Robin Red Breast

Vote for this contest contender!

Photo Description
Imagine a glass prism that breaks up light into all colors of the spectrum. Now imagine a glass prism that reflects light in only shades of blue.

Bluebirds feathers are practically colorless, like glass. They act as a prism, but returning only colors of a blue wavelength. When you see a bluebird, you do see blue, but it's not the feathers that are blue, just the refracted and reflected light bounced off the feathers.

Why would the bluebird evolve to have colorless feathers that reflect only beautiful shades of blue. We know so little.

Like my picture? I asked this little turdus if his breast was really red. He said, 'Look, I'm not going to undress just to satisfy your curiosity. You'll have to take my word for it, Bubba'.

neat! I just had Robins in my back yard (Florida) a few days ago - headed north - Spring is on the way.

Betty

Reply Like this photo? 3