Riding Mower Won't Start Without Gas In Carb

I have a Murray riding mower and it has spark, gas in the lines, but only runs if you dump gas down the carb! Help?

CHUCK from Atlanta, GA

Murray Riding Mower Won't Start Without Gas In Carb

Chuck, I can't answer your question, but I can tell you I have had umpteen burn patients I've treated through the years who came to me courtesy of putting gasoline in a carb. Please be careful, or you might be umpteen and one! (11/19/2007)

By Tripleb

My husband said to tell you this, "The float may be stuck and gas is not getting into the carburetor. If it doesn't have a float in it, then try removing the carburetor and cleaning it." But as the Dr. said, "Please be careful!" (11/19/2007)

By Ariela

My hubby agrees it's either the float stuck or something stuck in the needle, so it's cleaning time. (11/20/2007)

By denise w

Murray Riding Mower Won't Start Without Gas in Carb

My Murray riding mower requires the speed selector to be placed in the START or CHOKE position to start. It won't start otherwise.

I'd spray some Carb-Cleaner into the carb while it is running until it stalls, let it set an hour and start it up again.
Try some carb cleaner additive to gasoline also, as it dissolves the gummy deposits in bad gasoline. Some gasoline is full of "garbage", like the cheap "no-name" gasoline especially.

Here is a very important note: Every winter you must put something called "STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer" into the gasoline. You leave it setting in any 4-cycle gasoline powered device.

This stuff is not very expensive and will keep the gasoline from gumming up the carburetor when it freezes during winter months. I swear by it! Had many carburetor problems in the spring before I discovered STA-BIL (sold in any "Hardware" type of store in a nice dispenser bottle). (12/26/2007)

By DoctorBill

Hi. Check to see if the carb has a shut-off relay screwed into the bottom of the bowl. If so, you should be able to hear it click when the key is turned to on position. If you do not here the click, check the voltage to relay, and also the ground wire to relay. If it's ok, I would pull carb bowl and blow out jets, and also where the relay screws into the bottom of the carb . Hope this helps. (06/07/2009)

By jdj599

Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start