Browsing: Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets

Repeated use and laundering can breakdown the elastic in your fitted sheets. This is a guide about repairing the elastic on fitted sheets.

Elastic
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 2, 2009 Flag

Over the past 5 years I have enjoyed the "luxury" of Egyptian cotton bed sheets. I have always bought them on sale, but they are still not a cheap item. The fitted bottom sheet has ripped and is a bit on the thin side. (My husband's side of the bed of course.) The rest of the sheet (3 years old at least) is still in fantastic condition.

I don't want to throw it out and wonder if a patch would be uncomfortable. I would love to hear from any of you clever people out there with any suggestions.

By hyslop from New Zealand

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I think you can put a patch on it, but use soft material and place it on the underside of the sheet. The secure it by sewing over the hole and patch in multiple rows (over the rip) so that the rip is securely held. That's one idea.

Best Answer

Ok girl, just last month, I had the same problem. So I looked in my sewing box and found a big size iron on patch. Flipped that sheet over to the wrong side, ironed it on and it's now on my bed. No problem at all! Good luck with yours!

I suggest to put iron on patches on sheets, good luck.

I am cutting up the torn/worn out sheet and making pillow cases. Unfortunately, I have had no luck trying to repair or patch expensive luxury sheets once worn out.

May 15, 2015 Flag

The elastic in a Cal king bottom sheet is to short. It came undone. My question is what is the length of the elastic used, in inches, for a Cal king bottom sheet?

Best Answer

There isn't any standard. Better quality sheets might have elastic the whole length of the edge. Very cheap ones might have very little. If it came undone, can you measure the piece that came off? That might not even work, if the new elastic is not the same stretch, it might be better to stretch both elastics and then measure. Or stretch the new elastic and measure it along the edge of the sheet where the old piece came off.

December 11, 2014 Flag

When replacing the elastic in a fitted sheet, what size, type, and style elastic should I use?

By Claire T.

Best Answer

Is there any of the old elastic left on the sheet? If yes, use that as your guide. If not, generally even deep pocket elastic is usually no more than 3/4 wide.

Buy a packet of 'general' elastic - usually about three yards/metres length, and that's plenty to cut a 4-6" per corner strip for sewing back into the sheet.

Be sure to use the right sewing needle, elastic thread, and the stretch stitch on your machine. If you don't have a stretch stitch on your machine, use the zig-zag stitch that matches the width of your elastic piece, and pull the fabric slightly from before and after the needle to stretch the seam, fabric, and elastic strip whilst stitching.

October 22, 2010 Flag

How much elastic do you use for a queen size fitted sheet?

By me from Milford, PA

Best Answer

Hi.. I am a Textile Designer... I know buying fitted sheets is not easy as sometimes it is not available or you may not get the perfect fitted sheets size. So here's a solution for all who wanted to make a fitted sheet or who wants to repair the elastic.

Step 1 - Take your bed sheet and measure it from all corners in inches. Then measure the size of your mattresses because it may vary.

Step 2 - Then write the size of your mattress on a paper like

Length -76" (May vary)

Width -64" (May vary)

Depth -4" (May vary)

Step 3 - Then on the back side of your bed sheet mark with a pen and scale all the inches. Then make a line by joining all those marks and make a square box. Now cut the sides from corners.

Step 4 - Join the corners by stitching them. Now repeat with all 3 corners also. And you will see your bed sheet has become round from corners.

Step 5 - Now take bed sheet from one side and fold it from a corner side a little. Fold your bed sheets corners by leaving a little space to put the elastic inside that.

Step 6 - When you are done with folds. Where from you started and where you gonna end just stop a bit before, you join both ends.

Step 7 - We didn't join the both ends so that we can put the elastic inside that through this vent we have not stitched.

Step 8 - Now take a plastic stick attached with a thread already at its back. Knot the elastic with that thread at the plastic stick and put the elastic in that space we have made.

Step 9 - Take elastic by measuring the all 4 sides now. According to the above measurements you take 10 meters of elastic. After putting the elastic before cutting it and making a tight knot.

Step 10 - Put the fitted sheet by the help of someone over your bed. Make it fit properly. Now tell to hold the elastic from the side you started putting it inside. And start pulling the elastic from another side and at last when you feel that its enough then make a tight knot with both ends. Cut the extra elastic.

# Your fitted sheets is ready and you can also replace your elastic easily with this. And note never wash your fitted sheet in warm water otherwise after every wash you will need to change your elastic.

Thank you

You asked that a year ago! I have been looking for the same thing and had to figure it out on my own. A queen size mattress is 60 in. x 80 in. making it about 7-3/4 yards all around. But of course it would depend on how deep (thick) the mattress is too. So I am planning to use 7 yards of elastic, put the sheet on the bed and adjust from there. I guess that you could also measure another sheet that has the elastic going all around! :~)

I have done a ton of remedies for the weak elastic. Now I have drawstring sheets and they work great. No elastic to mess with. They go on really easy also since the loose drawstring is not going to fight you. Once they are tight that's it. No hiking up or popping off. They're also are much more comfortable than any sheets I have ever owned since they are flat and smooth all the time like when the bed is just made. It's great. They also self adjust to any mattress naturally since the drawstring can be tightened until the mattress is gripped.

