Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Saving Money on Gas

Rising gas prices are becoming a bigger burden on household budgets. There are a lot strategies to save money on gasoline. This is a guide about saving money on gas.

If you're tired of high gas prices and taking your car to the shop every time it breaks down Or you are tired of high insurance prices. Or if you are concerned about the Gulf Oil Spill and global warming. My solution is get a bicycle. Like anything else you purchase, do your research.

If you're looking for a standard they sell them at any big box store Wal-Mart, Miejer, Kmart, or Target every day. By standard I mean the road, mountain, and beach cruiser bikes you see on the streets.

If you are looking for comfort then recumbent bikes and trikes are the way to go. I own and ride an EZ 3 SX tricycle. Every time I let someone ride it around the parking lot or even just sit on it, they compliment me on how much more comfortable it is compared to a standard.

If you want to go camping with your bike, be it a standard or a recumbent, get a kid hauler. You can find them anywhere like the standard or the recumbent bikes. Put your camping gear in it and take off. You won't need the added worry of where to park your RV or travel trailer. You can just pull into a site and unload everything.

Ride safe! Wear a helmet, use turn signals, and a head light and tail light are almost a must for riding either on the road or the bike trail.

By bentcrazy39 from Springfield, OH

It's nice to see recumbents becoming so popular. I started with the EZ1 and now ride an EZ Sports AX. My only wish is that more cities and drivers would become bicycle friendly. Attached is my bike with my best buddy, Raleigh (named after a brand of bike). He's an adult now and loves running alongside (and I now have fenders).

Institute a no-drive each week to save on gas and get exercise. We are fortunate to be in walking distance (1-1.5 miles) to just about everything we need. Of course, this won't work for everyone. But for some, you can plan to drive even fewer days a week. I pull my kids in the wagon to run errands. We go to the grocery store with our reusable bag(s), and only buy what we can fit in them. This prevents me from buying items not on my list or heavier, unnecessary items like pop and other sugary drinks. We get home, and we've all had fresh air, I've had a work-out pulling 80+ lbs in the wagon, my errands are done, and I haven't made excessive purchases.

By Britt from Boston, MA

That's a fantastic idea! I wish I could still do that where I live. I used to walk to the post office every day to check my mail (1.5 miles each way) but in the past year there have been 2 large dogs move in that the owners refuse to keep restrained. And the local police here haven't done anything at all to make the owners restrain their dogs, even tho there is a leash law here.

So I have come up with a way of getting my exercise. We just bought a power mower and I mow one section of our 1.5 acre lawn every day. I have totally quit using the riding mower. I get a fantastic workout this way.

Saving Money on Gas, picture of money coming out of a cars gas tank

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Here are some tips to help you save money on gasoline as well as a run down of tips that have been proven ineffective.

Health and Human Resourses will reimburse you for the cost of the gasoline you had to purchase in order to go to and from doctor or dental visits. They will furnish you a form that you fill out and the doctor or staff member signs it.

gas station sign

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

On our most recent road trip we were thankful to find that gas was much cheaper than at home. However, I still wanted to get the best deal I could find. In many towns, driving just a block or two into town saved as as much as $0.40/gal!

With gas being as high as it is it is very important to most of us to learn to handle as many chores as possible with fewer trips into town.

You get gas rewards, called Fuel Perks, for Shell when shopping at Winn Dixie. When you redeem them, you have to use the discount on all 20 gallons or lose discount on gallons not bought. My car fills on 16 gallons so I bring a gas can for the remaining 4 gallons.

A good way to cut your fuel costs some is to pump your own gas at the "self-service" pumps instead of having an attendant do it for you!...

Fisher Swanson0 found this helpful

Saving Money on Gasoline

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

With gas prices always fluctuating, it's good to review what you can do to limit your fuel consumption. The biggest and most important step towards saving money on gas is always try to purchase vehicles that get good gas mileage.

Improving Gas Mileage When Driving, Pumping Gas

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

We own two Dodge Grand Caravans, and while they are not the most expensive vehicle to fill, they are far from the cheapest. Here are a few of the things we do to try to keep our gas costs down.

Don't trust the price on the sign at your local gas station. Always double-check that the price matches that on the pump you're about to use.

Weather permitting, turn off the air conditioning and travel with the windows opened. You'll burn less gas. Also, fuel economy is higher if you fill up before your gauge reads below 1/4. Under inflated tires waste gas also, so check your tire pressure regularly, before you set out. Once you've driven a very few miles, accuracy is compromised. Whenever possible, car pool. When you have several chores, try to align them in the shortest, most direct route. : ) By Doggy

Keeping the engine serviced on time will save you gas. Don't forget the transmission service every 20,000 miles, the rear axle every 20,000 miles, and rotate the tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles for long life.

My commute to work is approximately 19 miles. Where I live, gas prices are between $3.19 - $3.39 per gallon. I've found that driving between 5-10 miles under the speed limit has helped stretch my gas a little bit. Even more when I drive at 45 mph.

Gas prices are rising rapidly (as always), so here's a tip for getting better gas mileage: Obey speed limits! Studies show that, for every 5 miles per hour you drive over 60 mph, it's like paying an extra 20 cents per gallon of gas! And, by actually going the speed limit, you'll be avoiding a pricey speeding ticket.

Here are some great tips on saving money on gasoline. I received this morning and thought I would pass these tips along. Gas is over $3.00 a gallon here. Some of these tips are new to me.

More gas is wasted by people not completely fastening their vehicle's gas cap after putting gasoline in. Screw it in until you hear a clicking sound, otherwise it'll either spill out or evaporate. With the price of gas these days, make the most of each tankful!

The Wal-Mart near my house has a gas station on-site. I can buy a reloadable Wal-Mart shopping/gift card for any amount and use it to buy gas at that station. But here's the best part...

Fill your gas tank in the morning or when it is the coolest. The gas doesn't expand as much when it is cool so you get more gas per gallon. That's why they say don't 'top off' your tank especially on hot days or it will come out of the gas cap if you fill up and just park the car. By CSINBAD

To cut down on driving, keep a list of all the errands you need to run. Don't make a trip until you can combine at least a couple errands.

Fisher Swanson0 found this helpful

With gas prices on the rise, there is no better time to review what you can do to limit your fuel consumption.

Eight years ago we retired to a tiny town with a small local grocery store. The prices were high and the produce was poor quality, so we developed the habit of checking the weekly ads and doing most of our shopping at the supermarket 20 miles away.

I live a distance from the town where I shop, have a part time job, work out, and do other errands. To save time and gas money, I accomplish everything with one trip. Sometimes this means I have to buy my groceries first to fit into my time allotment, so I always carry an ice chest or two in the back of my van or in the trunk of my car.

With gas prices decreasing, I have been putting the difference from what I was paying for gas (with the high prices) to what I am currently paying in savings. Wow, this is really starting to add up nicely!

Fisher Swanson and Susan Sanders-Kinzel0 found this helpful

Gas prices are on the rise again! Here are some tips to help you conserve gas and save money as we approach summer gas prices.

High fuel prices have led many to search for ways to save on gas. In addition to the usual suggestions (tune your car, inflate your tires properly, drive the speed limit), here are a few you might not have thought of:

Use the gasoline octane rating recommended in your owner's manual. Using too high of an octane can cause pinging in the engine, which can be annoying and can also be a sign of engine problems.

Consumer Advice Cars Saving On GasJuly 11, 2011
Woman at Gas Station
Gas Station Tips and Tricks
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Buying Gas
Buying Gas Jokes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 8:26:29 PM on 10.0.2.72 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.