castro Convertibles has gone out of business. The model number I believe you are looking for is C23083, but it won't help because I have searched everywhere for the same I mattress. I am looking to replace mine as well and no one has been able to help me. (06/26/2007)

By Tanji

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Furniture BedsMay 29, 2013
Sofa bed with a metal frame.
Sofa Bed Frame Replacement
Sofa Bed
Sofa Bed is Stuck Open
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Sofa Bed
Finding Parts to Repair a Sofa Bed
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 29, 2017 at 10:18:42 AM on 10.0.2.84 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.