Restoring Shine to Vinyl Flooring

What is the best way to make my vinyl tile flooring shine without being slippery? Someone suggested table salt and hot water. Has anyone tried it and does it work?

By Sheila from New York City, NY

VINYL & LINOLEUM:
Most people use the terms "Vinyl" & "Linoleum" interchangeably, but there is a big difference between Linoleum & Vinyl flooring & they require different care... Vinyl is a synthetic substance similar to a "plastic" or PVC & requires petroleum to manufacture, while Linoleum is a natural product made from Sawdust & Linseed oil backed with canvas (Linseed comes from the same plant they use to make "Linen" fabric). Linoleum is a "green"product, but not near as durable as Vinyl flooring is.

The original flooring in old houses was Linoleum. It was first produced in the mid 1800's & used until the 1960's when Vinyl became available. But there is a turn-around in the flooring industry because Linoleum is made from sustainable resources, it's being used more & more these days by those who are trying to build a "green" home & in non-allergenic homes, hospitals and health care facilities.

Vinyl flooring is much stronger than the old Linoleum was, so back-in-the-day they used to use a paste wax then buff the linoleum floors (especially in schools & hospitals) so the floor would be less porous & more durable. Most Vinyl flooring has a build-in shine & using harsh cleaners or very hot water can ruin both Linoleum & Vinyl flooring. I would recommend just using an easy product like "Mop & Glow," it will leave a shine without being too slippery.

THE HISTORY OF LINOLEUM:
http://en.wikip  rg/wiki/Linoleum

Anonymous

Mop and glow gave my vinyl floors a cloudy appearance and I had to wash many times to get rid of it...

I just noticed another post that said never use Mop & Glow because it leaves a thin shine, and gets a build up. When my vinyl floor was installed it did not shine. Does that mean it's not supposed to?

Thanks!

I use Armstrong multi surface cleaner on my vinyl planks. its for tile,vinyl and stone. I sometimes buff it after it dries with a soft towel to give it a little extra shine.

I tried the vinaigrette and water with a few drops of baby oil and it made smudges all over the place. Im sticking to Armstrong.

(Describe Your Image Here)