Riding Lawnmower Won't Stay Running

I have a John Deere STX38 that won't stay running. It sat all winter long and when I go to start it, it will sometimes turn over, and other times I will turn the key, and nothing happens. Also, when I did have it running, it wanted to die right away. The longest we had it running was 2 minutes tops. While that was happening, it would make this "POP" noise from the engine. So it goes "vroom, vroom, POP, vroom vroom, POP". I need help please!

Brittany from Iowa

Riding Lawnmower Won't Stay Running

If you left gas in your machine over the winter it could now look like jelly or varnish. So maybe the carb and gas line have to be cleaned. Also install a new spark plug or clean and regap the old one.
I always do maintenance on my machine so in the summer I just have to add fresh gas and it starts right up.
Also, if you have 10% ethanol in your gas and leave it over the winter the gas lines and carb will have to be cleaned. (05/08/2008)

By Harry

Riding Lawnmower Won't Stay Running

I kind of had to laugh when I read your post. This sounds SO much like my hubby's JD, only his is an older model. He finally determined that the gas in his machine was stale. So he got an additive to mix in with fresh gasoline, and it cleans the carburetor. Hope this helps! (05/09/2008)

By Squirrley

Riding Lawnmower Won't Stay Running
Lawnmower Blade Won't Turn
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Running Rough
Riding Lawnmower
Riding Lawnmower Will Not Shift Gears
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start