Browsing: Tips for Swallowing Pills

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Tips for Swallowing Pills

For many people taking tablets or capsules can be difficult.. This guide contains tips for swallowing bills.

A woman holding pills in one hand and a glass of water in the other.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 4, 2012 Flag

Grind Up "Elephant" Sized Pills, materials for breaking up calcium pill.I have to take extra calcium every day, I really have a hard time swallowing pills, especially the big ones. I found a solution, I put the pill between a paper towel and bang on it with a hammer until it is a fine powder. I sprinkle it every morning on what I am having for breakfast; i. e.: toast, cereal, eggs, etc. You can do this with any daily pill you have to take.

By Eileen from Yorktown, VA

Editor's Note: Slow release or capsule type pills should be taken whole to work correctly. Consult with your doctor before grinding up your prescription medications.

January 27, 2015 Flag

I have a lot of difficulty taking pills and vitamins - they would get stuck to the roof of my mouth or they would end up in the front of my mouth when swallowing water. I had better luck just swallowing them with saliva. I was thinking I have no trouble swallowing food, so what I do is when I'm eating I take my pills just before I swallow my well chewed food. I put a pill or 2 in my mouth closer to the back of my mouth and I swallow everything goes down perfectly, no more choking or pills rolling around and not going down.

June 21, 2012 Flag

If you have trouble swallowing pills, there is a very easy solution. Place the pill in your mouth, then drink your water (or other liquid) through a straw. There's something about the closed-mouth sucking motion that helps the pill go down.

June 18, 2012 Flag

How do you swallow a pill? I am trying to swallow the smallest pill ever, but I just can't do it. I'm scared I will choke on it, because I have in the past. Any ideas?

By A K

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try putting the pill on the tip of your tongue and then take a swallow of water.

If you can tollerate milk, take your pill with a swallow if it. It coats the pill and makes them rather slick and they go down easy.

Often the problem is that your mouth is dry, especially if you feel nervous. Take a sip of water first, put the pill on the back of your tongue, then take another drink of water.

I put the pills on a spoon full of apple sauce or sour cream and just swallow. Works great. No problems and can not feel the pill. Even large pills are done this way.

I didn't see this until tonight, but I have 2 ideas for you, which I and my friend Bill have used to give pills to pets. 1 - You can coat the pill with a little butter and it will go down easier. 2 - There is a product called Pill Glide which is available in drugstores and grocery stores that does the same thing.

August 20, 2012 Flag

When I have to take a large pill I get a little pat of butter and coat the pill. It goes down very easily. No more cutting the calcium pills into small pieces.

April 5, 2012 Flag

When you are trying to take a capsule, you should put it in your mouth with a sip of water then tilt your head forward (down). When the capsule floats to the back of your mouth, swallow it.

April 5, 2005 Flag

Swallowing pills can be hard for some people. Here are some tips to help. Post your ideas.

I have found that the easiest way for me to swallow a nasty pill is to coat it with peanut butter. This completely hides the taste and size of the pill. Works for me every time!

Ok. So, I'm 14 and my mom recently got my vitamins that I have to take every single day. I suck at taking pills because I can always feel it in my mouth, so I know it's there. But, today I found out when you eat ice cream with a topping (mine had chocolate chips) just take a spoonful of it, place the pill & pretend its one of your toppings (: [Plus , you get ice cream everyday ! ]

I have been taking pills since I was 4 (I was allergic to most liquid forms of medication, the flavorings mde me hyper) - Here's how I do it.

- Have beverage ready

- stick out your tongue

- place pill on the back/middle of your tongue

- pull in tongue and drink beverage

I have gotten down some big and unpleasant pills/vitamins this way. The more you practice, the faster you get.

A great trick/solution with concrete step by step advice!

My new 14 year old stepson had never once been able to swallow a pill. His major problem, as I assume it is with most people, was that his tongue kept involuntarily pinning the pill against the roof of his mouth when he went to swallow, keeping it from traveling to his throat. Therefore it occurred to me the key must be to control the tongue reflex.

Here's what we did if you want to try the same:

1. Pour a medium amount of water into your mouth, tilt your head back and let it settle back towards your throat

2. Pop the pill into your mouth as far back as you can toss it, hopefully to the point where it's submerged in water

3. Gently hold your tongue between your teeth, letting it stick out just a little

4. Swallow the water SMOOTHLY in one gulp while holding the tip of your tongue softly between your teeth until your done swallowing.

If you don't seize up and swallow in jerky motions, the pill will slide down easily before your tongue can slip back and trap it in your mouth. If you need to, stick your tongue out a little farther.

We practiced the above first with water only, then with progressively bigger candies, and finally with a pill. Ultimately we solved an 8 year problem in about 20 minutes. Give it a shot.

October 4, 2010 Flag

Health & Beauty AdviceJune 19, 2012
Closeup of Pills in Weekly Medication Organizer
Remembering to Take Medicine
Razor For Removing Fabric Pills
Removing Pills From Fabric
Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs
pill splitter
Splitting Pills
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 20, 2016 at 2:53:03 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.