Saving Money on Gas

Category Saving On Gas
Rising gas prices are becoming a bigger burden on household budgets. There are a lot strategies to save money on gasoline. This is a guide about saving money on gas.

As a mom, saving gas is very important. I have to drive kids to school, go to the office, drive to the grocery store, and pick up the kids again. I was like a wonder woman, driving fast just to keep on time.

Here is one tip I can share when using your car's air conditioner. I'll make sure if the weather is good and if it is windy, I don't use the air conditioner. I will just open the window. If it is a long drive or I'm going out of town, I also don't use my air conditioner. Because when you use air conditioning all the time, it uses gas faster!

To all drivers out there, especially moms, I hope this idea helps you a lot.

Anonymous

I almost always use my air-conditioner. It is the only place I have full control of air temp and I take full advantage of that!

With the price of gas soaring, here are a few simple tips for conserving fuel:

These are just a few things that everyone can try, and every little bit helps.

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Although I can't convince hubby to skip the drive through, I can at least get him to turn off the engine when we have more than a 60-second wait. It uses less fuel to restart than to idle the engine. It helps the environment just a tiny bit, too.

And here's another one related to Deeli's: when you notice a red light ahead, ease up on the gas or take your foot off the pedal altogether. Your forward momentum won't slow down for several yards unless you're on an uphill grade. That's a tiny bit more gas saved and a tiny bit less smog to breathe, too.

Institute a no-drive each week to save on gas and get exercise. We are fortunate to be in walking distance (1-1.5 miles) to just about everything we need. Of course, this won't work for everyone. But for some, you can plan to drive even fewer days a week. I pull my kids in the wagon to run errands. We go to the grocery store with our reusable bag(s), and only buy what we can fit in them. This prevents me from buying items not on my list or heavier, unnecessary items like pop and other sugary drinks. We get home, and we've all had fresh air, I've had a work-out pulling 80+ lbs in the wagon, my errands are done, and I haven't made excessive purchases.

By Britt from Boston, MA

That's a fantastic idea! I wish I could still do that where I live. I used to walk to the post office every day to check my mail (1.5 miles each way) but in the past year there have been 2 large dogs move in that the owners refuse to keep restrained. And the local police here haven't done anything at all to make the owners restrain their dogs, even tho there is a leash law here.

So I have come up with a way of getting my exercise. We just bought a power mower and I mow one section of our 1.5 acre lawn every day. I have totally quit using the riding mower. I get a fantastic workout this way.

Saving Money on Gas, picture of money coming out of a cars gas tank

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Here are some tips to help you save money on gasoline as well as a run down of tips that have been proven ineffective.

Health and Human Resourses will reimburse you for the cost of the gasoline you had to purchase in order to go to and from doctor or dental visits. They will furnish you a form that you fill out and the doctor or staff member signs it.

gas station sign

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

On our most recent road trip we were thankful to find that gas was much cheaper than at home. However, I still wanted to get the best deal I could find. In many towns, driving just a block or two into town saved as as much as $0.40/gal!

With gas being as high as it is it is very important to most of us to learn to handle as many chores as possible with fewer trips into town.

A good way to cut your fuel costs some is to pump your own gas at the "self-service" pumps instead of having an attendant do it for you!...

You get gas rewards, called Fuel Perks, for Shell when shopping at Winn Dixie. When you redeem them, you have to use the discount on all 20 gallons or lose discount on gallons not bought. My car fills on 16 gallons so I bring a gas can for the remaining 4 gallons.

Improving Gas Mileage When Driving, Pumping Gas

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

We own two Dodge Grand Caravans, and while they are not the most expensive vehicle to fill, they are far from the cheapest. Here are a few of the things we do to try to keep our gas costs down.

Don't trust the price on the sign at your local gas station. Always double-check that the price matches that on the pump you're about to use.

Weather permitting, turn off the air conditioning and travel with the windows opened. You'll burn less gas. Also, fuel economy is higher if you fill up before your gauge reads below 1/4. Under inflated tires waste gas also, so check your tire pressure regularly, before you set out. Once you've driven a very few miles, accuracy is compromised. Whenever possible, car pool. When you have several chores, try to align them in the shortest, most direct route. : ) By Doggy

Keeping the engine serviced on time will save you gas. Don't forget the transmission service every 20,000 miles, the rear axle every 20,000 miles, and rotate the tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles for long life.

My commute to work is approximately 19 miles. Where I live, gas prices are between $3.19 - $3.39 per gallon. I've found that driving between 5-10 miles under the speed limit has helped stretch my gas a little bit. Even more when I drive at 45 mph.

Gas prices are rising rapidly (as always), so here's a tip for getting better gas mileage: Obey speed limits! Studies show that, for every 5 miles per hour you drive over 60 mph, it's like paying an extra 20 cents per gallon of gas! And, by actually going the speed limit, you'll be avoiding a pricey speeding ticket.

Here are some great tips on saving money on gasoline. I received this morning and thought I would pass these tips along. Gas is over $3.00 a gallon here. Some of these tips are new to me.

bicycle commuter

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using a bicycle. Using a bike for a lot of your local travel is not only healthy it can save you money and help the environment.

More gas is wasted by people not completely fastening their vehicle's gas cap after putting gasoline in. Screw it in until you hear a clicking sound, otherwise it'll either spill out or evaporate. With the price of gas these days, make the most of each tankful!

The Wal-Mart near my house has a gas station on-site. I can buy a reloadable Wal-Mart shopping/gift card for any amount and use it to buy gas at that station. But here's the best part...

Gas Gauge

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about improving gas mileage. You may not be able to buy a new, more fuel efficient car, but there are things you can do to improver gas mileage.

To cut down on driving, keep a list of all the errands you need to run. Don't make a trip until you can combine at least a couple errands.

Eight years ago we retired to a tiny town with a small local grocery store. The prices were high and the produce was poor quality, so we developed the habit of checking the weekly ads and doing most of our shopping at the supermarket 20 miles away.

I live a distance from the town where I shop, have a part time job, work out, and do other errands. To save time and gas money, I accomplish everything with one trip. Sometimes this means I have to buy my groceries first to fit into my time allotment, so I always carry an ice chest or two in the back of my van or in the trunk of my car.

With gas prices decreasing, I have been putting the difference from what I was paying for gas (with the high prices) to what I am currently paying in savings. Wow, this is really starting to add up nicely!

Use the gasoline octane rating recommended in your owner's manual. Using too high of an octane can cause pinging in the engine, which can be annoying and can also be a sign of engine problems.