Substitutes for Chocolate in Recipes

Many recipes call for chocolate bars, chunks or chips. If you are out of them, there are other ingredients that you can substitute. This is a guide about substitutes for chocolate in recipes.

November 2, 2009 Flag

Could anyone give me some suggestions please? I see so many recipes using chocolate chips and I get so frustrated, because I would love to try them out. However, I can't because where I live chocolate chips or drops are, for some obscure reason, horribly expensive.

Would anyone know if there is a substitute that I can use instead? I've tried smashing up a chocolate bar and the bits are too big, running it through a food processor just makes one big gunky mess. Help, please?

By Cettina from Malta, Europe

Best Answer

Here is an easy trick for using the thin Hershey bars; try sticking them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes til they are really cold, then take it out and hold flat in the hand and slam it against the counter top then carefully open the paper. Any pieces that are still too big will be easy (and quick) to cut or break into pieces small enough to work as chips in your cookies.

We used to do this with a certain kind of taffy bar and Jolly Rancher bars when I was a kid to make them into mouth sized pieces (and sneak them into our mouths in schoo) lol!

Sugar cookies made with the sour Jolly Rancher bars broken this way are a real treat for kids who love the sour stuff. I never grew out of loving sour stuff. You can also break the Hershey bars into individual squares and then put one on top of each cookies as it comes out of the oven and it will melt and "frost" the top of the cookie.

Best Answer

M and Ms and also grate the chocolate bar as well could help also I have not had chocolate chips on hand and so I use chocolate powder. Works wonderfully :) Just a 1/4 of a cup of chocolate powder in the mix makes wonderful chocolate cookies :) Just chocolate baking powder. Works great I think it is unsweetened but when you put the sugar in you just taste the chocolate in the dough :)

Best Answer

Have you ever thought of using raisins or chopped dates? It would be healthier for you. You did say you have a chocolate bar, but it was thick, have you tried using a large knife to chop the bar into thin strips, while it is at room temperature? Then freeze those strips in a zip lock bag. After it freezes, use a meat tenderizer or hammer on the bag until all the pieces are smaller. Or, you could melt the candy bar in a double boiler or microwave, put it in an icing bag, create little dots with your icing bag and use them as chocolate chips.

Best Answer

Dark chocolate in the US is the same as plain chocolate in Europe. Cadbury makes a dark chocolate bar (how about Nestle"s) - maybe you could get them in Malta. Freeze them first, then grate or break into small pieces. We also make chocolate chunk cookies - which use larger pieces of chocolate and they are VERY good. Happy baking!

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan

Best Answer

February 8, 2011 Flag

If you run out of unsweetened baking chocolate, try this substitute: combine 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder with 1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening for every ounce of chocolate.

Source: Woman's World magazine

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

This is a great tip to keep on hand, latrtatr! Come to think of it, wouldn't this actually end up costing less per ounce than using the chocolate squares too?

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsAugust 25, 2013
Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips
Making Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips
bowl of pita chips
Homemade Pita Chips Recipes
Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Paint Chips
Crafts Using Paint Chips