Selling Trees on Your Land for Lumber

If you own acres or even a larger residential lot you may have trees that you would like to have removed and be able to sell for the lumber. This is a guide about selling trees on your land for lumber.

A man cutting down a tree.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 15, 2014 Flag

The lumber is free just; I just want them cut down. They are on the property we just bought. How do I find someone to do this?

By Lenore S.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check for a Craigslist page for your area and place an ad for firewood or lumber. You can offer it for free if it is your desire to just get it done.

A lot of people need firewood or there may be someone in your area that can have the wood cut into usable planks. Good wishes to you. Rae

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2008 Flag

Question:

We have 5 big oak tree in our back yard and we want to get rid off them. Wondering if there are any company will buy them? I live in New Jersey. Can someone please give me some information? Thanks a lot!

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Sarah from Livingston, NJ

Answer:

Sarah, It sounds like you have found some great resources. The following information does not sound like it applies to your particular situation (although check out the link at the end). Nevertheless, it may be of value to others who are considering selling the trees in their backyards for profit.

Recently, a story appeared in the news in Rochester, MN, about a company going door-to door and offering residents money in exchange for their walnut trees. As many of you probably know, Walnut is a type of wood highly prized for its strength, versatility, and beautiful wood grain, and currently, the price of Walnut has gotten quite high.

The practice of selling off your backyard trees is legal and in most cases, the companies buying them are perfectly legitimate. The problem is that during tough economic times people sometimes become shortsighted and have a difficult time passing up a seemingly great deal.

In most cases, leaving the trees there is of much greater value to homeowners than the money offered by companies to remove them. Not only do the trees provide shade, fresh air, contribute to water quality, and provide shelter and food to neighborhood animals, but mature trees (the ones usually sought after by companies) can add up to 10% to a homeowner's property value. That equates to a dollar amount that is usually a far greater than they receive for selling them.

Make sure if you are thinking about selling one or more of trees on you're property (especially if it's an urban property) that you consider all aspects of the deal before committing to the transaction. Also be aware that legitimate companies do not usually go door-to-door making offers, and all should be happy to provide you with a copy of their license and insurance, as well as several references.

Here are some other ways to make money from the trees (and plants) on your land without necessarily selling them:

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/resources/pub-1993-USDA-FS-AgInfo-666.pdf

Ellen

Best Answer

If they are big old oak trees, I'd suggest calling a local furniture maker, cabinet maker, or lumber mill. Large old oak trees can be quarter-sawn to produce a grain called 'tiger oak', which is extremely rare and quite expensive. There are very few large old oak trees left which are large enough to be cut this way, in order to produce this wood grain. I would not under any circumstances pay someone to cut these trees. I'd sell them. The furniture that will be made from them will be sold for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars! Do a Google search for 'Tiger Oak Furniture' and see what the prices are for yourself. I only know this because I own several pieces of this type furniture (I inherited it, I could never afford it). I do know that when the big old oak tree in my front yard goes down, i'm having some furniture made out of it.

I hope that this helps you!

Read More Answers...

May 15, 2016 Flag

I have a big lot that has almost 40 big trees and I need to remove them and get paid. It's in Jacksonville Florida. I need your help with the name of a company or someone who can do that.
Thank you.

Many people want to have trees removed from their property. Often someone tells them that tree removal services will pay them to remove trees from their property. Unfortunately, they face many problems:

*Tree removal companies are not interested in paying the owner in small jobs, such as a few acres of trees, as their costs in insurance, machinery and workers are very high.

*Some companies may be interested in a larger project if the land owner pays the company, however, the land owner might then find that the company sells the trees to lumber companies. The tree company then has the tree removal payment and the lumber sale payment, as well.

*Insurance liabilities on both sides can be very high as tree removal is a dangerous job and companies must carry high insurance costs for injury to workers and property. The property owner may face injury and damage costs, and legal problems, as well. Tree removal companies are required to carry insurance and bond for their company and workers but this does not mean the property owner does not need coverage for the property and possible injuries etc.

*Depending on the area or state of the property, the owner may face permit requirements, historic, cultural and other limitations in removing trees from a property.

*Frequently property owners may find they need an attorney to address the issues and prepare a contract.

So, an answer to your question is not simple. You may find a tree removal service by putting an ad on Craigslist, etc., but you still face all the issues above with no guarantees.

You should discuss your plans with an attorney familiar with land use and then make an informed decision.

A caveat here-be careful not to provide the property address or even the general location of the trees to any company or person you might find from Craigslist, etc., before signing a contract. You may find that someone has removed the trees from your property without your knowledge.

April 15, 2016 Flag

I have roughly 50 pine trees I want taken down, mainly for safety at my house, in Stokes Valley Wellington, as I'm worried they will damage my house. Some are on my neighbor's land, but I'm sure they will be more than happy for me to get them taken away, I'd of course ask first. Would I get paid for the trees? Plus I've heard you can get native seedlings to replace the pines. Would you know what firm does this?

And if you're worried about your home, contact an arborist to trim tops and potentially damaging branches.

Read More Answers...

April 27, 2016 Flag

What is the going price for a grown sycamore tree that's about 30 ft. tall?

Can't help you on price as you did not provide your location, however, I can give you some answers re tree companies and your possibilities:

*Some companies may be interested in a larger project if the property owner pays the company, however, the land owner might then find that the company sells the trees to lumber companies. The tree company then has the tree removal payment and the lumber sale payment, as well.

