Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer

It is truly frustrating to have the spin cycle on your washer quit working, leaving you with a sopping load of laundry. This is a guide about spin cycle not working on washer.

open washing machine
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 28, 2016 Flag

I have a Kenmore, model 10502 990 top loader, type 110. The year it was installed was 2001. It works well, but the washer's spin cycle does not get out sufficient water from the clothing. What is your best guess with what is wrong and should I just call repair rather than try to fix it on my own?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think it depends on the cost of repair services in your community. I have a similarly aged machine, and a few years ago the spin cycle quit working. At that time, our local repair person popped over, fixed the machine in less than 30 minutes, as it is a very common problem, and I have been washing merrily ever since. The bill was less than $100, including the new part. As well, a few weeks later, it happened again, and the fellow repaired it again, free of charge, as he said it should have lasted longer! If you have such a repair person, call them in. My fellow was able to diagnose the problem over the phone. I always think it is a good idea to call in someone who knows what they are doing rather than fool around for hours and days trying to do such repairs by oneself. Be sure that the advice you get from a repair person is valid. I've had advice from a car dealership regarding the price to repair my car vs. the cost of a newer model. The dealership was really interested in selling me the newer car. A repair shop that only did repairs fixed my car, with quite major repairs, but much less than the cost of another one. And the car ran for several more years.

Read More Answers...

March 22, 2015 Flag

I have a Whirlpool washer model #wtw5500xw2 that won't spin all the water out of the clothes. Can someone tell me what could be the problem? It's driving me crazy.

By Mrs N

Best Answer

You can contact Whirlpool customer service via email or phone-see the information below:

WHIRLPOOL

Save time by checking your appliance information before contacting us. Manuals & Literature

PHONE:

US: 1-866-698-2538

Canada: 1-800-688-2002

Hour of Operation:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST

Please locate the appliance's model and serial number before calling.

Need help finding your model and serial number?

EMAIL:

http://www.whirlpool.com/contact-us/

February 27, 2014 Flag

My GE washer is 3 years old (model#GHWP1000MOWW), it will drain the water out, but will not spin. It makes a sound like it's spinning, but it isn't. Thanks.

By Scott H.

Best Answer

Howdy. I had this happen to me about a year back. After me researching this on the web. I decided it was the lid switch. When you put down your lid to the washer... it starts a mechanism. I also talked with people where I ordered my parts from and they agreed... it was the lid switch.

I ordered it (less than $50.00 including s/h), and then installed it ourselves (me and my husband). I found out how to replace it by using youtube. I watched the video several times and even kept it up and was running back and forth from the washer to the computer. We got it replaced and it worked like a dream.

Read More Answers...

May 6, 2016 Flag

My washing machine whirlpool model wtw4950xw3 stopped after the rinse. It's not spinning.

April 19, 2016 Flag

I have a top loading GE washer that I purchased in January 2015. The washer will not spin and leaks water from the bottom. It of course is not under warranty. Any ideas on what can be causing this and if it is worth fixing?

February 24, 2015 Flag

My washer is washing, but will not spin. I got new motor couplers, but it is still not working.

By Lisa

My machine had one small part that wore out that controlled the spinning. For all those people who say it is a worn out belt, my Kenmore machine did not have any belts. I called a local repair man who replaced the part, had special little tools he had made for just this job, and was in and out in less than half an hour. When the part broke down a few months later, he fixed it again, for no cost as he said it should have lasted for years. It has been a few years, and the machine is still working just fine. My machine is 14 years old, and the repair was done about 4 years ago. I consider the money I paid to the repair person to be very well spent.

Read More Answers...

March 6, 2015 Flag

My washer will drain, but not spin. It is fine on the wash cycle, but once it starts to drain it makes a loud noise and then won't spin.

By Linda S.

If you have a reliable repair person, you could call and consult. When my machine wouldn't spin, the repairman diagnosed the problem over the phone, and when he came to fix it, took less than an hour and charged a very reasonable price. It was much cheaper than a new machine!

Read More Answers...

September 5, 2015 Flag

Our GE washer will not spin when it has a load of clothes. It washes, rinses, and drains but will not spin. However, if you run it empty all cycles work fine. Any ideas?

I had a wonderful repairman in my community. My idea is to call a repair shop and talk to someone there. If you have access to a good repair person, it will likely be an easy thing to fix for someone who knows what they are doing. These people train for these jobs; I always think it is best to consult an expert.

