Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer

It is truly frustrating to have the spin cycle on your washer quit working, leaving you with a sopping load of laundry. This is a guide about spin cycle not working on washer.

November 25, 2016 Flag

I have a Kenmore front loading washer model # 41744052400 that won't spin. It will agitate and drain, but will only spin when I run the diagnostics. I replaced the door switch and the front control panel with used, but tested ones and still have the same problem. It does make a loud buzzing noise when it is supposed to spin, but it also makes this noise when I force the spin through diagnostics. Any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you go to repairclinic.com you can get help answering your question.

March 28, 2016 Flag

I have a Kenmore, model 10502 990 top loader, type 110. The year it was installed was 2001. It works well, but the washer's spin cycle does not get out sufficient water from the clothing. What is your best guess with what is wrong and should I just call repair rather than try to fix it on my own?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think it depends on the cost of repair services in your community. I have a similarly aged machine, and a few years ago the spin cycle quit working. At that time, our local repair person popped over, fixed the machine in less than 30 minutes, as it is a very common problem, and I have been washing merrily ever since. The bill was less than $100, including the new part. As well, a few weeks later, it happened again, and the fellow repaired it again, free of charge, as he said it should have lasted longer! If you have such a repair person, call them in. My fellow was able to diagnose the problem over the phone. I always think it is a good idea to call in someone who knows what they are doing rather than fool around for hours and days trying to do such repairs by oneself. Be sure that the advice you get from a repair person is valid. I've had advice from a car dealership regarding the price to repair my car vs. the cost of a newer model. The dealership was really interested in selling me the newer car. A repair shop that only did repairs fixed my car, with quite major repairs, but much less than the cost of another one. And the car ran for several more years.

February 27, 2014 Flag

My GE washer is 3 years old (model#GHWP1000MOWW), it will drain the water out, but will not spin. It makes a sound like it's spinning, but it isn't. Thanks.

By Scott H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Howdy. I had this happen to me about a year back. After me researching this on the web. I decided it was the lid switch. When you put down your lid to the washer... it starts a mechanism. I also talked with people where I ordered my parts from and they agreed... it was the lid switch.

I ordered it (less than $50.00 including s/h), and then installed it ourselves (me and my husband). I found out how to replace it by using youtube. I watched the video several times and even kept it up and was running back and forth from the washer to the computer. We got it replaced and it worked like a dream.

March 22, 2015 Flag

I have a Whirlpool washer model #wtw5500xw2 that won't spin all the water out of the clothes. Can someone tell me what could be the problem? It's driving me crazy.

By Mrs N

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can contact Whirlpool customer service via email or phone-see the information below:

WHIRLPOOL

Save time by checking your appliance information before contacting us. Manuals & Literature

PHONE:

US: 1-866-698-2538

Canada: 1-800-688-2002

Hour of Operation:

Monday-Friday: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST

Please locate the appliance's model and serial number before calling.

Need help finding your model and serial number?

EMAIL:

http://www.whir  .com/contact-us/

February 24, 2015 Flag

My washer is washing, but will not spin. I got new motor couplers, but it is still not working.

By Lisa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This sounds like there may be a belt broken. You can purchase a new belt from either the manufacturer or even sometimes local repair and parts places have them in stock. They are fairly easy to replace yourself.

March 6, 2015 Flag

My washer will drain, but not spin. It is fine on the wash cycle, but once it starts to drain it makes a loud noise and then won't spin.

By Linda S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had to replace our old washer with a similar (same?) problem. The washer was over 20 years so not surprizing. Sears had a deal (and still may) for a service tech to examine the problem for $75. If we bought a new washer, Sears would credit the $75. As we knew the washer was most probably headed for washer heaven with the sad requiem sound of dying, we bought a new washer.

April 12, 2014 Flag

My washing machine will wash but the spin cycle will not spin or drain the tub what do I do to repair that?

By Shelly H. from Manteca, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You call a repair man.

December 27, 2014 Flag

My washer will wash, but won't finsh doing the rinse cycle or the spin cycle. It leaves all the water in the washer. What do I do?

By Amber H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The washer problem could be many possibilities and would probably be difficult for someone to answer from this site. Suggest an evaluation by a repair service.

September 5, 2015 Flag

Our GE washer will not spin when it has a load of clothes. It washes, rinses, and drains but will not spin. However, if you run it empty all cycles work fine. Any ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a wonderful repairman in my community. My idea is to call a repair shop and talk to someone there. If you have access to a good repair person, it will likely be an easy thing to fix for someone who knows what they are doing. These people train for these jobs; I always think it is best to consult an expert.

January 25, 2015 Flag

I have Kenmore front loading washer, model no. 417.43042200. My washer takes forever to run through its spin cycle. Sometimes the first load runs the normal amount of time. Usually the second load is were it hangs up, it typically gets to the final spin cycle and keeps going and going. If I advance the dial a tick it will finish out. I have a couple questions: Is this a timer problem or the board that controls the timer? Is this something I could get parts for and replace myself without requiring a full compliment of specialized equipment? I bought this washer in 2002 for about $400, am I kidding myself with even thinking about repairing this unit?

By RCB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had a problem with an old washer in our rented house. We decided to have Sears check the washer for a fee of $75; our experience with Sears is good and, at the time, their special deal was that we would receive $75 off a new washer. A Sears service man checked the washer and stated the repair cost would be more than the cost of a new washer. After he explained what was needed, we agreed to buy a new washer. We received $75 off the new Sears Kenmore washer.

