Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Restoring Shine to Vinyl Flooring

Over time the shine on your vinyl flooring can get dull. This is a guide about restoring shine to vinyl flooring.

November 21, 2011 Flag

My kitchen floor is about 10 years old and it is that no wax flooring. It doesn't look really great anymore. I try everything to clean it to make it look shiny again, but nothing works and I do not want to use wax. Anyone have any ideas?

By Mamie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please let me see. Are they slippery? This is in the bathroom.

it didnt hurt yur floors

Do you just sprad the wd-40 on with a mop?

WD40 is a great lubricant but I would not advise using it willy nilly on floors, it contains distillate, a highly flamable liquid and not something that should be used in a not well ventilated confined space like a room, certainly not with children or pets around.

For years I think how to be shined tile vinyl floor of my apartment.I clean everyday it but no result Tell me, please, how to act?

Smearing oil on kitchen floors?? Yuk

I would love to see a picture of your floors. My brother used furniture polish on his floors and when his wife came home from work and stepped in the door her feet went right out from under her

April 19, 2016 Flag

What is the best product to shine a dull vinyl floor?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 2, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to make my vinyl tile flooring shine without being slippery? Someone suggested table salt and hot water. Has anyone tried it and does it work?

By Sheila from New York City, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

VINYL & LINOLEUM:

Most people use the terms "Vinyl" & "Linoleum" interchangeably, but there is a big difference between Linoleum & Vinyl flooring & they require different care... Vinyl is a synthetic substance similar to a "plastic" or PVC & requires petroleum to manufacture, while Linoleum is a natural product made from Sawdust & Linseed oil backed with canvas (Linseed comes from the same plant they use to make "Linen" fabric). Linoleum is a "green"product, but not near as durable as Vinyl flooring is.

The original flooring in old houses was Linoleum. It was first produced in the mid 1800's & used until the 1960's when Vinyl became available. But there is a turn-around in the flooring industry because Linoleum is made from sustainable resources, it's being used more & more these days by those who are trying to build a "green" home & in non-allergenic homes, hospitals and health care facilities.

Vinyl flooring is much stronger than the old Linoleum was, so back-in-the-day they used to use a paste wax then buff the linoleum floors (especially in schools & hospitals) so the floor would be less porous & more durable. Most Vinyl flooring has a build-in shine & using harsh cleaners or very hot water can ruin both Linoleum & Vinyl flooring. I would recommend just using an easy product like "Mop & Glow," it will leave a shine without being too slippery.

THE HISTORY OF LINOLEUM:

http://en.wikip  rg/wiki/Linoleum

I just noticed another post that said never use Mop & Glow because it leaves a thin shine, and gets a build up. When my vinyl floor was installed it did not shine. Does that mean it's not supposed to?

Thanks!

March 26, 2014 Flag

How can I remove dull spots on my new vinyl kitchen floor? I just got a new kitchen floor and after a day or so some glue seeped up along some of the edges of the tiles. I used a wet sponge to remove the excess glue, but now I have dull spots where I rubbed off the glue. Help! The floor is brand new and does not look good.

By Tom

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 16, 2009 Flag

I am looking for cleaning tips for restoring the shine to no-wax vinyl maple tiles.

Danny from Fredericksburg, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 2, 2010 Flag

How do I bring back the shine to a linoleum floor that has faded, because of dirt and grime? How about a vinyl floor? I have cleaned with with different cleaners to no avail.

By Mitch from Corona, CA

Answers:

Restoring Shine to Linoleum and Vinyl Flooring

If you can find a brand of floor product called, "Brite", it does a beautiful job of cleaning and shining linoleum floors. I have used it for years. All you do is sweep the floor really well and apply "Brite" with a sponge mop, rinsing often as it picks up the dirt. I do mine on my hands and knees with absolutely beautiful results. (11/16/2009)

By irisbird

Have you tried stripping it? Hands and knees with a scrub brush and ammonia, hot water, maybe a squirt of soap, and work on one area until it is totally clean. You may have to rinse. Then put a wax finish on and it should be good to go. (11/18/2009)

By mulberry204

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That is what I use and then I use a floor cleaner for shining. (11/18/2009)

By boxergirl76

There is a Mr. Clean sponge mop with Magic Eraser now. It's great. (02/11/2010)

By iBroke

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Floor cleaning tools like mop, rags, etc. displayed on vinyl tile floor
Cleaning Vinyl Floors
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsApril 19, 2013
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
Scuffed Vinyl Flooring
Removing Scuffs from Vinyl Floors
Close up image of dog's water dish on wood plank vinyl flooring
Cleaning White Water Stains on Vinyl Flooring
Bathroom with vinyl flooring.
Removing Stains on Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 15, 2017 at 7:13:11 PM on 10.0.0.60 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.