Treating White Dog Shaker Syndrome

Category Health
The best person to ask when you are concerned about your dog's health is a veterinarian. This guide is about treating white dog shaker syndrome.

My West Highland White Terrier had white dog shaker head syndrome. They wanted to run all sorts of tests and put him on all sorts of meds. I decided to try a different approach. One by one, I eliminated different foods from his diet. I found out that, when I completely eliminated eggs from his diet, he no longer had the shaker head syndrome. He has been shaker head free for 5 years now!

By Staceyann from Tucson, AZ

I had a similar experience with one of our Great Danes - he was always sick at his stomach and after many tests the vet was going to do exploratory surgery to see what was going on. in the meantime I was searching the internet (He was on a premium food) and found a post from a lady that her dog was having the same type symptoms and on the same food that we used. we switched food and was able to cancel his surgery. He is doing well and feels great now!

gr8dnm

Looking for information about white shakerdog syndrome or tremors in small dogs. My dog has them and he is on steroids but his liver count is high because of the pills. I cannot keep him on them forever. Please help with any home remedy.

Madeline

I have a three year old Westie who has starting shaking recently. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. Excitement doesn't bring it on, but a trip to the vet does. At home she will act startled, jump up from her bed, run into another room and sit there and shake. I cover her up and hold her for awhile and she gets better. It's almost like she's cold, but I know she's not. She has just started to do this in the last couple of months. The episodes seem to be coming more often now. I took her to the vet and a tech. saw her. She cleaned her anal glands hoping that might be the problem. She actually did act like she felt better for about three days, then tonight she had another episode. She also hasn't been eating and today she vomited. She has suffered with skin allergies ever since we got her. She as gotten steriod shots for that in the past, but it's been awhile. I don't like to give them if I can get her some relief thru baths and sprays. Her skin seems fine now, no dryness or bumps. She doesn't have fleas either. She eats Science Diet for Sensitive Skin dry food with a fish oil capsule and a brewers yeast pill. She doesn't seem to be depressed. The only other thing I've noticed is she has a lot of "belly" sounds. Her stomach growls. We really love her and I hate to think that she may be in pain. Any ideas from anyone?

Has my dog got this? It only seems to be when she gets scared so it does seem to have a pattern, but it is sometimes really bad. Most of the time it is from a tiny noise. Could this be the white shaker syndrome or just a symptom of a nervous dog?

My maltese was told he has white dog shaker syndrome and has been on predisone and diazepame for 16 days. His condition has improved except for the head shaking. We are at a cross road, if we should taper off the medicine or continue as it is.

If you dog is shaking please also check out possible liver shunt problem.

http://www.livershunt.com/

I have a one year old gold and white shih-tzu that we just found out has Shaker syndrome, She is on Predisone for 4 days now and no improvement. I have no Idea what I am going to do.

Our Maltese at the age of 9 had WSS. I learned that there are many vets who do not know about WSS. We took him to a neurologist and wihtin 10 minutes he knew it was WSS. The vet placed him a steroids for about 6 months reducing it as well. Our little finally stopped shaking and was taken off all meds. Blood work should be done to check levels of the liver, etc. while on steroids. I would suggest if your pets have WSS that maybe a visit to a neurologist would be helpful to you. It takes time for the meds to show any improvement.

I found one key to WSS if they are shaking and when resting meaning sleeping or just laying on the floor and while the head is down the shaking stopped. It could well be WSS.

Our little one's shaking started out slow and not often - then it was constant.

I would suggest reading all material on WWS if you think or your pet does have this.

One of my westies came down with white shaker dog syndrome when he was about two. It happened around the 4th of July when there were a lot of fireworks. He was shaking so badly that he couldn't sleep. The vet put him on prednisone and valium for about two weeks and he has not had any problems since, he is nine now. He always has a slight tremor with the back legs but nothing that bothers him. He is still afraid of loud noises, thunder, fireworks, etc. but he just wants to be held and then he is fine. I had thought I read somewhere that this might be an hereditary problem

Our Shih Tzu just started this and he seems to want to be close to us for comfort when it happens. Whispering to him and petting him a lot helps him calm down. I'd much sooner go with the homeopathic for him than Valium and steroids since both are such powerful meds, especially because the results are mixed. Maybe quite, calm and cuddling are good for everyone. Thanks for all this helpful information, everyone!

It is inflammation of the cerebellum, in the brain. Hugs are not going to cut it.

We just saw 3 vets at three different practices, in 4 days, and then we got a referral to see a pet neurology surgeon, one of three, at a neurology pet hospital in Phoenix Arizona. (FYI: There is on in Las Vegas too.)

We were expecting to pay $2,400.00 for an MRI. That would probably revile an unfixable brain problem. (Which we would have done) But it turned out the surgeon knew what it was after only a few tests.

Our "KID" who happens to be a Maltese puppy, has been prednisone and valium for 3 days and is doing unbelievably better. He is almost back to normal, other than being a little groggy from the valium. 3 days ago he was shaking, twitching, and stumbling so bad, my wife and I thought we were going to lose him after the 3rd vet appointment, and we were heat broken.

We are now told he has about a 99% chance of being 100% cured for good, but only if we totally eradicate the syndrom, Not just 2 or 3 weeks of treatment. Possibly 8 to 10 weeks, on the prednisone, and 2 weeks on the valium. We were told that if we under treat, it will come back. (Not fair to the pet.)

He is doing so much better, I am going to ask about stopping the valium sooner, but will abide by whatever the specialist says.

The neurologist also told us to be careful about what we read about it on the internet, because a lot of people don't know as much as they think they do about this, vet included. He said he has seen it a lot, because pet owners end up there when the vets think pets have had a brain injury causing damage.

Just on a side note. He said that 90% of the pets that come in because they are believed to have had a brain injury, have not. I just thought that was interesting.

So, Give your loved ones the best chance at a great life as you can, no matter how many feet they have.

Bobby (RBD2)

My chihuahua/papillion mix was just diagnosed with shaker dog syndrome by a neurologist. It is an inflammation of the brain and the valium helps quiet the shaking until the prednisone can do its thing to reduce the inflammation causing the tremors. My pup (almost 2 yrs) responded really well to the treatment and is now off the valium...the pred seems to be doing its job. She has no more tremors and is back to herself for the most part. She sleeps a little more than she used to, but that may be the antiobiotic (one side effect of the pred is that they are more susceptible to infection and she did get a minor bladder infection). In 2 weeks we are switching from pred to a less hard steroid that she will be on for about 3 months. This should clear up the tremor syndrome completely. I'm so grateful to the neurologist - I was so scared it was something uncurable or worse. It was expensive, but worth it - she had an MRI and spinal tap to be more conclusive with the diagnosis (to rule out infection or other brain problems). The neuro said she was not in any pain with the tremors, but they were definitely impacting her quality of life. Hope this offers encouragement to anyone who gets this diagnosis.