Selling Trees on Your Land for Lumber

Category Trees
If you own acres or even a larger residential lot you may have trees that you would like to have removed and be able to sell for the lumber. This is a guide about selling trees on your land for lumber.

Question:

We have 5 big oak tree in our back yard and we want to get rid off them. Wondering if there are any company will buy them? I live in New Jersey. Can someone please give me some information? Thanks a lot!

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Sarah from Livingston, NJ

Answer:

Sarah, It sounds like you have found some great resources. The following information does not sound like it applies to your particular situation (although check out the link at the end). Nevertheless, it may be of value to others who are considering selling the trees in their backyards for profit.

Recently, a story appeared in the news in Rochester, MN, about a company going door-to door and offering residents money in exchange for their walnut trees. As many of you probably know, Walnut is a type of wood highly prized for its strength, versatility, and beautiful wood grain, and currently, the price of Walnut has gotten quite high.

The practice of selling off your backyard trees is legal and in most cases, the companies buying them are perfectly legitimate. The problem is that during tough economic times people sometimes become shortsighted and have a difficult time passing up a seemingly great deal.

In most cases, leaving the trees there is of much greater value to homeowners than the money offered by companies to remove them. Not only do the trees provide shade, fresh air, contribute to water quality, and provide shelter and food to neighborhood animals, but mature trees (the ones usually sought after by companies) can add up to 10% to a homeowner's property value. That equates to a dollar amount that is usually a far greater than they receive for selling them.

Make sure if you are thinking about selling one or more of trees on you're property (especially if it's an urban property) that you consider all aspects of the deal before committing to the transaction. Also be aware that legitimate companies do not usually go door-to-door making offers, and all should be happy to provide you with a copy of their license and insurance, as well as several references.

Here are some other ways to make money from the trees (and plants) on your land without necessarily selling them:

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/resources/pub-1993-USDA-FS-AgInfo-666.pdf

Ellen

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

Hi, I posted an article on freecycle. Its a yahoo group you can sign up at no cost. Post the wood and say bring a truck and friends to help you and you can have all you want.

The lumber is free just; I just want them cut down. They are on the property we just bought. How do I find someone to do this?

By Lenore S.

Answer Was this helpful? 7
Best Answer

Unless you have a large number of trees on many acres of land, it is unlikely that anyone will want them for lumber. Lumbering is big business, and people involved in it don't come to cut down half a dozen trees. You MAY find someone who would cut them down for you for firewood. How many trees are you talking about?

I would like to have a tree cut down for free with the exchange for the wood.

Answer Was this helpful? 4
Best Answer

Many people want to have trees removed from their property. Often someone tells them that tree removal services will pay them to remove trees from their property. Unfortunately, they face many problems:

*Tree removal companies are not interested in paying the owner in small jobs, such as a few acres of trees, as their costs in insurance, machinery and workers are very high.

*Some companies may be interested in a larger project if the land owner pays the company, however, the land owner might then find that the company sells the trees to lumber companies. The tree company then has the tree removal payment and the lumber sale payment, as well.

*Insurance liabilities on both sides can be very high as tree removal is a dangerous job and companies must carry high insurance costs for injury to workers and property. The property owner may face injury and damage costs, and legal problems, as well. Tree removal companies are required to carry insurance and bond for their company and workers but this does not mean the property owner does not need coverage for the property and possible injuries etc.

*Depending on the area or state of the property, the owner may face permit requirements, historic, cultural and other limitations in removing trees from a property.

So, an answer to your question is not simple. You may find a tree removal service by putting an ad on Craigslist, etc., but you still face all the issues above with no guarantees.

*Frequently property owners may find they need an attorney to address the issues and prepare a contract. You should discuss your plans with an attorney familiar with land use and then make an informed decision.

A caveat here-be careful not to provide the property address or even the general location of the trees to any company or person you might find from Craigslist, etc., before signing a contract. You may find that someone has removed the trees from your property without your knowledge

We just bought 10 acres of land and need to know who can clear it off and keep all tress and wood they cut. Who can I call and about how much do they charge?

Removing trees is hard work, do most people charge for it. If you place an ad in Freecycle or Craigslist offering the wood in exchange for the service you may get some responses.

I live in Charleston, Tennessee and we bought property that has huge trees on it. Some have been aged at over 300 years and some are 11 ft around. Does anybody cut and buy these?

I would post them for sale in the farm and garden section of Craigslist

I stay in Knightdale North Carolina. I have about 30 pine trees in my yard all about 40 feet high. Who can I get to cut them down?

Here is the NC craigslist. Go to the top right corner of this page and press "post" -- post a listing looking for someone to cut them.

https://raleigh … ees&sort=rel

Currently, a company is harvesting lumber from 150 acres that abuts our property. We have 7 large pines and 2 cedars all with bases that measure more than 70 inches and are 3 to 4 stories high. We would like to sell to the lumber company since they already have all their equipment and trucks here. How do I determine a fair price and get to the right person?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Name of lumber companies baying on Gainesville Ga.

I have 3 acres with talk pines and other trees.

I'd like to sell it or give it away for the work of remove it..

Approximly 100 trees

I have about 30-40 large 50-80 foot pines I need cut down. Is there anyone that can suggest how I find someone to buy them and come cut them down? I live in Magnolia, Texas.