April 20, 2016 Flag

We have about 5 to 6 acres of very tall and thick mostly pine trees. How much can I sell them for and who will buy them?

Information re tree removal:

April 14, 2015 Flag

I have 2 acres of pine trees that I need to clear off my land to move a house on. Is there a logging company that could help?

By Jennifer H.

Best Answer

April 6, 2015 Flag

I have a very large cedar tree that I do not want in my backyard. I was hoping to find a company that will cut this tree down and possibly pay me for the wood?

By Bob D from Maple Valley, WA

Best Answer

*Tree removal companies are not interested paying the owner in small jobs, such as a few acres of trees, as their costs in insurance, machinery and workers are very high.

*Some companies may be interested in a larger project if the property owner pays, however, the owner might find that the company then sells the trees to lumber companies. The service then has the tree removal payment and the lumber sale payment, as well.

*Insurance liabilities on both sides can be very high as tree removal is a dangerous job and companies must carry high insurance costs for injury to workers and property. The property owner may face injury and damage costs and legal problems, as well. Tree removal companies are required to carry insurance and bond for their company and workers but this does not mean the owner does not need coverage for the property and possible injuries etc.

So, an answer to your question is not simple. You may find a tree removal service by putting an ad on Craigslist but you still face all the issues above with no guarantees.

A caveat here-be careful not to provide the property address or even the general location of the trees to any company or person you might find from Craigslist, etc., before signing a contract. You may find that someone has removed the trees from your property without your knowledge

February 6, 2015 Flag

My mother died and left to my brother and I 86 acres of land near Albany, New York. We have put the sale of the acreage in the hands of a realtor. A man called my brother last week and wanted to know if he could cut down the ash trees on the property. My brother said yes and I am worried that this man is not reputable and will not pay my brother for the cutting down of the trees as he promised.

How do we handle this issue so we are assured we are not being swindled? My brother lives in New Jersey and I live in Maryland, we have no way of keeping tabs on the process of the cutting of the trees, we need some guidance on this. Thanks.

By ClaireD

All of the points made above are good. You may find that the whole lot is cleared, or the remaining trees are so damaged as to be worthless.

Contact a Forestry association or an Arborist association, and have a tree professional examine the trees, and property. You will be sent a report on the quality of the trees and what they might be worth, how many of the trees are marketable, and what other species are present.

If you are planning on selling the lot as a wooded lot, this step is crucial to ensure there is still value left; if it is to be developed, then the quality of trees needs to be determined to see if they add value to land, or add a cost.

The contractor needs to have insurance - for himself and workers, and a written contract is the best way to protect both of you. The Forestry/Arborist professional can prob help you with this (along with a lawyer), and they may know reputable professionals in the area to carry out the work. And the Forestry professional may be able to oversee the work.

Allowing "some guy" with no more info than that to carry out this very dangerous job is asking for a lot of trouble. Act fast. Unknowns often work fast, and come and go fast, and no way to find them. A site visit would be preferable, even if it is winter, or at least in the Spring.

Read More Answers...

January 25, 2016 Flag

I have a huge tree that needs to be cut down in my son's yard. I think it is oak. Is there anyone reading this that can advise me on this? Thank you!

August 15, 2015 Flag

I have 2.6 acres in Warrenton, North Carolina. They are covered in trees, mostly pine. I want to know if I can sell it as stumpage for a lump sum. I want to construct a house and need space. What is your advise?

tree along a dirt road

how much can I get for twelve acres of pine trees

Read More Answers...

April 23, 2014 Flag

I am a Roswell resident and have ten pines (in excess of 70 feet tall, and about a foot and a half in diameter), plus a bunch of scrub pines on my property that we want removed. I don't care to be paid for the lumber, I just want to know if there is someone who will come and cut them and take them. We recently had trees removed from our front yard - and they tree removal service had a lumber company come pick up our wood and sell it. Anyone have any thoughts?

By jennifer

Best Answer

Hi - Sorry but I do not know where Roswell is located but I have had experience with having trees removed in Florida.

Since you had trees removed before - have you ask the same company about these trees?

There should be a list of companies in your telephone book or Google the info with your location. maybe local companies will be listed.

Also look for names of any lumber companies or sawmills.

The problem with pines:

1. Usually is not a favorite for firewood so smaller companies do not cut them.

2. Pines may take heavier equipment and moving that kind of equipment is expensive.

3. Also, a log truck may have to be used and that is costly also.

4. Tree companies would have to weigh the cost of sending the equipment, truck and labor against how many "usable" trees are at that location AND how close they are to a house or buildings (insurance).

5. They would also need to know if their trucks could drive into your yard.

I had pines similar to what you mentioned but finally had to pay to have them removed. Maybe there are more tree companies near you.

Good luck.

July 14, 2015 Flag

Recently, my mother hired a tree company to take down 7 pine trees in her yard. The company has cut the trees down, but the logs are sitting on her property. She lives in an urban area. The deal was for the company to haul them away, but now they are ignoring her phone calls as she has already paid them.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Load More
              Home and Garden Gardening TreesMay 2, 2013
              Closeup of Gray Squirrel
              Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
              A large stick of fresh lumber.
              Building Wood and Lumber Oozing Sap
              Peach pits and fruit on white background.
              Growing Peach Trees from Pits
              Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
              Growing Mimosa Trees
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 5:05:00 PM on 10.0.1.37 in 383 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.