Treating an Anemic Cat

Category Cats
Like humans, animals can also suffer from anemia and the effects of this blood condition. This is a guide about treating an anemic cat.

My cat is extremely anemic. Tests have shown no parasites, no infection, and no feline leukemia. I don't have much money. A blood transfusion has been suggested at $500 and a bone marrow test for $1000. These are out of my reach.

For several years my cat munched on a peace lily I had. She would quickly vomit. I now know that these plants are poisonous, but since she hasn't died, could her anemia problem be related to the eating of the plant? Any suggestions on what I can do for her? She's currently on steroids and a vitamin supplement, but I can see that she's beginning to get worse rather than better, as when she first started on the steroids. Help!

By Sharon

Best Answer

Well, I hope the plant is gone, so that can't be a worry again.

You can get frozen chicken livers at low cost at several stores in their frozen meat area. I'd give her one cooked [saute on low/med heat in little oil after thawing out] per day, sprinkled with a bit of brewer's yeast mashed in. Brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast can be found in stores that have food in bins usually. A pinch per day would be plenty.

Liver contains iron and B vitamins, and so does brewers yeast. You don't want to overdo it [liver also contains vitamin A which can build up to unhealthy limits]. Bit I think if you go through one package of chicken livers you may see an improvement if improvement is possible. Then maybe 2 livers a week.

You'll have to figure out how to keep them fresh

when you are only giving them once a week, because each container of chicken livers [looks like cottage cheese or deli container] has about 10 livers.

Or buy cat food which contains liver. But still give the brewer's yeast because at least in people anemia can be caused by low iron and or low B vitamins.

Poor kitty.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I know that this is an old post, but wanted to post something here in case anyone else reads it now or in the future. I'm a nutritionist and have been dealing with sick people as well as animals for a long time, so u thought that I could chime in with some helpful tips here. :)

My neighbors cat was diagnosed with anemia and when I saw the cat licking every metal thing in sight (radiators, railings and even the sidewalk), it finally dawned on me that it was the minerals that they were after.

We all know how low the quality of human food is these days, so I think any of us can imagine just how low in nutrients (especially absorbable organic nutrients) that packaged cat (and dog) food is. Ever since our domestic animals started on a diet of packaged foods (and the quality that most people buy is dreadful), the rate of cancers and other diseases has skyrocketed. About 10 years ago, the rate of cancers and lymphoma's in cats was about 33%. Now it's at the 50% mark, which currently equals the cancer rates in dogs. Personally I believe that they are not able to break down and absorb the crude proteins and inorganic vitamins and minerals in packaged cat food as.

I think this is particularly true for cats, especially when it comes to breaking down proteins. Breaking down and absorbing proteins are tough on the kidneys (for humans and dogs as well) and it takes a lot of water (and energy) to do so. So continually having to break down a crude, low grade protein would eventually lead to kidney issues. Not being able to break down and absord the crude inorganic vitamins and minerals, would also lead to anemia (and if left untreated) as well as lymphoma's, leukemia and other cancers, just as it would in humans.

So what to do?

Start feeding your cats & dogs cooked (or possibly even raw) organic meats.

Supplements I'd add are:

1) Himalayan salt: It's the purest salt in the world and contains 84 different minerals in it. A sprinkle on their food, would definitely up their absorbable mineral content.

2) Nutritional Yeast (get the one with B-12): This is full of a large amount of B vitamins & Zinc. It's also a plus that it's also cheesy flavored, the yeast is deactivated and it is easily mixed and absorbed into cat foods.

3) Zeolite (the liquid form): One of my most favorite detoxer's on the planet. It's made from volcanic ash, it's 100% safe and it's been used for decades to keep livestock healthy. The difference between it and other detoxing clays, is that it's a negatively charged mineral (very rare) so it pulls things towards it. Since it also has a unique honeycomb structure to it, it's amazingly good at pulling things towards it and trapping them inside of it. Which is why nuclear plants use Zeolite to store used plutonium in. In fact, it was used to clean up at Chernobyl and sand bags of it were dumped into the seawater around Fukushima to stop the escaping plutonium from leaching into the Pacific ocean.