I would ask your local Craigslist in that category in particular:

https://houston … /grd?query=trees

I have 35 acres in northwest Arkansas (walnut, cedar, and oak). I want to sell trees either for timber or firewood. How would I go about finding a buyer?

I would put an ad in the paper or use Craigslist for free.

I need bids on trees on my land for sale. We are located in Duncanville, Texas. Thanks in advance.

A caveat here-be careful not to provide the property address or even the general location of the trees to any company or person you might find from Craigslist, etc., before signing a contract. You may find that someone has removed the trees from your property without your knowledge.

I live in Pulaski county Kentucky, close to Somerset. I have several big oak trees and some pine as well. It might be tricky cutting them down, but I've seen some done before. They are free for the safe cut and haul, with no clean up. I can cut the limbs or burn them. I'm a retired Army veteran. How do I find someone to cut them?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Many people want to have trees removed from their property. Often someone tells them that tree removal services will pay them to remove trees from their property-not true. Unfortunately, they face many problems:

Frequently property owners may find they need an attorney to address the issues and prepare a contract. You should discuss your plans with an attorney familiar with land use and then make an informed decision.

I have 26 tall pines on my lot out by Lake Conroe that I'd like to sell for lumber.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

THe easiest would be to put an ad on craigslist.org. Anywhere you live will have access to a craigslist.org. Also you can visit any other sort of classifieds - in my area, for instance, there's iwanna.com. Just go to your nearest grocery store and look in the newspapers/publication section to see if there is a small classifieds periodical that serves your area, and place an ad.

You could also call a local lumberyard and explain the situation to them.

I have 32 acres of poplar trees, about 25 to 29 years old. Can I sell poplar trees? I'm in Timmins Ontario Canada. If yes, who buys them and for how much? I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who knows anything about it. Thanks

Answer Was this helpful? 1

So can you please send me some information were I can get my trees cut and and sell the wood

My husband lost his job a few months back and had the idea to have our pine trees cut down in exchange for money. He met a gentleman cutting down trees in passing and had a verbal agreement that he would stop by and give us an estimate.

After the consolation, my husband agreed to use his business. After the job was completed, the gentleman told my husband that after selling the trees and charging for the service, he would give my husband $300 and would be back to clear some of the mess. Well, weeks went by and we never heard from the man. When we finally reached the business man, he said he was tied up and couldn't make it out, and wouldn't even return our calls prior to that. Now he says that work has slowed down for him and he is waiting until his land sells so that he can pay us the money.

There was no written contract and we can empathize with the man since my husband had loss his job too, but what can we do? I don't understand why he didn't pay us the money as soon as the lumber company had paid him.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

A verbal agreement is legally binding, however, enforcing the agreement, that is, receiving payment for your trees, is often difficult or impossible. This is why a written agreement is much better than an oral agreement as the written contract is legally binding evidence of the agreement. However, again, "getting paid" for your trees is entirely up to you. You can file a small claims court action, however, even if the judge finds in your favor, that you are due money, it is up to you to somehow get paid for the trees.

An important fact of your situation is that having someone cut your trees, especially of a few trees, and paying you for the lumber is rare. Most tree cutting companies are not interested in small jobs such as a few acres as their costs and insurance are high. It is clear that the tree cutter had no intention of paying you for the lumber and he will continue to make excuses until you finally give up asking. He has certainly been been down this road before!!!

I have a big lot that has almost 40 big trees and I need to remove them and get paid. It's in Jacksonville Florida. I need your help with the name of a company or someone who can do that.
Thank you.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Could I sale trees off a 1 ac

What is the going price for a grown sycamore tree that's about 30 ft. tall?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a cousin with 10 acres of land that has cedar and they want it cleared and sell the wood. She doesn't know where to start can anyone help me. Thanking you inadvance for any help you can give me.

I am a Roswell resident and have ten pines (in excess of 70 feet tall, and about a foot and a half in diameter), plus a bunch of scrub pines on my property that we want removed. I don't care to be paid for the lumber, I just want to know if there is someone who will come and cut them and take them. We recently had trees removed from our front yard - and they tree removal service had a lumber company come pick up our wood and sell it. Anyone have any thoughts?

By jennifer

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Hi - Sorry but I do not know where Roswell is located but I have had experience with having trees removed in Florida.

Since you had trees removed before - have you ask the same company about these trees?

There should be a list of companies in your telephone book or Google the info with your location. maybe local companies will be listed.

Also look for names of any lumber companies or sawmills.

The problem with pines:

1. Usually is not a favorite for firewood so smaller companies do not cut them.

2. Pines may take heavier equipment and moving that kind of equipment is expensive.

3. Also, a log truck may have to be used and that is costly also.

4. Tree companies would have to weigh the cost of sending the equipment, truck and labor against how many "usable" trees are at that location AND how close they are to a house or buildings (insurance).

5. They would also need to know if their trucks could drive into your yard.

I had pines similar to what you mentioned but finally had to pay to have them removed. Maybe there are more tree companies near you.

Good luck.

I have roughly 50 pine trees I want taken down, mainly for safety at my house, in Stokes Valley Wellington, as I'm worried they will damage my house. Some are on my neighbor's land, but I'm sure they will be more than happy for me to get them taken away, I'd of course ask first. Would I get paid for the trees? Plus I've heard you can get native seedlings to replace the pines. Would you know what firm does this?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

And if you're worried about your home, contact an arborist to trim tops and potentially damaging branches.

Load More