Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Selling Trees on Your Land for Lumber

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A man cutting down a tree.

If you own acres or even a larger residential lot you may have trees that you would like to have removed and be able to sell for the lumber. This is a guide about selling trees on your land for lumber.

Here are questions related to Selling Trees on Your Land for Lumber.

Question: Selling Trees

Trees behind a fence.I have a little over an acre of trees. I want to sell some pines and some hardwood.

By Mark from Monroe, GA

Most Recent Answer

By Carol Swanson [17]04/14/2014

I suggest contacting the Georgia State Grange. They might be able to suggest an ethical person who will help you timber your woodlot. You will find there are many people willing to cut your trees for timber, but they don't know what they are doing or they only want to cheat you from your money.

If the photo on this site is your property, it doesn't look to me like the trees are very old.

Question: Finding a Buyer for Standing Trees

I have 12 acres in Timmonsville county with trees on it. Can you help me?

By Deaven

Question: Selling Standing Timber

I have a 3/4 acre lot of Austrian pine. All trees are straight and tall, about 40 years old. I have talked to several lumber buyers and they all want at least 10 acres. I would like to sell them.

By Bill W.

Question: Getting Started Selling Trees

I have about 90 acres in Texas and have a lot of timber. If I wanted to sell some, how do I get started?

By Bryson W. from Houston, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Linda [36]03/04/2014

Be very careful and be sure you contact a reputable 'lumberjack'. My counsin contacted a business, they came out and didn't meet the needs of my cousin. Later that month when she returned to her land it had been cleared! Gate bolts cut and trees gone!

Question: Finding Someone to Cut Trees for the Lumber

The lumber is free just; I just want them cut down. They are on the property we just bought. How do I find someone to do this?

By Lenore S.

Best Answers

By Rae B. [2]02/19/2014

Check for a Craigslist page for your area and place an ad for firewood or lumber. You can offer it for free if it is your desire to just get it done.
A lot of people need firewood or there may be someone in your area that can have the wood cut into usable planks. Good wishes to you. Rae

Best Answers

By Louise B. [4]02/16/2014

Unless you have a large number of trees on many acres of land, it is unlikely that anyone will want them for lumber. Lumbering is big business, and people involved in it don't come to cut down half a dozen trees. You MAY find someone who would cut them down for you for firewood. How many trees are you talking about?

Question: Selling Choice Hardwood Maple Trees

What is the price for 20 inch diameter choice hardwood maple trees to be harvested in Otsego county Michigan by Silver Leaf Logging Co.?

By Dale D

Question: Selling Trees for the Lumber

My husband recently purchased property on Lynches River in South Carolina. There are some older and rather large pine trees that we would like to have cut. Can you help us? How do I find someone to take them down?

By ALS

Question: Selling Hickory Trees

We have 3 hickory nut trees. Is there value in their wood? Enough that someone would pay us to take them down?

By Ann from Brooklyn, MI

Question: What is a Fair Price for My Trees

I have two truck loads of pines in my back yard. What is a fair price for selling them? I also have a truck load of hard wood.

By Clai

Question: Selling a Black Walnut

I have a 30 foot x 48 inch girth black walnut tree for sale in south Jersey. How do I find a buyer?

By Bruce

Question: Selling Pine Trees from My Yard

Is there any company in Florida that will be interested in buying some pine trees from my property? I live in Gainesville.

By Edith L

Question: Giving Away Trees

I have 150 pine trees that I'll give away for free. They are 10-16 feet in diameter and 60 feet plus tall. I live in Ocala, Florida. Any suggestions on how to give pine trees away free?

By Don

Most Recent Answer

By Lady S.10/18/2013

How old is this post? Do you still have those trees to give away?

Editor's Note: This request was posted on September 17, 2013 so about a month ago.

Question: Removing Oak Trees from Yard

I have oak trees in my yard that I would like to get rid of. What should I do?

By Ana

Question: How Can I Sell My Redwood Tree?

I have a huge Sequoia Redwood tree and would like to sell it.

By Sandra V

Most Recent Answer

By abeaut03/19/2014

Hi Sequoia, Please find out if your tree is an endangered species that no one would be allowed to kill OR market before you take any action. You may risk fines or even jail time. Also, consider that the tree has been living there happily for many hundreds of years and cannot be regrown in our current environment. Just sell the property to someone who will appreciate the tree or give to Nature Conservancy!

Question: Selling Black Walnut Trees for Lumber

I live in Ohio and have 3 black walnut trees that I want someone to pay me for. I want someone to come and cut them down and haul them away and pay me. Any suggestions?

By Lisa

Question: Selling a Tree for the Lumber

Ash tree.I have a large ash tree in my garden that is 15 to 20 years old. It will be felled by the council as they are compulsorily purchasing some of my land to make way for a tram. How would I go about getting a quote for the wood value and have the tree felled before they take the land?

By Jane from Nottingham UK

Question: Cutting Trees to Sell Lumber

How long do I need to cut trees for a lumber yard to sell?

By Ron

Question: Clearing and Selling Trees

I want to clear 4 acres of forest for residential use. I am hoping to use the money from the trees to help cut the cost of septic, well, electric, and building. I am trying to get a broad range guestimate as to, how much money might come from 4 acres of dense woods?

By Tiya

Question: Selling Black Walnut Trees

I was just wondering how much I could get for two large black walnut trees. They are hanging over my roof and they need to go.

By Cameron

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie08/20/2013

Hi - you should call several tree removal companies in your area (?) and see if they are even interested in buying. You may have to pay someone to remove them.

Question: Selling Backyard Trees

I have 24 pine trees and 1 ugly tree, I would like removed. Can you recommend a company willing to come out with such a small load?

By Debra H.

Question: Selling a Fallen Oak Tree

My 100 yr old oak tree fell this afternoon and I am wondering if its even worth anything. It has a pretty large trunk.

By Mata from Coppell, TX

Question: Selling Rough Cut Cherry Lumber

I have 300 board feet of rough cut cherry lumber I want to sell. Where do I sell it?

By Ronald from Kirkersville, OH

Question: Selling Trees for Lumber

I have 2 30ft oak trees on my front lawn and will be charged $3200 to have them cut down and hauled away. I know that the company that does it will sell the lumber to someone after the whole process is done. Is there anyway that I can profit from getting them taken down?

By Johnny make money from Tampa, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Ken 07/22/2013

Get another quote or two from lawn care/tree trimmers. The amount you have been quoted is outrageous for cutting down two 30' trees.

Question: Mature Pines In Southern Michigan

I have about 50-60 mature pines that I need to remove. They are all over 50 ft tall. Can you recommend anyone that would want to buy these?

By Amy from Reading, MI

Question: Looking to Sell 30+ Acres of Trees

I am trying to locate a lumber mill or pallet company here in the midwest that would be interested in over 30+ acres of trees. There are a lot of oak, maple, cottonwood, sycamore, and some other trees; we have no idea.
I can provide pictures if needed. Or can you refer to a company that buys these trees. There are some very large cottonwoods as well.

By Kevin from Council Bluffs, IA

Most Recent Answer

By leo holmes11/03/2013

Is timber still available? Could you send pictures?

Question: Selling Trees

I am trying to clear off some land at my home can you help me locate a company that buys trees in South Carolina?

By Nicole. C

Question: Selling Wood

I have 2 acres of land that I'm trying to clear, but I don't have the money to pay for someone to cut the trees. How do I find someone interested in cutting 70-90 ft pine trees for the lumber? Let me know.

By Amanda

Most Recent Answer

By chelle in n.c.08/01/2013

Try your local classifieds sometimes they will post (cut trees for lumber), or check with lumber yards they may or know of someone who does,you could also put out your own classified. Hope this helps

Question: Removing and Selling 40 Year Old Mahogany Trees

We have 5 huge mahogany trees on our suburban property. Is there anyone in south Florida who can handle this removal and possibly purchase the lumber?

By Susan W.

Question: Value of Black Walnut Trees

I have two that came down in my yard. Is there any value to them?

By Bruce G.

Question: Selling Trees

I live in northern Lake County Illinois and have several mature oak and hickory trees I would like removed and possibly receive payment. Who would I contact for an estimate?

By Susan J

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.06/14/2013

In my area, one has to pay to have trees removed. It is not profitable to remove individual trees for the wood. However, it may not be the case in your area for those types of hardwood trees. Look online for "tree removal services" in your area. You could also consult the yellow pages of your phone directory.

Question: Selling Tree Timber

I live in Bethesda, Maryland and have a large fat tree in my yard that needs to go. Who can I sell the timber to and how?

By Christine N.

Most Recent Answer

By BracyP09/16/2013

Christine N.,
As many people have stated already you may need to Pay someone else to cut down your trees. This is not always the case however. Call up the lumber mills and logging companies in your area. They may be able to tell you whether they will do this or not.

In most cases they will not if you are a residential property; especially in a densely populated area. The reasons are that most contractors that would sell the lumber to a mill would have to pay too much to get their equipment to your site. If there are a large number of trees (100's) then it might be worth it, but only if they have a very good liability insurance company. The insurance requirements are completely different if they are harvesting from residential areas and are usually too expense to hold that kind of policy since it is very rare and not much, if any, profit in it.

But do not get discouraged as you can only know if you call. Also don't just call one lumber mill or logging company. If you are willing to take the risk, then there are less reputable companies that need any amount of money from a job. The risk is that something goes wrong and the company didn't have any insurance for the job. I don't recommend this though. The best you may be able to hope for is that they do it for free. Otherwise you have to pay someone else.

A couple of final thoughts: Just because a lumber mill says that they don't do that doesn't mean that they might not do it in a few months. The lumber industry is very volatile and sometimes they are desperate for wood and others not so much.
Also a lumber mill or logging company might not be the best choice if you have a highly valued hard wood tree. Contact some local furniture companies that make specialized wood creations. They may arrange to have the wood removed for you and even pay you.

Good luck!

Question: Selling Trees and Lawn Grass

How do I find out how much I can get for about 4 big trees and all the grass front and back yard?

By C Metcalf from Los Angeles

Question: Selling Trees

I have lots of trees in my yard and I would like to sell them. How much do they usually sell for? How do I price them?

By Penny R from Kalamazoo, MI

Most Recent Answer

By Sandy06/04/2013

In my neck of the woods we pay the tree removal company to remove the trees. I've never heard of the other way around, with the exception of Christmas tree farms. What kinds of trees can you sell?

Question: Selling Walnut Trees to a Mill

I have 2 black walnut trees that I'm interested in selling to a wood mill. How do I do that?

By Penny from Rockies, IL

Question: Having Trees Removed and Selling the Lumber

I have 4 very large pine trees in my yard and would like them removed before they do damage to our house. One has already split in half and almost hit our house. My question is who do I hire to do this and how do I sell the lumber? I would like to make some money off the lumber. Will tree removal services make a deal with me or do I have to hire them to cut it down and then sell to someone else.

By jaynab

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.05/02/2013

I don't have any advice for you, but I do think you shouldn't get your hopes up about making any money from those trees. I think you will have to pay to have them taken down and have the wood hauled away, if you can't use it yourself for firewood. Please let us know if you do find some way of making money.

Question: Selling Trees in Georgia

I have 75 acres of scattered hardwood and small pine trees that will be lost if not removed before mining starts. I would like to sell the trees if at all possible. I am located in east Georgia. Who can do the cutting for me? Thanks.

By Nancy Morris

Most Recent Answer

By Pixiedust707/29/2012

All I can do is wonder why you would allow 75 acres of mature trees to be cut down for mining? Do really want mining in your own back yard? Do you know that trees refresh the air and keep the temperature down? Trees are the lungs of the earth. Mining destroys, pollutes and contributes to global warming. How can you even consider allowing mining on your property?

Question: Selling My Trees

I live in Arkansas and have about 200-300 trees on 3 acres. Is there a logging company in Arkansas that will buy them?

By Robert

Most Recent Answer

By Sheilah Link07/19/2012

Does Arkansas have a state conservation department like Indiana? If so, they can help you. I would suggest you prepare a written contract/agreement that all the mess--tops, holes, stumps, branches, etc.--be cleaned up and that you sell them by sealed bid. Loggers can leave a terrible mess--some will come in, cut just what they want and leave the rest, including the tree tops.

Some will come in with dozers, knock down the ones they don't want to get to the oak, walnut, and other valuable trees and leave a mess of downed trees, deep dozer tracks, etc. Frankly, tree buyers in general have a terrible reputation; there are some honest ones, but seller beware! Ask for references and check them, twice.

Question: Finding Someone to Remove Trees in Exchange for the Wood

I have 2 maple trees that I would like to be removed (for free, in exchange for the wood/big trunk). I live in Massachusetts, north shore area. Does anyone know how I can go about this process?

By Susan D.

Most Recent Answer

By Suntydt05/09/2012

You can post on Craigslist for your area in the FREE section. If you aren't familiar with Craigslist it is Craigslist.com and you narrow down to the closest area nearest you on the right. I would be careful though, if the trees can fall on anything that could be a potential accident waiting to happen. You won't want just anyone dropping your trees.

You can also look on Craigslist for someone wanting wood in exchange for cutting it down.

You can try contacting a lumber mill, they may be interested in the wood and would know how to drop the trees without causing damage.

You can also call a lawn service and see if they know anyone they would recommend. Many landscape businesses recommend different businesses for services they don't offer.

Question: Selling Walnut Trees

Can I sell my walnut trees in Knoxville, Tennessee? Does anyone know of a company that might buy them or other method for selling these trees?

By Wess J.

Most Recent Answer

By Roo08/06/2011

It depends on where they are growing. If they are growing in your yard, lumbermills will not take the chance that there may have been a nail pounded into the trees over the many years it took to grow. Even one partial nail will kill a veneering blade, which is much more expensive to replace than the tree it was cutting. If the trees are in an orchard or forest, then research lumbermills, gunstock producers and firms that produce veneering products. Beyond those, fine furniture making shops where only one or two carpenters work might look for walnut stock, but these are harder to find and might not even be on the internet. One other idea would be to look for an Amish community nearby and see if they have a carpenter who could use whole trees. My family's farm has a grove of black walnut trees and we were not able to find a buyer for the wood because the grove stands on either side of our lane, with grass growing beneath the trees. From the lumberman's point of view, that constitutes a yard.

Question: Clearing Land and Selling the Trees

I have approx. 9 acres of property in Alabama that I want to clear and sell the trees. How do I get started and who do I contact?

By mind of milli from Atlanta, GA

Best Answer

By Frances Adams09/19/2009

See if there is any logging/forestry companies local to you. Try checking in the yellow pages. They can usually give you the names of some that may be interested.

Question: Selling Mature Pine Trees

I would like to sell my 20-30 full mature pine trees. Does anyone know of any company that would buy them?

Diana from Ocala, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Linda Crawford01/06/2009

Call your local county extension agent. They`'ll be able to tell you how best to procede.

Question: Selling Trees I Want to Remove from My Yard

Question:

We have 5 big oak tree in our back yard and we want to get rid off them. Wondering if there are any company will buy them? I live in New Jersey. Can someone please give me some information? Thanks a lot!

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Sarah from Livingston, NJ

Answer:

Sarah, It sounds like you have found some great resources. The following information does not sound like it applies to your particular situation (although check out the link at the end). Nevertheless, it may be of value to others who are considering selling the trees in their backyards for profit.

Recently, a story appeared in the news in Rochester, MN, about a company going door-to door and offering residents money in exchange for their walnut trees. As many of you probably know, Walnut is a type of wood highly prized for its strength, versatility, and beautiful wood grain, and currently, the price of Walnut has gotten quite high.

The practice of selling off your backyard trees is legal and in most cases, the companies buying them are perfectly legitimate. The problem is that during tough economic times people sometimes become shortsighted and have a difficult time passing up a seemingly great deal.

In most cases, leaving the trees there is of much greater value to homeowners than the money offered by companies to remove them. Not only do the trees provide shade, fresh air, contribute to water quality, and provide shelter and food to neighborhood animals, but mature trees (the ones usually sought after by companies) can add up to 10% to a homeowner's property value. That equates to a dollar amount that is usually a far greater than they receive for selling them.

Make sure if you are thinking about selling one or more of trees on you're property (especially if it's an urban property) that you consider all aspects of the deal before committing to the transaction. Also be aware that legitimate companies do not usually go door-to-door making offers, and all should be happy to provide you with a copy of their license and insurance, as well as several references.

Here are some other ways to make money from the trees (and plants) on your land without necessarily selling them:

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/resources/pub-1993-USDA-FS-AgInfo-666.pdf

Ellen

Best Answers

By Cheryl Waldrop03/16/2008

If they are big old oak trees, I'd suggest calling a local furniture maker, cabinet maker, or lumber mill. Large old oak trees can be quarter-sawn to produce a grain called 'tiger oak', which is extremely rare and quite expensive. There are very few large old oak trees left which are large enough to be cut this way, in order to produce this wood grain. I would not under any circumstances pay someone to cut these trees. I'd sell them. The furniture that will be made from them will be sold for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars! Do a Google search for 'Tiger Oak Furniture' and see what the prices are for yourself. I only know this because I own several pieces of this type furniture (I inherited it, I could never afford it). I do know that when the big old oak tree in my front yard goes down, i'm having some furniture made out of it.
I hope that this helps you!

Best Answers

By debbie (Guest Post)01/24/2008

Hi, I posted an article on freecycle. Its a yahoo group you can sign up at no cost. Post the wood and say bring a truck and friends to help you and you can have all you want.

Best Answers

By Marjorie C. Woodworth01/22/2008

Call a few lumber yards in your area, and find out if there is a company who will remove your trees and pay you for the wood.

Solutions: Selling Trees on Your Land for Lumber

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!