Repairing the Underside of Furniture

Category Repair
A living room full of nice fabric furniture.
Pets can ruin our furniture or as our things get older the batting and upholstery can start to come apart. This is a guide on repairing the underside of furniture.

My cats have torn the underside of my furniture to shreds. I'm glad it's the unseen, but I still need to repair it. My living room chairs, couch, and ever under my bed are damaged.

Where can I find the batting/filler material, as well as the black thin felt-like material to recover the bottom of my furniture? I'm online savvy, and can usually find what I'm looking for, but this has been a tough. You'd think living in the furniture capital of the US would be easy enough to find what I need! Any help is appreciated! Thanks lots!

Penni from Hillsborough, NC

Since it's unseen why not do it with old sheets? That will be harder to shred and you won't need to redo it every year or so. It might even be worthhile to invest in some new sheets for the job.

Hi! I "JUST" signed up on this website and this is my second post! First as a guest and now as a member. I owned an upholstery shop for 10 years, so I'll try and offer a little help here. Most of the time, the "inner stuffing" is cotton. It is sold in huge rolls at upholstery supply stores. I would suggest that you visit a local upholstery shop and ask to purchase a small amount and then you try to "stuff" it back to form -- this is trying to repair it from the underside and not remove any of the top upholstery. The black material under the bottom is sort of a dust cover. It is called "cambric". It too, can be purchased from a local upholsterer or upholstery supply company. A regular craft type staple gun can be used to staple it to the bottom. Hope this helps.

Everything can be found at any Fabric Store...OR, you can simply look up "upholstery" in your local phone book & you should find several stores that sell upholstery supplies... They are Pricey (compared to fabric stores) Or, if you have NO fabric stores or upholstery stores in your area, ask an upholstery person to sell you what you need... I recommend you replace the "black, felt-like material" with Black Landscape Fabric... It's the stuff you use in the flower beds to keep the weed problem down. Landscape fabric is both inexpensive AND strong... at under $5 or $10 for 50 feet. (depending on the thickness & quality) You can't beat it! I see no reason you've not been able to find batting... I just bought some to make a dog bed for my son at my local Joann's Fabric store, & even though this was one of their tiny stores, they had at least 15 different types, fiber contents & thickness' of battings available to choose from. I'd Buy synthetic, like Polyester or Acrylic, as it cost less PLUS it doesn't hold in moisture as much as cotton... UNLESS, you are stuffing the DEEP, inside portion of a couch or chair, but if it's the underside, I'd buy Synthetic Batting. As far as the black felt goes, You can find black felt either With, or without a wool content. I recommend a non-wool felt, as my cat just LOVES the smell wool yarn & he will roll around in it & go crazy (probably because wool smells like an animal)

---> Just get yourself a cheapie hot glue gun & lots of hot glue, plus maybe a staple gun, or a tiny hammer & some large-head tacks & a curved upholstery needle (at any fabric store) & some strong thread or dental floss... Then turn over your furniture & have at it!

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I now have some excellent resources and know what I need to start working on the repair. This is a great site and forum! I'm glad to be a part it! :)