April 12, 2014 Flag

My washing machine will wash but the spin cycle will not spin or drain the tub what do I do to repair that?

By Shelly H. from Manteca, CA

Sounds like the lid switch has gone bad. Google your model number and look for lid switch. Most can be found for about 15 dollars.

Read More Answers...

January 25, 2015 Flag

I have Kenmore front loading washer, model no. 417.43042200. My washer takes forever to run through its spin cycle. Sometimes the first load runs the normal amount of time. Usually the second load is were it hangs up, it typically gets to the final spin cycle and keeps going and going. If I advance the dial a tick it will finish out. I have a couple questions: Is this a timer problem or the board that controls the timer? Is this something I could get parts for and replace myself without requiring a full compliment of specialized equipment? I bought this washer in 2002 for about $400, am I kidding myself with even thinking about repairing this unit?

By RCB

We had a problem with an old washer in our rented house. We decided to have Sears check the washer for a fee of $75; our experience with Sears is good and, at the time, their special deal was that we would receive $75 off a new washer. A Sears service man checked the washer and stated the repair cost would be more than the cost of a new washer. After he explained what was needed, we agreed to buy a new washer. We received $75 off the new Sears Kenmore washer.

You do not say your washer's age, but you have had it for 12 years now. You can request a service find the problem for a fee. At least you will know your choices.

December 27, 2014 Flag

My washer will wash, but won't finsh doing the rinse cycle or the spin cycle. It leaves all the water in the washer. What do I do?

By Amber H

The washer problem could be many possibilities and would probably be difficult for someone to answer from this site. Suggest an evaluation by a repair service.

December 18, 2014 Flag

My washing machine drums, started to make loud beating noise and after awhile stopped working.

By Gianni

If you do not know how why your washer stopped working, it would be difficult for anyone here to suggest a solution. There are many factors to consider and you have not provided any additional information. If your washer is more than 4-5 years old, the most probable solution is to replace the broken washer. Your best plan would be to have a washer repair service check the washer and suggest a solution.

December 13, 2014 Flag

My washing machine will wash, but it won't spin. I have to put it on a spin only and it works fine then. What could this be?

By Louise from Rhondda

I wonder if it is not the dial. If you can afford a repairperson, get one in to check this out. If you can not, just run the washing machine the way it is; it will not be as convenient, but it should work for you.

October 21, 2014 Flag

My machine was washing then it just stopped. I can hear it trying to empty but nothing. I switched it off then switched it back on and it started to fill up again, then stopped. Any help is appreciated. It's an old machine, but I never had any problems till now. It's an Indesit 1500 wil153. I can hear the sound of the motor trying to work, but nothing. It keeps stopping.

By Paula

I had that problem as well. I do believe it's your pump. I use to lower the hose to drain in a giant bucket during that part of the cycle but that became old after awhile. I had to keep dumping the water from the bucket. I picked up a used one at the Salvation Army for about $25 and I'm now back in business. You can also get a repairman to fix it but not sure how new your machine is and if it's worth the price. I'm sure that would be at leat $50 to repair.

April 13, 2014 Flag

My washer drains from the bottom and won't spin, so the clothes are soaked.

By Pete

Hello, Go to Youtube. There are literally tons of 'how to' videos. Enter your problem in the search box and you will have many to select from. I've saved quite a bit of money doing this.

April 4, 2011 Flag

All of a sudden my washer won't spin. It sounds like it is but it doesn't revolve. Does this sound like it might be a solenoid?

By Lois from Seattle, WA

Probably your clutch has gone out. It will need to be repaired.

Read More Answers...

March 26, 2014 Flag

I have a 20 year old Maytag washer that has a two cycle. One cycle, the spin dry will not work. On the other cycle it works fine. Any thought why the one cycle will not spin?

By Tom W.

I had the same problem, a repairman replaced the door switch motor in my washer and that resolved it.

September 4, 2013 Flag

The spin cycle does not work on my machine. It washes and rinses fine, but will not spin.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2011 Flag

My washing machine completes the wash cycle, water drains, then it starts the spin cycle, it fills up with water, but when the water is in the tub instead of spinning it stops, with water left in the tub.

Load More
          Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersJuly 28, 2013
          Washing Machine
          Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
          clothes in washer spinning
          Washer Making Noise During Spin Cycle
          washing machine
          Washer is Stuck in Spin Cycle
          Front Loading Washer
          Front Loading Washer Not Spinning
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 23, 2016 at 11:05:08 PM on 10.0.0.196 in 517 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.