Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Substitutes for Chocolate in Recipes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Mixing bowl with chocolate chips.

Many recipes call for chocolate bars, chunks or chips. If you are out of them, there are other ingredients that you can substitute. This is a guide about substitutes for chocolate in recipes.

Recipes

Read and rate the best recipes below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Substitute

If you run out of unsweetened baking chocolate, try this substitute: combine 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder with 1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening for every ounce of chocolate.

Source: Woman's World magazine

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Share Your Feedback: Have you tried this recipe? Do you have your own variation which you would like to share? Click "Share a Recipe" above!

Here are questions related to Substitutes for Chocolate in Recipes.

Question: Substitute for Chocolate Chips in Recipes

Could anyone give me some suggestions please? I see so many recipes using chocolate chips and I get so frustrated, because I would love to try them out. However, I can't because where I live chocolate chips or drops are, for some obscure reason, horribly expensive.

Would anyone know if there is a substitute that I can use instead? I've tried smashing up a chocolate bar and the bits are too big, running it through a food processor just makes one big gunky mess. Help, please?

By Cettina from Malta, Europe

Best Answers

By dale [1]04/01/2010

Buy a package of chocolate almond bark which is used as a dipping chocolate and normally on sale a Christmas time. Melt in microwave then pour out in thin layer on wax paper. Let it set then chop it.

Best Answers

By Joan [19]11/05/2009

Dark chocolate in the US is the same as plain chocolate in Europe. Cadbury makes a dark chocolate bar (how about Nestle"s) - maybe you could get them in Malta. Freeze them first, then grate or break into small pieces. We also make chocolate chunk cookies - which use larger pieces of chocolate and they are VERY good. Happy baking!

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan

Best Answers

By Sandra Moore [3]11/04/2009

Have you ever thought of using raisins or chopped dates? It would be healthier for you. You did say you have a chocolate bar, but it was thick, have you tried using a large knife to chop the bar into thin strips, while it is at room temperature? Then freeze those strips in a zip lock bag. After it freezes, use a meat tenderizer or hammer on the bag until all the pieces are smaller. Or, you could melt the candy bar in a double boiler or microwave, put it in an icing bag, create little dots with your icing bag and use them as chocolate chips.

Best Answers

By Lynne11/04/2009

M and Ms and also grate the chocolate bar as well could help also I have not had chocolate chips on hand and so I use chocolate powder. Works wonderfully :) Just a 1/4 of a cup of chocolate powder in the mix makes wonderful chocolate cookies :) Just chocolate baking powder. Works great I think it is unsweetened but when you put the sugar in you just taste the chocolate in the dough :)