I bought an 8 yard stretch of elastic. I have pinned at the moment 4 yards in a queen size fitted sheet for a pillow top mattress. I have it pinned for tonight and will see how it handles being slept on.

April 8, 2013 Flag

How much elastic do you need to replace the old on twin bed sheets?

By Debbie W

Best Answer

It always amazes people (like my husband and children, lol) when a fitted sheet with 'tired' elastic can be repaired! I save a lot of money on sheets because I can replace the elastic. So often the elastic is the first place to go on a bed sheet and it's a real savings to be able to replace the elastic.

Use a flexible tape measure and measure the length of the elastic in the sheet without stretching it. Use the flexible feature of the tape to follow the curve of the fitted corner. Add an inch to that measurement, and that should provide a measurement for the correct length of replacement elastic.

If you have a deep pocket sheet, you may want to add another half-inch to your measurement to get the proper fit when you put the repaired sheet on the mattress. You may have to experiment-keep your seam ripper handy:)

You can also unpick (using a seam ripper) the elastic from the sheet and measure it. Even if it has stretched a bit (it will look 'rippled' and several elastic threads may have popped out too), you will be able to get a good enough measurement from it to measure out a new length of elastic-if you do this you will NOT need to add an inch or inch and a half, and you still will not need to stretch the elastic to get a proper measurement.

Stretching to measure will result in too much elastic and then it won't 'pull-up' enough when sewn in to provide a proper fit when you go to put the repaired sheet on the bed.

If you have a stretch stitch feature on your machine, use it. Be sure not to stretch the elastic when sewing it in using the stretch stitch feature. The stretch stitch feature is designed to automatically do the stretching for you. It's always best to check your machine manual as using the stretch feature may include other special instructions like tension settings and the correct needle to use.

If you don't have the stretch stitch feature, use the zig-zag and DO stretch the elastic as you zig-zag over it. Remember to loosen the tension at least one notch, and be sure to use a new needle so that your tip is 'factory sharp', for the best results.

November 7, 2009 Flag

How to fix bed sheets? I need general instructions on how to fix elastic that is stretched out on the edges of a fitted bed sheet.

Lynn

Answers:

Fixing or Replacing the Elastic on Fitted Bed Sheets

My mom just did this to my sheets. She sewed an extra piece of material about 1 inch wide around the head and foot part of the sheet. We then ran a long piece of elastic through it, used safety pins to hold it in place until I found the right amount of tension to keep them on. Stitch to hold. (10/27/2004)

By mdjbe

I use the elastic sheet holders. You can buy them at Walmart and I usually pick mine up at any store or yard sale or thrift store that has them for less. You simply attach them to the top and side portion of the sheet across the corner and put the sheet on the bed. I find for my husband who slides into bed that these work to keep even the fitted sheets on the bed. (10/28/2004)

By Sandy

I fixed my son's sheets by taking a strip of elastic and stretching it out as I sewed it along the corners of the sheets. I also made custom crib sheets for my niece and granddaughter's cribs. (11/01/2004)

By Diana

I am reminded about an old trick my mother used to keep the sheets of bunk beds from coming off. I use it to keep my two year old from ripping her fitted sheet off her mattress every single night.
Use a real pair of suspenders and attach to the fitted sheet across the bottom of the mattress. Your fitted sheet corners will never come off again, no matter how old the sheet. (11/06/2004)

By Bettymaze

The fastest way is to take 1/4 inch elastic, and sew it right over the old elastic, stretching the elastic as you go. Sometimes you can get elastic at a great price, and if the sheets are excellent quality, you could go all around the edges so that it tucks in all around the sides as well as the top and bottom. I've saved quite a few lovely sets of sheets this way, from friends giving me their old ones when they redecorate.

Laura in NH (09/13/2005)

By DDSS2000

Fitted Top Sheet

My great aunt once bought sheet sets that had the top sheet sewn to the bottom fitted. As you can imagine, this was great. I have since searched for these types of sheets, but have never found them either. Is there anyone on the web site that can help either Peggy or me? Thanks. (10/25/2005)

By Little Buddy

RE: top sheets sewn to fitted bottom sheets - waterbed sheets. Sheet sets for waterbeds usually have the fitted bottom sheets connected to the top sheets. It has become more difficult to find waterbed sheets, even at Wally's World. (10/15/2007)

By guest

October 22, 2010 Flag

I need to replace elastic in some queen sized fitted sheets. Does anyone know how much elastic I will need per sheet? The sheets are perfectly good, but elastic has perished after being in storage for some time. Thank you.

By Nancy from Sydney, Australia

Answers:

Couldn't you use old bra straps that you might not have discarded. Cut the straps off of them and sew to corners of the bed sheets so it would hold on better on the bed. You can even sew them on with an adjustment still on them to level the size of the corners of the bed. (11/16/2009)

By Pam G.

Crafts SewingApril 9, 2013
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
A stack of folded sheets.
Folding Fitted Sheets
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
girl in a summer dress
Repairing Elastic Smocking on a Dress
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 12:19:33 AM on 10.0.0.168 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.