Restoring Shine to Vinyl Flooring

Over time the shine on your vinyl flooring can get dull. This is a guide about restoring shine to vinyl flooring.

November 21, 2011 Flag

My kitchen floor is about 10 years old and it is that no wax flooring. It doesn't look really great anymore. I try everything to clean it to make it look shiny again, but nothing works and I do not want to use wax. Anyone have any ideas?

By Mamie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use the over the counter 'mop and shine' type products, keeping a cheap sponge mop for that product only. It makes my floors look great when I use it. Mine are about 10 years old, and have been walked all over with shoes, sand, grit, dogs, etc.

It doesn't last long, but is much better than looking at dull floors, and a whole lot better than waxing.

Yes, use WD40 on it. It really works. I found this out a year ago and I investigated it it's true. Message me and I will send you a picture of my floors.

Please let me see. Are they slippery? This is in the bathroom.

April 2, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to make my vinyl tile flooring shine without being slippery? Someone suggested table salt and hot water. Has anyone tried it and does it work?

By Sheila from New York City, NY

Most people use the terms "Vinyl" & "Linoleum" interchangeably, but there is a big difference between Linoleum & Vinyl flooring & they require different care... Vinyl is a synthetic substance similar to a "plastic" or PVC & requires petroleum to manufacture, while Linoleum is a natural product made from Sawdust & Linseed oil backed with canvas (Linseed comes from the same plant they use to make "Linen" fabric). Linoleum is a "green"product, but not near as durable as Vinyl flooring is.

The original flooring in old houses was Linoleum. It was first produced in the mid 1800's & used until the 1960's when Vinyl became available. But there is a turn-around in the flooring industry because Linoleum is made from sustainable resources, it's being used more & more these days by those who are trying to build a "green" home & in non-allergenic homes, hospitals and health care facilities.

Vinyl flooring is much stronger than the old Linoleum was, so back-in-the-day they used to use a paste wax then buff the linoleum floors (especially in schools & hospitals) so the floor would be less porous & more durable. Most Vinyl flooring has a build-in shine & using harsh cleaners or very hot water can ruin both Linoleum & Vinyl flooring. I would recommend just using an easy product like "Mop & Glow," it will leave a shine without being too slippery.

I just noticed another post that said never use Mop & Glow because it leaves a thin shine, and gets a build up. When my vinyl floor was installed it did not shine. Does that mean it's not supposed to?

April 2, 2010 Flag

How do I bring back the shine to a linoleum floor that has faded, because of dirt and grime? How about a vinyl floor? I have cleaned with with different cleaners to no avail.

By Mitch from Corona, CA

Restoring Shine to Linoleum and Vinyl Flooring

If you can find a brand of floor product called, "Brite", it does a beautiful job of cleaning and shining linoleum floors. I have used it for years. All you do is sweep the floor really well and apply "Brite" with a sponge mop, rinsing often as it picks up the dirt. I do mine on my hands and knees with absolutely beautiful results. (11/16/2009)

By irisbird

Have you tried stripping it? Hands and knees with a scrub brush and ammonia, hot water, maybe a squirt of soap, and work on one area until it is totally clean. You may have to rinse. Then put a wax finish on and it should be good to go. (11/18/2009)

By mulberry204

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That is what I use and then I use a floor cleaner for shining. (11/18/2009)

By boxergirl76

There is a Mr. Clean sponge mop with Magic Eraser now. It's great. (02/11/2010)

By iBroke

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsApril 19, 2013
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Floor cleaning tools like mop, rags, etc. displayed on vinyl tile floor
Cleaning Vinyl Floors
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
Bathroom with vinyl flooring.
Removing Stains on Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring