Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer

It is truly frustrating to have the spin cycle on your washer quit working, leaving you with a sopping load of laundry. This is a guide about spin cycle not working on washer.

An empty front loading washing machine with the door open.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Determing the reason for a washer to stop working properly during the spin cycle may be beyond the skills of the typical consumer, at least without some research. This is a guide about washer only spins when empty.

My washer will not go into the spin cycle after draining. It will just agitate and the timer doesn't desend.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Have you tried it in every wash mode possible? You could start troubleshooting from there. Maybe there is something wrong with the door sensor.

I have 2011 Maytag washer model MVWX700XL1, serial number C14430412. It will not spin during the last cycle, however if I change the setting to drain and spin it will spin like crazy like it is going to take off. The machine is not unbalanced! Thanks.

This happened to me. The timer was off and had to be replaced.

I have a Kenmore, model 10502 990 top loader, type 110. The year it was installed was 2001. It works well, but the washer's spin cycle does not get out sufficient water from the clothing. What is your best guess with what is wrong and should I just call repair rather than try to fix it on my own?

What would make a was being machine stop working on the spin cycle it will spin if you do it manually

I have a Whirlpool washer model #wtw5500xw2 that won't spin all the water out of the clothes. Can someone tell me what could be the problem? It's driving me crazy.

By Mrs N

Best Answer

You can contact Whirlpool customer service via email or phone-see the information below:

WHIRLPOOL

Save time by checking your appliance information before contacting us. Manuals & Literature

PHONE:

US: 1-866-698-2538

Canada: 1-800-688-2002

Hour of Operation:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST

Please locate the appliance's model and serial number before calling.

Need help finding your model and serial number?

EMAIL:

http://www.whir  .com/contact-us/

My washer is washing, but will not spin. I got new motor couplers, but it is still not working.

By Lisa

This sounds like there may be a belt broken. You can purchase a new belt from either the manufacturer or even sometimes local repair and parts places have them in stock. They are fairly easy to replace yourself.

I have Kenmore front loading washer, model no. 417.43042200. My washer takes forever to run through its spin cycle. Sometimes the first load runs the normal amount of time. Usually the second load is were it hangs up, it typically gets to the final spin cycle and keeps going and going. If I advance the dial a tick it will finish out. I have a couple questions: Is this a timer problem or the board that controls the timer? Is this something I could get parts for and replace myself without requiring a full compliment of specialized equipment? I bought this washer in 2002 for about $400, am I kidding myself with even thinking about repairing this unit?

By RCB

We had a problem with an old washer in our rented house. We decided to have Sears check the washer for a fee of $75; our experience with Sears is good and, at the time, their special deal was that we would receive $75 off a new washer. A Sears service man checked the washer and stated the repair cost would be more than the cost of a new washer. After he explained what was needed, we agreed to buy a new washer. We received $75 off the new Sears Kenmore washer.

You do not say your washer's age, but you have had it for 12 years now. You can request a service find the problem for a fee. At least you will know your choices.

My washing machine will wash but the spin cycle will not spin or drain the tub what do I do to repair that?

By Shelly H. from Manteca, CA

You call a repair man.

My washer will wash, but won't finsh doing the rinse cycle or the spin cycle. It leaves all the water in the washer. What do I do?

By Amber H

The washer problem could be many possibilities and would probably be difficult for someone to answer from this site. Suggest an evaluation by a repair service.

My washing machine whirlpool model wtw4950xw3 stopped after the rinse. It's not spinning.

I have a top loading GE washer that I purchased in January 2015. The washer will not spin and leaks water from the bottom. It of course is not under warranty. Any ideas on what can be causing this and if it is worth fixing?

My washing machine drums, started to make loud beating noise and after awhile stopped working.

By Gianni

If you do not know how why your washer stopped working, it would be difficult for anyone here to suggest a solution. There are many factors to consider and you have not provided any additional information. If your washer is more than 4-5 years old, the most probable solution is to replace the broken washer. Your best plan would be to have a washer repair service check the washer and suggest a solution.

My washing machine will wash, but it won't spin. I have to put it on a spin only and it works fine then. What could this be?

By Louise from Rhondda

I wonder if it is not the dial. If you can afford a repairperson, get one in to check this out. If you can not, just run the washing machine the way it is; it will not be as convenient, but it should work for you.

My machine was washing then it just stopped. I can hear it trying to empty but nothing. I switched it off then switched it back on and it started to fill up again, then stopped. Any help is appreciated. It's an old machine, but I never had any problems till now. It's an Indesit 1500 wil153. I can hear the sound of the motor trying to work, but nothing. It keeps stopping.

By Paula

I had that problem as well. I do believe it's your pump. I use to lower the hose to drain in a giant bucket during that part of the cycle but that became old after awhile. I had to keep dumping the water from the bucket. I picked up a used one at the Salvation Army for about $25 and I'm now back in business. You can also get a repairman to fix it but not sure how new your machine is and if it's worth the price. I'm sure that would be at leat $50 to repair.

I have a 20 year old Maytag washer that has a two cycle. One cycle, the spin dry will not work. On the other cycle it works fine. Any thought why the one cycle will not spin?

By Tom W.

I had the same problem, a repairman replaced the door switch motor in my washer and that resolved it.

The spin cycle does not work on my machine. It washes and rinses fine, but will not spin.

By Wanda from Greenwood, SC

How old is your machine, and is it still under warranty?

If still under warranty the cost to have a factory trained repair tech come out will be very reasonable (and may even be free) but be aware that some things are not covered under even a comprehensive warranty if the tech determines the fault is yours (overloading, using too much detergent, incorrectly installed by a DIY installer, etc).

The age matters for things like belts and drives - on one older machine of mine it was the belt, on another newer model it was the 'transmission', and on another it was an accumulation of lint.

Too, this really is a job for a trained repair tech because it involves pulling the back panel and being exposed to dangerous static electricity build up. The tech will know how to keep from being badly shocked (goes far beyond merely unplugging the machine, btw), and has the training to get your machine spinning again.

Depending on the age and make of your machine it may actually cost you less to replace it with new machine. However, if your machine has specialty features it may be more cost effective to have it repaired.

Telephone around and get some over the phone estimates of the costs involved. No matter what they try to say over the phone ("Oh your problem could be so many different things it's best if I come out and have a look..." and variations on that theme), stick to your guns and ask them for a rough estimate over the phone so you can decide if you want to spend the money on repairs or replacement. A good repair tech will respect that and will give you a rough idea of the costs based on best and worst case scenarios.

Repair tech charges are based on making the trip to your house+labour to fix the machine+the parts needed.

My washing machine completes the wash cycle, water drains, then it starts the spin cycle, it fills up with water, but when the water is in the tub instead of spinning it stops, with water left in the tub.

By HenryJ from Norman, OK

If you can't fix it yourself, call in someone to repair it.

My washer's spin cycle does not work. What can I do?

By Arturo from San Diego, CA

I just had that problem. The repairman pulled the front off the machine and found a small nail that had fallen through the holes in the washer tub. I didn't watch him do this, so I don't know where inside the machine it was, but he found it right away. Hope this helps.

My Bosch machine is 3 years old and I have tried every cycle to see if they react differently, but I am not getting drier clothes. They just come out soaking.

By Teresa

My top load washer drains, but does not spin. It leaves the clothes very damp.

By Jack

My Whirlpool top load washer spin cycle is not working. What should I check before I call the repairman?

By MW

If your top loading washer doesn't spin it probably needs a new belt, and if your handy you can do it yourself, you can order the belt you need through your washer brand, call their number and they can order it for you and you can put it on the same way you took it off and save yourself some money. I feel you can also do the same thing for a front loading machine too. If you are not a handyperson call a repairman to do it for you. Sometimes you can also order the part through anyplace that sells them as well.

Front loader will not do a final spin to remove or spin out last bit of water. Appliance works, but does not do the fast spin at end of any cycle.

By Kevin C. from Ventura, CA

The washer works fine on all other cycles, but will not spin on any part of cycle 3 (30 degree wash). Any ideas?

By Terry

I have a Frigidaire stackable washer and dryer. The washer keeps filling during the spin cycle leaving water in the machine. The machine still spins and empties but continues to fill.

By Kristin from Charleston, SC

Once the machine is in the spin mode and is rinsing out, turn off the water to the machine. Hope this helps you short turn. Obviously there is a problem with your washer and you need a service call. Depending on the age and cost of repair you might opt to shut off the water.

Load More