You do not say your washer's age, but you have had it for 12 years now. You can request a service find the problem for a fee. At least you will know your choices.

December 18, 2014 Flag

My washing machine drums, started to make loud beating noise and after awhile stopped working.

By Gianni

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you do not know how why your washer stopped working, it would be difficult for anyone here to suggest a solution. There are many factors to consider and you have not provided any additional information. If your washer is more than 4-5 years old, the most probable solution is to replace the broken washer. Your best plan would be to have a washer repair service check the washer and suggest a solution.

December 13, 2014 Flag

My washing machine will wash, but it won't spin. I have to put it on a spin only and it works fine then. What could this be?

By Louise from Rhondda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I wonder if it is not the dial. If you can afford a repairperson, get one in to check this out. If you can not, just run the washing machine the way it is; it will not be as convenient, but it should work for you.

May 6, 2016 Flag

My washing machine whirlpool model wtw4950xw3 stopped after the rinse. It's not spinning.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 21, 2014 Flag

My machine was washing then it just stopped. I can hear it trying to empty but nothing. I switched it off then switched it back on and it started to fill up again, then stopped. Any help is appreciated. It's an old machine, but I never had any problems till now. It's an Indesit 1500 wil153. I can hear the sound of the motor trying to work, but nothing. It keeps stopping.

By Paula

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had that problem as well. I do believe it's your pump. I use to lower the hose to drain in a giant bucket during that part of the cycle but that became old after awhile. I had to keep dumping the water from the bucket. I picked up a used one at the Salvation Army for about $25 and I'm now back in business. You can also get a repairman to fix it but not sure how new your machine is and if it's worth the price. I'm sure that would be at leat $50 to repair.

April 19, 2016 Flag

I have a top loading GE washer that I purchased in January 2015. The washer will not spin and leaks water from the bottom. It of course is not under warranty. Any ideas on what can be causing this and if it is worth fixing?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 13, 2014 Flag

My washer drains from the bottom and won't spin, so the clothes are soaked.

By Pete

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello, Go to Youtube. There are literally tons of 'how to' videos. Enter your problem in the search box and you will have many to select from. I've saved quite a bit of money doing this.

March 26, 2014 Flag

I have a 20 year old Maytag washer that has a two cycle. One cycle, the spin dry will not work. On the other cycle it works fine. Any thought why the one cycle will not spin?

By Tom W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem, a repairman replaced the door switch motor in my washer and that resolved it.

September 4, 2013 Flag

The spin cycle does not work on my machine. It washes and rinses fine, but will not spin.

By Wanda from Greenwood, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How old is your machine, and is it still under warranty?

If still under warranty the cost to have a factory trained repair tech come out will be very reasonable (and may even be free) but be aware that some things are not covered under even a comprehensive warranty if the tech determines the fault is yours (overloading, using too much detergent, incorrectly installed by a DIY installer, etc).

The age matters for things like belts and drives - on one older machine of mine it was the belt, on another newer model it was the 'transmission', and on another it was an accumulation of lint.

Too, this really is a job for a trained repair tech because it involves pulling the back panel and being exposed to dangerous static electricity build up. The tech will know how to keep from being badly shocked (goes far beyond merely unplugging the machine, btw), and has the training to get your machine spinning again.

Depending on the age and make of your machine it may actually cost you less to replace it with new machine. However, if your machine has specialty features it may be more cost effective to have it repaired.

Telephone around and get some over the phone estimates of the costs involved. No matter what they try to say over the phone ("Oh your problem could be so many different things it's best if I come out and have a look..." and variations on that theme), stick to your guns and ask them for a rough estimate over the phone so you can decide if you want to spend the money on repairs or replacement. A good repair tech will respect that and will give you a rough idea of the costs based on best and worst case scenarios.

Repair tech charges are based on making the trip to your house+labour to fix the machine+the parts needed.

April 24, 2011 Flag

My washing machine completes the wash cycle, water drains, then it starts the spin cycle, it fills up with water, but when the water is in the tub instead of spinning it stops, with water left in the tub.

By HenryJ from Norman, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can't fix it yourself, call in someone to repair it.

March 23, 2011 Flag

My washer's spin cycle does not work. What can I do?

By Arturo from San Diego, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just had that problem. The repairman pulled the front off the machine and found a small nail that had fallen through the holes in the washer tub. I didn't watch him do this, so I don't know where inside the machine it was, but he found it right away. Hope this helps.

July 7, 2012 Flag

My Whirlpool top load washer spin cycle is not working. What should I check before I call the repairman?

By MW

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your top loading washer doesn't spin it probably needs a new belt, and if your handy you can do it yourself, you can order the belt you need through your washer brand, call their number and they can order it for you and you can put it on the same way you took it off and save yourself some money. I feel you can also do the same thing for a front loading machine too. If you are not a handyperson call a repairman to do it for you. Sometimes you can also order the part through anyplace that sells them as well.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersJuly 28, 2013
Washing Machine
Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
clothes in washer spinning
Washer Making Noise During Spin Cycle
washing machine
Washer is Stuck in Spin Cycle
Front Loading Washer
Front Loading Washer Not Spinning
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 8:25:18 AM on 10.0.1.190 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.