Summer Fresh Tomato Pie for One

Category Pies
Summer Fresh Tomato Pie for One
When you have an abundance of tomatoes, this recipe makes a small cheesy pie to enjoy all by yourself. This page contains a summer fresh tomato pie for one.

This is a very juicy pie. It's tomatoes after all, so be prepared for drippage! If you don't care for tomato skins like me, they pull right off with your fork.
Just double the recipe and use a regular pie plate, if you want a big pie to share. Hope you will love this as much as I do. All you need to make this scrumptious summer treat is pictured below.

Prep Time: Approx. 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: Approx. 1 hour

Yield: 1 or 2 servings

Source: Kevin Lee Jacobs' blog and recipe inspired me to try this as a serving for one.

• 4 -5 unbaked crescent rolls.
  • 1-2 fresh tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick.
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
  • crumbled bacon bits (optional)
  • finely sliced basil (optional, but who wouldn't?)
  • Kosher salt
  • fresh ground pepper

1. Coat a #3 (the little guy) cast iron skillet with cooking spray. Press the crescent roll dough onto the bottom and sides of the skillet; joining any gaps with your fingertips.
  2. Layer tomato slices to cover the bottom. Sprinkle the basil, salt and pepper over the tomato. Add bacon, or not, as you choose.
  3. Mix the mayo and cheese together and plop on top of the tomatoes. Spread to completely cover the tomatoes.
  4. Bake at 375 degrees F. on the rack just below middle for about 30 mins. Watch for browning of crescent edges and cheesy top. That's when you know it's ready.
  5. Ad
  6. Allow to cool maybe 15 mins. if you can stand the wait.
  7. I usually enjoy the first half right there at the counter.

I got hungry just reading this recipe. It has go to be so good. I too will take the skins off the tomatoes.

Thanks so much!

Thank you , Likekinds, I should have included that some crumbled bacon on the tomatoes makes it even better. And if you can stand even more yumminess, grease the pan with bacon grease. Definitely not for dieters or those who are paranoid about animal fats, but for those of us whose mother's thought bacon grease was part of the food pyramid, I say, meh, go for it.

As a child, I ate biscuits made with hog lard, three times a day. I often wondered how my forefathers could have eaten a diet so rich in animal fat and yet live so long. I think the fat being counterbalanced with lots and lots of roughage, greens, cabbage, etc. was what saved them.

You're probably right. Balance is the key. And I wouldn't think of making a pie crust with anything other than lard.