Why is all this important to your cat (and for you as well)? Because it also absorbs all heavy metals (lead, cadium, mercury, aluminum, etc.), it breaks up and absorbs entire chains of viruses from your body, it oxygenates and balances your bodies pH level (zeolite is also used to make medical grade oxygen), and much, much more. On top of all that, it was used in 2 different types of cancer studies. The first in a petri dish (where it killed all different types of cancer cells within 72 hours) and the second study was done with 65 people, who all had different stage 4 cancers and had all been sent home to die. They were all put on Zeolite and 78% of them experienced complete remission of their cancer. My personal experience with is has been impressive (though I have not had cancer) and I've used it with my cat with very good results as well.

4) Flor-Essence: This herbal based detoxing powerhouse comes in the form of a liquid or a tea and a lot of people (if you do an internet search) have experienced fantastic results with this herbal liver cleanser. Personally I've seen it work tremendously well with people as well, cleaning up toxins (probably the main reason for illnesses in both people and animals in my opinion) and putting very ill people back on track again.

5) Coconut Oil (raw and cold pressed only): My cat adores. A lot of people worry about the high saturated fat content of coconut oil, but just like good sugars & bad sugars, good proteins & bad proteins, good carbs & bad.... there are good saturated fats & bad. The division g line comes in when things are processed (as well as heated or frozen) and therefore "denatured". When this happens it changes the molecular and cellular structure of the food and makes it more difficult for the body to break it down and absorb it. However good fats like coconut oil not only bind to bad fats and help pull them out of the body, but they also aid in brain, nervous system, joint function and more. Good fats are actually quite medicinal to the body in many ways.

Anyway, I'm sorry that this is SO long! But if I can help anyone in anyway by passing g this info along, then that's good enough for me. :)

I'm having a issue with our kitten and I'd like to try these ideas for him as I believe he's aneimic, where would I find these items and how much should I add to his daily diet.

I can not afford a vet visit much less a high vet Bill and this guy here needs help pronto.

I will also get him some nutracal but I really think doing this here would be cheaper on my already empty pocket book.

Thank you kindly

Thank you for the helpful information you provided. One of my cats had been very sick. I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a very advanced anemia. It was so advanced that I was told he might not make it through the night. He received a blood transfusion. I brought him home and I started researching how to treat his anemia. I started giving him coconut oil, and Flor-essence. In a couple of days his appetite returned and he was able to walk again. He is meowing and purring again. Your post saved my cat's life!!! Thank you!!

Hello Angel Heart I call you that because I m currently becoming a hack vet because of my Siamese Kitticin Frankie Sinautra's cronic anemia.(yes his eyes are blue and crossed)and I have recently discovered blood in Frankies urine. I do not know how long this has been going on but he started to pee outside the box. So I switched to puppy pee pee absorbent pads. thats when I saw the color of his urine. At 1:55 am I squeezed it out of the pad and took a sample to the vet for analysis. Frankie received a antibiotic shot for possible blood infection and when we returned home that day he no longer needed the pads. I have spent thousands saw 8 different vets and a specialist for Frankie and still have not found the reason for his anemia. Have been giving him the liver and the yeast flakes but have not heard of the other detoxifying items. For this information I truly thank you. Is it possible that the cos of Frankies anemia can be traced threw the urine and finally give me the answer? anyone with any suggestions to help 6 year old Frankie is much appreciated.

Very good information, I am familiar with everything you suggested, just didn't think about them... But I will be using them!

Thanks, Jim

How much Flor-Essence and/or coconut oil do you give a cat and how do you give it to them? Our 13 yr olf cat was diagnosed with anemia and given steroids, but he isn't eating much or drinking water so I'm nit sure how to give him these other things you mentioned. Any advice would be great! Thank you!!!

How is your kitty doing now? I am in a very similar situation. Just had a blood transfusion and he is doing much better. We didn't think he would make it through the night. He has severe anemia due to FeLV.

Thank you for the lecture !!

I learned how to treat the anemia of my 5years old cat! I really hope that he be with us many more years !

Nutritionist person, please cite your study sources. This would give your citations validity and as you know, anything but is not considered scholarly.